Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

So like is it a bug that’s gonna be eventually fixed or?

I couldn’t figure out how last time, but I do now think that it’s related to the GestureRecognizer because if you start the press while a scroll is still moving, it works normally. The recognizers are disabled during scroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Figured it out. It was an ios permissions issue.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turns out if you hold long enough you get root perms. Go figure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

holding all weekend like pannenkoek

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If I uploaded a video to imgur how TF do you embed it? The share link is just the webpage with the video but I’ve seen people directly embed stuff before.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

If I uploaded a video to imgur how TF do you embed it? The share link is just the webpage with the video but I’ve seen people directly embed stuff before.

Post a direct link to the mp4 and it will embed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

astral posted:

Post a direct link to the mp4 and it will embed.

Maybe I worded that wrong but the only thing Imgur spits out is

https://imgur.com/a/qD7DChP

I was wondering where people are getting the mp4 links from?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I worded that wrong but the only thing Imgur spits out is

https://imgur.com/a/qD7DChP

I was wondering where people are getting the mp4 links from?

For me, right-clicking on the video and choosing 'Copy Video Link'.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

For me, right-clicking on the video and choosing 'Copy Video Link'.

Yeah that’s what I’d do on my computer but I can’t seem to figure that out on iOS.

Used to be able to hot link from discord but I think they killed that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

imgur is actively user-hostile, especially so on mobile.

Discord image links work for a short time before they expire, which is more insidious because people are likely posting them without realizing that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

astral posted:

imgur is actively user-hostile, especially so on mobile.

Discord image links work for a short time before they expire, which is more insidious because people are likely posting them without realizing that.

Yeah I figured as much I was just thinking I was missing something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

astral posted:

I can't imagine what Discord's bandwidth bills were when they were being used as a de facto image host.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Figured it out. It was an ios permissions issue.

R u 4 real? We gotta get this patched in pronto, this has been the worst bug.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Here is a simple easy to follow 16-step guide to using the Imgur Android app, from the awful.apk thread. I'm sure the iOS method is probably similar.

Microplastics posted:

Your post spurred me to look into this a little closer. Turns out, it's a toss-up as to whether hidden images appear on the "hidden" tab or not, so "all" is your best bet.

So here is my tried and tested 16-tap guide for the imgur app

1. Open app
2. Tap upload button
3. Tap image(s)
4. Tap Next
5. Tap Post
6. Tap user account button
7. Tap "Public"
8. Tap "All"
9. Tap the freshly uploaded image
10. Tap it again
11. Tap the share button
12. Tap copy next to the URL
13. Switch to awful where your post is in draft
14. Tap BB button
15. Tap Insert Image
16. Tap OK

Voila

Actually it looks like around pg 215 the android people have integrated Imgur into the android app.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Imgur was implemented in this app before, it was a conscious decision to remove it when they announced they were going to start taking down a bunch of stuff

Also when the announcement came out SA admins acted like this was urgent enough they were going to act fast, there was supposed to be an in-house hosting solution coming "soon"

So a bunch of goons worked to ensure stuff was preserved and everything has been tumbleweeds and crickets since, so we got bamboozled there lol

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Tenkaris posted:

Imgur was implemented in this app before, it was a conscious decision to remove it when they announced they were going to start taking down a bunch of stuff

Also when the announcement came out SA admins acted like this was urgent enough they were going to act fast, there was supposed to be an in-house hosting solution coming "soon"

So a bunch of goons worked to ensure stuff was preserved and everything has been tumbleweeds and crickets since, so we got bamboozled there lol

I’ve only been on SA for half its life and I know relying on goons to act at any speed is a fools errand

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’ve only been on SA for half its life and I know relying on goons to act at any speed is a fools errand

In this case the goons didn't really fail us, the admins did. The goons downloaded files, posted hashes to confirm, and basically spent months after going "uh guys?" While the admins were radio silent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At this point maybe we should re-enable imgur posting, and go back to dealing with the maybe-quota errors getting posted in this thread every now and then. We could do a one-time “imgur might delete your poo poo :shrug:” or let people log into an imgur account, which I think makes them more likely to survive.

This poo poo is so annoying.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tenkaris posted:

Archiving the images was urgent; we had no idea when imgur would pull the images or how aggressively they'd clamp down on people archiving (which ended up being pretty brutal once they started). We also didn't know whether the archiving process would be sufficient to keep the affected images active. Thankfully, it was, so we were able to delay the replacement project for a bit.

