Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Re: rice

Points taken! I appreciate that musubi is probably a dish that is meant to be prepared earlier and taken out with, but I do love eating it with freshly grilled spam. So maybe my approach is just to prepare the rice ahead of time and throw it in a box and still fry the spam on site. Food for thought, pun intended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If it's figure 9 carabiners you're talking about, they make small plastic ones that weigh 2 grams and cost 2-3 bucks each. At that price/weight I find them great for quickly setting up tarp ridgelines in dark/wind/other adverse conditions or with cold hands.

Never figured out a use case for the chonky giant metal ones tho.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jorath posted:

Agreed with the sentiment - don't buy someone who's an expert in something a gift for that interest. They've probably thought about it for hours more than you will as a gift-giver.

Also, learn the taught-line hitch, it's nearly as good and requires far less material.

For sure, taught line and truckers hitches are my two favorites. I meant to say taught line as it's my most used, brain fart. The trucker is used when I need a lot more tension on a line but I don't use it as often.

This is the thing I was gifted (the figure 9s are more ideal and lighter). Plus these things aren't cheap, and you would need several to secure a standard tarp. I think they're at least $10-20/ea.

I'll just stick with my knots.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

What did everyone here get for Christmas?

Yeti cooler, merino socks, merino underwear, and a national parks hat.

Idk how they do it but my family always manages to pick something related to my hobby that is well regarded and which I don't already have.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
**Forgot about what I got for christimas***

Nothing too outdoor related. I'm a huge hockey fan and my wife and I are going to the winter classic outdoor game here in seattle. She got me a kraken winter classic jersey which is something I wouldn't have bought myself. I'm pretty good on outdoor stuff at the moment. This year I bought a helinox zero chair and its been fantastic. I got invited to amazon vine so I got a bunch of random little outdoor things here and there (gloves, ski goggles, lots of rope, nice carabiners, etc).

The one cool thing I got from work was a 4 day ikon pass, we get $300/year towards "wellness" so ski passes count. Snow is pretty dismal right now though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

COPE 27 posted:

That tent gave me such bad claustrophobia I started cowboy camping in mosquito season.
If you really wanna try it and you're near me I'll give it to you for free.

St. Louis area?

I'm not worried about claustrophobia in small tents. Or anywhere else, really, but not in tents. Most of my tents growing up were the little pup tents that felt small even when I was 12 years old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Small tents only bug me when it's dumping buckets. Any tent will soak through when it's like that but when you're millimeters from the wall and every shift of your arm sends drops down your back.. ugh gently caress that.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Quebec, it would be like $30 to ship if that's worth it to you for a $100 tent

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Do it! I had one years ago and it's a fun little tent.

Looking forward to my bomber Eureka Timberline being handed down to my kids. What a fun nostalgic brand.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Christmas gear: a flextail pump for sleeping pads, an ultralight pillow (tbd if it’s actually comfy or not), and a northville placid trail guidebook. Got my wife a durston kakwa 55 which should be here any day now. Probably getting myself a zpacks arc haul 70 “for Christmas “ too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, so does it count if I bought it for myself?

BA Blacktail 2 Hotel bikepack tent + footprint
BA Rapide SL mat
Flextail Zero portable air pump
Giant Loop motocycle 25L/25L pannier set
Knockoff Toaks 750+450 titanium pot set and generic silicone pourover coffee cone from Uncle Bezos

I’m probably missing a bunch of Amazon odds and ends but that pretty much sets me up for some spring motocamping I think.

I still need to go buy a fuel canister since I have literally no idea how much is left on the one I have lying around from three years ago. I used it on a five night kayak trip so it’s probably due for a replacement anyway. And as I pack I have room for another travel pillow. I’m a pillow-fort side sleeper so I might grab one or two more infltables to take along just so I’m in my element.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 30, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
As a side sleeper I find inflatable pillows difficult to get comfortable on. They do pack incredibly small though which is a huge bonus. If you're moto camping, maybe look into something with a good bit of foam on top, or fully foam. They have a squish that air pillows don't have. The other problem with air pillows is bounce. Any movement might cause your head to bounce and it drives me nuts. With all gear though, what doesn't work for me might be great for someone else.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verman posted:

As a side sleeper I find inflatable pillows difficult to get comfortable on. They do pack incredibly small though which is a huge bonus. If you're moto camping, maybe look into something with a good bit of foam on top, or fully foam. They have a squish that air pillows don't have. The other problem with air pillows is bounce. Any movement might cause your head to bounce and it drives me nuts. With all gear though, what doesn't work for me might be great for someone else.

