Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Maneck posted:

The scale correction meaning they won't make small marines any more makes total sense. Squatting the rhino, land raider and box dread would be stupid, but there are signs they're headed that way.

Man, I don't play Marines at all but if they were gonna discontinue the boxdreads I would need to buy at least a couple. I love those things so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

The scale correction meaning they won't make small marines any more makes total sense. Squatting the rhino, land raider and box dread would be stupid, but there are signs they're headed that way.

There are actually 0 signs they're headed that way.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Booley posted:

There are actually 0 signs they're headed that way.

It sure seems like Primaris is the way of the future. Why wouldn't they drop the old LR and Rhino? The models are, what, twenty years old by now?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cessna posted:

It sure seems like Primaris is the way of the future. Why wouldn't they drop the old LR and Rhino? The models are, what, twenty years old by now?

because people will keep buying them and all of the development costs for them were paid long ago

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TheChirurgeon posted:

because people will keep buying them and all of the development costs for them were paid long ago

The same could be said for all of the small old marines.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Cessna posted:

Those chassis in particular are used by other armies, where boxnauts are not. It's entirely possible we will see a new Rhino mold in 2020 thanks to Sisters of Battle.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cessna posted:

Which you may notice are still for sale

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nite_moogle posted:

Those chassis in particular are used by other armies, where boxnauts are not. It's entirely possible we will see a new Rhino mold in 2020 thanks to Sisters of Battle.

Boxnauts are still for sale with 0 signs they will become not for sale.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The new SM codex also had new rules for extant small marine kits, even finecast ones.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
FW dumpstered the 40k small marines chaplain/chapter dread line instead of refreshing them when the molds gave out. GW hasn't released a new small marine in years, while the new models can't be transported in the old ones (and the old line can't be transported in the new vehicles). GW just announced a line of rules for old, out of production models (which remain popular), about which they explicitly say the rules and points values will not be updated within an edition (just like Fantasy Battle armies can still be played in AoS!).

This is not , "Done for sure". GW might redo the classic marine molds as they fail. Maybe the Land Raider and Rhino models will be overhauled to benefit other Imperial lines and they'll tack something on so Primaris can use them.

But even allowing all of that, claiming "There are actually 0 signs," of Squatting is overly optimistic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Strobe posted:

Which you may notice are still for sale

There was a day when you could buy metal Marines, Zoats, and Tentacle Pink paint. But "for sale now" does not mean 'always will be for sale."

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

FW dumpstered the 40k small marines chaplain/chapter dread line instead of refreshing them when the molds gave out. GW hasn't released a new small marine in years, while the new models can't be transported in the old ones (and the old line can't be transported in the new vehicles). GW just announced a line of rules for old, out of production models (which remain popular), about which they explicitly say the rules and points values will not be updated within an edition (just like Fantasy Battle armies can still be played in AoS!).

This is not , "Done for sure". GW might redo the classic marine molds as they fail. Maybe the Land Raider and Rhino models will be overhauled to benefit other Imperial lines and they'll tack something on so Primaris can use them.

But even allowing all of that, claiming "There are actually 0 signs," of Squatting is overly optimistic.

Unlike molds for resin and metal, injection plastic molds last effectively forever. Just because gw isn't releasing new small marine models doesn't mean that they're being squatted, they just got rules updates to make small marines better....

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Unless they announce Repulsor versions of the Sisters armored stuff, I reckon they're gonna keep on keeping on with the Rhinos.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cessna posted:

There was a day when you could buy metal Marines, Zoats, and Tentacle Pink paint. But "for sale now" does not mean 'always will be for sale."

Cool.

There is no evidence these ones are going way and pretending otherwise is dumb.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Maneck posted:

I think what is being said though is that GW has zero incentive to not continue to produce small marine kits and rules even if they do not create new ones. Primaris are the way they are moving forward, but they lose nothing by keeping the old kits and rules alive.

Forge World has been moving away from 40k specific Marine units and upgrades for a while in favor of Horus Heresy with rules for both systems. I wouldn't view that as the sky falling for small Marines.

The Warhammer Legends appears to largely be for units which used to have rules but never a model, or a model that is long oop, since there are a lot of conversions and kit bashes floating around that they are accommodating. Maybe I am being optimistic, but I do not view that as an introduction to formats and rotation like some do.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Unless they announce Repulsor versions of the Sisters armored stuff, I reckon they're gonna keep on keeping on with the Rhinos.

