Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ilkhan posted:

Dumb question, but if all of my pops are now virtual (finished the tree), how do I have unemployed pops?

In my current run it took an in game month or two for everything to shake down.

Only my machine species got the virtual trait. I had some organic refugees arrive that did not get the trait. I don’t know if this was an artifact of timing (they arrived just before finishing the tree), of them being biological, or what.

First it took a bit for the empty jobs to fill. This displaced some non virtual pops, who became unemployed. Then they slowly took back over some of the jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Dumb question, but if all of my pops are now virtual (finished the tree), how do I have unemployed pops?

End of month churn I think. Also if you still have robotics facilities making robots, they might be part of it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You can have egalitarian Fanatic Purifiers after all. And Pacifists might just not like war and find making their own universe the lesser evil than conquering the rest themselves.

Unless vanilla gives you more than 3 ethic slots now, no you can't?

You need Fanatic Xenophobe and either Spir or Mil.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Thanks for finally giving me a reason to make a human empire:

I don't like playing jerk empires, but since the update I've been having fun making shithead empires to play through the story bits of various origins with and then setting them up for failure so I can keep playing in a galaxy where they got stomped for the vermin they are.

There are approximately 1,678,907 British Empire mods on the workshop, but this is the only one that feels authentic.

Also, the Deviants trait should add that moustache to all portraits. Especially the snails.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I adore this infiltration event image

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

All You Can Eat posted:

Pretty close to guy_looking_at_other_woman.jpg

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

All You Can Eat posted:

Infiltration? All I see are 6 War'thog going about their business.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said, there's no real particular civics or policies that are strictly 'good guy', I'd think. You can have egalitarian Fanatic Purifiers after all.
Not exactly - you can have democratic authority but you have to be either militarist or spiritualist plus fanatic xenophobe

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

ShadowHawk posted:

Not exactly - you can have democratic authority but you have to be either militarist or spiritualist plus fanatic xenophobe
I think you can do it but the purifier goes inactive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

There are approximately 1,678,907 British Empire mods on the workshop, but this is the only one that feels authentic.

Also, the Deviants trait should add that moustache to all portraits. Especially the snails.
I turned Earth into a radioactive hellhole and now I'm going to dump Baol seeds on it. Repeat as required.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How are you supposed to play the Overtuned origin? I've seen it for a while and I'm tempted to try it out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

two fish posted:

How are you supposed to play the Overtuned origin? I've seen it for a while and I'm tempted to try it out.

I haven't played with it extensively, but I think it synergizes well with bio hivemind, or bio slaving empire. It lets you do even more extreme specialization of pops and the main downside of lower lifespan doesn't matter if the pops in question don't produce leaders.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

two fish posted:

Augmented intelligence and elevated synapses with erudite is 50% research from your pops. Combine that with usual tech rush shenanigans and enjoy the science. May want to have enduring/robust to stop your leaders from dropping dead all the time.

Get a client species and you can double dip on their worker output, or create absurd troops (not that they matter).

Digital Flower fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 20, 2024

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Pair it with Cybernetic so you can get two ascension path's traits on your pops.

If you're just starting out don't go nuts with the overtuned traits, the lifespan loss hurts more than you think. Stick with spliced adaptability, the growth rate one, or maybe the auto modding one.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I think with the rare biology tech you can get three auto-modding traits, lol. Cybernetics can't remove positive/overtuned traits so you may want to pre-plan your desired species traits.

I like how even with three auto-modding traits it's still worse than the dark matter trait from modularity. Just goes to show how pushed the new ascension paths are

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a silly amount of fun as a xenophobic spiritualist machine empire.

The meatbags yearn for the mines, as decreed in c:\desktop\holy_document.txt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Any general advice for necromancy empires and/or subterranean origin? I was considering combining the two but it’s a little out of the wheelhouse of my usual peaceniks

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Any general advice for necromancy empires and/or subterranean origin? I was considering combining the two but it’s a little out of the wheelhouse of my usual peaceniks

Subterranean is okay on Lithoids (and I guess machines now that they can have it). Not great, but okay. On anyone else, it is a trap that will actively hamstring you.

With that said, necromancers + subterranean will make your planets rage-quittingly hard to invade.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

AtomikKrab posted:

turn off clustered starts so theres a chance you are alone, reduce empire numbers for more space. When you meet someone for the first time, if you are not going to crush them right away, diplomacy them to buy time. most ai's can be bought off with a trade deal and improved relations

Dramicus posted:

There are a few ways of dealing with that. The quickest and easiest is to set advanced starts to 0. However, if you'd like to keep them, there are still tools available. If you expect conflict with a more powerful neighbor and you don't have any potential allies, you can always pre-emptively subjugate yourself to them to avoid losing territory in an inevitable invasion. The game won't be over, and you will turn them from a hostile entity to a protector, assuming you are able to get them to agree to the right terms. You might need to pay some tribute, but it will give you the time necessary to build up and eventually break free.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I just turn of advanced starts to begin with. It's a bad system imo.

