Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Charterstone is a fine entry to WP. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People forget this is the internet where every opinion is spoken like the word of god but in no world would I call any of those games trash and I can’t stress that enough. Lords of Waterdeep, even if it is at the bottom of my To-Play list, is not in any way a BAD game. And you can argue so, and I won’t die on a hill to defend it, but come the gently caress on.

Any game I would recommend is one I wouldn’t grumble about playing. And I would play that list all day and night over basically anything you still find on a Toys R’ Us shelf.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been reading a lot about game design for another project, and it's making me wrestle with Betrayal again. It's like an ex-partner that you can't shake from your mind.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which is strangely fitting for a game design around psychological horror.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll say it: Betrayal is both fun, and a good game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Does someone have a Entry/Hobbiest level breakdown for social deduction games? Because those things are my jam.

I'm just looking for more games after playing Secret Hitler, Resistance/Avalon, Coup, Mafia, The Thing, Two rooms and a boom, and even Mysterium (which is a great game to get non-gamers into board games).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Is there even anything else other than Battlestar Galactica?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

Does someone have a Entry/Hobbiest level breakdown for social deduction games? Because those things are my jam.

I'm just looking for more games after playing Secret Hitler, Resistance/Avalon, Coup, Mafia, The Thing, Two rooms and a boom, and even Mysterium (which is a great game to get non-gamers into board games).

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is entry-level in that each game lasts less than 10 minutes and almost everyone gets to do some action. On the other hand, there's so many changes to the game state that it's both a lot harder to bluff and to deduce. In my experience, people who know nothing about boardgames enjoy it, as well as people who love social deduction games, but no one wants to play it for hours on end. The Daylight expansion makes the werewolves more interesting, but also adds a whole lot more fiddly nonsense. I have no experience with the other One Night games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a PDF of the rules for Tiny Epic Galaxies? Miracle of miracles, my FLGS had a copy and I grabbed it, but I want to check out the rules while I'm at the gym.

Your first port of call for questions like this should be BoardGameGeek. Say what you like about the user base, their files section is comprehensive.

It should also be your last port of call, because if they don't have it the answer is probably "No".

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I picked up Merchants & Marauders for 30 bucks on ebay and finally got in a 2 player game of it the other night. We both liked it a lot, even if after 2 hours we were still only halfway through and had to pack it in. Rules Question: Can you Scout for Merchants or NPCs from port, or do you have to be in the sea to Scout? Seems like a simple rule thing to clarify, but I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Werewords is a really neat cross between social deduction and twenty questions. Spyfall is another social deduction one of course.

We should compile a list of these games in the OP or something, it’s come up often enough.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

It's unique and interesting. It reminds me of 504 in that it's actually a bunch of games, and all of them are mediocre to bad, and it takes a frustrating few hours to come to terms with this, but someone out there probably thinks it's great or at least ingenious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ragnar34 posted:

It's unique and interesting. It reminds me of 504 in that it's actually a bunch of games, and all of them are mediocre to bad, and it takes a frustrating few hours to come to terms with this, but someone out there probably thinks it's great or at least ingenious.

Yeah, exactly. I also think it does what it does that no other game does. It's poorly designed, and a wreck in terms of mechanics, but it's well designed in terms of producing certain types of experiences that certain types of player respond to, and that no other game does.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

Charterstone is a fine entry to WP. ;)

Ugh. We abandoned our game because the rules, both the presentation and what was written were ridiculously bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

Ugh. We abandoned our game because the rules, both the presentation and what was written were ridiculously bad.

:smith:

Finished one game. The rules were written extremely badly. But we got through it and all enjoyed the game, so hopefully the next eleven won't go too badly.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

sector_corrector posted:

Agreed. It's not balanced, or fair, or a lot of other things that get hailed in gaming circles (deep strategy, multiple paths to victory) but I enjoy playing it and therefore have no hesitation in calling it a good game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

You aren't wrong. It has a lot of problems, and if you are looking for an intense and thinky co-op/competitive/one-vs-all this game this definitely isn't it, but it's hard to say that I haven't had a complete blast playing Betrayal many, many times.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bottom Liner posted:

Agricola is not approachable, and not just for the scoring reason mentioned by Crackbone. It's daunting to know what you should be doing with your actions given how many options there are, how tight the game is with action economy and stealing, and the amount of visual feedback the game gives you. One of the brilliant bits of Feast is that you have a very clear visual cue to how you're doing in the tile placement aspect, even though it's not the entirety of scoring, it goes a long way to make you feel like you're progressing. Every action space has an immediate effect that feels rewarding, unlike Agricola. Agricola has a lot of necessary steps that you need to follow to be successful and they're almost all obscured heavily for new players.

