Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sales engineers are useful people in my company :shrug: also very well paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Sales engineers are useful people in my company :shrug: also very well paid

Of course but I think the message was that they aren't well equipped to understand the effects of cutting floor joists.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My god that is a tacky bathroom

I like it. It would be a nice surprise to find in a vegas suite but not something I would ever want in a home. Some persian dude probably loves it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mobby_6kl posted:

It's also a good example of why you want proper integer nearest-neighbor scaling:

You forgot to put the "RTX ON" thing in the corner.

Fauxtool posted:

It would be a nice surprise to find in a vegas suite

I think living here and spending too much time in guest rooms is part of the reason it doesn't repulse me. It reminded me of some of the rooms at The Cosmopolitan. I don't have any problem with the black wallpaper and overdose on granite-like tile; but contrasted with the red makes it look like Kylo Ren lives here.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 3, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Oh, this is without raytracing!

tehinternet posted:

Holy loving poo poo is that the same bathroom

I mean that’s a loving amazing shop, you own if you made that
Of course, it's the same goon's groverbathroom, but no I didn't photoshop this one, someone else posted it in a different thread.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I built a new PC over the weekend and picked up an EVGA RTX 2070 XC (08G-P4-2172-KR)... and it's kinda noisy? I haven't messed with any fan software before, but my old MSI GTX970 card was pretty quiet and I was expecting this one to be as quiet or marginally louder, but it's significantly louder.

Any areas where I should start looking at? My first thought is to increase the speed case intake fans to try to keep everything a bit cooler inside before dipping into adjusting fan curves on the video card itself.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just a heads up for others, I tried using the 20 percent off coupon at Fry's Electronics this morning on a 2080 and apparently as of this week they added verbiage that makes it invalid for video cards :(

Looks like it's back to waiting on an online deal.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Phone posted:

I built a new PC over the weekend and picked up an EVGA RTX 2070 XC (08G-P4-2172-KR)... and it's kinda noisy? I haven't messed with any fan software before, but my old MSI GTX970 card was pretty quiet and I was expecting this one to be as quiet or marginally louder, but it's significantly louder.

Any areas where I should start looking at? My first thought is to increase the speed case intake fans to try to keep everything a bit cooler inside before dipping into adjusting fan curves on the video card itself.

Yeah my 2080 is pretty noisy as well (when taxing the card obviously; if your card is loud at idle that's not good).

That being said, I find the actual "nature" of the fan to be less annoying than my previous 970 / 1070s were. When I slapped in the 1070 on launch day I was immediately unhappy with how lovely it sounded (granted at that point you could only buy the "founder edition" with a blower and that thing kind of sucked).

You can try adjusting the fan curve manually. MSI Afterburner has a good fan curve implementation.

Could also just go water cooling if it really bothers you.

moot the hopple posted:

Just a heads up for others, I tried using the 20 percent off coupon at Fry's Electronics this morning on a 2080 and apparently as of this week they added verbiage that makes it invalid for video cards :(

Looks like it's back to waiting on an online deal.

Aww poo poo. If it makes you feel any better, the deal got progressively worse over time before now. You used to be able to get a 2080 for $550 due to an on-sale MSI card double-stacking with the 20% promotion.

After they realized what was happening, they intentionally stopped putting that specific card in the aisle. I had to ask for mine by name, and "for some reason" they were hidden in the back, but at least they sold it to me.

Then they just stopped carrying that card altogether, and made sure that all of their stock was around MSRP before the coupon.

You can get a 2080 for $699 on Amazon, and if you feel like rolling the dice you can get an open box one for $650, overall not much worse than the Frys deal as it existed last week
:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07J5LCQNF/ref=sr_1_6_olp?keywords=rtx+2080&qid=1551634766&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 3, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's not noisy at idle, just at load. Should have specified. :negative:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I would definitely play with the fan curve on the card. What temps are you getting?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I’ve did some research into 2080, and it looks like the quietest ones are triple fan Gigabyte and MSI models. EVGA was somewhere in the middle of the lists. Seahawk Hybrid cards (blower +AIO) supposedly are not worth the hassle, unless you absolutely want to push card heat out of the case.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got the same cooler on a 2080 and its unaudible on the stock fan curve/stock clocks. At full 100% fan speed its noisy, but I've never had it ramp to 100% in regular use. I can get it there if i set the power offset over 120% and push a +150 overclock, but since X1 keeps forgetting my goddamn settings, I don't do that very often.

