Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tollymain posted:

my favorite timelines are the ones where the zenpencils guy never possessed the ambition and work ethic to create poorly thought-out comics and put them on the interweb

That sounds like a terrible timeline, lacking the unintentional hilarity that makes this one great..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the only good zen pencils is the one where Hayao Miyazaki gets in a mech suit and destroys all of Gavin's internet #haters, unedited

"I should have used a fictional name to make it clear the character is meant to be a tribute."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zen Pencils, huh.

I like Chainsawsuit even on the rare occasion that it's not trying to be funny.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bongo Bill posted:

Zen Pencils, huh.

I like Chainsawsuit even on the rare occasion that it's not trying to be funny.
Chainsawsuit has three moods, "absurdist humor", "absurdist satire", and "insightful satire". (Plus the occasional "biting political satire".)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do forget just how stupid that Zen Pencils multi part ART VS HATE thing really was.

Just, Jesus Christ. Miyazaki as your founder and leader of Art that defends artists from haters?

I just don't even know how to begin to approach that

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its one of the big things about his comic. I imagine his parents forced him down an engineering degree and this is how he's getting back at them or something by having every comic rail against 'conformity' and STEM. :v:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its one of the big things about his comic. I imagine his parents forced him down an engineering degree and this is how he's getting back at them or something by having every comic rail against 'conformity' and STEM. :v:

I think he might have worked in advertising or something where he drew commercial stuff. Pretty sure one of his comic's illustrations was supposed to be of himself, where his scratch paper doodles come to life and applaud him as he tells his boss to gently caress off and quits his job because anyone working a stable 9-5 is a worthless sadsack who has given up on dreams and happiness.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Chainsawsuit has three moods, "absurdist humor", "absurdist satire", and "insightful satire". (Plus the occasional "biting political satire".)

Kris Straub has really good comedic timing, imho. Wish he was doing more long-form stuff these days.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Kris Straub has really good comedic timing, imho. Wish he was doing more long-form stuff these days.

Is Broodhollow still going?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Zerilan posted:

Is Broodhollow still going?

It stalled out a while back, unfortunately. Apparently having a kid absolutely ruined his schedule and he wasn't able to keep it going.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

That ridiculous Ordinary People vs Creative People comic reminded me of Zen Pencils, but for all its own mockworthiness, it was never inherently as spiteful as Zen Pencils can be (Intentionally, anyway).

I think that it has gotten slightly better with the psedo biographical strips, but not by a whole lot.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zerilan posted:

I think he might have worked in advertising or something where he drew commercial stuff. Pretty sure one of his comic's illustrations was supposed to be of himself, where his scratch paper doodles come to life and applaud him as he tells his boss to gently caress off and quits his job because anyone working a stable 9-5 is a worthless sadsack who has given up on dreams and happiness.

He worked in some environment like that. I remember being baffled that he'd never heard of Ayn Rand despite coming from a corporate background.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah so he just threw in that Ayn Rand quote because it sounded inspirational but not knowing anything else about her?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

He worked in some environment like that. I remember being baffled that he'd never heard of Ayn Rand despite coming from a corporate background.

Isn't he from some Asian country? Maybe she's not that well known there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Broodhollow is absurdly good, and Kris Straub's long-form stuff keeps getting better as he ages, so it's really sad that Broodhollow stalled out. It makes sense, though, getting married and having a kid kinda forces you to prioritize, and an already-popular gag comic ilike Chainsawsuit is gonna pay better for your time than a difficult-to-write story comic. I can also relate to the mental health issues he's mentioned.

I put in for the first book's kickstarter, and I'll keep patreon-ing or whatever it takes. But, idunno if a third book is in the cards, especially after two false starts. I suspect that sometimes a story just feels like it has somewhere to go, but no write-able path is gonna get you there. The logistics of creating a story that both gets you from point A to point B to point C, and is also compelling or fun the whole way between those points, isn't always a solvable problem (or solvable with a constrained amount of time and emotional energy).