I'm a side sleeper as well and don't mind an inflatable pillow, but I typically augment it with some clothing in a stuff sack or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The nemo fillo is pretty tolerable for side sleeping. For me anyways. It usually takes a couple adjustments to get the pressure right, it's not very comfortable filled to 100%.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got two different Nemo Fillios and they're great so long as you barely inflate them. My favorite pillows by far.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I got nipple tape and a plush mountain goat

One year I had a girlfriend get me some subscription to one of those places that sends you crappy hiking stuff every month. I think everything went into the trash except for the LED lantern and the electronic lighter

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It's not technically gear, but my mom got me a subscription to Adventure Journal years ago and keeps renewing it as a gift each year. It's good, I enjoy it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also if anybody ever needs ideas, America the beautiful pass is always a good gift to receive.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Verman posted:

Also if anybody ever needs ideas, America the beautiful pass is always a good gift to receive.

This extremely depends on where you live/travel tbh

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In my past week+ of backyard camping experiments, I discovered that I'm a side-sleeper and a good pillow makes all the difference. Stuff I thought wasn't for me actually worked pretty good once I was able to isolate the biggest source of discomfort. I played around with some throw pillows until I found one that was comfortable and found a camping pillow with similar dimensions. Yay!

Unfortunately, the local REI had some inventory issues and all the Aeros pillows they thought they had didn't actually exist. There was a used Nemo Fillo for a third of MSRP which I bought because a bargain is a bargain. It's bulky and heavy but damned if it wasn't one of the best outside sleeps I've had despite being on a z-sol in a bivy at around 35F. My ground camping base weight varies between 9 and 12 lbs so I might just keep it as my primary pillow anyways.

I don't have friends into backpacking so thanks for listening to my ted talk :smith:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Guest2553 posted:

I don't have friends into backpacking so thanks for listening to my ted talk :smith:

Well you do now :hfive:

Have your sleep system dialed in is such an epiphany. In my teens and 20s I thought camping was just supposed to be kinda uncomfortable but I just had subpar gear. Love to set up camp and sleep like a baby in nature.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Freaquency posted:

Well you do now :hfive:

:hfive:

Also same with comfort. Growing up my family was really into car camping/travel trailer camping. I assumed we either brought a trailer and slept well, or we slept on the bare rear end ground with a flannel sleeping bag and no pad.

When I started backpacking I assumed comfort while sleeping was a fantasy because zpads were common and my 1.5" self inflating thermararest was considered luxe at the time. Once I switched to a 4" insulated air pad and a dedicated pillow, my life changed. I started sleeping like I do at home and the weight didn't really increase much. Early Air pads were prone to leaks and punctures but modern pads are great.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Haha yeah, my earliest camping was with church groups that didn't know what they were doing because boy scouts was too secular :rolleyes:. Which, in retrospect, came in useful when I did the army thing for a bit and assumed that everything would suck and be uncomfortable. But I am no longer in the army so fuuuuuck thaaaaaat shiiiiiiiiit.

:unsmith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up picking up a last minute addition in the form of a MEC Camp Pillow. It's not inflatable and not terribly tiny but I was able to test-cram it into my panniers next to my sleeping bag. It's really floppy and full of shredded closed cell foam so it has a bit of a comfortably lumpy texture (I can't explain this, it's comfortable, you'll have to take my word for it). This basically feels identical to the super floppy pillow I sleep on in bed so it really feels natural. I did a test sleep on the couch downstairs the other night and it honestly felt like it was what put my upcoming sleep system over the top. Additional thanks to whoever uttered the magic incantation of "barely inflate" on my other existing camp pillows, I now feel like I have something that approximates a real pillow fort instead of two taut balloons under my head.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Any recommendations for some good cold-cool weather hiking pants?

I’ve got good stuff for warm hikes, but my cold weather pants are straight up roasting me after a mile if it’s above 20f. I’m slumming it with long underwear bottoms and jeans for day hikes right now, but would really prefer something more dedicated in the 20f-40f range.

Aiming for under $200. I have some REI money left, so bonus points for REI availability, but definitely not required.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In that range I'm usually just layering long undies with some prana zions or kuhl renegades or whatever you wear at 40-60 F :shrug:

Layering is The Way

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I run the same pants just about year round - Fjallraven Keb pants.

They key is just adding/removing lower base layers as needed. The Bjorn (sp?) fishnet stuff means I basically never overheat and stay about perfect temp wise no matter how hard im working on my hike.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

For that range I had some $20 mountain warehouse tech pants, paired with a polypro base layer for calm but below freezing, wind pants if gusty, or snow pants if the snow was deeper than my gaiters were tall.

Thinking through the answer to that question made me realized that I have more layers than I realized lols.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Layering is key.

For those temps I would suggest a normal pair of technical hiking pants and long underwear beneath especially if you're active and moving. You might be chilly when you start but you'll be fine when active. There's a lot of fleece/lined hiking pants but they are often pretty thick/heavy and often far too warm when you're moving.

