Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Beardless posted:

If you're serious, pm me. What do you have/would be interested in selling off?

A whole shitload of Soviets. A full infantry army and tank army.

I'll snap some pics and send 'em to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ronin is a really cool game and is totally worth the very cheap price for the books.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

My friends have similar experiences, everything from just weeks to several months late. At least you got yourself something to paint while waiting! :)

I got the Italian Wars book for Field of Glory today, tomorrow we will sot down and plan which forces to build. Exciting!

Yeah they are having a backup do to the sale and moving? I think. They do take longer to ship to UK/Europe as I've seen on them social networks. Lots of time in the US you get stuff three days after order.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Unfortunately, Soviets are the army I'm least interested in. :downsgun: Sorry to lead you on or whatever.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I however AM interested in Soviets!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

muggins posted:

Yeah they are having a backup do to the sale and moving? I think. They do take longer to ship to UK/Europe as I've seen on them social networks. Lots of time in the US you get stuff three days after order.

Just an update, my BTD Brits have apparently shipped. And I got my Warlord Games Brits in the mail on the 3rd. So I've been celebrating America's independence from Britain by painting up a load of Tommies.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

It was a great way to get me interested in historical gaming, but I don't miss playing it.

I wonder if I could sell off my armies....

Battlegroup is a good 15mm scale game. Played a couple of demo games last weekend, I loved how fluid it all felt.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 6, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Battlegroup is dirt cheap to get into too. There are a few fiddly rules shenanigans but you can work around them. Mostly it's just silly stuff like tracking tank ammo.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Arquinsiel posted:

Battlegroup is dirt cheap to get into too. There are a few fiddly rules shenanigans but you can work around them. Mostly it's just silly stuff like tracking tank ammo.

Plastic Soldier Company, $50 to get a decent army together.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SquadronROE posted:

Battlegroup is a good 15mm scale game. Played a couple of demo games last weekend, I loved how fluid it all felt.

Is there anywhere I can look up a good summary of the rules? I wouldn't mind finding another game to scratch my WW2 itch, I'd just prefer to be able to use all the models I already have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
There's a PDF pretty cheaply available, but basically it's IGOUGO with a vague emphasis on morale via suppression fire being awesome and removing pinning possibly causing bad stuff to happen. It's hard to explain TBH as it didn't really feel like there was game happening when I played it once, I just told mans to do stuff and The Plan worked.

SquadronROE posted:

Plastic Soldier Company, $50 to get a decent army together.
Well I more meant just buying the rulebook for a tenner and getting the relevant armylist book for whatever, but that works too.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Rich Nazi gets caught red handed planing an armored assault on small German town.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 7, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I listened to a Meeples & Miniatures interview with Warwick Kinrade, and he's one of my favorite designers now. He's like this rogue Noel Fielding character that counts toy tanks' remaining shell loadouts, and experiences true joy incorporating support vehicles and logistics chains.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Holy poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ur-4vc5Gwk

Wings of War in ePawn Arena, basically automated movement, &c.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Is a man not entitled to his own tank?!

Who are the *real* nazis, here?

I think my favorite part is he used it to plow snow. If I were a Russian, I might be surprised it works for that. lol! Tragedy plus time!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It doesn't sound like he was actually planning on using it for anything, just being a creepy weirdo with a cache of weapons. That said, I seriously hope that stuff gets to a museum or something rather than just getting scrapped; I seem to remember there's not many surviving examples of Panthers, right? Especially not ones that still run.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

It doesn't sound like he was actually planning on using it for anything, just being a creepy weirdo with a cache of weapons. That said, I seriously hope that stuff gets to a museum or something rather than just getting scrapped; I seem to remember there's not many surviving examples of Panthers, right? Especially not ones that still run.

I think Tigers are the big deal, with just one fully working tank left. There are a few Panthers that still work, but not a lot. So yeah, it'll probably be given to a museum hopefully, it looked way better than most on this list:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panthers.pdf

E: haha, yes! Grognards are the best, that pdf is already updated with the tank in question. Page 10.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 7, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Aww man... Creepy weirdo? I'd be fairly stoked to have some odds and ends from the US military industrial complex in my shed or whatever. Remember that movie 'tank' about the guy who rescued his son in his surplus Sherman that he had for some reason?

