Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I know they made Twin Dragon Lash weaker but it's nerfed more than I thought. If it wasn't easy getting the strongest whip in the game so early, I would easily ignore whips for Jessica.

I'd like her spells to be a bit stronger though. Early snakeskin whip still does more damage than Bang, and it's not until Crackle where he spells do above 15 damage.

Moltrey posted:

I've been trying to break myself off putting points into Boomerangs for the Hero, and actually something that'll be good by the end game but goddamn Boomerangs are so good someone stop me. It's all 'rangs too nothing else it's really bad. Just when I thought Boomerangs were done, I got the recipe for a Reinforced Boomerang and phew boy we're back off.

Bows are mostly for mp replenishment. Sword is a better offensive option for Angelo. Falcon slash is still good even though it costs MP and you can make Angelo's best sword sooner than his best bow. Later in the game and for postgame, he wants the evasion boosts from fistcuffs since every dangerous attack are critical hits. You do not want Angelo to die at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

ROFL Octopus posted:

(as well as for grinding)

I used Hatchet Man on a metal slime and it did 1 damage, so I'm not sure if this applies any more or not...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hivac posted:

I used Hatchet Man on a metal slime and it did 1 damage, so I'm not sure if this applies any more or not...

Hatchet man has a 50% chance to miss, a 25% chance to do a regular attack (which you did) and a 25% chance to crit.

You need to upgrade it to Executioner for it to be worthwhile.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Hatchet man has a 50% chance to miss, a 25% chance to do a regular attack (which you did) and a 25% chance to crit.

You need to upgrade it to Executioner for it to be worthwhile.

Oh, I didn't know that. That's kinda dumb.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
25% chance to kill a metal slime is still better than normal attacks at least until you have metal slash.

Since you can actually spot metal slimes I was able to get about 3 levels in old Maella Abbey in about 20 minutes.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
TDL is still the best you can get for 23 points of investment. It's just no longer dumb levels of broken "strongest skill in the game for 23 points". Its new niche is probably "most damage in 1 turn" since at least without spending a turn on tension/oomph it still surpasses the 100 point skills for damage. Useful for clearing out randoms quickly before they could have damaged you if you spent the time setting up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh huh, I Hatchet Man'd a Metal Slime in the Ruined Abbey and got like 90 damage out of it, no idea it could not crit if it didn't miss

Lord Ephraim posted:

Bows are mostly for mp replenishment. Sword is a better offensive option for Angelo. Falcon slash is still good even though it costs MP and you can make Angelo's best sword sooner than his best bow. Later in the game and for postgame, he wants the evasion boosts from fistcuffs since every dangerous attack are critical hits. You do not want Angelo to die at all.
Alright yeah, if I'm gonna keep making the Hero a Boomerang Boy I should probably make Angelo more of a heavy hitter so it's not just Yangus carrying the team.

that motherfucker can carry the team tho goddamn

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I remember a post game boss that couldn't be damaged unless I had a certain spear skill or something or another so I'm just cranking that up what I want be damned.

Probably Darksteel. There's a couple more ways past him now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone know where the golden slime in Simpleton is?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

Oh huh, I Hatchet Man'd a Metal Slime in the Ruined Abbey and got like 90 damage out of it, no idea it could not crit if it didn't miss

Alright yeah, if I'm gonna keep making the Hero a Boomerang Boy I should probably make Angelo more of a heavy hitter so it's not just Yangus carrying the team.

that motherfucker can carry the team tho goddamn

Angelo's best boss weapon is definitely bow for Multishot fwiw

e:

Zaggitz posted:

Anyone know where the golden slime in Simpleton is?

Behind the bar counter, in the corner

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Moltrey posted:

I've been trying to break myself off putting points into Boomerangs for the Hero, and actually something that'll be good by the end game but goddamn Boomerangs are so good someone stop me. It's all 'rangs too nothing else it's really bad. Just when I thought Boomerangs were done, I got the recipe for a Reinforced Boomerang and phew boy we're back off.

Nothing to worry about for putting everything towards Boomerangs for the Hero always. I did that in the original and bosses were still disappointedly easy compared to other DQs. I had to start running from battles and avoiding any metal enemies to try to make it harder.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

did dq8 always restore your hp/mp when you leveled up or did the remake add that? i'm finding the early game a lot easier than i remember it being as a teen and i don't remember that mechanic so i'm wondering if that's making it easier or if i was just worse at games back then

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

did dq8 always restore your hp/mp when you leveled up or did the remake add that? i'm finding the early game a lot easier than i remember it being as a teen and i don't remember that mechanic so i'm wondering if that's making it easier or if i was just worse at games back then

That's new to the remake and definitely makes exploring easier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there were a way to patch in "full HP/MP restore on level up" to every other DQ game, especially 2-6, that would beat the poo poo out of constantly hoarding MP and being terrified to ever try using a Prayer Ring. In fact just doing that one thing would rocket up the re/playability like 1000%.

Also man, the "MC hits his head on the ceiling!" was funny, once, in like, DQ4, it's time to move on. Don't make me waste MP because I forgot to walk 5 feet and open a door before casting Zoom. :mad:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm playing the PS2 version right now and yep it fully heals you

ROFL Octopus posted:

Angelo's best boss weapon is definitely bow for Multishot fwiw
Well beans I dunno, maybe I will go bows idk. I feel like Angelo's skill point gain is pretty garbage tho

. Like he's getting 3 skill points where Yangus is getting 9 and Jessica is getting 8. The Hero is also pretty rough in that sense, getting like 4 or 5, makes me real worried to branch out and maybe finally stop this Boomerang Train.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah Angelo's skill growth is bad. Best to throw any skill seeds you get at him.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The supposed starting levels of the new characters isn't giving me much confidence with where I should be getting them...

