Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

nous_ posted:

We are about to put the family Lab down, as she has rapidly spreading cancer and she is starting to suffer. She lived a long and extremely happy life. I want to make a donation in her name to a reputable dog rescue/shelter/charity in the NY-NJ-CT area, preferably lab-focused (general is OK too). I'm doing my own research, but any recommendations as to a particularly good one?

Sorry about your impending loss. Don't forget about a service dog organization. They often use labs, and it provides such a great service to suffering human beings. (I don't know of any particular group in your area though, but I'm sure they are out there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimjuk
Aug 6, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Is it normal for a dog to sit like this??

He's acually sitting on his rear end, not his feet.

My whippet does the same:

Not the best image to show it, but he does.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

Meow Cadet posted:

Sorry about your impending loss. Don't forget about a service dog organization. They often use labs, and it provides such a great service to suffering human beings. (I don't know of any particular group in your area though, but I'm sure they are out there)

We got her through the Seeing Eye (she was rejected as a guide dog because she showed signs of developing hip dysplasia) and we have decided to make an honorary donation to the organization, as well as to the local dog shelter. Thanks for the suggestions. It's a painful decision but it is the right one.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm wondering about water fountains for cats. My mom's cat goes through at least a standard sized bowl of water a day from both drinking and spilling it on the floor, so she was looking at water fountains. What are some good types, especially ones that could hold a large amount of water?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

KariOhki posted:

I'm wondering about water fountains for cats. My mom's cat goes through at least a standard sized bowl of water a day from both drinking and spilling it on the floor, so she was looking at water fountains. What are some good types, especially ones that could hold a large amount of water?

My Drinkwell has a 50 oz reservoir on it. They also make a 70 oz one, but even with four cats and living in a dry climate I only have to refill the 50 oz once a day.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Cat introductions help please!

The two cats have lived in the same house for a month now, but they still won't go near each other except to sit in their respective bedroom doorways and hiss at each other across the hall.

Feliway hasn't shown to help at all (I'm pissed, I'm DIRT poor and would have liked that $20 back).

Apparently one time they chased each other across the house back and forth, I guess kind of deciding who's boss. No development since then. Body postures seem to indicate the older one is boss, but she doesn't leave my room much still.

Mostly I'm just looking for a ballpark time-range that these things take. Also if I should "force" it along a little, close them both out of their bedrooms and make them hang with us while we chill in the living room or something.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

drat Bananas posted:

Cat introductions help please!

We used to have a thread in hre ages ago about it.

Best thing to do is lock the new cat in its own room for 7-12 days, with feliway, litter, etc. Let the other cats sniff it under the door for around that time.

This is how I introduced all my cats to each other, and it worked great.

Now, you might just have a persnickety cat.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

nitrogen posted:

It's actually at the beginning of the cat/kitten megathread.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
I have a question/concern about how my dog eats treats. Right now I'm using kibble as treats (Innova) but I've used similarly sized soft treats and seen this too.

Whenever she's eaten a few treats she coughs a lot. Generally she hacks one up. Is she choking? I've heard a lot of people saying they use kibble for training treats and I haven't heard of this problem. She eats her normal kibble meals just fine.

Do all dogs do this? She is my first dog so I don't know. I don't want her to choke to death trying to learn to do tricks.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cassiope posted:

I have a question/concern about how my dog eats treats. Right now I'm using kibble as treats (Innova) but I've used similarly sized soft treats and seen this too.

Whenever she's eaten a few treats she coughs a lot. Generally she hacks one up. Is she choking? I've heard a lot of people saying they use kibble for training treats and I haven't heard of this problem. She eats her normal kibble meals just fine.

Do all dogs do this? She is my first dog so I don't know. I don't want her to choke to death trying to learn to do tricks.

Mine does this too with kibble. I've always assumed that she's simply inhaling them so she gets the next one faster. Then she'll stop what she's doing, hack a bit, chew, and then carry on.

