Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Videodrome posted:

Quick kitten question:

Preface: I do not own a cat nor wish to own a cat.

A few minutes ago I heard something crash in my garage and went out to see what it was. It turns out the engine bay of one of my cars is filled with kittens. I know there are at least 2, but I think there is a third in there somewhere. They look to be weened, but thin. They also don't want anything to do with me.

I opened the garage door high enough to let them leave, but I also put out a can of tuna and a bowl of water in case they needed it.

Was this bad? Should I just shoo them off to fend for themselves, or is leaving some food out a good/bad thing?

I'm not going to take them in as pets or anything, but I'd prefer not to be responsible for kittens starving to death.
If you leave food for them, they'll stay. If you don't want them, you should contact a local shelter/rescue/vet to see if someone can take them. Much better for them to get into that environment (and be spayed/neutered) rather than going out into the wild to continue breeding. Any sign of the mother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait what? I cut the cats' nails from the side, not straight on like you do with fingernails.
Human fingernails are generally flat, so nail clippers are 2 generally flat blades pressing together to snap the nail off. Animal nails aren't quite that flat as they're "bulged" out and convex on both sides, so animal nail clippers use 2 curved blades that go past each other(basically like a guillotine, but don't use guillotine-style clippers, just use scissor-style ones). The idea is that it allows the clippers to exert even pressure in order to get a clean cut.

Kambultoh
Aug 1, 2008

Two questions... First, my husband was clipping kitty nails today and one of them twiched and he nailed a quick. (ouch!) He said he barely got it but it seemed to bleed forever. What can be done to stop the bleeding?

And second, I just discovered roundworms in one of their poops. She has had diarrhea for a few days but we thought it was from these terribly cheap treats hubby got, but now I'm certain it's due to the worms. The other two kittens' poops are solid. Do I need to worm all three to be safe, or just the one that I know has them? And how can I keep the other two from getting infected? I've never dealt with roundworms before, just tapeworms.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Kambultoh posted:

Two questions... First, my husband was clipping kitty nails today and one of them twiched and he nailed a quick. (ouch!) He said he barely got it but it seemed to bleed forever. What can be done to stop the bleeding?

And second, I just discovered roundworms in one of their poops. She has had diarrhea for a few days but we thought it was from these terribly cheap treats hubby got, but now I'm certain it's due to the worms. The other two kittens' poops are solid. Do I need to worm all three to be safe, or just the one that I know has them? And how can I keep the other two from getting infected? I've never dealt with roundworms before, just tapeworms.
For the bleeding nail, you can get some styptic powder at any pet supply store. It's a coagulant that will cause clotting and stop the bleeding. In a pinch, though, you can put some regular flour on the wound for a similar effect.

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith
I wan't a kitty but my sister and father are alergic. :argh:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Kambultoh posted:

For roundworm you need to treat all of them, especially if they share litterboxes as the eggs etc are in the poop and kittens stand near poop -> clean paws -> ingest eggs. Roundworms do cause loose stool sometimes. When we dosed our kittens to get rid of roundworm we followed up with another worming tablet a month afterwards.

If you're lucky you'll get to see dead roundworms in their poop :woop:

Edit: \/\/\/ fuckin' aye tell me about it.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 15, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

For roundworm you need to treat all of them, especially if they share litterboxes as the eggs etc are in the poop and kittens stand near poop -> clean paws -> ingest eggs. Roundworms do cause loose stool sometimes. When we dosed our kittens to get rid of roundworm we followed up with another worming tablet a month afterwards.

I bet that only a few short months ago, you couldn't have imagined how much kitten poop was in your immediate future, nor how much of an expert you'd become on the subject! Ah... the wonders of cat ownership :allears:

A random note on this general subject - I woke up today to an amazingly long streak of brown across almost the entire length of the kitchen floor, ending in a small deposit of cat feces. This is one of the more charming things that Jackie does once every few months - when she presumably gets something stuck to herself while in the process of elimination, her solution is invariably to just drag her rear end across the linoleum floor until it's gone. It's both comical and horrifying to see, but I usually stop her mid-process before it gets too gross. This time I slept through it, so... yeah *shudders* Not a fun thing to clean up first thing in the morning.

