Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Get Warmer is the most "ska", TLODOLI and AMB are the most :rock: because they are raw as gently caress. Scrambles is the most badassed, Vacation is the most polished, Adults is a combo of the two.

So, is he more on the punk end of the spectrum? I'm cool with that. Who does he most sound like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, is he more on the punk end of the spectrum? I'm cool with that. Who does he most sound like?

Honestly, Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Bomb the Music Industry, and Jeff Rosenstock's solo work is kind of a genre all to itself, neither ska nor punk.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How do you feel about Bruce Springsteen

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hat Thoughts posted:

How do you feel about Bruce Springsteen

He is my favorite ska band

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fateo McMurray posted:

Adults should be everyone's favorite because it's the only one that's good

I am not real into most Jeff stuff so I am going to check out Adults in the hopes that our taste might be similar.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Spaced God posted:

He is my favorite ska band

hell ya

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

guppy posted:

I am not real into most Jeff stuff so I am going to check out Adults in the hopes that our taste might be similar.
Adults is the most ska punk of all the bomb stuff (I think)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

Adults is the most ska punk of all the bomb stuff (I think)

Nah Get Warmer is. Adults is halfway between that crazy piano driven still kinda experimental stuff that Scrambles perfected and the straight up indie garage punk of Vacation.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Literally The Worst posted:

Nah Get Warmer is. Adults is halfway between that crazy piano driven still kinda experimental stuff that Scrambles perfected and the straight up indie garage punk of Vacation.

Neither Adults or Get Warmer have much that is like 1997 ska. I think Get Warmer is more punk... The reckless weird bullshit gets more controlled from that album on. The only song I really love on that album is Get Warmer.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the musician you're all talking about, so I must ask a) what sort of style does he have; and b) where would be a good place to start if I wanted to listen to him?

They released everything for free/donation on quote/unquote http://quoteunquoterecords.com/albums.htm

I'd recommend Sweet Home Cannada first, because that's the one my friend showed me on the bus when I was 16. It's weird but if you find it interesting stick with it. http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur003.htm Band has a lot of depth and didn't release anything boring.

e;Really the most ska/punk album is Others!

Gabbleduck fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 15, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Oh man. I love all the stories about awkward run ins with Jeff. I thought I was the only one. I fanned out too hard and regret it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Gabbleduck posted:

e;Really the most ska/punk album is Others!

The loving Gold Soundz cover is literally one of my favorite songs. Pog, Soul Crushing Northeast, If Assholes Got Awards, President's Day, This poo poo is Getting Ridiculous, Little Brother :swoon:

Others is the best one :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gabbleduck posted:

Neither Adults or Get Warmer have much that is like 1997 ska. I think Get Warmer is more punk... The reckless weird bullshit gets more controlled from that album on. The only song I really love on that album is Get Warmer.

The first thing I did when I mvoed into my first apartment last summer was play 493 Ruth super loud so you're dumb the whole album is the dopest poo poo.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Literally The Worst posted:

The first thing I did when I mvoed into my first apartment last summer was play 493 Ruth super loud so you're dumb the whole album is the dopest poo poo.

Everytime I go on the internet this week someone calls me dumb. Not dumb Im smart

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm at the Jeff show and I'm wearing a banana suit and I bought a cassette and a Jeff Robostock shirt and life is good

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Stop trying to make cassettes come back, bands. They aren't the new vinyl.

Also I guess LTJ is playing a free show at Mohegan Sun tomorrow so I guess I'm gonna go and get shitfaced and dance then yell at slot machines

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cassettes have always been happening, they are cheap as poo poo to produce and are fun. Stop hating.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rewinding the tape back into the cassette with a pencil after the player eats it is not fun.

And by "have always been happening" I think you mean like "not since the early 2000s at the latest and some lame bands have been trying to make them come back but they're lame and should go away forever"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
early 2000s was 13+ years ago, and tapes fully died in the late 90s thus always around

not sure what the issue is with tapes especially in the ska thread (a dead genre)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
90s nostalgia=tapes coming back

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'll stop complaining about tapes if I can get pogs and hypercolor shirts too

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

I'll stop complaining about tapes if I can get pogs and hypercolor shirts too
You can if you know where to look!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pogs and hypercolor shirts are awesome too

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure I think cassettes are dumb and vinyl is cool.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I have some streetlight vinyl. Had to buy it from victory records tho lol sorry thom

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This is the only newly released cassette worth owning: THE AQUABATS - CADET BEACH PARTY
http://pirateshiprecords.storenvy.com/collections/15492-cassettes/products/7652052-the-aquabats-cadet-beach-party-cs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm buying that

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think I own anything that can play cassettes anymore.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

We've finally found something too outdated and too useless for a ska megathread

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

I don't think I own anything that can play cassettes anymore.

My 2004 truck has a cassette deck!

I still use one of those cassette adapters to play music off my iphone in the car.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Last night I tried to guilt Jeff into playing one more song by telling him about how I got in an accident on the way to the last BtMI show. It didn't work but he was a super nice dude anyway and seemed genuinely glad I didn't get hurt. Jeff owns.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
The Suspects are getting their original singer back: http://suspects.billgrady.com/2015/04/15/welcome-back-chris-kendrick/

If you haven't had a chance to listen to The Suspects, they let you listen or download from their site: http://suspects.billgrady.com/music/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I hate that so many bands are releasing cassettes cis they may as well just be asking for me to donate to them - I can’t play the cassettes, and if a band doesn’t have any CDs or download links available it’s like they’re actively trying to get me to not listen to their music.

That being said, I instantly bought the Aquabats tape just cis it seems like a hard to find pickup. I have no idea how I’m going to listen to it. Time to hit up the local Good Will, I guess.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CodfishCartographer posted:

I hate that so many bands are releasing cassettes cis they may as well just be asking for me to donate to them - I can’t play the cassettes, and if a band doesn’t have any CDs or download links available it’s like they’re actively trying to get me to not listen to their music.

That being said, I instantly bought the Aquabats tape just cis it seems like a hard to find pickup. I have no idea how I’m going to listen to it. Time to hit up the local Good Will, I guess.

Can you seriously even find 5 examples of something that was only released on tape and not on CD or web?

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
I like the idea of cassettes but the only time I tried to play one in my car it broke my cassette player and cassette

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nerve posted:

Can you seriously even find 5 examples of something that was only released on tape and not on CD or web?

I've been to a bunch of really small shows with bands that were good but had basically no online presence aside from a facebook page that never gets updated.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've been to a bunch of really small shows with bands that were good but had basically no online presence aside from a facebook page that never gets updated.

how kvlt of them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nerve posted:

Rules of the Game and Smiles for Macavity :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to the Scofflaws recently. I think they're pretty good; like the Toasters, they have a kind of 2 Tone sound which I really enjoy. What is there that's similar? The Pietasters were recommended to me previously, so I've been thinking about trying them. How about Bim Skala Bim? They seem to be the right sort of age to be a similar thing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bim is loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgKNO1RVSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBxhd4j9VU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
U spelt btmi wrong