So, while I doubt it's really good for them, you're not alone. Try spacing the treats out a bit, and getting 2-3 tricks per treat. That might slow her down.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Kaidan does that a little too even with the zukes training treats. If I notice him start to I'll switch to longer things like down-stays and working on his watch command.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My thread is long gone into the archives, but I thought I would let everyone know that when I went out to uncoil the hose today I discovered that my butterfly garden was not a total failure - the few scraggly fennel and dill plants that sprouted have a grand total of five caterpillars on them! I'll post pics in the Critterquest thread in GBS :3:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

nitrogen posted:

Best thing to do is lock the new cat in its own room for 7-12 days, with feliway, litter, etc. Let the other cats sniff it under the door for around that time.

This is how I introduced all my cats to each other, and it worked great.

Now, you might just have a persnickety cat.
I already did that.

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's actually at the beginning of the cat/kitten megathread.
It sure is.

"Kitten Megathread posted:

If it drags beyond a week please ask and see if we can make some suggestions to make things go more smoothly.

drat Bananas posted:

The two cats have lived in the same house for a month now

I didn't ask in that particular thread because neither cat is new, both my roommate and myself already had a cat and we moved into a house together.

I was just hoping for some sort of a timeframe and ideas to make it progress further. Ex: Should I lock them out of their respective bedrooms in neutral territory for a while or not?

Edit: there has been no physical contact between them of any kind (swatting, fighting), only noises and puffing up.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I have a gecko who's tail seems to be getting thinner and he seems to be shedding an excessive amount compared to how often he shed before, he seems to be less active as well. Is this normal for gecko's around the colder months considering that their cold blooded?

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 18, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

drat Bananas posted:

I already did that.

It sure is.

I didn't ask in that particular thread because neither cat is new, both my roommate and myself already had a cat and we moved into a house together.

I was just hoping for some sort of a timeframe and ideas to make it progress further. Ex: Should I lock them out of their respective bedrooms in neutral territory for a while or not?

Edit: there has been no physical contact between them of any kind (swatting, fighting), only noises and puffing up.

Nah, just let things stay how they are provided they're both eating okay and everything. They may eventually reach a sort of hostile truce where they can be in the same room without posturing, but only opposite sides or something. It doesn't always work out :( Good on you for trying though, and try to keep being patient... It has only been a month, which is seconds in terms of cat feuds, unfortunately. Like, I'd expect them to settle into this in maybe 3 months or so?

Now, if you're really inclined, you could try to "force" it by making them associate one another with otherwise positive things. Like give them treats while they're in the same room (they probably won't eat them though if they're this pissy), or simply do the feeding them on either side of a closed door thing. Try to stay calm and not act upset when they pull this poo poo. Sometimes when cats are being all stupid and bitchy it is fun to go up to one or the other and start petting him/her :D This might result in your getting scratched, but if not, it's kind of hilarious to watch them react. "Whoosa pretty baby kitty?! You are! You are my snookums!" "I'M loving BUSY LOOKING TOUGH WILL YOU STOP IT"

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

PSWII60 posted:

I have a gecko who's tail seems to be getting thinner and he seems to be shedding an excessive amount compared to how often he shed before, he seems to be less active as well. Is this normal for gecko's around the colder months considering that their cold blooded?

What kind of gecko, a leopard gecko I'm guessing? You'd best ask in the herp thread. I don't have experience with leopard geckos or fattails, only Rhacs.
When you post in the herp thread make sure to say what species of gecko, what substrate it's on, and what its temperatures are like.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

PSWII60 posted:

Leopard gecko? Need more details. If it is a leopard gecko (only kind I can give advice on) then the tail is where they store fat. If his tail is getting thinner he is using up his fat reserves in his tail. Has he been eating normally? What are you feeding him and how often? Mine never really was interested, but you could let him hibernate for the winter.

Definitely post in the herp thread as has been mentioned. They will have much more detailed advice. You'll need to let us know more details though.