Thankfully in the 15 months since I've had her, this has happened only three times and those are the *only* three times that I have found cat-poop in some place other than the litter box. And Jackie has yet to get diarrhea or any form of upset stomach during that period of time, either. So for the most part I think I've been *extremely* lucky in this regard. Not that I felt that way this morning. Jackie's not the only cat that does this, right? Surely this is... a fairly common practice? I hope it's not some incredibly gross quirk exclusive to her.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

kaworu posted:

Thankfully in the 15 months since I've had her, this has happened only three times and those are the *only* three times that I have found cat-poop in some place other than the litter box. And Jackie has yet to get diarrhea or any form of upset stomach during that period of time, either. So for the most part I think I've been *extremely* lucky in this regard. Not that I felt that way this morning. Jackie's not the only cat that does this, right? Surely this is... a fairly common practice? I hope it's not some incredibly gross quirk exclusive to her.

Oh, it's totally normal. My long haired cat cannot be bothered to clean himself properly and instead likes to use my HARDWOOD FLOOR as toilet paper. The other day he decided to really have fun with it and scooted in my bedroom, the hall, the dining room, and the living room. I found little smears everywhere but the kitchen.

Fortunately my apartment needed a mop anyway. He's only done it a couple of times (I guess that last dingleberry just wouldn't fall off) and usually after he ate a plant or something and wasn't, um, as regular as he usually is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At which point should one start to worry about vomit? My girlfriend's indoor cat has been doing it quite a bit lately, like three to five times a week of staccato barf sessions, only about half the time is it due to a hairball. He seems well otherwise. He's around 4, male, neutered and eats Whiskas Dental Protection Plus, and she's had him for about 1 1/2 years. He's been eating the same stuff the whole time, and the one plant he has access to he seems to just destroy rather than ingest. He was at the vet about two months ago, perfectly healthy.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 15, 2012

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

At which point should one start to worry about vomit? My girlfriend's indoor cat has been doing it quite a bit lately, like three to five times a week of staccato barf sessions, only about half the time is it due to a hairball. He seems well otherwise.

If your cat is barfing up mostly undigested dry food, it could be the same problem my cat had. He would gorge himself on dry food, then gulp down water and barf the whole mess up. We solved the issue by putting the water bowl in a different room than the food bowl. He still gets plenty of water and it seems to have mitigated the barfs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

four lean hounds posted:

If your cat is barfing up mostly undigested dry food, it could be the same problem my cat had. He would gorge himself on dry food, then gulp down water and barf the whole mess up. We solved the issue by putting the water bowl in a different room than the food bowl. He still gets plenty of water and it seems to have mitigated the barfs.

Nah, it's pretty much light brown goop, I rarely notice any distinctly undigested food. It doesn't happen exclusively after eating and it's at all times of the day. He'll only binge if it's tuna and that doesn't make him vomit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SplitSoul posted:

Nah, it's pretty much light brown goop, I rarely notice any distinctly undigested food. It doesn't happen exclusively after eating and it's at all times of the day. He'll only binge if it's tuna and that doesn't make him vomit.
Check with a vet? Could be a stomach bug.

Kambultoh
Aug 1, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

Edit: \/\/\/ fuckin' aye tell me about it.

I already saw worms in diarrhea-kitty's poop, that's how I know what's wrong with her. :barf:

How do I keep them from reinfecting themselves? Should I just change out the cat litter when I give them the pills or what? drat, I JUST filled two sifting boxes with PetSmart's Feline Pine too. What a waste.

Kambultoh
Aug 1, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

At which point should one start to worry about vomit? My girlfriend's indoor cat has been doing it quite a bit lately, like three to five times a week of staccato barf sessions, only about half the time is it due to a hairball. He seems well otherwise. He's around 4, male, neutered and eats Whiskas Dental Protection Plus, and she's had him for about 1 1/2 years. He's been eating the same stuff the whole time, and the one plant he has access to he seems to just destroy rather than ingest. He was at the vet about two months ago, perfectly healthy.

I had a long-haired barf-monster that sometimes produced a hairball and often was just liquid. I put her on Iams Hairball Control food and the puking stopped.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have three cats. Some friends are staying over to on their way through California for two nights, and they have three cats (!!). We said it was ok but I said they'd have to keep all of their cats in the guest bedroom. Is this even a good idea? is this some kind of potential murderfest that's going to happen?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kambultoh posted:

I had a long-haired barf-monster that sometimes produced a hairball and often was just liquid. I put her on Iams Hairball Control food and the puking stopped.

He gets anti-hairball treats daily, though.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Question about that Cat Attract Litter.. I am trying to move the cats to the Clever Cat litter box but when I took the old one out (after a week or so) Sheldon peed in the corner even though he's been crapping in the new one. I'd like them both to migrate to the top loader since it helps with the tracking, but cat pee in the corner isn't a great trade off.