Prana Zion, Eddie Bauer guide pants, Costco special ... Whatever it is, use some long underwear under. I like the cheap synthetic long underwear (32°) from Costco as a thin long underwear layer. I love my back country merino mid weight stuff for colder weather.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They key is just adding/removing lower base layers as needed. The Bjorn (sp?) fishnet stuff means I basically never overheat and stay about perfect temp wise no matter how hard im working on my hike.

I'm a convert to merino fishnets in the last couple years and can recommend. I run really hot in general and they've been great for me in XC skiing where it's a constant struggle to both be warm enough when it's cold and windy and still not overheat on the uphills. I have some from Janus.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Verman posted:

:hfive:

Also same with comfort. Growing up my family was really into car camping/travel trailer camping. I assumed we either brought a trailer and slept well, or we slept on the bare rear end ground with a flannel sleeping bag and no pad.

When I started backpacking I assumed comfort while sleeping was a fantasy because zpads were common and my 1.5" self inflating thermararest was considered luxe at the time. Once I switched to a 4" insulated air pad and a dedicated pillow, my life changed. I started sleeping like I do at home and the weight didn't really increase much. Early Air pads were prone to leaks and punctures but modern pads are great.

My family was and still is very into trailer camping. I'm mostly a hiker, and I love being in the bush, so trailer parks near a beach aren't really my jam but there's something there for me anyway. My dad brought me back country hiking on the only trail we knew, which was (and remains to this day) incredibly poorly maintained. Combined with the gear and everything being heavy and frankly kinda lovely, I just assumed being unconfortable was a fact of life in the bush.

So I always just day hiked, and got a dog so that I would do it every day despite being in a relatively urban environment. My now-wife's friends are really into canoe camping, and it's opened up my eyes to a whole new world. With modern equipment, whether you are canoeing or hiking, there's no reason to be anymore uncomfortable deep in the backcountry than while you are car camping. Even car camping has improved considerably!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It’s happening!!!

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2024/01/05/an-alaska-company-is-working-to-build-a-better-bunny-boot/

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Very excited. I still have one of my Mickey mouse boots around here, somewhere. I went through 2 pairs in my field seasons in AK. They always separated at the toe box.

Then my feet got fat (how the gently caress?) and I could never find wides again.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

pumped up for school posted:

Very excited. I still have one of my Mickey mouse boots around here, somewhere. I went through 2 pairs in my field seasons in AK. They always separated at the toe box.

Then my feet got fat (how the gently caress?) and I could never find wides again.

as you age your bones spread and your feet get wider

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's true and it sucks. In my mid 30' I'm about to age out of shoe sizes that the store has in stock

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

I got an Amazon gift card and I'm planning on spending on a JetBoil Stash for backpacking. I've used friends' JetBoils and they are the kind of idiot-proof I crave. I haven't used many other types of stoves though and curious if there is any reason why I should absolutely not buy one. I know it's a proprietary system (right?) and not the lightest option, but I really want something in between extremely easy to use and not super heavy. I don't really cook when I camp; I'm mostly boiling water for coffee and rehydrating meals.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If all youre doing is boiling water than a canister style stove is perfectly fine. JetBoil, MSR, and plenty of others make them and theyre all essentially the same. A rocket stove with integrated cookpot cylinder with a heat exchanger. I'd opt to but some leg supports for the canister at the same time for like $5 just because they can be pretty tippy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My little Flextail Zero pump came in the mail today and I gotta say it's pretty neat. Inflates my BA pad in about two minutes. Honestly I probably inflated it in the same amount of time with the pump sack but it's nice nevertheless. I bought it with a rechargeable USB battery and the whole kit is hella tiny and light. I think the biggest problem will be not losing the endcaps for various brand inflatables I don't currently own.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been looking at doing some light mountaineering this summer (Muir, St. Helens, maaaybe Baker if things line up), and currently looking at outer layers - where there seems to be the least consensus on what's needed. I have all the basic layers multiple times over, but am a bit confused on hardshell needs - some of these seem to easily reach $500+ and it's hard to find consensus on what I'm even shopping for. Am I just looking for something heavy-duty-ish and waterproof with ventilation options? Something more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Lhet posted:

Been looking at doing some light mountaineering this summer (Muir, St. Helens, maaaybe Baker if things line up), and currently looking at outer layers - where there seems to be the least consensus on what's needed. I have all the basic layers multiple times over, but am a bit confused on hardshell needs - some of these seem to easily reach $500+ and it's hard to find consensus on what I'm even shopping for. Am I just looking for something heavy-duty-ish and waterproof with ventilation options? Something more specific?

Its sort of personal although most people tend to go with goretex pro jackets which yes, all go for like $500+. I dont think you need that to get started but the material is great and more robust than most lightweight goretex stuff which helps when you're dealing with ropes, ice axes, ice, and other tools.

If you've never done Adams, its a great intro to mountaineering just walking in crampons, climbing a steep slope with an ice axe, and a great place to practice self arrest without crevasse risk.