Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Thoguh posted:

If we're bitching. Most of the guys in my BJJ club won't do stand up with me but that's because they're big pansies who are afraid of getting thrown by a Judo guy. So I do sad, lonely uchikomi after practice with my belt and a post.

I tried explaining that I'm way less likely to hurt them in standup than anybody else in the club, but they aren't buying it. I don't worry about this being a me problem because I've never done standup with any of them since joining, they are basing it off their assumptions, not anything I've done. A couple guys hurt their knees doing standup recently (at practices I wasn't at) so that doesn't help.

i live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere australia and i'd kill to be able to do some standup with a really good judo guy at bjj. loving wasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
any opinions on gracie university?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ICHIBAHN posted:

any opinions on gracie university?

its been discussed earlier in this thread before if you have search or wanna dig through it or w/e

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

...I don't feel very welcome but it’s the only place in the area with a competitive reputation so I dunno what to do.

So there are other options? Are you that serious about competition that you're willing to put up with all that nonsense?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

can vouch for rob moffatt in fusion fight and fitness in cairns. i've trained there when in the area and he's a cool, knowledgeable dude who'd be pretty loving thrilled to have someone of your experience train there

Thanks; I'm only gonna be in Cairns for a day and a half and most of that is gonna be taken up with a Great Barrier Reef tour, but I'll see if dropping in there would work out.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Integrated MMA is near Brisbane

BlindSite posted:

Real Fitness on the northside (Jason Miller is the coach there)
Kelvin Grove BJJ - Eduardo Dias is a good instructor over at Kelvin Grove
Phoenix elite MMA in the city (John Walkin was my first coach)

Where in Brisbane you heading I can probably point you somewhere close that's easy to get to. Public transport is pretty poo poo.

I'm staying right by the Botanical Gardens.

Dr. Miracle posted:

VT-1 in Sydney.

Thanks, but I found two places within walking distance of my hotel -

http://jiujitsukingdom.com/
http://www.martial-arts-sydney.com/

and VT-1 looks like it involves two bus transfers, so I'll probably give it a miss.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I’ve been feeling super frustrated about BJJ, I don't feel very welcome but it’s the only place in the area with a competitive reputation so I dunno what to do. I guess I just want to get some stuff off my chest, sorry in advance for the huge rant but I just need an outlet. I go out of my way to be respectful at class so I just don't have anywhere else to talk about this stuff

- During warm ups at my first class, a bigger guy who was a regular there stood up in my closed guard, stacked me onto my neck and then jump-sprawled into a can opener that literally folded me in half and left me seriously injured.
- When I came back, I stood up in a blue belt instructor's guard but instead of opening they just kept climbing their legs to hang on for a couple minutes while I patiently defended until they had pulled my pants all the way down, and then when I left an opening by reaching down to catch the falling pants they fist-in-throat ezekial choked me and gloated about it.
- I had to put down a few hundred bucks to go to a tournament a couple states away with the rest of the team, but my coach (a purple belt and former college linebacker who busted a guy’s neck with a careless throw at the same tournament) didn’t even bother to have anyone cornering me after the first round. I still took second in the gi division, only losing to my sandbagging 25lb+ teammate who I didn't want to fight.
- I got DQ’d in the first round of the nogi division, the ref didn’t know the difference between 1leg x guard and reaping the knee (no one tapped, my opponent even supported me when I respectfully said afterwards that no knee reaping had occurred), but I had no one in my corner to back me up.
- After the tournament, one of the other students who had been visiting from NY came by to congratulate me, saying “You really proved yourself out there! You wouldn’t believe all the poo poo they talk about you, you really showed ‘em! They’re always saying poo poo about how they catch you with stuff in practice, can't talk now can they?” I've heard them talk poo poo about him too but I didn't say anything. He took first in his divisions in both gi and nogi.
- At the promotion ceremony the next day our black belt affiliate chose to keep me at white belt after promoting some other less-experienced people to blue, saying, “I hear you’re good, but you need to lay off the Eddie Bravo stuff” and when I looked confused my coach leaned in and corrected, “Marcelo Garcia stuff” and the (Alliance) affiliate looked surprised and said, “Oh, well that should be fine of course.” (I’d been training daily, sometimes 2x/day, with these guys, brown belt in Judo- not exactly a newbie)
- Offered to show some Judo stuff at the Sunday open mat that's usually pretty quiet, coach said, “Well I’d really like to make sure you can make that stuff work yourself before you teach it.” Now a less experienced (but bigger) former Judoka is teaching throws that day

That sounds like a loving awful place to train, dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Thanks; I'm only gonna be in Cairns for a day and a half and most of that is gonna be taken up with a Great Barrier Reef tour, but I'll see if dropping in there would work out.

