Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

When Bayonetta and Vanquish come to pc, for the sake of science please record a video of you playing them with kbm so we can laugh and/or marvel at your gaming skills.
Thanks for that edit, it was a little rude before. But sure Ill do that.

Dont know why youre so confounded by this, Ive been a nerd playing PC games since I was 5 on my commodore 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm not being rude, I'm just confused.

Some games are fine with kbm, some are fine with a gamepad. Some are better with one, but still manageable with the other. I don't understand how someone playing games for 20+ years like the rest of us can't adapt to different control schemes. You may prefer kbm, but the gamepad controls will be tolerable enough so long as Rockstar's balls dropped and decided to make actually tolerable controls this time, and looking at RDR, they should. The point is, whether you're someone who ONLY plays with kbm or someone who ONLY plays with gamepad, the entire things is so foreign to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Running on 7~ year hardware is fine and everything, and there are tons of reasons me to want this on PC above old consoles, but seriously:

If you didn't run around on foot with keyboard and mouse, and then switch to the controller for driving in GTA4 on PC then you quite simply played it wrong. :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
^^^ Ill kick your rear end at any GTA race. :colbert:

Himuro posted:

Some games are fine with kbm, some are fine with a gamepad. Some are better with one, but still manageable with the other. I don't understand how someone playing games for 20+ years like the rest of us can't adapt to different control schemes. You may prefer kbm, but the gamepad controls will be tolerable enough so long as Rockstar's balls dropped and decided to make actually tolerable controls this time, and looking at RDR, they should. The point is, whether you're someone who ONLY plays with kbm or someone who ONLY plays with gamepad, the entire things is so foreign to me.
Its not that I cant adapt, its that I just prefer the KB/M so Ill use that any chance I get. Whats the big deal? Given two different controller options Ill pick the one Im more familiar with. Im not saying Im a loving guru at button pushing, this just started because I said I'd rather play 3rd person games with a KB/M.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How do you drive in GTAIV without analogue triggers? Assuming the answer is 'not very well.'

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

marktheando posted:

How do you drive in GTAIV without analogue triggers? Assuming the answer is 'not very well.'
I dont know, how do you expect me to answer that? I bought GTA4 on launch for the 360 and on launch for the PC a few months later, I routinely fire up the game just to drive around because I still find it fun.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cage posted:

I dont know, how do you expect me to answer that? I bought GTA4 on launch for the 360 and on launch for the PC a few months later, I routinely fire up the game just to drive around because I still find it fun.

Well judging from how hard it is to turn corners and avoid obstacles if you don't ease back on the accelerator you must be very skilled at the game to not find the keyboard driving controls infuriating.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Why don't you just get a 360 controller for your PC?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

marktheando posted:

Well judging from how hard it is to turn corners and avoid obstacles if you don't ease back on the accelerator you must be very skilled at the game to not find the keyboard driving controls infuriating.

You learn how to deal with it like you do any other PC game that has digital controls as well as analog controls, you can mimic "lightly pressing" the trigger/sticks by just tapping the key instead of mashing it down, and learn how to use your brakes for really tight corners if you don't want to let off the accelerator. It does get annoying at times though since it isn't as easy and flexible as using a gamepad but that's just a minor inconvenience. The rest of GTA IV was immensely easy to replay, and get the Liberty City Minute achievement, with a keyboard and mouse on PC.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 31, 2012

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

marktheando posted:

Well yeah I guess I am.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Why don't you just get a 360 controller for your PC?
I have one, and I still prefer KB/M. The only reason I bought it was because using a KB/M will make your front wheels look silly by constantly steering back and forth, and I like to play around with replays and make videos.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Himuro posted:

There's really no compelling reason to buy a console when I prefer playing on a PC. I don't want to play something tolerable, I want to play something I'll enjoy.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Reaching level 95 on the taxi driver missions to unlock hydraulics is the most tedious thing. I think VCPR is my favorite radio station now too.

Also, everyone complaining about how horrible driving in GTA4 with kb/m must be bad at games or something because it's just as easy as it is with a controller. poo poo, I even prefer driving with kb/m and I mostly played GTA4 on 360. I only got it for PC last year.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

An Unoriginal Name posted:

get the Liberty City Minute achievement

I've completed GTAIV twice, never got this stupid achievement. Since I spend at least as much time messing around or listening to the radio, or exploring the city, as I spend doing missions. I don't understand why Rockstar made an achievement that encourages people to rush through their game.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

marktheando posted:

I've completed GTAIV twice, never got this stupid achievement. Since I spend at least as much time messing around or listening to the radio, or exploring the city, as I spend doing missions. I don't understand why Rockstar made an achievement that encourages people to rush through their game.

I didn't rush but I didn't pay much attention to side-mission stuff like being a cop until I was done. I used taxi cabs liberally.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There's really no compelling reason to buy a console when I prefer playing on a PC. I don't want to play something tolerable, I want to play something I'll enjoy.

I have the same mentality but for third person shooter and driving games I will always take controller over m/k. By the way there is a excellent port of devil may cry 4 on pc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I didn't rush but I didn't pay much attention to side-mission stuff like being a cop until I was done. I used taxi cabs liberally.

I have a habit of listening to the radio and not skipping the journey while going on taxi rides, so really I was never going to get that achievement.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Himuro posted:

When Bayonetta and Vanquish come to pc, for the sake of science please record a video of you playing them with kbm so we can laugh and/or marvel at your gaming skills.

I refuse to believe even Vanquish can't be properly modified so that its easy and practical to play with Keyboard + Mouse or just Keyboard.