And if he has changed his behavior drastically and is losing weight I would bring him in to the vet (not just a dog and cat vet you'll need an exotics vet with herp experience)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Cassiope posted:

Leopard gecko? Need more details. If it is a leopard gecko (only kind I can give advice on) then the tail is where they store fat. If his tail is getting thinner he is using up his fat reserves in his tail. Has he been eating normally? What are you feeding him and how often? Mine never really was interested, but you could let him hibernate for the winter.

Definitely post in the herp thread as has been mentioned. They will have much more detailed advice. You'll need to let us know more details though.

And if he has changed his behavior drastically and is losing weight I would bring him in to the vet (not just a dog and cat vet you'll need an exotics vet with herp experience)

Yes is is a leopard gecko. Will try the herp thread. I found a small collection of critters when i lifted his cave area so apparently he is eating less at the very least. I fed him mealworms daily, with crickets and occasionally waxworms. Thanks, will try the herp thread, and finding a vet with reptile exp.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

PSWII60 posted:

Yes is is a leopard gecko. Will try the herp thread. I found a small collection of critters when i lifted his cave area so apparently he is eating less at the very least. I fed him mealworms daily, with crickets and occasionally waxworms. Thanks, will try the herp thread, and finding a vet with reptile exp.

Sounds like you are feeding him inside his normal enclosure. Try taking him out and letting him eat in an empty tank (or tupperware or wherever). That way you can monitor how much he is eating, also he may eat better if you give him one at a time. When I fed mealworms if I put a few down my gecko would just get confused and not eat at all. If he only had one in front of him he could focus on it.

Make sure the food is gut loaded too. He may be eating fine, but if his food has no nutritional content he will be full but malnourished. I kept my mealworms in a small rubbermaid with an inch or two of oatmeal and put a few baby carrots in there once every week or so.

One of the problems with mealworms is that the chitin that makes up their outsides can be hazardous for geckos. It can build up or get caught in the digestive tract and they will become impacted. It is much easier to prevent this than to deal with it once your lizard is impacted. I admit I fed mainly mealworms, but since I bred them myself I picked out just the white soft newborn ones and avoided the more grown chitinous ones.

And to help him shed, put him in a shallow dish of warm water (not hot, but don't chill him either) for a few minutes. That can help loosen up the skin. If the skin is getting caught up around his toes it can cut off circulation and he'll lose the toes. I've heard of people using mineral oil to loosen built up shed skin on the toes but I've never done it. I've just used warm water and aloe.
Also make sure he has a warm moist hide, preferably with moss to help with shedding.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Is there any harm in giving my dog soup bones raw? Initial tests all point to ZMG DELICIOUS and no ill effects that I can tell. She loves to chew the thing to death and lick/bite out all the marrow and remove any attached meat and cartilage.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

dietcokefiend posted:

Is there any harm in giving my dog soup bones raw? Initial tests all point to ZMG DELICIOUS and no ill effects that I can tell. She loves to chew the thing to death and lick/bite out all the marrow and remove any attached meat and cartilage.

Raw bones should be fine. You do want to keep an eye on her, some dogs are stupid and will hurt themselves or try to eat the whole thing in one bite and choke, but she should be fine.

I give Husker raw bones all the time, even little bitty ones like lamb leg bones. Just don't let her take it back to her bed like my guy does, you would not believe the mess :gonk:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Raw bones should be fine. You do want to keep an eye on her, some dogs are stupid and will hurt themselves or try to eat the whole thing in one bite and choke, but she should be fine.

I give Husker raw bones all the time, even little bitty ones like lamb leg bones. Just don't let her take it back to her bed like my guy does, you would not believe the mess :gonk:

Yea she only gets them under supervision and I usually stick it back in the fridge after 30-45 minutes to cool it down again. These are MASSIVE like the diameter of a soda can and her teeth aren't leaving much in the way of scratches.

Its bad enough thinking about the beef juice all over my kitchen floor from her sliding it around licking the drat thing.

pheez
Jun 9, 2006
My cat just pooped outside of his litter box for absolutely no reason. The litter box is in a closet which is always kept open, and he went just outside the door of the closet. As far as I know, this is the first time he's done that.