The only approachable aspect of the game is the "you get to build a cute farm" theme, which is almost immediately wiped away by the mechanics and actual thematic design.

Yes. I've taught games to a lot of newbies: my club has regular newbie nights which I used to help out at. Agricola would paralyse them: too brutal, too many choices, too much going on. The simple decision of "what's my first move" has multiple layers of choice and consequence wrapped around it. And people rightfully want their first game to be enjoyable and for them to feel in charge. Not "you'll get it after 3 or 4 games".

And I'll stand up for Lords of Waterdeep: I don't think it's a good entry game because it's some bowdlerised, cut down shell of a game. It's a good game that I enjoy, that lots of my game-playing friends do, that's accessible and straightforward enough that it can be taught to an entry-level player in a modest amount of time.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lorini posted:

I would NEVER throw newbies into an Agricola game. There's too many cards for one thing, that'd be a terrible experience. Sure 10 years ago when Agricola was all there was in WP maybe it would be OK but now? No way.

Jesus, it really was 10 years ago when I introduced my future in-laws to Agricola.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

:smith:

Finished one game. The rules were written extremely badly. But we got through it and all enjoyed the game, so hopefully the next eleven won't go too badly.

We're nine games in and everyone is having a ball. We had a couple of issues with card packs being in the wrong order, so we unlocked the wrong things, but it's all come together really well. The only problem with the actual rules is that one of the early amendments to the End of Game rules eliminates the rule where you complete a full trip round the table after endgame is triggered.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Stop making me consider buying betrayal you jerks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ShaneB posted:

Its bad op

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had never heard of Charterstone before seeing it at the store last night. It looks like it would be my jam but it commits the cardinal board game sin of not showing any components or anything relevant at all on the back of the box.

ShaneB posted:

Betrayal is a bad game that everyone should own. The Baldur's Gate version even fixes some of the minor issues with the base game, although you'll still end up with lovely haunts 90% of the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Betrayal is a bad game and nobody should own it. In fact I'll pay you in cryptocurrency for videos of you burning your copies of Betrayal*. *not an actual promise

terebikun posted:

I picked up Merchants & Marauders for 30 bucks on ebay and finally got in a 2 player game of it the other night. We both liked it a lot, even if after 2 hours we were still only halfway through and had to pack it in. Rules Question: Can you Scout for Merchants or NPCs from port, or do you have to be in the sea to Scout? Seems like a simple rule thing to clarify, but I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

Scout only in the sea. When you successfully scout, you can flip the little telescope token and you can choose to raid the revealed nationality, the nationality of the nearby port owner, or nobody.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I had never heard of Charterstone before seeing it at the store last night. It looks like it would be my jam but it commits the cardinal board game sin of not showing any components or anything relevant at all on the back of the box

You realize it’s a legacy game? Even I’m not complaining about that :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I had never heard of Charterstone before seeing it at the store last night. It looks like it would be my jam but it commits the cardinal board game sin of not showing any components or anything relevant at all on the back of the box.

Well, it is a legacy game. Basically, though, it's just a board (almost blank), 12 wooden tokens for each of the six resources - most of which are in Scythe or Euphoria, if you're curious - plus two meeples, 12 tokens and a score marker for each player.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lorini posted:

You realize it’s a legacy game? Even I’m not complaining about that :)

Jedit posted:

Well, it is a legacy game.

What the actual hell does that have to do with actually representing the game on the back of the box? That's like saying "I really like this soda but I'm pretty sure it's not okay to sell beverages without an ingredients list" and coming back with "you realize it's a cola, right?"

I mean, good legacy games still can have pictures on the box that show the game in action:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Re: Charterstone. I'm playing it with one other person and we completed our first game of it just a few days ago. I like the presentation, the legacy aspect of it (so far), and how it plays. The rules, though, took a while to digest and could have been a lot more clear.

The box really should have had some actual gameplay on the back but I feel this is a deliberate design decision.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

What the actual hell does that have to do with actually representing the game on the back of the box? That's like saying "I really like this soda but I'm pretty sure it's not okay to sell beverages without an ingredients list" and coming back with "you realize it's a cola, right?"