Just because the Dark Souls developers didn't make a single change to the control scheme and just let it be like it is doesn't mean everyone else is gonna do that when porting a PC game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just curious, what's so special about "third person" games that needs a controller for optimal control?

Almost everything that's not an exclusive goes on my PC and I very rarely feel like a gamepad would make the experience better, with the exception of car/aircraft controls for which the little brother of the joystick and steering wheel is often better suited by design.

But general movement/view control/ability activation? Really? And no, terrible/lazy implementations of kb+m controls don't count.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Let's just rename this thread "PC vs Console controls thread" and get it over with. Especially with no new GTA news on the horizon.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I hope one day PC's and consoles merge into a single entity.

consoles with keyboards plus plug+play internal components so your PS3 wouldn't be stuck with 5 year old hardware.

[edit] Wait, they have those already, they're called PC's.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Knightmare posted:

Let's just rename this thread "PC vs Console controls thread" and get it over with. Especially with no new GTA news on the horizon.
If theres no GTA news then whats the problem with us talking about whatever it is we're talking about? Its still GTA chat.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't care if a PC beats consoles or not, I just don't own a console or will in the near future; that is the only reason I want a PC version.

I play 90% of the action games with a gamepad anyway.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Knightmare posted:

Speaking of which, when does GI start their coverage? I remember reading that the cover may be revealed as early as next week but wasn't sure if that was confirmed.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
November 8 is when the digital version drops I think.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've been trying to doriftu in GTA IV and it ain't easy. Actually exiting the turn lined up properly after countersteering an inch away from a lamppost is almost impossible for me, but that makes the rare successes much more satisfying.

I looked through YouTube for tips and all I saw were a) people shooting out their tires and driving on the rims, b) a bunch of drift mods (I'm on PS3 so those aren't applicable), and c) long clips of people just yanking the e-brake and hoping for the best. Also the juvenile background music is inevitably unbearable.

The only cars I can drift about with a clean exit are heavy cars with significant understeer, like the Schafter and the Dukes. Heavy + understeer + soft suspension seems like the antithesis of what works best in Forza but it's the only combination I can get to work. Maybe if I didn't suck...

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I played through both of the Arkham games with keyboard and mouse and did just fine.

BUT, this is one of the few games where I wished I had a controller at the time, only because using 4 directions (wasd) isn't good for quickly and accurately facing enemies to target them. Of course, you can overcome this by boosting your mouse sensitivity and simply facing the enemies you wanna attack but when I get into the groove of things and i'm facing a fuckload of enemies I usually want to focus all my attention into keeping my combo going and countering on time. The only scenario that was particularly hard to deal with on a keyboard was dodging/countering knife swings.

Other than that, pretty much every game is easily adaptable to keyboard and mouse (exception for fighting games but some people prefer KB even for that so who knows). I remember when I got a controller again and decided to try GTA 4 again thinking, maybe I was wrong and the cars aren't that bad and it was just the keyboard... but nope, the driving is so heavy handed and unresponsive in GTA 4 that it actually made me drive worse.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Now that we have a better idea when the game is coming out, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and make a thread for GTA V here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

orcane posted:

Just curious, what's so special about "third person" games that needs a controller for optimal control?

Almost everything that's not an exclusive goes on my PC and I very rarely feel like a gamepad would make the experience better, with the exception of car/aircraft controls for which the little brother of the joystick and steering wheel is often better suited by design.

But general movement/view control/ability activation? Really? And no, terrible/lazy implementations of kb+m controls don't count.

You just answered your own question with the car/aircraft controls. Steering wheels are great for driving but obviously not designed for running around on foot. Joysticks are a compromise between the two.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've got the itch to play GTA San Andreas. I'm downgrading my Steam copy to 1.01 so I can use my native resolution, but I'd like to know if there are any must-have mods out there. Since I'm making my copy moddable, I might as well add some mods.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Himuro posted:

Vanquish would be the greatest third person shooter ever made with mouse and keyboard.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a way to install multiple vehicles for Vice City at once? I downloaded some better looking Xbox car pack but installing each and every car manually would take forever.

EDIT: Never mind, I got it taken care of.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 1, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind, new thread.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I am never going to get anything done when I get an iPhone and can carry GTA with me. I've pretty much just accepted that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I am never going to get anything done when I get an iPhone and can carry GTA with me. I've pretty much just accepted that.

This is true, but only because you will be spending all your times struggling with the terrible loving controls, especially once you have to start using guns.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm trying to get Simple Trainer 6.4 to work with GTA IV, how would I go about doing so?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You just need dsound.dll, trainer.cfg and trainer.asi. Throw them all in your GTA4 directory then hit F3 while in game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cage posted:

You just need dsound.dll, trainer.cfg and trainer.asi. Throw them all in your GTA4 directory then hit F3 while in game.

I'm getting an error message, "Unsupported exe, only 1.1.1.0 is supported". I'm using the Steam version, do I have to downgrade :confused:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Are you trying to use this with EFLC or vanilla GTA4? 1.1.1.0 is a previous patch of EFLC, GTA4 is only on 1.0.7.0 right now.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

orcane posted:

I just found it better to control, also I dont see why its console vs pc thing. You buy an xbox controller, plug it into the computer and voila.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cage posted:

Are you trying to use this with EFLC or vanilla GTA4? 1.1.1.0 is a previous patch of EFLC, GTA4 is only on 1.0.7.0 right now.

Vanilla GTA IV, but I have both EFLC and GTA IV installed through Steam right now.

• Locked thread