Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Is Apple really going whole hog on ChatGPT AI scam nonsense? Because that is not the path.

I think they’re making noises to appease the market because investors don’t want them to be on the perceived bad side of an AI gap, but NPUs have practical applications beyond ChatGPT and its ilk. Apple being Apple, those capabilities are likely to be accessible to programmers in fairly transparent ways, facilitating their adoption and simply being another way to speed up tasks without having to throw brute force CPU at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
agreed with the above post. plus imo there’s a real chance to make siri more capable in terms of responding to conversational commands and reading out facts

semirelatedly since they changed the keyword to just siri i’ve found that it is much less reliable at catching my voice commands

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

agreed with the above post. plus imo there’s a real chance to make siri more capable in terms of responding to conversational commands and reading out facts
Lol getting a GPT to reliably output facts would be massive progress

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Can anyone comment if we'll see a striking difference when the M4 comes to Macbook? I don't think i've looked into the overhead of xOS vs the full Mac OS stack and apple does a good job of keeping that information farrr apart from each arm when they're pitching new hardware.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

incoherent posted:

Can anyone comment if we'll see a striking difference when the M4 comes to Macbook?

Adding a fan will definitely improve performance for tasks longer than two minutes

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

Can anyone comment if we'll see a striking difference when the M4 comes to Macbook? I don't think i've looked into the overhead of xOS vs the full Mac OS stack and apple does a good job of keeping that information farrr apart from each arm when they're pitching new hardware.

The biggest difference is going to be the applications that are allowed. iPadOS and iOS don’t allow the same amount of multitasking so I don’t think any comparison between them will be the same. This chip isn’t different and will perform roughly the same when compared to a passively cooled MacBook.

I’m curious how much the performance is really improved over the M3 to see if we’re hitting more limits of IPC improvements

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

Lol getting a GPT to reliably output facts would be massive progress

agree, what i mean is to retrieve the facts and use the model to present them in a more user friendly manner. the model ideally wouldn’t be responsible for doing more than adding a conversational layer which is one of the things they actually excel at

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mediaphage posted:

One change is, the iPhone 15 has enough NPUs to let Siri do it's work locally. That means Siri can see your health data and answer questions about it. When it had to hit a cloud service for some of its processing, that was a major privacy issue.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

One change is, the iPhone 15 has enough NPUs to let Siri do it's work locally. That means Siri can see your health data and answer questions about it. When it had to hit a cloud service for some of its processing, that was a major privacy issue.

yeah it’s nice to see more stuff done all on-device

i’m not going to have an iphone 15 for a long time tho lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Compatibility question: I'm looking to get a room correction system (ARC Studio from IK Multimedia) and I'm worried that it's incompatible with my old Mac Pro. The requirements on IK's site say "Minimal: Apple M1 or Intel® Core i5 Processor" but this is a Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of Xeon CPUs in it. That's right out, right? Are any of the Intel Core CPUs compatible with the Pro 5,1? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm learning that it might not just be a CPU issue but could be an OS issue; the ARC Studio says minimal OS 10.15 which I believe is Catalina? I've got High Sierra on my MP and I can't recall if that's the end of the line for my machine or if it's possible to upgrade to Catalina... somehow. Is that a thing?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 12, 2024

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Apple made some noise a while back about switching to a Transformer type model for text entry prediction running locally on the Apple watches. If anything, I noticed it worsening the accuracy of text input

They're definitely playing catch-up with AI but I'm sceptical about there being that many consumer use cases that are both tenable running on the edge and actually need to run on the edge.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Speaker posted:

Compatibility question: I'm looking to get a room correction system (ARC Studio from IK Multimedia) and I'm worried that it's incompatible with my old Mac Pro. The requirements on IK's site say "Minimal: Apple M1 or Intel® Core i5 Processor" but this is a Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of Xeon CPUs in it. That's right out, right? Are any of the Intel Core CPUs compatible with the Pro 5,1? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm learning that it might not just be a CPU issue but could be an OS issue; the ARC Studio says minimal OS 10.15 which I believe is Catalina? I've got High Sierra on my MP and I can't recall if that's the end of the line for my machine or if it's possible to upgrade to Catalina... somehow. Is that a thing?