I mean. The torpedo is a little weird. Because you can't really have 'fun' with a torpedo. But the tank and the flak cannon? I wonder if he shot starshells off at christmas or something.

I suppose the weird part is not donating it to a museum.

Still. Tanks are neat. I don't think you have to justify having a tank. If a Czech or a Pole had a surplus Panzer hanging around, wouldn't we all just be like 'hey, cool--you wacky eastern europeans sure do know how to party!'

Plus, he's 78. I think the time to put an end to the potential danger is long passed. It sounds like a shakedown from the looking-for-art bureaucrats.

Kind of lovely. Fun that stuff like that is still floating around, though. And military surplus collectors are always a little 'out there'.

Honestly, they're almost as bad as historical wargamers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Aww man... Creepy weirdo? I'd be fairly stoked to have some odds and ends from the US military industrial complex in my shed or whatever. Remember that movie 'tank' about the guy who rescued his son in his surplus Sherman that he had for some reason?

I mean. The torpedo is a little weird. Because you can't really have 'fun' with a torpedo. But the tank and the flak cannon? I wonder if he shot starshells off at christmas or something.

I suppose the weird part is not donating it to a museum.

Still. Tanks are neat. I don't think you have to justify having a tank. If a Czech or a Pole had a surplus Panzer hanging around, wouldn't we all just be like 'hey, cool--you wacky eastern europeans sure do know how to party!'

Plus, he's 78. I think the time to put an end to the potential danger is long passed. It sounds like a shakedown from the looking-for-art bureaucrats.

Kind of lovely. Fun that stuff like that is still floating around, though. And military surplus collectors are always a little 'out there'.

Honestly, they're almost as bad as historical wargamers.

Someone sold a T-34 in Sweden a while ago, it had starred in various WW2 movies and needed a home. I was sorely tempted. This site has some nice vehicles sometimes, but nothing amazing right now:
http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/Tanks_Trucks_Jeeps_for_sale_page.html

That is, since the Daimler Ferret scout car is sold. *sigh*

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I was under the impression he was under investigation for black market deals involving Nazi stuff, hence the confiscations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I think one of the German articles mentioned him showing up to a deal wearing a swastika pendant of some sort. So yeah, creepy weirdo sounds like it's being generous to the guy.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
If any historigoons are going to gencon I'll be there demoing Bolt Action. Come up for a demo and I'll hook you up :)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

If any historigoons are going to gencon I'll be there demoing Bolt Action. Come up for a demo and I'll hook you up :)

Alright, but only if they change the rules for Shermans to be less dumb. <:mad:>

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

muggins posted:

Can I still kill tanks by shooting them with machine guns until the just get pinned to death?

Will you have actual rules on how to conduct overwatch fire?

I'm somewhat interested in the game and bought the rule book years ago but gave it up in frustration when I realized that the writers just didn't bother to finish the rules and left parts of the book unfinished rather than do the hard work of actually writing out a complete rule set. I play FoW and like it quite a bit, I like the idea of Bolt Action but the rule book turned me off and I'm yet to play the game. I will actually be at Gencon.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Try Chain of Command if Bolt Action left you cold. It's great

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yeah Chain of Command is awesome, and scratches a more "serious" itch than BA. Haven't played it enough to know if the rules are polished, but they seem really cool and I'm glad my BA models can be used for both systems.

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

Conan the Librarian posted:

Can I still kill tanks by shooting them with machine guns until the just get pinned to death?

I'm somewhat interested in the game and bought the rule book years ago but gave it up in frustration when I realized that the writers just didn't bother to finish the rules and left parts of the book unfinished rather than do the hard work of actually writing out a complete rule set. I play FoW and like it quite a bit, I like the idea of Bolt Action but the rule book turned me off and I'm yet to play the game. I will actually be at Gencon.

The Bolt Action.net season 2 rules changes fix a lot of the weird stuff in the rulebook. Makes it a lot more balanced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qPaKsZK_89TVJ4MHFEM0kxeDk5N0laVl9UVzFnNDlnR2Nj/edit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Conan the Librarian posted:

Nthing Chain of Command, we are about to start our second major campaign, and it's both flexible and streamlined. It has a few small flaws like any game, but you need a mininum of house rules to make it suit however you want to play.

