Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Too lazy to translate but

Also unrelated but it came up on my phone when I searched for the above

Reminds me of
these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just watched that tonight and :lmao:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

teen witch posted:

Vertical axis:

Content purist, "only traditional Semle ingredients may be used"
Content neutral, "other typical baking ingredients can be used"
Content rebel, "any ingredients are permitted"

Horizontal axis:

Shape purist, "Semle must consist of two pieces of bread with filling between"
Shape neutral, "Semle must consist of some form of bread and filling"
Shape rebel, "Semle can have any shape"

Upper left:

Hard Traditionalism

Lower right:

Radical Semle Anarchy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyScran/status/1624746035703586818

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like the ballerinakex constitutes "two pieces of bread with filling inbetween"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

at least it's not floating in a bog of peas and gravy

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Is a gunner what eating it turns your butthole into?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That might be the most cromulent scran i've seen yet but the price is wack

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's expensive, but I really want to eat it, unlike most of the scran that account posts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno about "want to" but at least "would if it were put in front of me" unlike most of it, yeah.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would eat it then express completely predictable avoidable dismay as it brexited my rear end in a top hat in a greasy beer tinged slick 4 hours later.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Y’all need some more fiber in your diets, Jesus loving Christ

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's peppers. green plant stuff. that's your fiber done. go hog wild.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

OwlFancier posted:

cromulent scran

sounds like someone needs a name change!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Y’all need some more fiber in your diets, Jesus loving Christ

That's what mushy peas are for! They look terrible but are good for your butt.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Four Loko came up in another thread and it's pretty disgusting as is. That reminded me that for the first year or so of production it had taurine, guarana, caffeine and WORMWOOD in it. Four ingredients, one of which makes you crazy like Absinthe does! Clever. It was disgusting. Also super healthy cause the thujone in the wormwood is a GABA receptor antagonist. GABA receptor antagonists act as stimulants, and increase the chance of having convulsions. Mix that with an opposite GABA drug, alcohol, and a second stimulant, caffeine, package in cheap 16oz cans. They removed it because it was too expensive, not because of any known issues, and, to get back to my point, that was most likely because no one ever drank more than one or two cans because it was disgusting.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

teen witch posted:

Also unrelated but it came up on my phone when I searched for the above

Reminds me of
these

Missing the nacho semla from Mr Cake

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Buddy I got some bad news for you about Malört.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

Buddy I got some bad news for you about Malört.

Malört tastes better than the original Four Loko and is somewhat safer. I got no beef with Malört.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Desert Bus posted:

Four Loko came up in another thread and it's pretty disgusting as is. That reminded me that for the first year or so of production it had taurine, guarana, caffeine and WORMWOOD in it. Four ingredients, one of which makes you crazy like Absinthe does! Clever. It was disgusting. Also super healthy cause the thujone in the wormwood is a GABA receptor antagonist. GABA receptor antagonists act as stimulants, and increase the chance of having convulsions. Mix that with an opposite GABA drug, alcohol, and a second stimulant, caffeine, package in cheap 16oz cans. They removed it because it was too expensive, not because of any known issues, and, to get back to my point, that was most likely because no one ever drank more than one or two cans because it was disgusting.

hey man you are dramatically misinformed about absinthe. no absinthe has a high enough concentration of wormwood to induce thujone poisoning. people act all crazy drinking absinthe because it has a lot of alcohol in it. by the time you ingest enough absinthe for the thujone to have a significant effect you'll be dead several times over from the alcohol. don't be dramatic.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Malört has more wormwood than any absinthe I've ever tried (or at least it's waaaaaaay more bitter than any absinthe I've ever tried) and the only effects it has other than getting you drunk and having a taste in your mouth for 45 minutes is that it's a mild digestif so it can settle your tumtum a bit

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

prayer group posted:

hey man you are dramatically misinformed about absinthe. no absinthe has a high enough concentration of wormwood to induce thujone poisoning. people act all crazy drinking absinthe because it has a lot of alcohol in it. by the time you ingest enough absinthe for the thujone to have a significant effect you'll be dead several times over from the alcohol. don't be dramatic.

I was very much joking about Absinthe making people crazy. I should have been more clear. At best/worst I would expect slight stimulation long before convulsions which would be long after the alcohol knocked you out. Most people don't drink Absinthe at all and those who do don't drink it in quantity. I've never felt the effects but I've only had lovely Absinthe so who knows how much thujone was in there.

Four Loko decided that exposing the masses to a cheap and easy and fun way to dose themselves with a GABA receptor antagonist in order to maybe provide a slightly better buzz was a great idea. That could be real bad news if you've got a seizure disorder.