Anyone know of any reasons why? Or what steps to take to make sure he doesn't do that again?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

pheez posted:

My cat just pooped outside of his litter box for absolutely no reason. The litter box is in a closet which is always kept open, and he went just outside the door of the closet. As far as I know, this is the first time he's done that.

Anyone know of any reasons why? Or what steps to take to make sure he doesn't do that again?

Does his litter box need scooped?

pheez
Jun 9, 2006

Comrade Quack posted:

Does his litter box need scooped?

No, that was the first thing I checked.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Closets hold smell, could there be something new added to the closet with a strong sent? like a perfumed sachet or something? Is it possible the poo stuck to the cat and was drug out?

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

dietcokefiend posted:

Just remember she can swallow a big enough chunk of bone, or even a whole bone depending on her size, in under a minute, and an obstruction is a serious problem. If you have to give bones, supervise 100% of the time, and understand that if she swallows anything too big, your vet will likely want to take x-rays and do an exploratory surgery if appropriate. Not to be alarmist but I see it happen way too often, and it's not a cheap thing to fix. Much better to just prevent it with careful supervision anytime you give a rawhide or a bone. If you give it to her, take it back before you go do something else. No small bones at all.

This is also something to be mindful of if your dog eats socks or swallows toys whole. In the last year I've seen two thongs removed from two separate dogs, so I guess my point is dogs are dumb and will swallow anything at all. Just be careful :)

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

Billy Black posted:

One of my cats vomited up 2 worms. I think they were still alive, but the vet couldn't identify them exactly. Had to give them some deworming medicine, and Alexei is even worse when it comes to taking pills. Luckily, I only had to give them two at the vets (the vet helped), and then two more today, so I'm finished. I'm just afraid of the next time I have to do this.

I bought those pill pocket things that you hide the pill in, and one of them just licked it a couple times, and the other chewed on it till he got to the middle, and spit it back out. I also have a plastic syringe looking thing, where I put the pill in the front and just shove it down their throat, but it's still a pain. I have stab wounds and scratches all over my hands. The only way it works is if you have a second person to hold his paws still, but even then, we gave up on the last couple chunks of chewed up pill. Most of it went down, at least. But it got to the point where he was making this low growling noise that I've never heard him do before.

Is there some way to make this less stressful on me and the cat? I mean, other than taking them in to the vet every time (because that's equally stressful for them)?

I brought in fecal samples (since I didn't have any the first time), and they both tested negative on the worms, so I think I'm good there. However, she decided to run a test for bacteria, and Alexei tested positive for Coccidia and something else. We told her that pills just don't work for Alexei, so she gave us a liquid. I can look up what the medicines are, if it makes any difference. But, I figured the liquid could be easier, because he wouldn't be able to wiggle it out of his mouth. Boy was I wrong...

We can usually get it into his mouth, but even then, he just starts to push it back out slowly. So much came out that his whole front was covered in it, and it was all over the house. I thought the bastard had swallowed it, so I let go of him. That was yesterday. This morning, we couldn't even get the second one in his mouth. I was crouched down with him between my legs so he couldn't back up, and I was holding each paw with one hand to make sure he didn't scratch. It wasn't enough. We missed, and the medicine got everywhere again, so I tried to clean him off. He started making these howling noises that I've never heard a cat make before, so I tried to leave him alone, but I had to dry him off first.

The only thing I can think is that this cat thinks I'm trying to poison him. I'm pretty sure he hates me now, and I'm also pretty sure that giving him medicine is no longer an option. The only other thing I can think is that we could mix it into some wet food, but it's a substantial amount of medicine, and I know he's going to be able to smell it. And once we mix it into the wet food, we can't do anything else with it at that point. Either the vet needs to do this, or he needs to be sedated, which I really can't afford. I just don't know what to do. I love this stupid loving cat, and I don't want to think of giving him up. I'm also a little upset right now, if you can't tell. I can't remember the last time I've been this upset.