and VT-1 looks like it involves two bus transfers, so I'll probably give it a miss.
Phoenix elite is about 3.5km away, from where you're staying they do monday, wednesday, friday and saturday.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

if you're in townsville for any reason hit me up and we'll go for a beer. but seriously, don't come here. have a good trip!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yuriy posted:

its been discussed earlier in this thread before if you have search or wanna dig through it or w/e
ah
i must have missed that. really impressed by their site and sales pitch. might sign up for a month, to use it as a resource

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I’ve been feeling super frustrated about BJJ, I don't feel very welcome but it’s the only place in the area with a competitive reputation so I dunno what to do. I guess I just want to get some stuff off my chest, sorry in advance for the huge rant but I just need an outlet. I go out of my way to be respectful at class so I just don't have anywhere else to talk about this stuff

- During warm ups at my first class, a bigger guy who was a regular there stood up in my closed guard, stacked me onto my neck and then jump-sprawled into a can opener that literally folded me in half and left me seriously injured.
- When I came back, I stood up in a blue belt instructor's guard but instead of opening they just kept climbing their legs to hang on for a couple minutes while I patiently defended until they had pulled my pants all the way down, and then when I left an opening by reaching down to catch the falling pants they fist-in-throat ezekial choked me and gloated about it.
- I had to put down a few hundred bucks to go to a tournament a couple states away with the rest of the team, but my coach (a purple belt and former college linebacker who busted a guy’s neck with a careless throw at the same tournament) didn’t even bother to have anyone cornering me after the first round. I still took second in the gi division, only losing to my sandbagging 25lb+ teammate who I didn't want to fight.
- I got DQ’d in the first round of the nogi division, the ref didn’t know the difference between 1leg x guard and reaping the knee (no one tapped, my opponent even supported me when I respectfully said afterwards that no knee reaping had occurred), but I had no one in my corner to back me up.
- After the tournament, one of the other students who had been visiting from NY came by to congratulate me, saying “You really proved yourself out there! You wouldn’t believe all the poo poo they talk about you, you really showed ‘em! They’re always saying poo poo about how they catch you with stuff in practice, can't talk now can they?” I've heard them talk poo poo about him too but I didn't say anything. He took first in his divisions in both gi and nogi.
- At the promotion ceremony the next day our black belt affiliate chose to keep me at white belt after promoting some other less-experienced people to blue, saying, “I hear you’re good, but you need to lay off the Eddie Bravo stuff” and when I looked confused my coach leaned in and corrected, “Marcelo Garcia stuff” and the (Alliance) affiliate looked surprised and said, “Oh, well that should be fine of course.” (I’d been training daily, sometimes 2x/day, with these guys, brown belt in Judo- not exactly a newbie)
- Offered to show some Judo stuff at the Sunday open mat that's usually pretty quiet, coach said, “Well I’d really like to make sure you can make that stuff work yourself before you teach it.” Now a less experienced (but bigger) former Judoka is teaching throws that day

Don't train there anymore, that place sounds terrible.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Yep, just like everyone else said, leave. Everyone at my gym is super supportive, and everyone I've ever asked to be in my corner has been there. No poo poo-talking either. There are one or two "that guys," but none of them ever last.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

If we're bitching. Most of the guys in my BJJ club won't do stand up with me but that's because they're big pansies who are afraid of getting thrown by a Judo guy. So I do sad, lonely uchikomi after practice with my belt and a post.

I tried explaining that I'm way less likely to hurt them in standup than anybody else in the club, but they aren't buying it. I don't worry about this being a me problem because I've never done standup with any of them since joining, they are basing it off their assumptions, not anything I've done. A couple guys hurt their knees doing standup recently (at practices I wasn't at) so that doesn't help.

Joining the bitchin' train.

I really wish my sensei's son would stop getting upset all the time when we are sparring. He is a Brown Belt but he keeps getting mad every time when I get him with something in randori that he didn't expect or read properly. He always mumbles that he shouldn't be losing to a lower belt (I'm a Orange Belt), loses focus, and then tries to hulk it out until gassing out. This is if he doesn't stop in the middle to ask his Dad to watch him put me into a hold down to only have it reversed 9/10 times. Yet my Sensei keeps pairing him with me since we are close to in weight class when he decides to come.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Maybe your Sensei hates his son.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Or, more generously, maybe he's hoping you'll knock some of the ego out of him.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
two hours of no gi tonight. some drills but about 90 minutes of rolling. God I love this poo poo. third time doing no gi & I'm hooked

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCMdSbczI-e2Qmeq7B0nJurg

Grabble Grabble - World Pro JiuJits in Abu Dhabi is on.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Taratang posted:

Or, more generously, maybe he's hoping you'll knock some of the ego out of him.