It was vile and left you with a vicious hangover, worse than caffeine and caffeine free Four Loko, MUCH worse than Absinthe and Malört. It tasted like a mix of aluminum can, artificial fruit flavor that tasted like rotting fruit smells, too much sugar, extremely cheap vodka, wormwood, taurine, guarana, and chewing on a caffeine pill. It was a potent mix of awful flavors.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Four Loko was good for society

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ror posted:

Four Loko was good for society

The joke I saw was it let you respec all your stat points into Strength.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Apparently modern kids do custom home brew Four Loco style beverages and call them Borgs:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/viral/tiktoks-borgs-college-parties-harm-reduction-rcna69521

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

People probably mostly act crazy drinking absinthe because in their heads absinthe rates somewhere between ayahuasca and secret CIA drugs and they psyche themselves up

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

People probably mostly act crazy drinking absinthe because in their heads absinthe rates somewhere between ayahuasca and secret CIA drugs and they psyche themselves up

I'm sure placebo plays an effect, and i'm sure the super high ABV contributes to how well it works on people who expect it to make them travel to magic lands of artistic inspiration. If you want the actual lovely thujone effects for some reason there are easier and safer ways than downing a bottle of 75% ABV liquor to get them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Absinthe first became seriously popular after the phylloxera aphid wrecked French vineyards and made French wines much harder to get. With the introduction of American rootstock French winemaking recovered, but the French consumer was still happily drinking absinthe. Winemakers launched an anti-absinthe propaganda campaign that highlighted how absinthe ruined your health and made you go insane. The examples used were always of poor bohemian artists and prostitutes who drank adulterated absinthe that was colored with copper sulfate and cut with laudanum, who actually died of copper toxicity and opiate overdose. The thujone present in grand wormwood is like the myristicin in nutmeg – technically psychoactive, but not effective in culinary amounts. As a result of the anti-absinthe campaign, absinthe was banned in most places by the 1920s, and wasn't legalized in the US again until 2007. The stuff we drink today isn't realistically all that different from the (good) stuff that was available in fin-de-siècle Paris. The good absinthes are really good if you enjoy the anise flavor, but anyone bugging out is just putting on a show.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
OG Four Loko was my first college blackout and then I never had one ever again (four lokos, not blackouts, don’t you worry)

von Braun posted:

Missing the nacho semla from Mr Cake

Inshallah they have this until the end of April because I want this over cake for my birthday. I might attempt a form of semla layer cake? whatever give me both

I’m upset we’ve left the brief lussekatt/semla overlap period of Jan. The only reason for the month, honestly

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

The good absinthes are really good if you enjoy the anise flavor, but anyone bugging out is just putting on a show.
Speaking of which, the prominent fire ritual is pretty much just a recent Czech marketing gimmick, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

teen witch posted:

OG Four Loko was my first college blackout and then I never had one ever again (four lokos, not blackouts, don’t you worry)

The only full-on screaming match argument I've ever had with someone was over Four Lokos.

Oddly enough, neither of us had drank any.

E: it also involved benadryl.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Is this a bad time to admit I still have OG Four Loko in my liquor cabinet, and recently my wife drank an entire 22oz can? She regretted it the next day for sure…

My buddy still has CASES of the poo poo in his basement.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wormwood Four Loko 2005-2006, you will not be missed:

https://gothamist.com/food/four-loko-could-have-been-americas-absinthe

quote:

While they were in college, creators Jeff Wright, Jaisen Freeman and Chris Hunter began making money selling a Thai version of Red Bull to their frat brothers for $5, telling them it was "imported" when in fact they were just getting it at the Asian market down the street. Then Sparks, the nation's first caffeinated alcoholic drink, hit the stores and the three saw a chance to capitalize. So they called their beverage Four, after the fourth ingredient they would add to Sparks recipe of caffeine, guarana and taurine. That ingredient? Wormwood, they key ingredient in Absinthe.

Unfortunately, that plan didn't work. “Nobody wanted this thing,” Freeman said. “Nobody cared about wormwood. They didn’t even know what wormwood was." So they scrapped it and decided to focus on flavor and alcohol content. Thanks, uncultured America! The "loko" was added to the name once they decided to make it 12 percent ABV; Freeman said, “Let’s call it Four Loko. It’s a loko blend of fruit flavors.” And now you know.

The psychopharmacology of nutmeg is really neat. I've been lucky enough to do "pure" myristicin/elemicin extracted from nutmeg and it's is a very meh drug compared to nutmeg. I'm not sure how much others have expanded on this but I gotta go with the master. RIP Shulgin

"The Chemistry and Psychopharmacology of Nutmeg and of Several Related Phenylisopropylamines - ALEXANDER T. SHULGIN"

https://www.claudionaranjo.net/pdf_...nes_english.pdf

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Desert Bus posted:

Wormwood Four Loko 2005-2006, you will not be missed:

https://gothamist.com/food/four-loko-could-have-been-americas-absinthe

The psychopharmacology of nutmeg is really neat. I've been lucky enough to do "pure" myristicin/elemicin extracted from nutmeg and it's is a very meh drug compared to nutmeg. I'm not sure how much others have expanded on this but I gotta go with the master. RIP Shulgin

"The Chemistry and Psychopharmacology of Nutmeg and of Several Related Phenylisopropylamines - ALEXANDER T. SHULGIN"

https://www.claudionaranjo.net/pdf_...nes_english.pdf

Townsend spotted

Lowly nutmeg eater

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The loathsome nut eater

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Absinthe is also significantly high proof considering it doesn't usually have that much of a burn to it (compared to how a similar proofed whiskey would taste), so you can only imagine how that would affect people who were used to drinking wine. There's a reason most cocktails only use like ½oz or a few dashes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also why the "canonical" way to drink absinthe is to water it down with a drip of cold water until it turns cloudy. It's part of the ~mystique~

It also means you end up diluting it by some insane ratio of like 4:1 water:absinthe. Which I can't even stand, I'd rather drink it straight