Edit: Sebastian (our other cat) hissed at me this morning when he heard Alexei yowling, but both have calmed down. I'm sure I'm exaggerating about the "I'm pretty sure he hates me" thing, but he's certainly not happy with me.

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 19, 2010

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Cats are stubborn assholes. They have that poison response where they foam at the mouth whenever they taste something bitter. It sucks but I've had success with my cats by medicating, then pulling up some water in the syringe and giving that, then giving a treat. The water seems to help get the taste out of their mouths. Cats also tend to do a lot better with pills if you chase it with some water.

Keep some of his wet food or favorite treat on hand, after a couple days he'll (hopefully) realize that the unpleasant stuff at least gets followed by something worthwhile. Plus, coccidia can be a nasty parasite if it's left untreated. They are a sort of parasite if your vet didn't tell you, and you need to practice good hygiene to make sure you don't get it too.

YMMV, and if you can get your cat to eat food and meds mixed together more power to you. My little jerks are wise to those tricks. They might get mad at you and be standoffish for a week or two, but they'll get over it.

Edit: Maybe you could ask your vet if you can bring the cat in once a day just to have him medicated. Some places won't even charge for that kind of thing.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 19, 2010

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Billy Black I went through something similar when my cat needed a month of liquid medicine twice a day. People do have different experiences medicating cats, but it does get easier once you find a way that works. I had to go back to the vet and also we tried pills half way through to see if they would be easier ,for us they weren't but a lot of people do well with a pill popper.
With dosing her food I would try hiding it in something other than her regular food and in small amounts, you might put her off her regular food even without medication, by mixing. (I also failed at this) I went through my first 10 day supply experimenting with no luck but my cat is seriously the pickiest eater ever.
What I actually had the best luck with was grabbing my cat sitting on the floor on my rear end with her back pressed against my chest her butt also on the floor, then using the syringe to shoot the medicine down her throat. It's a ton easier with two people, so you can have some one hand you the syringe at the last second once you have all the paws restrained. The first 2 weeks I looked like I had been through a blender and I was mentally exhausted. It gets easier, the trick is speed, once you get the hang of it it's a lot less stressful on everyone if bam it's over.
I did call my vet many times and they said I could bring her in and they would do it, they also said I might call an in home pet sitter, they have more experience with it and are usually willing to do it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Empire State posted:

Just remember she can swallow a big enough chunk of bone, or even a whole bone depending on her size, in under a minute, and an obstruction is a serious problem. If you have to give bones, supervise 100% of the time, and understand that if she swallows anything too big, your vet will likely want to take x-rays and do an exploratory surgery if appropriate. Not to be alarmist but I see it happen way too often, and it's not a cheap thing to fix. Much better to just prevent it with careful supervision anytime you give a rawhide or a bone. If you give it to her, take it back before you go do something else. No small bones at all.

This is also something to be mindful of if your dog eats socks or swallows toys whole. In the last year I've seen two thongs removed from two separate dogs, so I guess my point is dogs are dumb and will swallow anything at all. Just be careful :)

Point taken. So far form what I have observed, she doesnt swallow any parts of toys unless they are incredibly small. Her little rawhide bones are finally swallowed when pieces are the size of match sticks. The bones I have been feeding her are larger than those badass industrial-sized kongs and just about as durable. None have chipped and none have shown teeth marks in the bone itself not including the marrow. Hell the stuffing inside her toys grows on her like a beard and none of it is swallowed, only discarded.

Right now I am more afraid of my crotch. She pushes toys between my legs as I sit at the table working at my laptop to try and get me to play with her. If I dont react she drops said toy and growls/barks at my balls no more than 2-3" away. :ohdear:

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

ChairmanMeow posted:

I did call my vet many times and they said I could bring her in and they would do it, they also said I might call an in home pet sitter, they have more experience with it and are usually willing to do it.

I'm definitely thinking about bringing him in to the vet. He hates that, too, but at least he'll get the medicine, and be mad at the vet instead of me. And that way, if they can't get the medicine in his mouth, it isn't my fault anymore! Plus, I won't have to go to work stressed out every day...