Well, I turned off Advanced Starts, and I've started five games this weekend, and now when I got a war declaration on me in year 30 - 40 demanding my subjugation in four of those five, they only out number me 3 to 1.

In the fifth, the one who was trying to start a war with me ended up sparking the neighboring Khanate to form and walk over me. I satrapied ASAP(ied) but the penalty to my economy when I was trying to build colonies sent me into a death spiral.

I've tried diplomacy, but when they start off at -300 to me because they're Militarist Spiritualists and I dare to be a robot, the only thing I can do is to throw an envoy at them and that doesn't really do enough fast enough.

Maybe I'm just stupid at the game or at builds, or maybe ringworlds just suck to be robots on, but I'm just sick of this.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 20, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

skeleton warrior posted:

Well, I turned off Advanced Starts, and I've started five games this weekend, and now when I got a war declaration on me in year 30 - 40 demanding my subjugation in four of those five, they only out number me 3 to 1.

without advanced starts they're literally starting out at the same point you are, so if you're literally getting out-economied by the ai you might want to turn down the difficulty or look at some guides or something

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

two fish posted:

Rush genetic ascension and double up on traits, ignore the edict used to be the advice before the last patch at least.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

without advanced starts they're literally starting out at the same point you are, so if you're literally getting out-economied by the ai you might want to turn down the difficulty or look at some guides or something

Here's my latest start. I really can't figure out how I'm supposed to have 2700+ fleet strength at year 23, but that's what the empire with a -700 relation with me has on my border.

The other empire has a -300 relation with me, so they aren't the immediate threat, I guess

Edit: yeah, they moved another fleet in, so they have at least 4500 fleet strength to my 900, which might get to 1800 once I find another 2000 alloys

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

Here's my latest start. I really can't figure out how I'm supposed to have 2700+ fleet strength at year 23, but that's what the empire with a -700 relation with me has on my border.

The other empire has a -300 relation with me, so they aren't the immediate threat, I guess

Edit: yeah, they moved another fleet in, so they have at least 4500 fleet strength to my 900, which might get to 1800 once I find another 2000 alloys

Some tips:

Your alloy production should be higher - your second colony should be a forgeworld, and you should repurpose your homeworld to research once it's up and running.

You should have some starbases up at choke points to handle this sort of thing - they can easily add up to 1.5-2k strength at a point for ~400 alloys.

Also, power projection absolutely incentivises building an early fleet; that 900 strength implies you don't even have a full 20 stack of corvettes.

Finally, machine empires actually have a very tough early game; they snowball hard later but have higher early alloy costs and slower pop growth. If you want to maximise your chances of success, take traits that increase pop growth speed and reduce replicator job upkeep.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Starbases have always been useless to me for choke points, except as a way of discouraging the AI with big numbers. Every time a fight actually starts the starbase inevitably loses to any fleet with even 1/2 its listed power, even with a shitload of defense platforms.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Roadie posted:

Starbases have always been useless to me for choke points, except as a way of discouraging the AI with big numbers. Every time a fight actually starts the starbase inevitably loses to any fleet with even 1/2 its listed power, even with a shitload of defense platforms.

The point is that you stack your fleet on top of the starbase.

It absolutely works.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They even have starbase modules that reduce fleet upkeep to encourage you to station your fleet at a starbase.

The addition of a starbase can absolutely tip the balance of early game fights.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Choke point starbases also stop the ai from running infinite tiny fleets all across your empire for you to play whack a mole with.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

skeleton warrior posted:

Why do you have so many minerals and consumer goods just sitting around, you have sold those and bought more alloys to build more ships with and to upgrade your starbases with.

Also what difficulty are you playing on?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roadie posted:

I've had the totally opposite experience--my starbases usually hold off AI fleets pretty drat well, which is good because they do not deter the AI from sending in fleet after fleet to get chewed up my by defense platforms (thanks for the debris, chumps!).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’ve got it. Lithoid, Subterranean origin. Reanimators and Oppressive Autocracy and take Aristocratic Elite third. Then go Cybernetic ascension into the new Imperial Network advanced authority to both further hone in on boosting ruler jobs and also make the dystopian society sustained by the entertainment of cyborg zombie coliseum battles with the new Cyberdome. Cyber bread and circuses.