Has anyone ever used that Cat Attract and does this seem like the way you'd use it?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
It'd probably help, but first thing is you should clean that corner really really thoroughly with Nature's Miracle. It probably still smells like a toilet to them, so I'm not surprised he went there.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It'd probably help, but first thing is you should clean that corner really really thoroughly with Nature's Miracle. It probably still smells like a toilet to them, so I'm not surprised he went there.

Yep, I did that and will probably do it again since there's a chance that something got inbetween the boards in the wood floor. He's only gone the once (I put the other box back while I tried to figure it out) so I'm pretty sure that he's voicing displeasure instead of thinking it's the new fun place to pee.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
Oh dear gods our fosters have URIs again. This is the second time they've been sick in the 3 or so weeks we've had them. Our adult cats seem fine and the biggest foster just has an eye booger or so, but the littlest girl seems very sick (mucus in eyes and both nostrils) and the other girl is moderately sick (mucus in one nostril and watery eyes). Of course we find this coming home LESS THAN AN HOUR after the shelter closes. So now I can't call them and have no idea what to do. If we're lucky we can catch them tomorrow morning while they are cleaning. In the meantime, are there any OTC decongestants that kitties can have to make them more comfortable?

Plus our adult male's poop issues have been getting worse, now they're legit squirty. The vet can never find anything wrong with him though, so wtf?

Goddammit cats! Stop breaking!

Arkham Angel fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 17, 2012

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Is there a specific thread to ask about elderly cats and their issues?

I have a 21-year-old brown tabby (Bill Z. Bubba) who is sliding down in to what I think is feline dementia, and I have a few questions.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Edwardian posted:

Is there a specific thread to ask about elderly cats and their issues?

I have a 21-year-old brown tabby (Bill Z. Bubba) who is sliding down in to what I think is feline dementia, and I have a few questions.

Here's fine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Double postin'

Motherfucking Toby. He's thrown up after four of his last six meals. This would be a pain in the rear end normally, but the double pain in the rear end part is the part where he's been taking antibiotics* so his pills are going right out of him again. He did it the first time before he was on the pills so I'm pretty sure it's not them.

CLUES
  • The barf is brownish liquidy with more or less undigested kibble. Today the pills were even visible in it :sigh:
  • It's always right within about half an hour of the meal
  • Each meal, he's fed a mix of Chicken Soup for the Catlover's Soul Hairball Edition wet food (quarter can) + some kibble (Before Grain Chicken) to keep him from eating it too fast and barfing which has been a problem in the past. He has been on these foods for a year+ with no problems.
  • He gets fed between 7-9am and then again 5:30-6:30pm.
  • The last two meals I gave him an eighth of a can instead, along with more kibble than usual, to see if it would help. Yesterday no barf, today barf :mad:
  • He hasn't even been really finishing his food lately. He and Luna go through phases, usually concurrently, when this is the case. They eat more throughout the day but usually leave some leftover by the next meal :iiam: They're both in this phase at the moment.
  • Other behavior is normal: plays, begs, bothers, sleeps, whines etc. as he usually does. No unusual lethargy.
  • Neutered & about 5.5 years old, a tiny bit chubby but not overweight according to the vet.
  • No changes in household.

I don't know if I'm looking for suggestions for why he's doing this** or how to stop it or what but son of a bitch. I just want his pills to get in him so his lungs will stop being gross :(

* Why: He has had a cough for like a year; got him checked out; he was medicated for asthma for two weeks; it didn't fix it; chest x-rays & a tracheal wash showed his lungs full of mucus and gunk; tests came back with some kind of infection that antibiotics were supposed to kill off. The antibiotics started on Saturday morning. First barf was Friday night.

** Besides "Cats are jerks." And yes all four times have been on the carpet despite the large expanse of hardwood floor and/or tile available :argh:

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 18, 2012

tortueperdue
Sep 3, 2007
Apparently, I can't leave this blank.
Hi PI!

Wiggles the cat has a problem with over-grooming. He is 8.2lbs and roughly a year old. He came from a pet rescue where he lived with 16 other cats. I have done everything for this cat. He lives in a cat paradise with his sister. I give him loads of attention and food. Wiggles has had steroid shots, an air filter, hypoallergenic food, scabies medication, and even Coney 2012 to resolve this. He's still balding. I've been to the vet more times for this cat than for any other animal in my life. Our next step is cat xanax or another anti anxiety medication. Does anyone have experience with this?

