Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

"Void Shatter"

1UU
Instant
Devoid (This card has no color.)

Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Literally just Dissipate with devoid.

quote:

"Dimensional Infiltrator"
1U
Devoid (This card has no color.)

Flash, flying

1◊: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return Dimensional Infiltrator to its owner's hand.
I guess unlike the other cards in the cycle this is just weird rather than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheLawinator posted:

Cloud of Faeries also helps it surge.

It's okay as a spire golem wannabe if you're not playing all islands I guess. Maybe in like UWx or UBx

In a world where you're just playing islands and bolt exists in the format I don't think it's better than Spire Golem though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Oh hey potential Pauper playable. Hopefully Cloud and/or Delver eat a ban so I'm incentivized to try it.

pauper is actually a pretty powerful format I think, would people even play a straight up 2U 3/3 flier?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah Inflitrator is just weird, but hey 2 mana for 2 power, that's cool

Devoid Dissipate is meh but Dissipate was played back in Innistrad so who knows it may be played again, tho I think Scatter has better value usually

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah Inflitrator is just weird, but hey 2 mana for 2 power, that's cool

Devoid Dissipate is meh but Dissipate was played back in Innistrad so who knows it may be played again, tho I think Scatter has better value usually

In a world with Jace I think devoid dissipate is already pretty reasonable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

In a world with Jace I think devoid dissipate is already pretty reasonable.

Oh yeah, I totes forgot about that, yeah counter/exile something that Jace could flashback is pretty good, and it's not like Scatter actually gets cast for Awaken ever

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Literally just Dissipate with devoid.

I guess unlike the other cards in the cycle this is just weird rather than good.

That's super weird.
I guess you can flash it in, block, and try to return it to your hand before combat damage.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Dimensional Infiltrator does some work as a Processor enabler, and can be a way to get a cheap spell in your hand for Surge if necessary. Plus two flash flying power for two. It's not the worst rare.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I misread it as a cast trigger. Seems OK, flash fliers are decent and it has some chance to protect itself.

Kinda hope there's a surge deck in standard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have we seen anything in this set yet that actually makes use of exiled cards? There don't seem to be any processors.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Processing was Ulamog's deal cause he like to eat . True colorless seems to be Kozilek's schtick as the mind Eldrazi.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there should still be ulamog poo poo around because ulamog didn't actually lose last time, we probably just haven't seen it yet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Dimensional Infiltrator does some work as a Processor enabler, and can be a way to get a cheap spell in your hand for Surge if necessary. Plus two flash flying power for two. It's not the worst rare.

Vaporkin with Flash would be a reasonably high pick in most draft sets and it's significantly better than that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The two surge commons look great for draft

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

pauper is actually a pretty powerful format I think, would people even play a straight up 2U 3/3 flier?

Stitched Drake is really good if you can avoid getting it Snapped, and I'm playing three Stormbound Geist in my Delver 75. Beefy fliers are just good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yeah I misread it as a cast trigger. Seems OK, flash fliers are decent and it has some chance to protect itself.

That card is meh but the new Bushwacker is insane.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elyv posted:

Tap your lands gush play a 3/3 flier seems very good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I'm definitely going to be trying out the new bushwacker. I think cards with dash should help you to keep spells later than you normally would in an aggro deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yeah I'm definitely going to be trying out the new bushwacker. I think cards with dash should help you to keep spells later than you normally would in an aggro deck.

You don't even need dash cards other than maybe Zurgo. You have Dragon Fodder and Wild Shash/Fiery Impulse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Tap your lands gush play a 3/3 flier seems very good

why the hell is gush legal in any format besides actual vintage

Sure, I'll draw 2 for free and also hard counter wasteland/strip mine

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GeneX posted:

why the hell is gush legal in any format besides actual vintage

Sure, I'll draw 2 for free and also hard counter wasteland/strip mine

In response I'll float UU > Gush > Counterspell.

Because that's reasonable right? :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cernunnos posted:

In response I'll float UU > Gush > Counterspell.