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahah so he just threw in that Ayn Rand quote because it sounded inspirational but not knowing anything else about her?

You could say this about most of his quotes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well....

Zen Pencils posted:

Ayn Rand (1905-1982) was a Russian-American writer and philiosopher. She’s famous for her two novels, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and creating a new system of philosophy called Objectivism. I didn’t know anything about her before adapting this quote but she seems to have lived a very interesting life. Rand grew up in Russia during the Russian Revolution and later moved to America where she worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood before gaining fame with her first novel, The Fountainhead. After success as a novelist she focused on philosophy and formed a new system called Objectivism, a way of thinking that places reason above everything else. Rand was a strong, out-spoken woman who definitely lived by the words in this quote. Anyone here recommend The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged? Thanks to Luciana for submitting the quote.

Hogge Wild posted:

Isn't he from some Asian country? Maybe she's not that well known there.

Australia, I think?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Australia, I think?

Born and raised in Perth, according to his website. He's either just regular ignorant, or cynical.

I had never seen the Game of Thrones strip...AND it's a Bukowski quote? I think he's just an all around idiot.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 9, 2017

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I remember there being another Bukowski comic with a guy getting tools to do art with, but doing nothing with them...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ZeroCount posted:

You could say this about most of his quotes.

your av and gangtags are awesome!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Australia, I think?

close enough

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Always Human just wrapped and yeah. Pretty great all in all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ConanThe3rd posted:

This is awful.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Not a fan of auto-play music?

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not a fan of auto-play music?

Nah, just 'the queers'.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Daphnaie posted:

Nah, just 'the queers'.

lol what I had in mind was the general insipidness of its art, writing and music, and how it looks and reads like baby's first not-manga.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't mind the art much. The initial outburst from that character is a bit excessive but after that it levels out into a readable comic about queer relationships and life with a disability. The exposition could be done better some times, but I wouldn't call it insipid. :shrug:

I only just read some now though so maybe it turns into Questionable Content at the halfway mark, who knows

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I still hate that style of paneling. They could fit everything that happened there in a single page. Then you wouldn't have to spend more time scrolling than reading.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Spark That Bled posted:

I remember there being another Bukowski comic with a guy getting tools to do art with, but doing nothing with them...

no, it was a 2 part comic about a kid getting a hammer to beat his bullies with but iirc bukowski estate lawyers got involved and it was removed

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

fun hater posted:

no, it was a 2 part comic about a kid getting a hammer to beat his bullies with but iirc bukowski estate lawyers got involved and it was removed

lol

link

e: ahahaha found it: http://zenpencils.com/comic/97-charles-bukowski-air-and-light-and-time-and-space/

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 11, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the impossibility of being webcomics

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have the Elliot Rodgers version of that hammer comic?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Bukowski comic is something else, hammer comic (A three part series!) is still up:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zeeman posted:

Bukowski comic is something else, hammer comic (A three part series!) is still up:
That comic reads like it was written by three different people each trying to impart a different moral.
"FIGHT VIOLENCE WITH VIOLENCE"
"BUT THEN YOU'LL GO TO PRISON"
"DADS ARE COOL"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone took the wrong lessons away from the claw hammer scene in Drive...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really hate that host, can't copy/paste to imgur for the badcomics thread.

The best Zen Pencils.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

I really hate that host, can't copy/paste to imgur for the badcomics thread.

Embrace madness, screencap everything.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

JethroMcB posted:

Born and raised in Perth, according to his website. He's either just regular ignorant, or cynical.

Our city's greatest shame. I saw one of his books in a technical bookshop, which was highly upsetting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anti-magic posted:

Our city's greatest shame. I saw one of his books in a technical bookshop, which was highly upsetting.

You ought to be glad to still have a technical bookshop.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Well, that explains why I seem to be the only one here who remembers the other Bukowski ZenPencils comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Zeeman posted:

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, you can go apeshit with a hammer and become a man my son. Then you will be sad and be a boy again so we can play catch I guess????

• Locked thread