Obligatory Wiggles picture:

Please help my poor balding cat!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Can a short haired kitten (9 weeks) get hairball issues? My fiancee and I have an adopted tabby that we've had for just about a week. Yesterday and last night, she puked 4 times, 3 of them just being spit looking, the fourth having some digested food slop. She is still eating and drinking, still pissing and making GBS threads, and still being a crazy hyper happy kitten. She just got her second round of vaccines recently too, so I guess there is that. Also if you take a stethoscope to her stomach, you can hear her intestines working. It is probably silly but we just got this cat so I want to know if I need to call the vet or if she is just a kitten learning how to hock up a hairball.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

Lipumira posted:

Question about that Cat Attract Litter.. I am trying to move the cats to the Clever Cat litter box but when I took the old one out (after a week or so) Sheldon peed in the corner even though he's been crapping in the new one. I'd like them both to migrate to the top loader since it helps with the tracking, but cat pee in the corner isn't a great trade off.

Has anyone ever used that Cat Attract and does this seem like the way you'd use it?

We swapped from Swheat Scoop to Cat Attract litter when we got a litter robot. My cat had issues pee'ing outside the box(behavioral issues) and the cat attract litter fixed it right up! Since moving to that litter we haven't had one issue since. The cats are visibly attracted to the litter, whenever I refill both cats come over to watch and smell the litter and usually one gets in while I'm refilling to use. I say it is def worth a shot to try when it's not that expensive!

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

tortueperdue posted:

Hi PI!

Wiggles the cat has a problem with over-grooming. He is 8.2lbs and roughly a year old. He came from a pet rescue where he lived with 16 other cats. I have done everything for this cat. He lives in a cat paradise with his sister. I give him loads of attention and food. Wiggles has had steroid shots, an air filter, hypoallergenic food, scabies medication, and even Coney 2012 to resolve this. He's still balding. I've been to the vet more times for this cat than for any other animal in my life. Our next step is cat xanax or another anti anxiety medication. Does anyone have experience with this?

Have you tried Feliway?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

- Name - Raven; Diego
- Age - ~3 years; ~2-3months
- Sex - Female; Male
- How long have you had your cat? - ~3 years; 3 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes; No
- What food do you use? - 'The Goodlife Recipe' but switching her to Wellness Core which he is on as well since I didn't know how awful it really was (mom usually just picked it up)
- When was your last vet visit? - Uhh probably 1-2 years?; Not sure if he's been or not
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - Indoors for both; definitely for Raven, she makes it maybe a few feet usually before dashing back inside
- How many pets in your household? - Just the 2
- How many litter boxes do you have? - 2

So yeah, having some trouble with introducing a new kitten. For some backstory, I had found Raven in a bush outside of my house one morning, coaxed her out with some tuna and milk and convinced mom to keep her. This was around August 2009 I think, I'm terrible with dates like that. We had suspected she may be from some farm down the road that has a good amount of cats wondering around, but this was a couple weeks after we took her in so was already attached :3: She's incredibly skittish and shy, but has calmed down slightly over the years. While she latched onto me pretty much immediately, it took her probably a few months to really become comfortable around my mother, but has 'warmed' up to other people quicker than to her which I think is due to her calming some. And by that I mean if my grandmother comes over, she'll come out into the living room, maybe rub up against the couch where we're sitting as opposed to hiding under my mom's bed the entire visit like she does when there's a stranger/a lot of people around. Relatives joke that she's jealous because whenever I talk with someone else in the living room she'll come in and rub against my leg/jump up onto the couch next to me. I think it's just because I generally keep my door closed as my mom works nightshift, so helps with noise from her keeping me up or my TV keeping her up. But after getting the little guy I think they are probably right.

As for him, mom's boyfriend had meant to get him as a gift for his new grandson, but didn't think about the dogs his son has, so of course a couple days of kitten sitting and both of us were kitten smitten. But I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy, so never really planned on getting another and needing to figure out how to do this. I had kept them separate, him in my room with litterbox, food and water, with her having the rest of the house for a week or so. After that, I would let him out to run off some of his boundless kitten energy with Raven mostly staying away for the first week (did it once a day for a bit, probably should have done/do it more often, but v:shobon:v). She'll hiss and has swatted at him a few times but nothing violent. I'm probably a bit paranoid since her nails aren't clipped or anything (I didn't know you could use human clippers, relative had gotten some trimmer thing but it was motorized and hahahahaha I'd end up in shreds if I tried to use that on her with vet/groomer being a bit expensive). Past week I've been letting him out still, but now I'll hold him and sit near Raven and as long as I don't hold him less than like 4-5 inches from her face, she's cool. She'll purr if I pet her, holding out my hand, and will rub up against my sides while he's sort of under my armpit/on my forearm. Let him out earlier and he was playing in front of the front door with some twist-tie and she came and just watched him and was fine, but did hiss/swat when he slid too close to her.

