Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Sitting on the curb like it's a bench makes you look like riff raff, double so if you're smoking. Also any sort of public spitting is 100% riff-raff behavior and I think singapore has the right idea about respecting public property.

I knew a family when I was a kid who would spit on their own carpet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Orange is the new black is not good. The lack of any logic or realism counteracts any kind of "humanizing" attempts it tries to make. I'm getting toward the end of the latest season and the prisoners have been in complete control of the prison this whole time with one single gun and the police haven't raided the place yet. The way these prisoners act they could easily sneak someone in there, take out whatever high lesbian has the gun and end it all in an hour.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think singapore has the right idea about respecting public property.

I dream of a world where pavement isn't 20% chewing gum

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hawowanlawow posted:

I knew a family when I was a kid who would spit on their own carpet

What the fuuuuuck. Were they raised by animals and had never been indoors before?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

well why not posted:

I dream of a world where pavement isn't 20% chewing gum

In San Francisco it's impossible to avoid human poop everywhere. I would not lick the soles of my shoes for $10,000.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Sitting on the curb like it's a bench makes you look like riff raff, double so if you're smoking. Also any sort of public spitting is 100% riff-raff behavior and I think singapore has the right idea about respecting public property.

Correct usage of riff raff here. Spitting without a reason (a bug flew in, a mass coughing or sneezing fit) is bullshit. Chewing tobacco is not a reason. You should swallow that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

In San Francisco it's impossible to avoid human poop everywhere. I would not lick the soles of my shoes for $10,000.

I'm constantly doing little jumps and adjusting my stride to step over the piss-rivers that trickle out of nearly every recessed doorway or potential piss hiding spot. Luckily poo poo isn't a huge problem, yet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I'm constantly doing little jumps and adjusting my stride to step over the piss-rivers that trickle out of nearly every recessed doorway or potential piss hiding spot. Luckily poo poo isn't a huge problem, yet.

This kind of stuff is why I'll always prefer suburbs/small towns and just commute to work. Pros of big city: easy access to public transportation, maybe you can walk to a bar. Cons: cramped, expensive low quality poorly maintained shared apartments, everything smells like piss, and basically everything else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This kind of stuff is why I'll always prefer suburbs/small towns and just commute to work. Pros of big city: easy access to public transportation, maybe you can walk to a bar. Cons: cramped, expensive low quality poorly maintained shared apartments, everything smells like piss, and basically everything else.

It's usually fine, it's just at certain times when the bars get out. We also have a homeless epidemic going on at the moment so a lot more pissing. I'll take piss streams over never having to drive anywhere though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

Sounds like a trash city full of trash people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicago smells fine because we mastered alleys

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The smell of stale piss on hot pavement mixed with a slight whiff of cigarette smoke always reminds me of good times in Europe. This is what any settlement over 100k or so smells like in all of europe. Sometimes a slight mix of old combined sewer/storm drain.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

Sounds like a trash city full of trash people

When I have visitors come over they are always shocked at the number of homeless people. Even people from New York. The city is a pigsty.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have you all heard of a place called Des Moines, IA? The Best City?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

The smell of stale piss on hot pavement mixed with a slight whiff of cigarette smoke always reminds me of good times in Europe. This is what any settlement over 100k or so smells like in all of europe. Sometimes a slight mix of old combined sewer/storm drain.

Geneva smelled like a middle school locker room to me - a ton of people who need to be told what the gently caress "deodorant" is (e: actually this applies to most places inhabited mostly by the french). Zurich was pretty good in terms of avoiding smelling like piss except for the elevators to take you up to the bus stop in some places.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jun 20, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

When I have visitors come over they are always shocked at the number of homeless people. Even people from New York. The city is a pigsty.

Mild winters + severe housing shortage/bubble result in the same thing. It's very similar in Vancouver and Victoria. When a 1br apartment is at least 1500-2000 and a small condo is 800k you're going to end up with some street poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jastiger posted:

Yes when I think of amazing cities Des Moines loving Iowa always pops up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Even if I could find employment in my field in Des Moines I wouldn't live there out of fear of being confronted by Jastiger for being from the dreaded South.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will never get over that a dude from fuckin Iowa is the one ragging on the south.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know I really, really need to feel more sympathy for the homeless, but living in Portland warped me. I don't wish harm on anybody. But it's really nice to be able to walk down the street in broad daylight without being yelled at, threatened or sexually harassed. Boy, was I taking that privilege for granted.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Das Boo posted:

I know I really, really need to feel more sympathy for the homeless, but living in Portland warped me. I don't wish harm on anybody. But it's really nice to be able to walk down the street in broad daylight without being yelled at, threatened or sexually harassed. Boy, was I taking that privilege for granted.

