Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

I suggest a brick and stone viaduct direct from the bridge across the river to the station house. The line to Opiantic with loop under the bridge after passing thru the station and down town New Dublin. An additional bridge over the river is provided for traffic bypassing New Dublin station

Also I can play the low clearance game too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cuero...12,33.08,,0,1.9

Heres one that doesnt count because it doesnt exist anymore, but it was barely 6 ft.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cuero...=12,9.24,,0,2.5

Actually now that I think of it, 183 used to have an underpass on the northside of Cuero that was under 11 ft. Trucks used to have to take a 20 mile detour to get around it. I think 77A had a 12 ft bridge south of Halletsville. SP had a hard on for low clearance bridges in this area.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The NCL knew that this was coming for some time. The mainline running through New Dublin, while great business, was causing traffic jams and has effectively bisected the city. The railroad didn't want to have to deal with it, didn't want to risk killing the golden goose, and so nothing was done for the longest time.

And now, now that things have reached a breaking point, the NCL continues to drag its feet.

While private talks were conducted to see what would be the quickest, cheapest method of resolving the issue (raised road bridges over the mainline appears to be the most attractive method, although the resulting steep grades could disrupt tram service), the NCL instead focused on improvements made to the eastern side of the city:

Basically, a ring road is built and the mostly-abandoned railways are converted to tram-train use. Additionally, a couple road bridges are built (the northernmost may be dropped if the project runs over-budget), and a large park is built right in the center of the eastside.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Hedera Helix posted:

Basically, a ring road is built and the mostly-abandoned railways are converted to tram-train use.

Tram-trains? In the 19th century?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jonnty posted:

Tram-trains? In the 19th century?

Well if it's the same gauge, why not? And if it isn't, it's probably less work to move one of the existing rails that to lay entirely new track.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nielsm posted:

Well if it's the same gauge, why not? And if it isn't, it's probably less work to move one of the existing rails that to lay entirely new track.

Because generally this doesn't work at all in the time period. Difficult to harness horses to pull them together, difficult to run them on cable-hauled lines, and electric traction is in its infancy and its difficult to run two of them together.

The common thing to do was to just run more individual vehicles per hour.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

God dammit, I've stayed up past midnight playing urban planning dungeons and dragons again....

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

God dammit, I've stayed up past midnight playing urban planning dungeons and dragons again....

I perhaps wouldn't make the park quite that large but overall I like it.

Also, given the the closeness to sea level and the need to minimise elevations for train tracks wouldn't it be better to bridge the road rather than embank the rails? Well, or tunnel the road.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Guys, I'm going to get slammed by a hurricane in about a day, so I probably won't have power for a while. I'll try to update tonight with 1890, but preparations take first priority. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running around Thursday, but no promises!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cichlidae posted:

Guys, I'm going to get slammed by a hurricane in about a day, so I probably won't have power for a while. I'll try to update tonight with 1890, but preparations take first priority. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running around Thursday, but no promises!
Technically, it will just be an extratropical cyclone by the time it reaches you. :eng101:

Also, you're an engineer.... Why don't you have a smartphone? And a generator?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Technically, it will just be an extratropical cyclone by the time it reaches you. :eng101:

Also, you're an engineer.... Why don't you have a smartphone? And a generator?

I can't afford that poo poo; my current cell plan is $10/month. And I live in an apartment, so I couldn't use a generator even if I had one.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Speaking of the storm, are you anticipating Irene levels of damage? Are you taking precautions to prevent anything like that? The MTA is shutting down here.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

NightGyr posted:

Speaking of the storm, are you anticipating Irene levels of damage? Are you taking precautions to prevent anything like that? The MTA is shutting down here.

It's the weekend, so I'm not at all involved in the stuff going on at work. I have a friend in the Emergency Operations Center, and he works pretty much round-the-clock before and during storms like this. There is a lot of pre-storm work that goes on behind the scenes to try to minimize damage.

They check with the towns, make sure everyone's emergency preparedness is up to snuff, set up evacuation plans and manage the roads to keep things flowing, shore up construction debris, close down bridges and roads that are likely to flood, close bridges that will experience dangerous winds, check with the utilities to coordinate response (which will be tricky since such a wide area is being hit), and keep a very close eye on the weather.

It's a really stressful, full-time job, but you can make up to $7k in one paycheck.

-----

Any last additions or revisions to New Dublin, before I do the update?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Munin posted:

I perhaps wouldn't make the park quite that large but overall I like it.

Also, given the the closeness to sea level and the need to minimise elevations for train tracks wouldn't it be better to bridge the road rather than embank the rails? Well, or tunnel the road.

The idea is that the rails aren't changed and both new crossings are road overbridges. The west one will have steep approaches but with the east one, the roads that were already there can be built up to a height that allows a bridge over the railway.(with well graded approaches) Example here, although they used the natural ground to avoid massive eathworks.