Because that's reasonable right? :v:

Look, I'm not saying it's bad that it's legal; I love the card. Just sort of shocked.

Gush is banned in freaking Legacy; how is it legal in Pauper?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

While Pauper has a few wonky things in it, there's way less ways to combo stuff to abuse with it. Gush has legitimate downsides to it, sort of. Meanwhile Gush in Legacy would probably involve in a ton of different unstoppable winning combos.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GeneX posted:

Look, I'm not saying it's bad that it's legal; I love the card. Just sort of shocked.

Gush is banned in freaking Legacy; how is it legal in Pauper?

pauper doesn't have force of will and all the storm stuff is banned.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The two surge commons look great for draft

yeah i like them a lot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

there should still be ulamog poo poo around because ulamog didn't actually lose last time, we probably just haven't seen it yet

maro has said there are no processors in oath, iirc

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Weird, but it looks like there are still ways to get exiles in So they won't be a complete waste.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Weird, but it looks like there are still ways to get exiles in So they won't be a complete waste.

There's plenty of wastes in oath either way.

Without seeing the commons it's hard to say but the there are definitely rares that exile cards belonging to either player.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

There's plenty of wastes in oath either way.

Without seeing the commons it's hard to say but the there are definitely rares that exile cards belonging to either player.

:v:

Also yeah I know but I still have a good feeling about the draft environment. We've seen a handful of commons and they all look solid, and the uncommons on average look very strong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Forget that. There's probably a goblin deck in the making now. Bushwacker Wannabe, Piledriver, and now this.

There's also two goblin token spells in right now as well. And Zada if you're feeling gimmicky.

And Atarka's Command for going wide.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
MTGO Modern Flashbacks, Week 1 - Eighth Edition

This was a total garbage format that plays a lot like you'd imagine pretty much any early coreset format to play. Most of the creatures are vanilla and bad and a lot of them have random bullshit like Landwalk making creature combat both non-interactive yet painfully slow since everything is a grizzly bear. Even the rares you'd open were terrible horseshit which would rarely do much to win the game. The games I did play were, as I said, Bear on Bear combat. The only real saving grace for the format as a whole was the fact that you could pull Blood Moon or Ensnaring Bridge. Ninth Edition in a few weeks is another core set that wasn't designed for limited play, yet it doesn't even have Ensnaring Bridge or Choke (which is a good 3 tix on MTGO)

This week, Jan. 6 - Jan. 13: Mirrodin-Mirrodin-Mirrodin

Valuable cards: Oblivion Stone (35 tix), Chalice of the Void (10 tix) and Glimmervoid (10 tix) are all worth a decent amount. There's actually a few commons worth a decent amount

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh yeah i want to do that draft, gotta redownload MTGO and see if my old account is still active -_-

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Forget that. There's probably a goblin deck in the making now. Bushwacker Wannabe, Piledriver, and now this.

There's also two goblin token spells in right now as well. And Zada if you're feeling gimmicky.

And Atarka's Command for going wide.

may i direct you to this week's budget magic?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Can't wait to try a draft while high as balls

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I doubt the servers are up yet, so there's no rush. They do downtime on Wedensdays which inexplicably goes until like noon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Bushwhacker and this new Gobbo will probably make this deck A Thing.

Hopefully.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Can't wait to try a draft while high as balls

MODO is the least fun way to do this

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, thanks to the hi-res wallpaper cover of the newest Molly Hatchet album of Linvala, we can now determine that she does in fact have a second leg, its just in front of her and all the other things that look like legs are just random pieces of cloth that happen to look like legs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

quote:

quincognito asked: From a design standpoint, why did you go with a mechanic like processing when you couldn't actually support it enough in a single set? Lots of people were waiting to see how Oath would complete the mechanic so knowing BFZ was all it got makes it feel super incomplete.

Mechanics serve the set and not vice versa. The mechanic represented the hunger of Ulamog and so it went in the Ulamog-themed set. In order for the Kozilek set to feel Kozilek-themed, we had to let go of the Ulamog mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I want to play Linvala Returns: Rise of the Eldrazi XIII

• Locked thread