It doesn't support Catalina, if you use OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) then you should be able to install Catalina on it anyway.
What GPU does it have?

Also, a room correction system sounds like the type of thing where you might be much better off with a cheap second hand M1 MacBook Air.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I think it's more likely to be that the OS just isn't current enough for some of the APIs IK uses. You can TRY something like OpenCore Legacy Patcher which I think should let you install a newer MacOS on technically unsupported hardware but YMMV. I used to know way more about this back when I ran a hackintosh but that muscle memory is long gone, sorry :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK thanks for the prompt replies, I'm trying to prep an OpenCore install of a newer OS right now. One thing I'm stuck on is that it's telling me to run a command in Terminal to find a volume with my ESP on it... "sudo diskutil mount /dev/diskAs1", but it's returning "unable to find disk for /dev/diskAs1". What's going on here?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure, but you can probably try just "sudo diskutil mount EFI". I did that on my old i7 MBP and seemed to work. Good luck!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Work mandates we use the crowdstrike virus scanner so all of my nodejs + java operations are bottlenecked. Every build touches thousands of files, so a single core is pegged at 100% with the crowdstrike process
I swear my personal M1 mini is snappier than this MBP

Getting an M4 MBP would be better, but so much performance gets flushed down the drain.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Coffee Jones posted:

Work mandates we use the crowdstrike virus scanner so all of my nodejs + java operations are bottlenecked. Every build touches thousands of files, so a single core is pegged at 100% with the crowdstrike process

Getting an M4 MBP would be better, but so much performance gets flushed down the drain.

Gotta love the corporate solution to the remote and mostly hypothetical problem of """mac viruses""" being MDM loading of a closed-source rootkit with an unknown but surely non-zero number of undiscovered vulnerabilities that steals CPU cycles and bottlenecks every single process running on the computer :dumbbravo:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

moosemanmoo posted:

Gotta love the corporate solution to the remote and mostly hypothetical problem of """mac viruses""" being MDM loading of a closed-source rootkit with an unknown but surely non-zero number of undiscovered vulnerabilities that steals CPU cycles and bottlenecks every single process running on the computer :dumbbravo:

Oh God, the crab bucket security mindset of people ruined by Windows. “We have to assume every other platform is just as rife with security horror as the lagoon of curdled, brackish milk Microsoft built. Can’t be too careful,” they say, as their over-cautiousness costs them double digit percentages of productivity loss for no benefit but covering their asses.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 13, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

some kinda jackal posted:

Not sure, but you can probably try just "sudo diskutil mount EFI". I did that on my old i7 MBP and seemed to work. Good luck!

Hmm, OK, I think I'm on the way here, I opened up the EFI volume and installed the config.plist file and ran the commands in Recovery Mode Terminal. I rebooted and the computer wasn't recognizing my keyboard and trackball, so I pulled all other USB peripherals and hard rebooted. In Terminal I'm getting the version code for OpenCore but when I go to mount the EFI the same way again to add all the patching utilities, the EFI volume appears empty. Any idea what's going on here?

EDIT: Hmm weird, rebooted and now I can see the folder tree.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We're rooting for you!

e: Unless you brick your machine, in which case we strategically distance ourselves and walk away whistling :cool:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I applied some of the recommended edits of the config.plist file and now it only boots into Recovery Mode :S

EDIT: pls help :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 13, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Coffee Jones posted:

I never could quite put my finger on why my work MBP feels noticeably slower than my personal Mac Studio for the same tasks given they have the same hardware but we're also using Crowdstrike so that's probably it, :ms: I guess.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
moonlight loving rules. im playing pc games on my couch with almost-zero lag. granted it's not a 4k game or anything but it's still cool!! stfu nerds

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My shower thought of the day, apropos of nothing:

Outside of the "obviously they want you to buy an iPhone and tether" angle, I find it really weird that you can't get a MacBook with an eSIM cell upgrade. That would be an insta-add for just about every business user I can think of. I'm not sure there's really space constraints in a laptop case but what do I know.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Outside of the "obviously they want you to buy an iPhone and tether" angle, I find it really weird that you can't get a MacBook with an eSIM cell upgrade. That would be an insta-add for just about every business user I can think of. I'm not sure there's really space constraints in a laptop case but what do I know.

i think it’s your first point really. now that you can just select your iphone from the wifi drop-down menu it’s pretty seamless most of the time.

there’s definitely room for it especially these days if they wanted to make it happen.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i think it’s your first point really. now that you can just select your iphone from the wifi drop-down menu it’s pretty seamless most of the time.

there’s definitely room for it especially these days if they wanted to make it happen.

Older MacBooks/PowerBooks/iBooks likely didn't have GSM connections either due to how slow networks were at the time and/or additional hardware and antennas that would have to be built into the computers that Apple just didn't want to bother with. But at this point it's almost assuredly because you can just connect your phone to the computer and call it a day.

I do also wonder if any of it has to do with keeping the brand identity as a "premium" product instead of allowing 36-month carrier contract installments that might carry discount promotions. I can get a Samsung or Lenovo laptop through Verizon right now with a service plan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t think premium has anything to do with it; they could just throw in unlocked esims but the cost to engineer it isn’t worth the few extra pickups they’d get since as discussed most people have no problem tethering with the buckets of data people finally get these days

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mediaphage posted:

i don’t think premium has anything to do with it; they could just throw in unlocked esims but the cost to engineer it isn’t worth the few extra pickups they’d get since as discussed most people have no problem tethering with the buckets of data people finally get these days

Wouldn't this be equally true of iPads? How often do people take their iPad somewhere while not carrying their phone?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

Wouldn't this be equally true of iPads? How often do people take their iPad somewhere while not carrying their phone?

My partner wanted a new iPad and she came to the conclusion that she basically never has her iPad but not her phone, so we didn't get the GSM or whatever it's called. So, yeah, agreed.

Her watch, however, is often being used without a phone nearby so we got the SIM card option for that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

well partially they've already done all the work so it's easy enough to just keep trucking (and certainly in the beginning the ipad and the iphone weren't that different). when ipads were introduced i think only one in five americans owned a smartphone, for example, and data plans weren't what they are today - the unlimited AT&T plan introduced with the first ipad was a powerful draw, imo

if ipads were introduced for the first time today i'd give it even odds on whether they'd bother putting a cellular modem as an option

these days the biggest reason i personally would consider a cellular ipad is that it has standalone GPS functionality independent of the availability of cellular networks, which makes it nice to use in the car when travelling (yes my iphone can do this but maps look so much nicer on a bigger screen :V)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I have a cellular iPad but I also always have my phone. I like having an always on connection with the iPad and I actually have unlimited hotspot data on my phone but my iPad has a better data plan.

I also use my iPad a lot for streaming video and stuff when I’m out.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I can’t think of any business that would want to spend more on that really. Why does a programmer need an esim? You should be working in the office with office internet or maybe at home with your own internet. If you want to work somewhere else that’s on you? The vast majority of like field tech or field folks are not going to be having macs.

Also I had an ipad (new m1) with cellular and literally never activated it, just used my free phone tethering the few times there actually wasn’t wifi available. Which also wifi is loving everywhere now too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Could be anecdotal but business continuity plays a big part in my world. I have a corporate mobile and they made sure it was diverse from the carrier providing my home internet. I would say that my org, specifically, could reduce the number of mobile devices by 50% cutting out everyone assigned one strictly for tethering purposes.

Devs and such? Yeah, probably not, I would agree.

e: But I mean, reducing the number of mobiles by 50% is not something Apple has an interest in :lol:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Could be anecdotal but business continuity plays a big part in my world. I have a corporate mobile and they made sure it was diverse from the carrier providing my home internet. I would say that my org, specifically, could reduce the number of mobile devices by 50% cutting out everyone assigned one strictly for tethering purposes.