You were totally asking for it with that dress on though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Field Mousepad posted:

You were totally asking for it with that dress on though.

Serves me right! What did I think would happen, existing?! :argh:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even if I could find employment in my field in Des Moines I wouldn't live there out of fear of being confronted by Jastiger for being from the dreaded South.

There is a toxx already in place. You come to des moines, jastiger buys you a beer. Its all good, we take all comers who want to live in our shining land!

Das Boo, come to Des Moines, that poo poo doesnt happen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One of my greatest fears is that I go to Des Moines and discover that Jastiger is actually pretty cool in person and we end up getting along pretty well.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Jastiger posted:

Das Boo, come to Des Moines, that poo poo doesnt happen.

Yeah, but then you're in Des Moines.

Come to Toronto, we're actually a good city and our homeless problem is way less bad than the west coast and the US eastern seaboard.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

In Texas the homeless simply burn to death

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My unpopular opinion is that Jastiger is fine and has mostly correct views on "the south" but exaggerates his hatred and violent solutions because it seems to really effectively troll people who seem to get legitimately upset.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

One of my greatest fears is that I go to Des Moines and discover that Jastiger is actually pretty cool in person and we end up getting along pretty well.

This would probably happen but i'd still be playing all the times he called me riffraff through my head and it would just make it uncomfortable.

If I ever do take him up on his toxx I'm definitely making him buy me a bud/miller/coors light instead of a craft/local beer though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bamabalacha posted:

Yeah, but then you're in Des Moines.

Come to Toronto, we're actually a good city and our homeless problem is way less bad than the west coast and the US eastern seaboard.

lol
As for Canada, I've only ever been to Regina and Vancouver. Regina seemed nice and quiet, Vancouver was Portland V2 in terms of heroin. I have never seen so many folks shooting up in the street on a warm summer day. At least the dude who came up and asked if I wanted to buy any was very nice about it?

I think the only place I've been with more aggressive homeless folks than Portland was Seattle. Even in Dhaka, I was able to walk home from school without someone yelling at me. Seattle, not so much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We had a homeless guy try to move into our gangway once. We kicked him out whenever we saw him but didn't care too too much until he took a poo poo next to our downstairs neighbors window and looked in on her and her son while they were watching TV.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Das Boo posted:

lol
As for Canada, I've only ever been to Regina and Vancouver. Regina seemed nice and quiet, Vancouver was Portland V2 in terms of heroin. I have never seen so many folks shooting up in the street on a warm summer day. At least the dude who came up and asked if I wanted to buy any was very nice about it?

I think the only place I've been with more aggressive homeless folks than Portland was Seattle. Even in Dhaka, I was able to walk home from school without someone yelling at me. Seattle, not so much.

Where in Seattle? I've never had this problem.

Except for the one guy on St. Patrick's Day about how Muslims were running the prisons but that was a special experience.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

We had a homeless guy try to move into our gangway once. We kicked him out whenever we saw him but didn't care too too much until he took a poo poo next to our downstairs neighbors window and looked in on her and her son while they were watching TV.

Is there another meaning for gangway that I'm not aware of or do you live on a ship?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there another meaning for gangway that I'm not aware of or do you live on a ship?

Little sidewalk thing between two buildings.

edit:

Like this:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vancouver BC is a cultureless wasteland full of the worst conspicuous consumption. Yes there's pretty mountains but the whole city is a rapidly inflating pimple of real-estate speculation and its residents are the pus filling. The whole place needs a good popping.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Little sidewalk thing between two buildings.

edit:

Like this:

Live and learn. (I would have called that an alleyway.)

e: Definitely primo homeless real estate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Allies are just one car streets with garbage in them. Surprisingly not a very good homeless spot. Enclosed ATM vestibules at banks are another prime location.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Allies are just one car streets with garbage in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley :shrug:

e: What a thing is depends on where you're from. :eng101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I clearly said allies. Allies are just garbage streets. Of course alleys can be whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Where in Seattle? I've never had this problem.

Except for the one guy on St. Patrick's Day about how Muslims were running the prisons but that was a special experience.

I visit a friend every year who lives a few streets off Pike, so around that area. She's laughed at me for the bizarre incidents that happen when I visit. Maybe I'm just one of those people? I'm staring at the sidewalk and over heads, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(