So yeah, bit disjointed/rambling there, but trying to describe as best I can. I'm a bit worried because of the size difference and her personality/temperament. Not sure if the lack of being around other cats has made her even more anti-social than she would be if she grew up with her siblings which makes this harder. I had put him in the carrier once, but he flipped the gently caress out clawing at the gate, so don't think it'll do well to let her smell him that way, though I did mess with him and a bit and trapped him under the laundry basket to see how she'd react to that since him zooming around probably didn't help her nerves and she did okay. He was calm and so was she, still bit of hissing when he moved to the side she was at.

Yeah, so thinking I may need to get that Feliaway stuff, unless anyone has any tips that might work for the situation. I'm not cat psychologist, but I think it's more than usual cat territoriality with Raven. If that's the best way to go, where is it best to put it? She spends most of her time in the living room, with him in my room, weirdly enough she's been under the couch the past week because of a guest. Figured she'd get more of the pheromones there than if I put it in her room, which is just for food/water/litterbox.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

My girlfriend's friend found three kittens near her house with no sign of the mother. She's keeping them safe and is a stay-at-home mom so she's got plenty of time to treat them right. KMR into real food, shots and vet visit / neuter on the horizon, etc.

They're probably 4 weeks old now and my girlfriend wants to adopt one after they get a clean bill of health. I currently have two adult cats, one ~2yrs and one ~4. I'd like to supervise the new kitten introduction, if possible, but both me and my girlfriend work full-time. We are also going to be gone for a solid week at the end of August, so the kitten would be about 3 months old when we left.

So, any advice? I know the basics of kitten care and management but have always adopted older shelter cats. This situation would be keeping the kitten OUT of the shelter, so I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure how to go about integration given the daily schedule and the week of absence. Is that too soon to leave him alone (with someone coming by to check on him?) He'd have been with the other cats for a month+ at that point.

It's not set in stone that we WILL adopt him, and other people can offer good homes if we can't, so I'm looking for an honest assessment and not just an excuse to get a kitten.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

PipeRifle posted:

My girlfriend's friend found three kittens near her house with no sign of the mother. She's keeping them safe and is a stay-at-home mom so she's got plenty of time to treat them right. KMR into real food, shots and vet visit / neuter on the horizon, etc.

They're probably 4 weeks old now and my girlfriend wants to adopt one after they get a clean bill of health. I currently have two adult cats, one ~2yrs and one ~4. I'd like to supervise the new kitten introduction, if possible, but both me and my girlfriend work full-time. We are also going to be gone for a solid week at the end of August, so the kitten would be about 3 months old when we left.

So, any advice? I know the basics of kitten care and management but have always adopted older shelter cats. This situation would be keeping the kitten OUT of the shelter, so I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure how to go about integration given the daily schedule and the week of absence. Is that too soon to leave him alone (with someone coming by to check on him?) He'd have been with the other cats for a month+ at that point.

It's not set in stone that we WILL adopt him, and other people can offer good homes if we can't, so I'm looking for an honest assessment and not just an excuse to get a kitten.

Can you do visual introductions for just a few hours at a time and then have supervised play during weekends? We usually keep our fosters in the bathroom and let them see each other/smell each other/let them play while we're home depending on how they do. Luckily our male cat was extremely sociable so no introduction has ever taken more than a few days for us (including an adult female that we adopted with this batch of fosters) but it doesn't have to be labor intensive.

On this vein is having your two adults smack each other around normal? There's no hissing or growling.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Yeah, the two adults wrassle around the house. There have been a few incidents of hissing but only when one of them inadvertently corners the other.

I'm fine with doing structured introductions and keeping them separate the rest of the time. But would that be in some way damaging to the kitten to be left alone for 8+ hours every day, getting 5-6 supervised introduction, then back to 6-8 hours alone (but possibly still in our bedroom) while we sleep?

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
My friend did this with the guy she just adopted from our current fosters. It depends on the temperament of the kitten-Snow/Beau was pretty laid back so he did ok with just toys and when they get comfy with each other they'll play 'paws under the door'. A needier cat might have issues with it though.

