Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sweet geek swag posted:

Are grown up models for Alisaie and Alphinaud a thing the devs have said they're working on, or is this just wishful thinking?

The latter.

People think "elezen take a while to have growth spurts" is foreshadowing a redesign but I think it's actually justifying a reason why they're not going to do one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Let me live my dreams of the WoL falling into a magical sleep and waking up years later to grown up versions of Alphinaud, Alisae, Ryne, and Gaia, who have teleported over from the First because they can do that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People kind of wish the twins would grow up because it's a little ridiculous that they haven't and are still treated as children even after everything they've accomplished, and also because if they aren't at least eighteen and probably more than that by now the game's timeline makes no sense at all.

But yeah, I'm starting to get the impression that they don't plan on doing this ever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's amusing to remember that everyone introduced before A Realm Reborn is 5 years older relative to the Warrior of Light than they "should" be. Mildly reversed Rydia syndrome.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
remember that after all this it's still 5 years after the calamity

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rand Brittain posted:

People kind of wish the twins would grow up because it's a little ridiculous that they haven't and are still treated as children even after everything they've accomplished, and also because if they aren't at least eighteen and probably more than that by now the game's timeline makes no sense at all.

But yeah, I'm starting to get the impression that they don't plan on doing this ever.

They did a one year time skip so they're 17 now. Anime rules.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Rand Brittain posted:

Unless they change the way the view the passage of time in the game, the twins aren't going to grow up. There's the possibility of them wanting to do something different and push the timeline forward in the future, but at present everyone and everything exists in a kind of nebulous time bubble that is always expanding but that barely or never passes. I think Tataru mentions a specific passage of time at one point, but it's a rare exception.

petcarcharodon posted:

remember that after all this it's still 5 years after the calamity

It's pretty much this. It's always 5 years after the Calamity. Which is ridiculous to think about because of everything that's gone down in that period, but it's not intended to be thought about.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Yeah Koji talked about it before and he directly compared it to The Simpsons

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well it's six years now that they've directly said Shadowbringers took about a year.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Well it's six years now that they've directly said Shadowbringers took about a year.

6 and some change. The prancing about between continents in SB was also said to take a month or so.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

There are only two ways we see grownup sprites of the twins:

- Some vision/time travel plot involving the future
- XIV straight up ends and there's some sort of timeskip in the final epilogue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think part of the reason they haven't committed to a concrete timeline is so you can have your own interpretation.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's not five years since the calamity, Tataru mentions in post Stormblood that it's been a year and a half since the banquet at the end of ARR so including ShB, it's been at least two years since the end of ARR.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, new players start at After Calamity 5, but we're at like After Calamity 7 probably. It's just that there aren't any like, major cities that blew up in that period inside of Eorzea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really the timeline's just intentionally vague. its not quite simpsons time where things never progress at all, its more just 'some undefined amount of years have passed.'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whenever you start a patch, they're always like "Oh hey WoL nice to see you again, it's been a while" as if the three months also passed in-universe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thankfully it’s usually supposed to be like a couple days or whatever.

I think the entire events of FF14 take place over a couple months?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Absolutely not.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Where did the backstory about Nael show up? The wiki doesn't cite anything, just says "the reveal was a mystery to English audiences until two years [after her face was revealed in Binding Coil]".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought that the time for the entire events of FF14 are never specifically determined but aren’t in excess of a year?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jokes posted:

I thought that the time for the entire events of FF14 are never specifically determined but aren’t in excess of a year?
I figure each X.0 storyline and its associated patch quests are a few months, each. So at this point it's been somewhere between two or three years, although it varies - ARR, Heavensward and Stormblood all need to be a couple of months minimum if only due to long distance travel, while Shadowbringers' MSQ could well be a month or less.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

They should just have them get a little taller in every scene in Endwalker until the end when you realize they're now your height. (assuming not lala)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I vaguely remember (mostly by way of joking about it) that while Eorzea-side timeframes aren't really mentioned, the implied timeframes say that the longest expansion by in-world time is Stormblood, largely by virtue of the multiple voyages across oceans.

I'm not sure how long the voyage between Eorzea and the Far East is, but people are implied to take it without teleporting... a lot of times.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bruceski posted:

Where did the backstory about Nael show up? The wiki doesn't cite anything, just says "the reveal was a mystery to English audiences until two years [after her face was revealed in Binding Coil]".