I mean, good legacy games still can have pictures on the box that show the game in action:

People don't really feel aggrieved if they're spoiled on the hints of brown colouring and preservative though. And Pan-Leg has it easy, the base Pandemic board looks exciting, the base Charterstone board looks naked. It has wooden pumpkins, I can tell you that.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Whenever I see someone bring up 504 I think about Rutibex: where is that old Tom Vassel lookin rutabega, did he get name changed or something?

Betrayal is a game everyone should play once and maybe it'll click and if you're lucky it doesn't drag and the newbies around you have fun and it sparks an interest in board gaming and then you up the crunch level gradually. I think Angel Opportunity posted something a couple pages back along the lines of like having a grace suggestion/recommendation when tricking friends and family into playing certain games close to you and for me that really rang true. When I see suggestions like teaching Agricola to noobs as an entry-level game to someone just getting started or into gaming, I just shake my head because if I had tried that that would be the end of it and all I'd hear is how complicated, long, and dry the experience was and *poof* there goes my chance to introduce something great to people now and for a while too.

I usually consider my parents the baseline for things because it's like trying to teach games to belligerent children. They figured out Dominion, Stockpile, Steam, Splendor, and Chinatown, but I guarantee if I dumped Agricola or even Caverna on them I'd lose them forever.

I guess at the end of the day it's just a matter like most things of reading the room and knowing your audience and not foisting a good game on people at the wrong time.

I also played Sanssouci last night and was so-so on it. The components are mostly nice even though I found myself squinting at the tiles a bit to get a cleaner picture of the garden symbol on it. In general I found it too easy to build my routes but I'm unsure if it was luck or just that it isn't tough to do so, but that you need to balance maximizing your nobleman's walks for dem VPs. Played kind of like a consequence-free Karuba route-builder mixed with tile selection via cards.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject of social deduction, we've been playing a bit of The Chameleon lately. It's got a similar vibe to Spyfall, but it's coming up with one word instead of a question.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

This came up in one of my feeds, found it pretty interesting. https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39296/icv2-interview-asmodee-execs-counterfeiting

I didn't realise that board game counterfeiting was getting to be that big of a problem. Of course, some of this could be a smokescreen to deflect attention away from the Asmodee Empire's price gouging practices.

It could be worse I guess, at least the counterfeiters aren't making their own Talisman expansions out of cereal boxes and trying to sell em.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FulsomFrank posted:

Whenever I see someone bring up 504 I think about Rutibex: where is that old Tom Vassel lookin rutabega, did he get name changed or something?

He got probated or banned for saying that protester who was run over last year had it coming, iirc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s an Asmodee problem as they keep hiking up prices to misalign with customer preferences. None of the boutique publishers have a problem with it. Tom from Hollandspiele along with some others spoke about it on fb groups. I doubt Splotter would have a problem with it as well. I still :lol: at Asmodee games prices at $50 at discount when I could get Lisboa and Gallerist at that price. There’s no reason why Samurai, Ra, and Tigris and Euphrates or their other classic games line are up that high. Lmao if they reprinted bridges of Shanghai La it would go from $20 to $55 (45 discounted).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
It's definitely not an Asmodee-only problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stonemaier won't even let people make apps, and yeah there's nothing to see but a blank board unless you want it spoiled. Just because some legacy games can show stuff doesn't mean all of them do. Any 'in action' images would be spoilers, absolutely. Go look it up on BGG if you want more information and even there you won't get much.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mr. Squishy posted:

He got probated or banned for saying that protester who was run over last year had it coming, iirc.

He's currently doing the rounds being a right wing troll and a climate change denier

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

It’s an Asmodee problem as they keep hiking up prices to misalign with customer preferences. None of the boutique publishers have a problem with it. Tom from Hollandspiele along with some others spoke about it on fb groups. I doubt Splotter would have a problem with it as well. I still :lol: at Asmodee games prices at $50 at discount when I could get Lisboa and Gallerist at that price. There’s no reason why Samurai, Ra, and Tigris and Euphrates or their other classic games line are up that high. Lmao if they reprinted bridges of Shanghai La it would go from $20 to $55 (45 discounted).

Asmodee has some of the most popular boardgames in the hobby so of course it's going to affect them more than publisher 2-bits or whomever who thinks 1,000 games is a great print run.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Merauder posted:

They just control so much of the market it seems like it is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

It’s definitely them whining about lost profits as they do typical private equity poo poo