Took our poor lil guys to see the vet tech at the shelter and apparently they've got herpes or chlamydia. More antibiotics and eye cream, oh joy.

tortueperdue
Sep 3, 2007
Apparently, I can't leave this blank.

cremnob posted:

Have you tried Feliway?

I wonder if it will work. He doesn't seem to respond to cat nip. Does that make a difference?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tortueperdue posted:

Hi PI!

I have one who would groom her belly endlessly(probably itched from getting spayed or something). I had to cone my cat for a while, and also keep telling her to cut it out now and then and she grew out of it after 6 months to a year.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Karl Sharks posted:

- Name - Raven; Diego

Honestly it sounds like they're doing fine and you're being overly worried. (But feliway can help a stressed out cat, so if you have the money it's always a good idea.) They aren't going to best friends overnight, and some hissing and swatting is normal. If you can have both of them on the same piece of furniture with no angry-cat then you're doing great! Don't force them together, and don't put one in a carrier while the other one is outside because that just makes the one in the carrier feel trapped and afraid.

I'd keep supervising them for a while, but if Diego approaches Raven and gets growled/hissed/swatted at- that's ok. That's normal. What you need to watch for is if she decides to pin him and start biting. Or if he ever makes a high pitched squeak and she doesn't let him go right away (this is unmistakable, it's the kitty version of "Too rough!")

But yeah, two cats on the same couch not growling at each other means they are well on their way. Just keep your expectations realistic. Raven may never be best buddies with Diego, and they may never groom each other or sleep in a pile. But they sound like they're happy enough to co-exist and that's all you can ask of them.

And they might surprise you if you give it time. :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Nothing on my barfing cat? :(

tortueperdue posted:

I wonder if it will work. He doesn't seem to respond to cat nip. Does that make a difference?

They have nothing to do with each other so it shouldn't make a difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On the pill issue alone, can you give him the pill completely separate from feeding? That's usually what we do- cat burrito + piller to make sure it gets down the gullet.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

So, I have a question/concern about my two kittens. Both are about 9 to 9.5 weeks old. Oliver we've had for a little over a month, and Faye we brought home as week ago.

Until now, Oliver would eat like a little pig. He'd inhale his wet food and had no issues with eating dry food. In the time we've had him, he went from .6 pounds, to 1.6 pounds 2 weeks later, and then 2.4 pounds as of June 15th. We're concerned because in the past few days he has started to seem very skinny. His hips are very pronounced, and he seems to be much leaner in general, no more "kitten chub". Faye on the other hand has definitely put on weight since she has been in our care.

For reference, we're more or less free feeding them for the majority of the day - we both work, so no one is home during the day. We'll give them both dry food in the bowls in the morning that lasts them through the afternoon/early evening, when we'll give them some wet food mixed with dry food for dinner, and a little bit of dry food for the night.

We're concerned that Oliver isn't eating much, and certainly not with the same vigor as before. I don't know if this is because with Faye in the house, he is getting much more exercise, or if it's stress of a new cat, or if it's Faye bossing him around and chasing him away from the food. We've tried feeding them in separate places, and she will end up running off to try and eat Oliver's food, so we've put the food bowls close together, because it seems to keep Faye from wanting to eat Oliver's food - they eat the same dry food and/or wet food, so it's not like one is getting the "good stuff". Oliver does eat, but it just seems like he isn't eating as much now. When he was at the vet this past Friday getting his shots, he checked out just fine and got a clean bill of health. I'm going to drop by the vet's in the morning sometime this week to weight Oliver, and see if he has been gaining or losing any weight since Friday.

All this worrying about two little kittens makes us feel like bad hypochondriac kitty parents. Should we be worried about his change in eating habits and appearance?

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
My kitten seems to go through growth spurts. About about once a week he will eat a whole 5.5oz can of wet food in once sitting. I've just chalked it up to them being cats and being weird.

I would get a kitchen food scale. Usually you can get them for cheap at stores or on amazon. I use ours to weigh my kitten until he gets full grown. I just put a box on top of it and put him in the box. It's close enough to see if he is gaining or not for me and would prob be easier than dragging him into the vet all the time to be weighed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Dogen posted:

On the pill issue alone, can you give him the pill completely separate from feeding? That's usually what we do- cat burrito + piller to make sure it gets down the gullet.

Yeah that was the vet's suggestion too. Toby :argh: Luckily he's kind of easy to pill (doesn't attack, just tries to run away). I had my hands in his teeth today multiple times trying to get the pill down and he didn't bite me.