It's possible that you've got a bad factory paste job, or you might need to invest in some 140mm case fans. Since you are noise conscious, I would recommend the Bequiet Silent Wings 3's. Love them things.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cygni posted:

I've got the same cooler on a 2080 and its unaudible on the stock fan curve/stock clocks. At full 100% fan speed its noisy, but I've never had it ramp to 100% in regular use. I can get it there if i set the power offset over 120% and push a +150 overclock, but since X1 keeps forgetting my goddamn settings, I don't do that very often.

The MSI Afterburner beta is great. Keeps your overclock, and it has a new feature called OC Scanner that dynamically sets an overclock for you, and it's actually really good. You don't need an MSI card to use it, but make sure you grab the beta, not the normal release.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I used Afterburner for a long time but ive been using X1 since its also controls the LEDs (i actually like the heat display mode a lot, SHUTTUP ITS COOL). It's got the OC scanner thing too.

I think its related to Nvidia driver updates, but its annoying none the less. Guess I'm gettin Da Burner again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh gotcha, is the OC Scanner implementation the same across vendors?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Trying to find the post a while back. What was the verdict for the best/cheapest Active DP to DVI converter so you could still use your DVI Korean special monitors with the new 2080's without a DP port?

The thing comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter but that's it. HDMI is also what I need for my VR headsets unless I get a dongle to use the USB-C Port on it for that.

It's Dongles all the way down with these new things.

Got 3 DP ports though. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Taima posted:

I would definitely play with the fan curve on the card. What temps are you getting?

I haven't installed anything yet to expose CPU/GPU temps yet. Any recommendations?

Cygni posted:

It's possible that you've got a bad factory paste job, or you might need to invest in some 140mm case fans. Since you are noise conscious, I would recommend the Bequiet Silent Wings 3's. Love them things.

:negative:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can probably run all those fans at very low RPMs through most of your heat regime. I like Argus monitor.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
There's one unused fan slot at the bottom :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Graphics card sagging nicely there.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

EdEddnEddy posted:

Trying to find the post a while back. What was the verdict for the best/cheapest Active DP to DVI converter so you could still use your DVI Korean special monitors with the new 2080's without a DP port?

The Dell one is usually cheaper than the other models.

I tested it with a 2070 and was only able to OC to around 80 using the dongle vs. 100 when using the native DVI port on the card.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taima posted:

Oh gotcha, is the OC Scanner implementation the same across vendors?

I think it's the same API with different skins on it. Could be wrong!

Phone posted:

I haven't installed anything yet to expose CPU/GPU temps yet. Any recommendations?

When your fans are worth more than your GPU~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Installed Open Hardware Monitor. The CPU is hanging out at a chilly ~50C whereas the GPU is getting up to 70-75C under load; the GPU fans are at 50-65%/1900-2200 rpm. Idling where I can't hear the fans, the GPU is at 48-51C.

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 3, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Krailor posted:

The Dell one is usually cheaper than the other models.

I tested it with a 2070 and was only able to OC to around 80 using the dongle vs. 100 when using the native DVI port on the card.

Which Dell one is that?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

EdEddnEddy posted:

Which Dell one is that?

Dell BIZLINK DisplayPort to DVI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XYBA72?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Installed Open Hardware Monitor. The CPU is hanging out at a chilly ~50C whereas the GPU is getting up to 70-75C under load; the GPU fans are at 50-65%/1900-2200 rpm. Idling where I can't hear the fans, the GPU is at 48-51C.

Those are fine temperatures. You can let them go even higher if you want. The GPU can do past 80 no problem.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok that's not too bad.

Is there such a thing as a good HDMI to DVI-DL adapter that allows overclocking?

Getting a dongle to use the USB-C port for VR would be slightly more preferable.