Devs and such? Yeah, probably not, I would agree.

e: But I mean, reducing the number of mobiles by 50% is not something Apple has an interest in :lol:

If you need that sort of connectivity, do you not also need to be reached via phone or page? In which case they should be providing that device anyway, so what’s the gain? Also I think you are over estimating how many mac laptops are sold to folks in roles such as yourself rather than primarily coffeedrinker status symbols followed by programmers and similar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm definitely not picking this hill to die on, I'm happy to concede it's an edge case :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Branch Nvidian posted:

Older MacBooks/PowerBooks/iBooks likely didn't have GSM connections either due to how slow networks were at the time and/or additional hardware and antennas that would have to be built into the computers that Apple just didn't want to bother with. But at this point it's almost assuredly because you can just connect your phone to the computer and call it a day.
There was that one prototype MacBook Pro with 3G that surfaced a while ago so it’s something they’ve toyed with

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm not sure there's really space constraints in a laptop case but what do I know.

I've worked on Retina and Touchbar MBPros. You're not finding space in one of those, you're making it. That space is coming from battery life and will require the engineers to rearrange the whole logic board. That's not remotely enough of a priority to impact battery life.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hate to harp on this petard upon which I've hoisted myself, but can anyone give me a hand with this OpenCore thing? I'll buy you a forums upgrade or some beer or something if you can get me sorted out.

Currently still stuck on Recovery Mode. I've reset the NVRAM and tried to boot into an older Time Machine backup, no joy. I feel like if I could find some way to see that EFI volume again, I could drop in the unedited config.plist file and that would probably at least get me back to where things were, as editing it was the last thing I did before getting stuck in Recovery Hell. A friend suggested using Target Drive mode to this end, but I've never seen the EFI volume in that mode before? Is this even remotely possible?

To be honest at this point I wouldn't be opposed to a reformat of my boot drive and a fresh High Sierra or Mojave install. Most of my important poo poo like registries are backed up to multiple SSDs/HDDs and a RAID array. Whatever else I have to slog through to get my apps back I'm willing to accept as penance. Really though, I'm still asking for help, because getting OpenCore working any way I can is still priority one, - I want to find out if this ARC Studio room correction system is even able to run that way, before 30 days runs out and I can't return it.

Thanks in advance.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a generally recommended dock for M3 air/pro? My wife has one of each, the pro a recent replacement for a Mac Mini. I see Caldigit mentioned a couple of times in the thread, wasn't sure if that was the go-to solution.

Two USB-C monitors, USB-A keyboard, and USB-A mouse are the required peripherals to plug into the dock. I could also switch the monitors to displayport instead of USB-C.

My solution for my work Macbook Pro is that I plug my two USB-C monitors into two USB-C ports and a USB-A hub into the last USB-C port, but my laptop never moves vs my wife that needs to travel with it every day (plus her air only has two usb-c ports), so just looking for a 'fewer things to plug in' solution for her. Appreciate any advice you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Tezer posted:

Is there a generally recommended dock for M3 air/pro? My wife has one of each, the pro a recent replacement for a Mac Mini. I see Caldigit mentioned a couple of times in the thread, wasn't sure if that was the go-to solution.

Two USB-C monitors, USB-A keyboard, and USB-A mouse are the required peripherals to plug into the dock. I could also switch the monitors to displayport instead of USB-C.

My solution for my work Macbook Pro is that I plug my two USB-C monitors into two USB-C ports and a USB-A hub into the last USB-C port, but my laptop never moves vs my wife that needs to travel with it every day (plus her air only has two usb-c ports), so just looking for a 'fewer things to plug in' solution for her. Appreciate any advice you have.

They’re not cheap, but the CalDigits “just work” and they’re what I’ve always used to dock Mac laptops to external stuff for years. I currently have a 16in M3 Pro docked via a caldigit TB4 dock and have not had any issues with any peripheral, including finicky outboard audio stuff. Every usb port on the dock is used as well and it’s been fine. One TBolt cable into the laptop, which sits in a little aluminum base to hold it upright and save some desk space.