Today, I tried the squishy food. Sebastian loves squishy food, and was trying to eat it, so I had to separate them. I'm gonna check back on my lunch break to see if he even touched it (my money is on 'no'). If not, I think I'm calling my vet to see if they'll do it. Emotionally, I can't handle this much longer.

Edit: Nope, doesn't look like he touched it. He did tear the carpet up pretty badly though, so I let him out. He's such a drama queen. He hissed at me when I walked in, but now he's laying on the couch all sprawled out and letting me rub his belly.

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2010

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

Quote=/=edit

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cats can be very forgiving. I do understand how you feel. When you take him into the vet watch how the vet does it, sometimes seeing it done helps.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

ChairmanMeow posted:

Cats can be very forgiving. I do understand how you feel. When you take him into the vet watch how the vet does it, sometimes seeing it done helps.

I don't mean to sound like my cat is worse than everyone else's when it comes to this, but it's not just me. I watched the vet give him a dewormer pill, and I almost enjoyed how difficult it was for her, even with the two of us. The pill ended up as mush and in several pieces. Though in her defense, she did get every mushy piece down his throat eventually.

He's so sweet most of the time, and never hisses or scratches unless pills or baths are involved. Once he realizes what's going down, the claws come out. He gets to the point where he's a ball of claws and tears. Then he runs away and shivers in the corner. It's the most heartbreaking and infuriating process I've ever been through.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly do understand.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

I should be able to opt my cats into my health insurance plan.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

So apparently my dog Freya is the reincarnation of Houdini. She has pretty bad separation anxiety and had started to shred her plastic crate, creating razor sharp bits of plastic along the edges. So we got this crate which had been suggested in the separation anxiety thread as a good choice for one that she would struggle to injure herself on. We then spent the next couple of weeks really making sure she enjoyed spending time in her crate and we have been slowly getting her comfortable with us leaving while she is in it. Today we were forced to leave her alone for a half hour which is well beyond her current comfort zone. When we returned she had opened the door to her crate and consumed an entire plum cake that had been on the counter. On the bright side the plum cake distracted her long enough so she didn't start trying to burrow through the front door to find us. I am completely at a loss at how she got the crate door open since to close it the door has a pair of vertical metal bars that slot into holes and a latch to hold the door tight. So to open it she had to flip the latch and then lift the door up and out. Any suggestions for how I can keep her from doing this again? The best idea I can come up with at the moment is to padlock the door.

Clearly plotting her next escape.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Nah, just let things stay how they are provided they're both eating okay and everything. They may eventually reach a sort of hostile truce where they can be in the same room without posturing, but only opposite sides or something. It doesn't always work out :( Good on you for trying though, and try to keep being patient... It has only been a month, which is seconds in terms of cat feuds, unfortunately. Like, I'd expect them to settle into this in maybe 3 months or so?

Now, if you're really inclined, you could try to "force" it by making them associate one another with otherwise positive things. Like give them treats while they're in the same room (they probably won't eat them though if they're this pissy), or simply do the feeding them on either side of a closed door thing. Try to stay calm and not act upset when they pull this poo poo. Sometimes when cats are being all stupid and bitchy it is fun to go up to one or the other and start petting him/her :D This might result in your getting scratched, but if not, it's kind of hilarious to watch them react. "Whoosa pretty baby kitty?! You are! You are my snookums!" "I'M loving BUSY LOOKING TOUGH WILL YOU STOP IT"

Thanks! They've both eaten treats (stinky wet food) in the same room and were pretty happy with that. During the first week they had a hissing fit and I touched my cat, who then hissed at *me*. Now when I touch her when she's in a staredown she promptly turns her back to the other cat in order to get more scritches from me. So at least I don't think they feel threatened by each other, it's probably mostly whiny "YOU WHIPPERSNAPPER"/"OH WHATEVER GRANDMA" bitching. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Sounds like cats :rolleyes: Oh well, they'll relax more as time goes on.