I am hoping to do that, but he is still in high school with some angst issues. He will listen that class but he will just forget it by the next class, go back into the same old habits and I just make him tap out for the same mistakes.

Then again, he thinks his Adidas GI makes him invincible. I'll knock the ego out then.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/free-live-stream-abu-dhabi-world-professional-jiu-jitsu-championship-23-25-april/

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

USA Wrestling just released this year's US Seniors Rankings:

Greco Roman

Women's Freestyle

Men's Freestyle

Men's FS 65 and 74 kG are STACKED.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sounds like Ryan Hall signed up for TUF - I haven't really followed his MMA career but it would be pretty cool to see him break dancing on TUF guys while blinking non-stop

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

origami posted:

Sounds like Ryan Hall signed up for TUF - I haven't really followed his MMA career but it would be pretty cool to see him break dancing on TUF guys while blinking non-stop

Looks like I'll have to start watching TUF.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He's trying out so he's not in just yet

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At one point he was saying that finding fights is hard because, due to his bjj record, he gets turned down for fights with guys about his experience in MMA, whom he would like to fight but there are plenty of more experienced unknown fighters who would like to beat him. TUF could be a decent avenue I guess.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It'd be cool to have somebody on TUF who can be funny without acting like an idiot, and the little cutaway interview bits would probably be insightful instead of infuriating for a change.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't imagine him not getting through, he's fought MMA in the past and has a good enough record. They should just put him in and not bother making him try out.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbcdXnmHYs&feature=youtu.be

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

BlindSite posted:

They should just put him in and not bother making him try out.
Even the guys that already have a hand-shake deal for a spot (which is everyone at 170) are going out to tryouts according to my sketchy 4th hand sources.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Hector Lombard announced that he has been invited to ADCC World Championships

Edit:: i guess they still use paint for posters.

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 28, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good fight. good promo.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
wagnney fabiano teaches at a school around the corner from my house. does anyone know where i can get mackens semerzier brand rash guard

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm jumping the gun on this because I have a medical condition some of you might recall I got diagnosed with last year (Type One Chiari Malformation, if you're curious) but I'm moving to Nashville soon. It's my hometown and where I used to do a tiny bit of training loving years ago but I have no idea what their BJJ scene looks like. If I ever get medically cleared, does anyone know of good gyms in that area?

Also, if I get perma-banned from BJJ (I should have an expert neurosurgeon tell me in July) any idea of a combat-ish sport I can do that will keep me in shape that doesn't involve straining the neck? Maybe I should just go back to fencing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I'm jumping the gun on this because I have a medical condition some of you might recall I got diagnosed with last year (Type One Chiari Malformation, if you're curious) but I'm moving to Nashville soon. It's my hometown and where I used to do a tiny bit of training loving years ago but I have no idea what their BJJ scene looks like. If I ever get medically cleared, does anyone know of good gyms in that area?

Also, if I get perma-banned from BJJ (I should have an expert neurosurgeon tell me in July) any idea of a combat-ish sport I can do that will keep me in shape that doesn't involve straining the neck? Maybe I should just go back to fencing.

You could move to something that's low-contact like Capoeira, assuming that just stabilizing your head during spins and such isn't too much strain. A points-oriented style of Karate wouldn't be out of the question. You can pretend you're a young Machida.

If you've done fencing before and know it didn't give you problems, that sounds like a brilliant idea to go back to it if you loved doing it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fencing is probably your best bet. No grappling is going to not strain your neck, and I don't think anything allowing strikes to the head is a good idea if you got brain issues.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Keg posted:

My roommate and I wanna drill BJJ poo poo in our garage and need some cheapish mats. Are puzzle mats from Wal-Mart going to be thick enough for rolling? Doubtful we'll do much, if any, takedown stuff on them.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

There fine to roll on, you wouldn't want to do takedowns though. Me and my body got some cheap ones from sports authority and put them on his (concrete) porch, and we were fine to roll.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

just make sure to clean them thoroughly, staph is a motherfucker

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Puzzle mats will be fine for just rolling.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm a retard because I've done takedowns off 2 layers of puzzle mats. Haven't injured myself or anyone else yet, but nobody knows any Judo so we're just double/single legging.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Dangersim posted:

There fine to roll on, you wouldn't want to do takedowns though. Me and my body got some cheap ones from sports authority and put them on his (concrete) porch, and we were fine to roll.

This. A single layer of puzzle mat is good enough to roll on. You really don't need much if you do grappling starting from the knees. But I wouldn't do any stand-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
we use them at Gracie Barra. they're fine for drilling and rolling on but I've stubbed my ties a few times (I'm clumsy). we do some self defense throws every class and they're fine to land on. not a lot of give & I wouldn't want to throw myself on them for an hour but they're ok for a little bit.