My review of it is simply that I went from not knowing/caring about WW2 tactics, to currently collecting my second German company after being introduced to CoC. In 28mm. It's good.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 8, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Well dang guys, didn't think I'd get :agesilaus: like that :( I'll talk a bit about Bolt Action for a sec, address the specific questions, then my thought on CoC.

At its heart, BA is WW2 arcade (similar to FoW, in my opinion) that attempts to bring over people from stuff like 40k. It is more like a WW2 movie than a historical simulation. It has some really awesome mechanics to it that make it a lot more fun than 40k - pinning, semi-alternating activation, morale matters, etc.

quote:

Alright, but only if they change the rules for Shermans to be less dumb. <>
Shermans are pretty good, and I hope they tone them down a bit in V2 whenever that happens. They're not like, killdozers driving around the board removing everything, but they're better than a PZIV and thats kinda disappointing.

quote:

You can shoot HMGs (most armies don't bring any to the field) and do one pin to a tank if it is inexperienced, have a 50% chance of doing a pin to it if it is regular, and zero pins if it is a vet. You can't really pin them to death as most tanks are going to need to be pinned 9 times from an HMG like that and a game only lasts six or seven turns. It is true, an HMG can add a pin to a tank that has taken pins from AT guns, fausts, etc. It is abstracting the idea that a tank crew is getting hit by larger rounds than just rifle bullets and doesn't know what is happening (while a vet crew does).

quote:

I am just a volunteer for the game (like PP's press gangers) so I don't write the rules, but there are overwatch rules in the game. Set a squad on ambush, they can shoot when something moves in their LOS and range. Or you can shoot at squads that charge you if you haven't activated. I'm not sure if that meets your criteria for actual overwatch.

quote:

That's great, I'd be happy to show you the game. I disagree that the rules are left unfinished - it is a complete game with all phases represented. If you're coming from FoW, you can now have armored platoons as well if you're interested in that. I am not sure how much of 'unfinished' just means 'different' but I'd be happy to show you a demo. I love FoW (I played it for a few years) but it was harder to get bros in at 15mm and never touching the Pacific etc. kinda sucked.

Re: Chain of Command - it uses the same model scale, basing, terrain, etc etc as Bolt Action, so there is no reason you can't play both. I have the rulebook and I've started reading it. I'd like to give it a shot, although the command dice mechanic really turned me off, to be honest. I realize and totally respect the idea of simulating a fog of war where the command communication breaks down etc but I'd have a hard time getting any of my mainstream friends to play with that type of thing. I respect TFL a ton, having listened to them on M&M podcast and purchased quite a few of their rulesets, I just don't know if they're 'big box' enough for me to get my friends playing - a lot of their wording and phrases and stuff are super british and my buddies won't understand or think its silly.

quote:

The Bolt Action.net season 2 rules changes fix a lot of the weird stuff in the rulebook. Makes it a lot more balanced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9...FnNDlnR2Nj/edit

Yeah the BA.net season 2 is pretty amazing :) I didn't want to start a rules battle or anything, just if you're at GenCon I'll be at the booth and showing stuff off, this thread has always seemed pretty cool so wanted to chat. Warlord Games is doing a ton of sweet stuff right now.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Re: Chain of Command - it uses the same model scale, basing, terrain, etc etc as Bolt Action, so there is no reason you can't play both. I have the rulebook and I've started reading it. I'd like to give it a shot, although the command dice mechanic really turned me off, to be honest. I realize and totally respect the idea of simulating a fog of war where the command communication breaks down etc but I'd have a hard time getting any of my mainstream friends to play with that type of thing. I respect TFL a ton, having listened to them on M&M podcast and purchased quite a few of their rulesets, I just don't know if they're 'big box' enough for me to get my friends playing - a lot of their wording and phrases and stuff are super british and my buddies won't understand or think its silly.

Yeah the BA.net season 2 is pretty amazing :) I didn't want to start a rules battle or anything, just if you're at GenCon I'll be at the booth and showing stuff off, this thread has always seemed pretty cool so wanted to chat. Warlord Games is doing a ton of sweet stuff right now.

I think this is a valid point, CoC is a tad more "different" from 40K for example, so I don't see a problem with using BA an entry point for WW2 games. As you say, you can use the same miniatures, so there's no problem with mixing them. The guys one town away even play CoC with 15mm, since they are veteran FoW players, and it works great as well. You can always start with either game, and try the other one (or even Blitzkrieg Commander) if you start to get bored with the other ruleset.

