Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but how are you not putting a 1k egg in a table or the cart or securing it so it doesn't fall over

It's not a pan you pull out from the cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

Yeah but how are you not putting a 1k egg in a table or the cart or securing it so it doesn't fall over

It's not a pan you pull out from the cabinet.

Or I can save a few hundred, get a Keg and a ton of beef and pork with the money saved? Honestly cannot think of a single thing that I am lacking with the BKK compared to an egg. If a gust of wind closes my Keg's lid, I am not risking a limb or impalement via ceramic shrapnel.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sometimes the constant, violent winds rips the lid out of my hands and almost tips over the whole thing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I am feeding ~30 people pulled pork on Saturday at 3pm. My super limited grocery store only had 2 port shoulders at about 8.5lbs each.

I plan in putting them Friday at like 7pm @ 225. I assume this will give me enough time to pull/wrap/rest, then shred and bring to party. Probably going to do a memphis dust rub.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: going to trim/rub them tonight, and leave them in the fridge overnight. Any point in doing a yellow mustard rub before the Memphis Dust?

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Moey posted:

So I am feeding ~30 people pulled pork on Saturday at 3pm. My super limited grocery store only had 2 port shoulders at about 8.5lbs each.

I plan in putting them Friday at like 7pm @ 225. I assume this will give me enough time to pull/wrap/rest, then shred and bring to party. Probably going to do a memphis dust rub.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: going to trim/rub them tonight, and leave them in the fridge overnight. Any point in doing a yellow mustard rub before the Memphis Dust?

From amazingribs.com:

quote:

My experience that slathers make little or no difference in the final outcome. Mustard is water, vinegar, and maybe white wine (all mostly water) with mustard powder mixed in. The amount of mustard powder is so small that by the time the water steams off and drips away, the mustard powder remaining is miniscule. If you want a mustard flavor, you will do much better by simply sprinkling it on the meat. I usually use water beacuse the components of the rub dissolve better in water than oil. Far more important is what is in the rub than under the rub. So use whatever you want for a slather.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Yeah I've never noticed a mustard flavor when I use it as a slather, I mainly use it so the rub sticks super well, but I might switch after reading that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Am I the only one who uses dry mustard powder in the rub?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah I've never noticed a mustard flavor when I use it as a slather, I mainly use it so the rub sticks super well, but I might switch after reading that.

My experience as well.

Moey posted:

Any other suggestions?

Good plan. Going to do about the same thing next weekend for a graduation party. Two shoulders about the same way. Good luck. Your timing sounds good by a wide margin. When done early, always the cooler/towel trick.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

therobit posted:

no

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

therobit posted:

I love it and is especially good with fennel seeds on chicken.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks all. I'll try and take some pictures of the meat as I go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

Any tips to cooking a flat brisket? I'm having trouble finding a whole brisket so I'll bother with that some other time.

Plan is mostly the same as I've done for pulled pork. Find some rub recipe, cook it at 225F until temp is around 203F and pull it to set for a couple hours. ?

Wouldn't you loving know it, I go to another costco and found this monster. Guess I'm doing a full 14 pounder for only about 3 people. :lol: Brisket all week.

Since imgur is being a poo poo, just imagine a whole brisket. :sigh:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 16, 2017

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I miss having a close Costco. Now we are almost 100 miles in either direction of one.

...still tempted to get a card....

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

My experience as well.

Good plan. Going to do about the same thing next weekend for a graduation party. Two shoulders about the same way. Good luck. Your timing sounds good by a wide margin. When done early, always the cooler/towel trick.

Please explain this magic trick involving a cooler and a towel. I assume no rabbits are involved.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You wrap the meat in butcher paper or foil then wrap it in towels then put it in an empty cooler and it will stay hot for hours.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm in aus and the closest Costco is about 150km (100ish miles) from me and one of my mates has a card so when he goes I get him to pick up a few racks of ribs. I have never seen such meaty pork ribs as the ones I get from there!! They're sensational.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Or I can save a few hundred, get a Keg and a ton of beef and pork with the money saved? Honestly cannot think of a single thing that I am lacking with the BKK compared to an egg. If a gust of wind closes my Keg's lid, I am not risking a limb or impalement via ceramic shrapnel.

Saving money you dont have or want to spend is a great reason to not get an egg. I just don't get the "but it could break" thing. Even with Santa Ana winds around me.