Hell I think I am about out of USB ports on the back of my rig with all the VR stuff plugged in to boot.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still waiting for 2080 Tis to get in stock, but those idle temps seem really high for not stopped fans. My 1080 idles in the low 30s with active fans, regularly getting into the 20s depending on the house temperature. I don't know if 20 series cards run much differently, but there might be contact issues. At load the drivers prevent it from from getting too hot so it doesn't burn up but it could be much faster with better contact.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The idle temp is with stopped fans. If there's no load, the fans drop to zero and the GPU hangs at about 45-50C. I didn't know that I wasn't hearing the fans because they were stopped. :v:

I found the cross over point where the noise drastically increases, it's about 2k rpm. Under that it's a low hum, but when they're spinning above 2k you can hear them.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 3, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Idling at 27 degrees right now on a, I dunno, 65 degree day on a 2080 with stock fan curve.

e: changed the fans to 20% (basically imperceptible) and it's 28 degrees steady. Still gonna keep the fan curve going at higher temps for gaming.

e2: 29 degrees c at 0% fan, idle

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

It's also a good example of why you want proper integer nearest-neighbor scaling:

OMG

Although IMO it should really be Duke so you could have toilet flushing and what not.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

mobby_6kl posted:

Although IMO it should really be Duke

Postal 2

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well go figure. While it's not optimal by any means, I was able to get the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with the 2080 to work with my Qnix. A little Pixel Clock patching and it works like a charm. A bummer to loose the Overclock potential since I was able to finally get this screen to OC way past 90 to 120Hz with some fine tuning and heck, with CRU you can even get it to do Freesync now.

Guess I should shop around later and see if anyone would be interested in it if they get one of the RTX cards with DVI, or are sticking with a 1080Ti or older I guess.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Phone posted:

Obvious solution:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, I got a couple general (dumb) GPU questions:

I got a 1080p 60hz monitor, nothing fancy here.

1) VSync: Do I want it (no competitive fps stuff, just regular gaming)? Is it the same as limiting framerate?

2) If it's not, should I limit framerate to 60, or should I uncap to give it more... 'overhead' so when things get busy the game doesn't drop below 60?

3) fullscreen vs exclusive fullscreen vs full screen windowed. Is there any actual performance difference on these? I usually go fullscreen window since I have 2 monitors and I tend to alt tab from time to time

3b) Does having two monitor impact performance (GPU-wise)? Second monitor is usually Discord/chrome/YT, maybe a movie from time to time.

4) What are the usual suspects when it comes for the least [performance hit/actual quality improvement] ratio?

That's about it for now, thanks in advance. (I may have dumber follow-up questions)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, I got a couple general (dumb) GPU questions:

I got a 1080p 60hz monitor, nothing fancy here.

1) VSync: Do I want it (no competitive fps stuff, just regular gaming)? Is it the same as limiting framerate?

2) If it's not, should I limit framerate to 60, or should I uncap to give it more... 'overhead' so when things get busy the game doesn't drop below 60?

3) fullscreen vs exclusive fullscreen vs full screen windowed. Is there any actual performance difference on these? I usually go fullscreen window since I have 2 monitors and I tend to alt tab from time to time

3b) Does having two monitor impact performance (GPU-wise)? Second monitor is usually Discord/chrome/YT, maybe a movie from time to time.

4) What are the usual suspects when it comes for the least [performance hit/actual quality improvement] ratio?

That's about it for now, thanks in advance. (I may have dumber follow-up questions)

1) Adaptive vsync will give you the best compromise between performance and quality, but all types of vsync add latency. It is similar but not exactly the same as capping (vsync is a buffer, capping is a throttle).

2) Cap it if you want, but note you can't bank up higher frame rates for when things get busy. If anything, running uncapped makes your computer run hotter and therefore slower.

3) On Windows 7/8.x/10 this is pretty much irrelevant, do whatever works for you. Exclusive full screen might be <1% faster.
3b) No, but what you are running on the second monitor can/will impact performance possibly severely.

4) Varies by game, look up tweaking guides for specific games.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
There really is no universal answer to this, you gotta go game by game.
I personally go for forced vsync on, in fullscreen/windowed and Windows' own triple buffering it acts like a frame limiter that also eliminates all tearing. Never noticed any added latency.
But occasionally there are games that hate any vsync (Far Cry 4 comes to mind and other Ubi titles) where you have to dig deeper and explore other venues.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, thanks. The vsync/cap and full screen stuff is pretty much what I thought it was, so that's good to know.

Shame there's not a good rule of thumb for the performance hit/quality stuff, but I'm not supposed there isn't. Ah well.

Thanks again!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TerminalSaint posted:

Obvious solution:

This is basically identical to what I did with my Zotac. The stock fans were loud, and I had the stock fans from my D15. The D15 fans were much quieter and performed better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I need to verify when I get home, but did some more research and apparently nvidia’s drivers freak out and put the card into maximum overdrive and gently caress with the fan profile if you have a high refresh rate monitor and a 60Hz monitor plugged in at the same time.