My personal opinion is that the command dice mechanic is good. But after having three games ruined after lucky tripple rounds (either winning or losing), we agreed at the club to limit the extra rounds to one at a time. So, if you roll double or tripple sixes on your extra turn, those dice are "lost". We're testing if this lost third turn can be rewarded as a chain of command dice (a "5") instead. It made extra rounds good, but not good enough to swing an entire game. Except that little issue I like the system, it also means that you can vary how forces work a lot by which kind of leaders they can bring on board, teams can be nerfed or boosted depending on if they have junior leaders, and national characteristics rules, without units having different "stats". I like that a lot.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Nothing wrong with BA at all. I'm primarily invested in "historicals light" (FoW, BA) in spite of being a huge military history nerd manchild. I just like to have fun with my little historical mans and do pfffrlltt pffrrrltt noises when I fire an MG42, so BA is fine for my needs to mash plastic dollies together. Some people like the spergier rules and that's fine too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

Nothing wrong with BA at all. I'm primarily invested in "historicals light" (FoW, BA) in spite of being a huge military history nerd manchild. I just like to have fun with my little historical mans and do pfffrlltt pffrrrltt noises when I fire an MG42, so BA is fine for my needs to mash plastic dollies together. Some people like the spergier rules and that's fine too.

That said, I don't think that CoC is very "spergy" or more complicated, it just means that you need to think differently (and IMHO, a little more similar to how manuals and soldiers in WW2 described it). We're not talking Advanced Squad Leader here.

What I like is that a platoon is made up like a platoon would be, so there's no list building. You just.... field a rifle platoon, if you are playing a rifle platoon. To me it's very liberating to not have to do a lot of list building, especially when I started out.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

That said, I don't think that CoC is very "spergy" or more complicated, it just means that you need to think differently (and IMHO, a little more similar to how manuals and soldiers in WW2 described it). We're not talking Advanced Squad Leader here.

What I like is that a platoon is made up like a platoon would be, so there's no list building. You just.... field a rifle platoon, if you are playing a rifle platoon. To me it's very liberating to not have to do a lot of list building, especially when I started out.

I think you might like this new game, Age of Sigmar

Just kidding - I do agree that CoC is definitely focused on how the manuals said you should fight, etc. It is a little more daunting with the way teams work, detached weapons, etc.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Well, it's just one way of putting it I guess. It's a little less streamlined than the big mainstream games. My point was that there's nothing wrong with just playing the more abstract "silly" games, compared to the more realistic (I guess a little less insulting term than "spergy") rulesets.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
CoC inspired me to add a couple of extra rules to BA when I play.

1. The advance order can be a move and then flip to "down", representing a careful tactical bound, also helps keep you alive in the open. If you are ambushed while doing this order you go down where you are shot at.

2. Off-board officers contribute their morale modifiers to units testing to come on from reserve or outflank, representing the officer coordinating movements.

E: find a way to incorporate CoCs patrol phase and ambush mechanism into BA and you'd have my perfect game

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 9, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

Shermans are pretty good, and I hope they tone them down a bit in V2 whenever that happens. They're not like, killdozers driving around the board removing everything, but they're better than a PZIV and thats kinda disappointing.

I was mostly kidding, but it is a pet peeve of mine when games present historical myths such as the Sherman being uniquely vulnerable to fire as fact. I'll definitely try to swing by the BA stuff at GenCon when I'm there, though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Crossposting from the painting thread, here's a Black Tree Design German and two plastic Brits from Warlord Games that I did up recently.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread, here's a Black Tree Design German and two plastic Brits from Warlord Games that I did up recently.

Nice. Here's some more crossposting, from the model kit thread:

lilljonas posted:

I painted up a tiny Kübelwagen to go with my Pz. Kpfw. 38(t):

I think I fudged up the weathering powder part, I feel like I always either over-do it or don't do it enough. I really should pick up one of those pro modeling books that were posted before.

The driver got green stuff sleeves, since he came in Afrika Korps uniform, and he's going to be fighting on the Eastern Front in 1941.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
E: I'm a retard, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Nice. Here's some more crossposting, from the model kit thread:

Very nice work there indeed! :)