As for the park, I have the benefit of looking far into the future. It would take a very far sighted coucillor or a generous local millionare to put a park that big in but you could bet that he would be a local legend forever!

That said, I've just found out that the Auckland domain was created in 1840.
At that stage the town was barely more than a bunch of hovels and whaler-frequented brothels!

Good luck surviving the hurricane Cichlidae. Makes me appreciate living in benign old NZ. For a traffic engineering question, which survives the winds better, Traffic lights on masts or wires? (we don't have wire ones over here.)

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Jaguars! posted:

Good luck surviving the hurricane Cichlidae. Makes me appreciate living in benign old NZ. For a traffic engineering question, which survives the winds better, Traffic lights on masts or wires? (we don't have wire ones over here.)

I'm no traffic engineer, but I'm gonna go with wires. The lights, signs, and the wire itself can swing in the wind, and is far less catastrophic if it falls.

If you ever visit the southeast US, almost every traffic signal anywhere near a coast is hung on wire.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kapinga posted:

I'm no traffic engineer, but I'm gonna go with wires. The lights, signs, and the wire itself can swing in the wind, and is far less catastrophic if it falls.

On the contrary, our mast arms are much beefier. But then again, Connecticut uses much bigger mast arms than the rest of the country. They can probably withstand a cat5 hurricane without any trouble.

-----

Let's see how New Dublin turned out.

Unfortunately, we couldn't afford all the improvements, so we cut some corners where possible. (This will be our unofficial motto for the rest of eternity)

Like I said, I may not be online much this week, if at all. Feel free to chat about railroads, current (1880-1890) scientific advances, and or just about anything else relevant, and I'll be back before you know it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

kapinga posted:

If you ever visit the southeast US, almost every traffic signal anywhere near a coast is hung on wire.
Depends on the state. In Florida, galvanized steel mast arms (either bare or painted) with underground wiring and back-lit LED road signs are mandatory on new traffic signal installs within 10 miles of the coast. Prior to that, signals had to be dual point strand (attached to two separate cables, with the signal wiring riding on the lower auxiliary cable).

The mast arm beasts used in coastal areas in Florida can handle up to 150 MPH winds. Lots of decorative mast arm, too. Here's one from Treasure Island (north of St. Petersburg Beach):

There are also some "chimeric" signals where designers managed to get around the law by only upgrading the new portion.

Anyway, here, have a study on the effects of hurricanes on traffic signals. Of note, Palm Beach County lost 90% of their dual strand signals during the 2004 hurricanes.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 29, 2012

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My university got built :) :) :)

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
I can't be the only person that immediately thought of this thread when I saw this: http://onion.com/RrRO6B

Also, best of luck to the folks in this thread that are dealing with Sandy right now. Hurricanes of this size are no fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Why might ODOT have chosen to do this with the signs for this particular road?

All the signs for this exit in both directions look the same, but this is the only place I've noticed this being done with the inverted box over the road name.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
A website about a rail bridge with low clearance:

https://www.11foot8.com

FAQ
http://11foot8.com/faq.html

Video of truck, after truck...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MCxSFgrnc

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Groda posted:

A website about a rail bridge with low clearance:

https://www.11foot8.com

FAQ
http://11foot8.com/faq.html

Video of truck, after truck...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MCxSFgrnc
This was posted on the last page. We didn't really talk about it too much because of these neckbeards and their game. It's really fascinating, I just miss the incessant sperging about freeways. Maybe we will hit peak thread when the game gets far enough along for freeways.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Wolfy posted:

This was posted on the last page. We didn't really talk about it too much because of these neckbeards and their game. It's really fascinating, I just miss the incessant sperging about freeways. Maybe we will hit peak thread when the game gets far enough along for freeways.

Hey, it's not like we can't do both. You got a freeway to sperg out over? I'll dump the biggest fuckin' :spergin: you've ever seen.

Somehow, I haven't lost power at all yet. Kind of bizarre to see everyone else in panic mode, and all we've got here are some downed trees and leaves stuck to everything. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Do you ever get to make fun signs like these?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=416480585085533&set=a.416480461752212.102782.128377530562508&type=1&theater

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How do you feel about http://www.theonion.com/articles/secretary-of-transportation-spends-3-hours-cleanin,30138/

:v:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nothing that interesting, but yeah, I definitely get to design signs. My most recent were some sub-plates for my roundabout project. It's really cool seeing your name on the sign detail, going out in the field, and seeing this creation of yours planted in the ground like an aluminum rose.

Hey, someone's got to do it, right? I'm pretty sure one of the guys from Highway Design spends a lot of his free time on that sort of thing. He comments on most of the news articles on roundabouts, and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he'd edited the roundabout article...

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Too cool to not post: Time Lapse video: Space shuttle Endeavour's trek across L.A.