I think it was an urianger infodump or something. iirc (andI may be totally wrong here) the issue is that nael in the original Japanese was just straight up Actually a Woman The Whole Time, which they got away with by generally not using gendered pronouns in any relevant cutscenes or dialogue. English however defaulted to using he/him pronouns, because using they/them wasn’t as accepted in 2012 and koji + the localization team hadn’t been given any reason to think Nael wasn’t a dude, especially since their original model was rigged to a male elezen. When the face reveal happened, koji’s solution to this mismatch (since he is a huge nerd) was to invent the insane, metal gear-assed Watsonian backstory about eula darnus killing the poo poo out of her dad and hypnotizing herself to think she was her dead brother.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

When the face reveal happened, koji’s solution to this mismatch (since he is a huge nerd) was to invent the insane, metal gear-assed Watsonian backstory about eula darnus killing the poo poo out of her dad and hypnotizing herself to think she was her dead brother.

His reign of terror has gone for almost a whole decade...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thankfully after that they realized it was a good idea to get Koji more involved with the writing and avoid that kind of situation moving forward. Turns out letting your localization head in on what's actually going on is pretty handy! And now he's one of the co-leads of the world and lore development team proper so there's so much we can blame/thank him for.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think it was an urianger infodump or something. iirc (andI may be totally wrong here) the issue is that nael in the original Japanese was just straight up Actually a Woman The Whole Time, which they got away with by generally not using gendered pronouns in any relevant cutscenes or dialogue. English however defaulted to using he/him pronouns, because using they/them wasn’t as accepted in 2012 and koji + the localization team hadn’t been given any reason to think Nael wasn’t a dude, especially since their original model was rigged to a male elezen. When the face reveal happened, koji’s solution to this mismatch (since he is a huge nerd) was to invent the insane, metal gear-assed Watsonian backstory about eula darnus killing the poo poo out of her dad and hypnotizing herself to think she was her dead brother.

That is the wildest possible way to justify a woman using male pronouns I've ever heard. Was the classic 'presents as a man to get the respect that a woman in the same role is not given' approach not appropriate this time, for some reason?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not five years since the calamity, Tataru mentions in post Stormblood that it's been a year and a half since the banquet at the end of ARR so including ShB, it's been at least two years since the end of ARR.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Cleretic posted:

That is the wildest possible way to justify a woman using male pronouns I've ever heard. Was the classic 'presents as a man to get the respect that a woman in the same role is not given' approach not appropriate this time, for some reason?

Well, yeah, because it would have made glass ceilings canonical, which the game has otherwise been quite good at avoiding.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Didn't the Japanese writing team think that the English justification was so rad that it got backported into the official canon?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Didn't the Japanese writing team think that the English justification was so rad that it got backported into the official canon?

i kinda assume someone on the writing team is a big vision of escaflowne fan, since that show also had an antagonist with a complex sex/gender situation piloting a red mech with liquid metal claws

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

like i said it varies. sometiems they say its not been much time at all, tataru has a line where she says its been nearly two years, theres another random line where the domans say 'after these years in the rising stones, i never expected to return home,' at the end of heavensward alisaie talks about binding coil like it was last week if you did it, the omega stuff kinda implies the gap between 3.5 and the end of 4.0 could only be a couple months. its just all over the place. there's no concrete answer and there never will be, its just whatever is necessary at the time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1419322285974974471?s=19

So, either ominous or clever misdirection?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, he's giving up gunbreaker to become a machinist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, he's giving up gunbreaker to become a machinist.

One less job so hes going back to NIN

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some translation bot my guild has on discord's take on it (until typing this I didn't realize I don't actually know who they are and how official-ish it is):

quote:

中村さん「6.0のボイス収録をしたが、あれ?俺の仕事(サンクレッド)なくなるのかなと思ったし、次のステップがあまり見えなかった」
Nakamura-san is already done with recording his lines for 6.0 Thancred . But Nakamura-san, when looking at the script, thought his work/role for the game is done, and he couldn't quite see what's for him in the future. For context, Nakamura-san can roughly tell that, by the end of a story in a major expansion that there's going to be a continuation, but for Endwalker, it seems that the future becomes uncertain... This means Nakamura-san is amazed that the scenario has a proper and conclusion to the current Hydaelyn-Zodiark arc. The game doesn't end for sure, but the current story arc certainly has reached its end.

So if I'm reading that right, Nakamura thinks the ending of this arc feels very final and was surprised to find out the game will keep going.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm glad to hear it to be honest. Like giving it a serious final conclusion that is satisfying even if they intend the game to keep going is something I wouldn't expect from an MMO.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I'm glad to hear it to be honest. Like giving it a serious final conclusion that is satisfying even if they intend the game to keep going is something I wouldn't expect from an MMO.

yea tbh a story like this needs a final conclusion, there's ways to put a very definitive period at the end of a storyline and still leave things open to simply starting a fresh one, and I'm happy it sounds like Square is doing just that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean if any of the Scions is dying before Endwalker is over I'd put all my money on Thancred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I mean if any of the Scions is dying before Endwalker is over I'd put all my money on Thancred.

You’d lose that bet when Y’shtola “dies” again for 5 minutes.

Let’s go full Daniel Jackson.