Edit: Yeah, nope, this is really far into the game. Welp.

Reco fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 22, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

I'm playing the PS2 version right now and yep it fully heals you

Well beans I dunno, maybe I will go bows idk. I feel like Angelo's skill point gain is pretty garbage tho

. Like he's getting 3 skill points where Yangus is getting 9 and Jessica is getting 8. The Hero is also pretty rough in that sense, getting like 4 or 5, makes me real worried to branch out and maybe finally stop this Boomerang Train.

The Hero and Angelo skill point situation is fixed in the remake, not that that's any help to you, but it's nice to know that bullshit was fixed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

The Hero and Angelo skill point situation is fixed in the remake, not that that's any help to you, but it's nice to know that bullshit was fixed.
Ah, that's good. It's a bit of a bummer that Angelo will lag a bit, but I'm a huge idiot who's fine with grinding for a while even if I don't need to.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

precision posted:

Also man, the "MC hits his head on the ceiling!" was funny, once, in like, DQ4, it's time to move on. Don't make me waste MP because I forgot to walk 5 feet and open a door before casting Zoom. :mad:

Hitting your head doesn't spend MP :ssh:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

Ah, that's good. It's a bit of a bummer that Angelo will lag a bit, but I'm a huge idiot who's fine with grinding for a while even if I don't need to.

One last thing to mention, since you're fine with grinding, is that everyone eventually gets the same number of skill points, it's just Angelo gets his big numbers much later than everyone else.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

wow that is a bad addition

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are the camera quests worth doing? I did the entire first batch as soon as I could but all the rewards I got were pretty lackluster even for starting game rewards.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Unless I'm totally misremembering, you get fully healed on a level up in the PS2 version? I played today and i honestly can't remember

ROFL Octopus posted:

One last thing to mention, since you're fine with grinding, is that everyone eventually gets the same number of skill points, it's just Angelo gets his big numbers much later than everyone else.
Okay phew, I figured this was the case cause that'd be crazy otherwise

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are the camera quests worth doing? I did the entire first batch as soon as I could but all the rewards I got were pretty lackluster even for starting game rewards.

Yes, for example you can get a seed of skill and a super seed of skill, which gives ten skill points, really early on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bigass Moth posted:

Thin air and scorch will get you through mobs easy. Knuckle sandwich and sword dance for bosses until you unlock champion and blade of ultimate power.

I suggest not using blade of ultimate power since it is ultra cheese and you'll have no challenge.

Kick rear end thanks. Thin air is a huge step up. Any suggestions for where I ultimately build my dudes up to?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got a holy lance super early on from like the third batch

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

Kick rear end thanks. Thin air is a huge step up. Any suggestions for where I ultimately build my dudes up to?

Every class is endgame-capable, but Champions get 90% of the Paladin/Gladiator skills/spells and their own neat tricks, same for Druid. Heroes get some of everything and also Omniheal so maybe get one too. Basically Heroes are the ultimate well-rounded vocation, Champion is the ultimate punchmans since it gets passive strength bonuses, and Druids are the ultimate mages since they get MP cost reduction.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Are there metal slimes in DQ8? Do they give tons of XP - been a long time since I fought one of them. I remember they were semi regular appearances in DQ9 and not as much in the other games.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BadAstronaut posted:

Are there metal slimes in DQ8? Do they give tons of XP - been a long time since I fought one of them. I remember they were semi regular appearances in DQ9 and not as much in the other games.

Yes, they're not uncommon. They have stronger variants too that give several orders of magnitude more xp.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
should I sell my stuff before each chapter ends in 4 or buy a poo poo load of crap to sell later on?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

should I sell my stuff before each chapter ends in 4 or buy a poo poo load of crap to sell later on?

Buy a shitload, especially in Torneko's chapter.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Re: skills. Should I be minmaxing here or is everything good? Does anyone have a path that's like "yes, absolutely pour all points into swords" or something?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Unmature posted:

Re: skills. Should I be minmaxing here or is everything good? Does anyone have a path that's like "yes, absolutely pour all points into swords" or something?

Just from general osmosis, it seems you want to go Swords, Spears and Courage

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Unmature posted:

They actually limit your minmaxing, to an extent. There's a cap of how many points you can have in one skill at a given level (25 + 2*level), so you'll have to pick a secondary skill at some point.

But yes, pour all points into swords as much as you can. Then go for Courage or maybe Boomerangs.

Calaveron posted:

Just from general osmosis, it seems you want to go Swords, Spears and Courage

Actually, of swords and spears, you're generally picking one. If you're picking up a secondary weapon skill, it's probably boomerangs.

You can double up with sword and spear if you like, but it's kind of weird. You'll mostly be there just for Lightning Thrust.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 22, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I ended up picking DQ8 up yesterday. Has the menu always felt this awkward?

Also if I decline to some skill points are they gone forever or will they stockpile?

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nihilarian posted:

I ended up picking DQ8 up yesterday. Has the menunalways felt this awkward?

Also if I decline to some skill points are they gone forever or will they stockpile?

They stockpile.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's an option in the Misc submenu to use unspent skill points.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, it was implemented perfectly and it's not even a footnote in the grand scheme of things. Every multiplayer RPG before and after DQ9 has just been MMO style action. It sucks.

It's actually kind of ironic that what we took from DQIX was actually Streetpass rather than anything further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Did they keep the classic DQ magic, stairs, and enemy/ally attack sound effects in this version?