Not a competition though, man. Enjoy your BBQ.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I saw one of those giant egg knock offs at costco for $500 yesterday. I thought at first the handle was locked or something but no, the top is just that goddamn heavy. Holy poo poo. Seemed fairly nice for the price.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You wrap the meat in butcher paper or foil then wrap it in towels then put it in an empty cooler and it will stay hot for hours.

It's also great for holidays when you cook large family dinners. Cook up all the sides hours before, stack and tuck them away to serve later at dinner time and they will still be piping hot. Big stress saver.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Pour in some hot water for a half an hour to pre-heat things if you know you'll be holding something for a long while. Works great!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have a few questions about WSM addons/mods:

- How do I do that thing where I can graph my meat/air temperature? I'm using a Thermoworks dual probe to monitor temp, but would like to see graphs especially for meat that's smoking overnight
- any good mods for temp control? Also related to wanting to smoke meat at night while I sleep

I have a 14.5, but there's an 18.5 coming as well

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

SHOAH NUFF posted:

- How do I do that thing where I can graph my meat/air temperature? I'm using a Thermoworks dual probe to monitor temp, but would like to see graphs especially for meat that's smoking overnight
- any good mods for temp control? Also related to wanting to smoke meat at night while I sleep

1) You need a thermometer unit capable of doing that
2) BBQ Guru, Stoker, etc

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I have a 14.5, but there's an 18.5 coming as well

The guy who does the heatermeter stuff posts here sometimes. It looks like a cool project but I don't have the equipment to do it myself and don't want to buy it either

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I also think it's cool but I don't give enough of a poo poo to build one and I'd rather just buy it ready to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Auber instruments will sell you one that is literally plug in and play. Even with the OS installed

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sellouts posted:

Auber instruments will sell you one that is literally plug in and play. Even with the OS installed

Those look like some crap that a high school student built. I'll wait for a Thermoworks product that does it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

is it the 3d printed case that's triggering you sweetie?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I just take measurements randomly and throw them into excel to graph it myself.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well, I'm glad I started these two shoulders at 730pm last night. Just past 1030am here and am sitting at 176. I don't want to have to foil them.

Go pork go!

Edit: I am a sissy and bumped the smoker up to 250, if it doesn't flinch in the next hour or so, going to 275.

Edit 2: 250 got it moving again.

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 17, 2017

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Rubbed a small rack of ribs with loads of cayenne, random crushed chilli peppers, smoked paprika and salt'n'pepper. Going back in the fridge until tomorrow afternoon.

Using my rusty cheap water smoker for a change. Will see how it fares!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

See you in like 20 hours you big bitch!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Wagyu Beef ribs done over ironbark - 8h

My housemate was in charge of the wrapping while I was busy in the afternoon and he misinterpreted me saying to wrap it and then put towels around it as just wrap it in towels. Still loving good even though they didn't get to sit in foil before I got to them :( next time I think I'll do them on a day that I'm not busy

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^I'm sure the meat was pretty drat expensive. :( Not ruined I'm sure but that's unfortunate.

Just as a data point for anybody considering propane. I got about 37-38 hours of smoking out of a propane tank. First one I've used and luckily yesterday I got a spare refilled.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Enjoying your friendly neighborhood stall yet?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Oh you betcha. I saw 185ish when I woke up and figured that wasn't right so I moved the probe around. Sitting at 169 as we speak and it hasn't really moved since I woke up 4 hours ago.

Also, I had a dream where I woke up and my brisket was 220 degrees.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Not just stalling, but no barking. 4 hours and my tiny 1.5 pounder is dark but not black.

Should I chuck on more wood, or stoke what I have? Using oak and charcoal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Not just stalling, but no barking. 4 hours and my tiny 1.5 pounder is dark but not black.

Should I chuck on more wood, or stoke what I have? Using oak and charcoal.

What's heating it? I don't see any coals or wood under it.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

What's heating it? I don't see any coals or wood under it.

It's a water smoker, I started with mostly coals then moved onto aged oak.

Here's the fire box

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I made Mexican coke glazed beef ribs last weekend and they were amazing:

And yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder with oak and pecan. Had a real easy time maintaining temperature but the stall lasted a long, long time.

Edit: I also made beans, of course.

Happy Juneteenth

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

beans look absolutely phenomenal, nice work