Battle Sisters will be geting a new model of a Deimos pattern Rhino. It is deliberately distinct from the classic Mk. 2 Mars Rhino used by Space Marines.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/15/battle-sister-bulletin-part-5-vehicle-details

The accessibility of that kit for use as a normal marine rhino will help show which way the winds are blowing. Maybe the doors aren't built into the chassis. We'll see in November.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why didn't they keep shrikes for Tyranids?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Shrikes aren't a model GW sells (or has ever sold). Forge World used to have a set of wings for conversions but those went OOP at least five years ago.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I expect that GW will probably eventually do away with manlets, but I dont think it is soon enough to be worried about it. I kinda see it in 7-10 years, but at the same time I could see them trying to cash in on nostalgia and do new models for the iconic marine units at some point.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

It’s always possibly they could return in a new model release, but as others have said they have never existed as a model so GW mixed it when they started enforcing “only make rules for modes we sell” policy. There’s a lot of interesting Tyranid units that died (but are still mentioned in the current codex) such as the Doom of Malantai or the Parasite of Mortrex.

Shrikes (much like their Warrior counterparts) were never really good on the table, but I could see them making a come back if they somehow balance them properly. As it is big guns look at them for a second and they’re vaporized. With all the multi-damage weapons around, it would be neat if Synapse granted the ability to somehow shrug off larger damage, even if just a little. It used to let models ignore Instant Death, which was a big deal in the older days.

Maybe something like “anytime a model with two or more wounds remaining suffers enough damage to be destroyed, doll a die. On a 5+ that model remains in play with one wound remaining.”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Maneck posted:

Battle Sisters will be geting a new model of a Deimos pattern Rhino. It is deliberately distinct from the classic Mk. 2 Mars Rhino used by Space Marines.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/15/battle-sister-bulletin-part-5-vehicle-details

The accessibility of that kit for use as a normal marine rhino will help show which way the winds are blowing. Maybe the doors aren't built into the chassis. We'll see in November.

HYPE FOR SoB
Y
P
E

F
O
R

S
o
B

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cessna posted:

I really think that small marines are just gonna stop getting new poo poo. They'll still be around but they're "complete"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It seems to be official now that small marines aren't going to get new stuff but you'll be able to run your chapter of tiny, hateful grognards for the foreseeable future.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasn’t some of the Bretonians plastic?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A lot were, but they were also too close to historical figures for GW to own the likeness rights.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Minwax PolyShades is basically the same thing as Army Painter Quickshade yeah?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not unless it's been heavily reformulated. Minwax is very thick.

Minwax was the original "dip" because there was nothing else on the market, but the Army Painter shades are more purposefully designed for miniatures.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is it workable if you brush it on the model in a thin coat instead of actually dipping it or is it still too thick?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Found a painting autobuy. Vallejo metal color airbrush. I'm using pale burnt metal to highlight my dreads metals and holy poo poo this is the metallic paint I always wanted.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
All the Vallejo metal colors are great, either with an airbrush or hairbrush. Though I’ve had problems with the colored ones like copper going bad on me, all the steels/chromes/silvers are perfect.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

Found a painting autobuy. Vallejo metal color airbrush. I'm using pale burnt metal to highlight my dreads metals and holy poo poo this is the metallic paint I always wanted.

Welcome, brother.

A paint range that will make you go 'holy gently caress these are nice'

quickly followed by

'holy gently caress these are expensive'.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeast posted:

Welcome, brother.

quickly followed by

This paint owns I love it.

Meanwhile:

This could have been much worse!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yeast posted:

Welcome, brother.

quickly followed by

For me it was "Holy gently caress these are nice" followed by "Ow my lungs."

Not sure what's in them, but it seems to include some kind of solvent. Be sure to ventilate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stephenls posted:

Not sure what's in them, but it seems to include some kind of solvent. Be sure to ventilate.

The way is pools when you out it on a palette looks like a liquid metal oil spill.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

I use this guy with a gas filter https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-respirator-kit_p5822368

and hope my eyes take care of themselves.

Anytime I varnish I'm always impressed by how fine that mist is.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeast posted:

I use this guy with a gas filter https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-respirator-kit_p5822368

and hope my eyes take care of themselves.

Anytime I varnish I'm always impressed by how fine that mist is.

Do you have an exhaust? I use a quality mask but you know, is that enough? I'm in a ventilated area and create a draught when I use the airbrush.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Death by climate change or death by airbrush.

I'll take the airbrush.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

goose willis posted:

Is it workable if you brush it on the model in a thin coat instead of actually dipping it or is it still too thick?

There's some old tutorials that suggested doing this, and it's generally what what done - but it's better to use quickshade unless you're doing a massive terrain project.

IIRC, you could thin down the minwax with mineral spirits to make it more usable. I found this video where a youtuber compares the two, bringing out the hand drill jig and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

Do you have an exhaust? I use a quality mask but you know, is that enough? I'm in a ventilated area and create a draught when I use the airbrush.

I don't, no.

I did but I found a big sheet of black card caught the overspray, and my mask protected my lungs, so the exhaust was just surplus.

Not saying don't use one if you want, but if you're spraying acrylics, and you have a quality mask, you're at zero risk.

edit: if you open a window or a door, you're set.