It’s been too long since I made a Mega Bastards civ.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roadie posted:

Early starbases aren't for soloing fleets they're for boosting your fleet numbers. Your fleet + starbase > their fleet. You put them in a chokepoint so you can force the confrontation on favourable ground. If you have decent intel on your opponent you get told when they're massing an attack so you can start mobilising.

I'm less sold on defense platforms

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also fourthing "what difficulty are you on". And do you have scaling difficulty on, that's the cheat code to not getting swarmed by bullshit on day 1 while still having a challenge later on.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I appreciate all of the pointers and feedback!

Aethernet posted:

Some tips:

Your alloy production should be higher - your second colony should be a forgeworld, and you should repurpose your homeworld to research once it's up and running.

You should have some starbases up at choke points to handle this sort of thing - they can easily add up to 1.5-2k strength at a point for ~400 alloys.

Also, power projection absolutely incentivises building an early fleet; that 900 strength implies you don't even have a full 20 stack of corvettes.

Finally, machine empires actually have a very tough early game; they snowball hard later but have higher early alloy costs and slower pop growth. If you want to maximise your chances of success, take traits that increase pop growth speed and reduce replicator job upkeep.

The problem with my second colony being a forgeworld is that a Ringworld doesn't have a real energy production, it only has a trade production, so my energy output usually sucks and unless I get very lucky with nearby systems, I have to have the first colony focus on energy production to keep me stable. I usually have my homeworld focus on industry production instead. But you're right that I don't have a full stack of 20 corvettes, and I should change my game to make tht more likely to happen. But even with 1.5 - 2K strength, a stack of 1.2K doesn't survive against 4.5K, and that assumes I only have one enemy ready to attack me and I can be prepped at a single choke point.

Keep in mind as well that as a Ringworld, I have 50% habitability until I unlock a 5000 science Engineering tech, so I usually don't have it appear for me until 2030 or so, and so I don't get colonization started in earnest until then. The fact that I have a single colony running in this game is due to having lucked into a Relic world.

AtomikKrab posted:

Why do you have so many minerals and consumer goods just sitting around, you have sold those and bought more alloys to build more ships with and to upgrade your starbases with.

Also what difficulty are you playing on?

I find that as soon as I start expanding in earnest, my consumer goods and minerals production start crashing heavily, so I try to keep some in reserve, but you're right that I'm probably over-reacting and could sell those for the alloys I need for a maximum fleet.

I'm playing on Admiral level. Edit: I'm not playing on scaling because my understanding was that it was bad? But if it's actually solid and prevents the game from being a "get wrecked right away" suckfest for me, I should try that instead

Again, thank you all for the help!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 20, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My goon, you probably shouldn't be playing a machine ringworld start on admiral until you've got a few other games under your belt. It's a bit silly to complain about the ai swarming you unfairly when you're playing on a difficulty that gives them substantial cheats. Play UNE on ensign first to get the hang of building your economy early game, then bump it up once you start winning consistently.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
"Why am I getting bodied?"

*playing on second highest difficulty*

:thunk:

Lower difficulty exists for a reason.

Hell, even I play on lower difficulties usually because I don't think Stellaris does difficulty well, especially if you got scaling difficulty off, and I got 2k+ hours in the game. Granted, I don't like using optimized start strats like selling your starting fleet or whatever, but that's just me. Also, sometimes you just get unlucky.

This start still haunts me to this day. It might be hard to see, but yes, I am boxed in.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 20, 2024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

several years ago you needed to play on admiral even as a relatively new player to face any sort of challenge whatsoever. those days are long gone tho

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I guess I need to give the context that I have 1300+ hours in Stellaris and have won the game as the crisis n Admiral difficulty but haven’t played since they implemented Leaders like 2 years ago.

So difficulty ratings are real now? Okay, maybe that’s a big part of my issue.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2024

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm playing on Admiral level. Edit: I'm not playing on scaling because my understanding was that it was bad? But if it's actually solid and prevents the game from being a "get wrecked right away" suckfest for me, I should try that instead

Again, thank you all for the help!

Admiral gives the AI +75% output to all resources, +45% naval capacity, -30% ship upkeep, -30% shipyard cost, +75% trade value, +15 stability on all planets, and +75% effect to any empire-wide economic bonuses

If scaling was on, these bonuses would start at 0 and ramp up to that level over the first hundred years or so. But since you turned scaling off, all the AIs are getting those full bonuses from day one

That probably has a lot to do with why you're having trouble catching up to them in fleet power

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, a while back the AI got significantly more competent in general and good at eco in particular. Scaling means the early game build-up will be on equal footing, and then the cheats will kick in in the mid/late game. Read the tool tips on the options, they tell you exactly what the setting does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does the automatic ship builder still make the dumbest possible choices assigning weapons on starbases?