A shuttle crossing occurs at about 1:51. It gets insanely close to some trees, poles, and houses.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

Hey, someone's got to do it, right? I'm pretty sure one of the guys from Highway Design spends a lot of his free time on that sort of thing. He comments on most of the news articles on roundabouts, and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he'd edited the roundabout article...
Talking about yourself in third person is unhealthy. We know about your undying love for roundabouts.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

Hey, it's not like we can't do both. You got a freeway to sperg out over? I'll dump the biggest fuckin' :spergin: you've ever seen.

I've been holding back a bit since my knowledge of both the time and the space are pretty limited but god drat am I going to go apeshit over the freeways as soon as they arrive.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Cichlidae posted:

Okay, I'll bite. I present to you, I-540 in NC, a too-be second ringroad around Raleigh.

About half-way done. More of an archroad. North of I40 opened a few years ago, and the southern section earlier this year as a toll road. Now, at first glance, our friend 540 looks like any other interstate spur, but something about it has been bugging me: north of I40 it's signed I-540, but south of it it's NC-540 -- a state highway.

Why might that be? As far as I'm aware they're built to the same standard. All that is different is that NC-540 is a toll road. I guess it may be a temporary thing until the whole thing links up... looking at NCDOT's page, they call NC-540 the Triangle Expressway, so maybe they're waiting until they start planning or building the final section before treating it as a single thing. But are there any legal or AASHTO regulatory reasons why not to sign it as I-540 all the way around?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

dupersaurus posted:

Okay, I'll bite. I present to you, I-540 in NC, a too-be second ringroad around Raleigh.

About half-way done. More of an archroad. North of I40 opened a few years ago, and the southern section earlier this year as a toll road. Now, at first glance, our friend 540 looks like any other interstate spur, but something about it has been bugging me: north of I40 it's signed I-540, but south of it it's NC-540 -- a state highway.

Why might that be? As far as I'm aware they're built to the same standard. All that is different is that NC-540 is a toll road. I guess it may be a temporary thing until the whole thing links up... looking at NCDOT's page, they call NC-540 the Triangle Expressway, so maybe they're waiting until they start planning or building the final section before treating it as a single thing. But are there any legal or AASHTO regulatory reasons why not to sign it as I-540 all the way around?

Perhaps not as thorough a treatment as you were hoping (I'm about to go to bed), but this is a common treatment. The fact that it has tolls tell you a lot - until relatively recently, toll roads were not eligible for federal funding. There is a strong precedent for freeways being signed as state routes until they're completed.

Heck, sometimes it gets weird; US 6 west of Providence used to be signed RI 195 (with an Interstate shield, but no Interstate designation) back when it was planned to be a freeway. A portion of what is now I-291 used to be CT 291. Since some states (RI and CT included) cannot have two routes the same number, even if one's an Interstate and the other is not, RI 195 and CT 291 had to be removed once the Interstates were designated.

The Feds would prefer to hold off on designating a route as an Interstate until it's complete. Why? It takes an act of Congress to get that label, and I don't think those guys want to see new bills every year to get a couple miles of I-### approved, one bit at a time.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The local rag had a short piece on the roundabouts in the area, saying the pedestrian crossings need to be revamped on the busiest two roundabouts in town because of the risk to pedestrians.

This is one of the roundabouts in question. As you can see they got rid of the east crossing because of poor visibility for southbound traffic, but it hasn't stopped people trying to cross there. There is a crossing in the middle of the block along Howick St but people who are walking along George St don't bother going an extra block to safely cross (as you can see in stree view). Among the usual crud in the comments on the article there was a suggestion from someone to run pedestrian crossings from the corner of each block to the roundabout. Has something like that ever been done before? Is it at all viable? How risky would it be for pedestrians/traffic?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ephphatha posted:

The local rag had a short piece on the roundabouts in the area, saying the pedestrian crossings need to be revamped on the busiest two roundabouts in town because of the risk to pedestrians.

This is one of the roundabouts in question. As you can see they got rid of the east crossing because of poor visibility for southbound traffic, but it hasn't stopped people trying to cross there. There is a crossing in the middle of the block along Howick St but people who are walking along George St don't bother going an extra block to safely cross (as you can see in stree view). Among the usual crud in the comments on the article there was a suggestion from someone to run pedestrian crossings from the corner of each block to the roundabout. Has something like that ever been done before? Is it at all viable? How risky would it be for pedestrians/traffic?

Those ped crossings are in the standard place... paint some shoulder lines on the approach, with narrow lanes, to slow traffic down. Make sure the crosswalk markings are kept in high quality. Put up ped crossing signs (required for all multi-lane approaches in the US). Definitely do NOT let them cross to the center island - that is a horrible idea, and will only lead to more fatalities.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Welcome to 1890!