Unfortunately, however, I've been out for most of the last year on family leave, and am only just starting to pick back up a little bit from where I left off. Sorry if that has left you feeling "bamboozled". My top priority is still going to be getting the backend PHP version upgraded, and after that I can start to worry about nice-to-have things like attachment improvements, which is the next thing on my list. In the meantime, I still have a lot going on but I will work on getting the hashes to compare with other archivists, and I will continue to fix bugs as they pop up / get reported. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

At this point maybe we should re-enable imgur posting, and go back to dealing with the maybe-quota errors getting posted in this thread every now and then. We could do a one-time “imgur might delete your poo poo :shrug:” or let people log into an imgur account, which I think makes them more likely to survive.

Requiring a login would probably be the safest in terms of imgur not deleting them right away.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

astral posted:

Requiring a login would probably be the safest in terms of imgur not deleting them right away.

I’m not 100% sure how to do that without a web site as part of the protocol, but I’ll squint at the docs and see what I can figure out.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

astral posted:

Archiving the images was urgent; we had no idea when imgur would pull the images or how aggressively they'd clamp down on people archiving (which ended up being pretty brutal once they started). We also didn't know whether the archiving process would be sufficient to keep the affected images active. Thankfully, it was, so we were able to delay the replacement project for a bit.

Unfortunately, however, I've been out for most of the last year on family leave, and am only just starting to pick back up a little bit from where I left off. Sorry if that has left you feeling "bamboozled". My top priority is still going to be getting the backend PHP version upgraded, and after that I can worry about nice-to-have things like attachment improvements, which is the next thing on my list afterwards. In the meantime, I still have a lot going on but I will work on getting the hashes to compare with other archivists, and I will continue to fix bugs as they pop up / get reported. :)

I used the word because it's in a commercial I see 10 times a night watching playoff hockey, not so much because it's the best term for the job. Sorry :) I know you're doing what you can with the time you can spare. But in the context of this thread, it's an argument that still comes up every few pages, I think if we had any idea of the timeline back then we would have just put up a warning and persisted.

https://youtu.be/3hsFwCno_RM?si=lu1BFBQP2W0CggO7

You got bamboozled!

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think it’s bad behaviour to have the attachments 2.0 timeline be unpredictable, or affected by things like personal leave or even a change in priority due to imgur keeping things around longer.

I just wish that there was more communication about the plans, letting us know when it’s decided to delay the project, or even that it’s on hold indefinitely. With that information I think we could have provided a better forums experience for app-using goons.

I think in the future that will go better, because of some additional information channels that are open now, but it was unfortunate that The Imgur And Attachments Thing played out the way it did.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Subjunctive posted:

astral posted:

From glancing at the awful apk thread (start on 214 or whatever) it looks like that app requires users to log into Imgur with their own account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

From glancing at the awful apk thread (start on 214 or whatever) it looks like that app requires users to log into Imgur with their own account.

We should just do that then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I’ll look at it when I’m feeling better. (I’m on a short medical leave from work this week, need to be resting.)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

that's my secret, astral... i'm always feeling bamboozled  :c00l:

(good luck with all the family stuff too)

(and @ Subjunctive also to you too with the medical stuff)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think it’s bad behaviour to have the attachments 2.0 timeline be unpredictable, or affected by things like personal leave or even a change in priority due to imgur keeping things around longer.

I just wish that there was more communication about the plans, letting us know when it’s decided to delay the project, or even that it’s on hold indefinitely. With that information I think we could have provided a better forums experience for app-using goons.

I think in the future that will go better, because of some additional information channels that are open now, but it was unfortunate that The Imgur And Attachments Thing played out the way it did.

Very much this. Just keep us in the loop. Even if things aren't moving forward.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
edit: it started working again

is the post image script broken for anyone else?

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 20, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Let's check

Working here

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/1a9468d0c98f48ab8dcbfe91728816f1

I updated the postimages shortcut. You can now share an image found online (like say one you found on twitter) directly instead of having to save the picture and share it from Photos.app, and now the shortcut will refuse to do anything if you were a dumb dumb and left location metadata on.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Thanks!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Testing

Works!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/23a7d4bbed2543fb8fe2254e5bbeac10

Same idea but this just removes metadata automatically

Btw Boris where exactly is that setting you are mentioning found in the settings? :)

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 23, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/cf6339fb436642d686782ebdfd794b33

Same idea but this just removes metadata automatically

Btw Boris where exactly is that setting you are mentioning found in the settings? :)

This one?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Success

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Oooh right in the share sheet itself, silly me. Thanks :cheers:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

Oooh right in the share sheet itself, silly me. Thanks :cheers:

Yep. 👍

(Reason I didn't add the auto covert is because that convert image action I think recompresses (resamples? Idk) jpegs making them worse quality, and I'd rather people just be more mindful about uploading pii by getting called out on it.)

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Will Awful ever have a search function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
https://i.postimg.cc/L8xDRx1K/IMG-0244.jpg

Edit: I’m doing something wrong cause if I choose Copy TIMG I just get the URL as what I can paste

Edit 2:
previous shortcut still works so I’ll just continue using that

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 23, 2024