Nutmeg continues to grow steadily - scientists tell us that, in the next decade, our population may even exceed 1 million!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFc3hSdzU0ckZfdVE

Our cities are growing bigger and bigger, spurred along by a recent wave of immigration. Port cities have experiences much growth, as well as cities with enough room to hold the shanties and row houses these slovenly folk will call home. New Dublin's College Hill has helped the city nearly double in size. Opiantic holds plenty of new citizens, as well, though the abandonment of one of its main railroad lines means the crime rate is skyrocketing... you know, more than it was before. Hartshire, Waterbridge, and Fairport have also profited from their insightful infrastructure improvements.

The labor movement is growing stronger and stronger. Thankfully, we have plenty of guns to shoot all those horrible striking child laborers and quarrymen. Furthermore, the influx of cheap immigrant labor means that breaking strikes is easy!

Another new beast has made itself known in Nutmeg: the automobile. These dirty, loud horseless carriages, while rare, are frightening horses statewide. Orangewich's barons, in particular, seem to have an affinity for the infernal contraptions. Pray they do not catch on.

As is immediately apparent on viewing the map, several things have happened. First, and perhaps most troublingly, a large dam has walled back a new lake upstream of Norham. While its constructors assure us that it is perfectly safe - the engineer came up with the design whilst on a particularly strong dose of Opiantic's Miracle Laudanum and communed with the Lord himself - the citizens have their doubts.

There are two new cities, as well:
Manbury, in the east, contains an oil refinery; petroleum products are more and more in vogue these days. You know, they can only go up, up... naw, it'll never catch on.
Nederfield, south of Summerfield, is an old colony that saw some very slow growth before finally growing up enough to show up on the map. Nothing special here, really.

In 1890, you may:
- Build more railroads (if you REALLY want to)
- Build more turnpikes
- Choose to perform urban renewal on one (1) city of your collective choice

1890 is the last decade in this century! The Nutmeg government is growing stronger, and many analysts say that it will soon consolidate its DOT and map out numbered routes across the state. Best to build any missing links now!

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
The power was restored in my area not that long ago, so I haven't caught up yet on all the news reports. Did the storm cause any major damage to the state's transportation infrastructure?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Manbury doesn't have a good connection to the coast, I propose building the final edge of a wye between Waterbridge/Nogahyde/Manbury.

And I think we should take another look at Hartshire.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

The power was restored in my area not that long ago, so I haven't caught up yet on all the news reports. Did the storm cause any major damage to the state's transportation infrastructure?

The damage in Connecticut doesn't seem as bad as we expected, since the storm turned toward the west. Lots of trees down, some coastal houses smashed, but I haven't seen anything that can't be fixed quickly.

nielsm posted:

Manbury doesn't have a good connection to the coast, I propose building the final edge of a wye between Waterbridge/Nogahyde/Manbury.

And I think we should take another look at Hartshire.

Sure, do you want to draw the railroad in, or should I just wing it?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

- Build more railroads (if you REALLY want to)

I'll probably regret it but if I could (the current owner doesn't object) I'd like to buy up the Hartshire-Mutnap line and rights to the railbanked section in order to bring it back into operation. I would the shut down part of the operating section to make the line divert towards W. Hartshire to provide it with a rail service.

I would then also set up a town and resort with rail and road access here:

With the fresh clean air for healthful sanatoria, nature and mountains at the ready for bracing walks and exercise for the more active visitor.

Cichlidae posted:

- Choose to perform urban renewal on one (1) city of your collective choice

I vote for Middleport-Meridian. That way we will have had a look at all the major conurbations before moving on to the new century.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Munin posted:

I vote for Middleport-Meridian. That way we will have had a look at all the major conurbations before moving on to the new century.

Seconded.

Will the updates keep to their current 10-year intervals? Because if so, there could already be a parkway movement coming along shortly :ohdear:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Munin posted:

I'll probably regret it but if I could (the current owner doesn't object) I'd like to buy up the Hartshire-Mutnap line and rights to the railbanked section in order to bring it back into operation. I would the shut down part of the operating section to make the line divert towards W. Hartshire to provide it with a rail service.

I would then also set up a town and resort with rail and road access here:

With the fresh clean air for healthful sanatoria, nature and mountains at the ready for bracing walks and exercise for the more active visitor.

If the current owner doesn't object by tomorrow, I'll put that in for ya.

Koesj posted:

Seconded.

Will the updates keep to their current 10-year intervals? Because if so, there could already be a parkway movement coming along shortly :ohdear:

Yeah, I'll probably stick with 10-year intervals until 1950, and 5-year thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I want to see one of the big cities as a massive untouched clusterfuck to fix in 1960, so I'm going to vote for Bridgefield

Turn the abandoned rail from Colhampton to Lake Oliver into a turnpike.

Traffic Engineering :allears:

Here