Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I see Fragged Empire got nominated for Best Setting and Best Cover. Good for them; that's a game that needs more exposure. I really should F&F it.

Zereth posted:

... Several hardcopies of one product, to one judge?
No, hardcopies of multiple books. Basically if a book is to be judged, you have to send a copy of said book to every judge. If you have multiple books from your company nominated, then you have to send copies of all of them to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Ennies are judged by Bibliomancers. It's the only thing that explains a) their demand for multiple hardcopies and b) their complete and utter lack of taste in the actual content of the books.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

inklesspen posted:

Some of this person's comments were left on a backer-only update instead of the main comment stream.

Oh yeah, that's where the original posts are. I forgot kickstarter splits comments like that.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The nominations for the first Indie Groundbreaker Awards are up, but there's a nom for World Wide Wrestling so they obviously know what they're doing: http://www.igdnonline.com/announcing-the-2016-indie-groundbreaker-awards-nominees/

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 4, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WWW is such a good game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Most serious miniatures companies avoid the ENnies after the poo poo they pulled on Privateer Press. PP submitted an absurd number of $129 kits in 2011 (Khador gun wagons) which somehow found their way, unopened, directly to the auction tables.

To add insult, they lost to obviously lower quality miniatures. Reaper's mouselings took gold and the reissue of 80's Battletech plastics won silver.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mouselings are cute. Gun wagons aren't. :colbert:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

moths posted:

Most serious miniatures companies avoid the ENnies after the poo poo they pulled on Privateer Press. PP submitted an absurd number of $129 kits in 2011 (Khador gun wagons) which somehow found their way, unopened, directly to the auction tables.

To add insult, they lost to obviously lower quality miniatures. Reaper's mouselings took gold and the reissue of 80's Battletech plastics won silver.

Remind me again why anyone gives a poo poo about the ENnies?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Remind me again why anyone gives a poo poo about the ENnies?

Because most folks don't know about any of this stuff and just see "oh hey this won an award, it must be good." If you mean from a publisher perspective, well, I imagine that Paizo and WotC can afford to give away free books so it's cheap and easy publicity for them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Reminder that the ENnies were the only awards to completely snub Monsterhearts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also the only game in town in terms of tabletop "awards". Yeah, there are other options, but the Ennies is the one everyone knows. And like Kai said, the people who don't follow this stuff as closely as we do don't know about the potential-scam factor or D&D/Pathfinder favoritism.

It doesn't help that even the major developers will post things like "awesome, we were nominated!" even though they know that if there's a WotC/Paizo product in the same category it's probably going to win by default.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

General Ironicus posted:

The nominations for the first Indie Groundbreaker Awards are up, but there's a nom for World Wide Wrestling so they obviously know what they're doing: http://www.igdnonline.com/announcing-the-2016-indie-groundbreaker-awards-nominees/

Hey Ironicus, who/what are igdn? Like I clicked on Members and there are a lot, including several names I recognized, but who is actually doing the work, and what do they do?

I realize I might be asking the wrong person, and maybe I should just send them an email and find out.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

moths posted:

Holy poo poo, is there a post/article about this? Between this and Fred Hicks stuff like this needs to get publicized more in tabletop.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Without getting too grogs.txt-y the guy making GBS threads up the Blue Rose rpg looks to also be a backer for the 7th Sea 2.0 kickstarter and made sure to argue for the inclusion of slavery in neo-7th Sea. I wonder if he paid the $500.00-$1,000.00 to get an original character put in 7th Sea to fight the rising tide of social marxists there? Only time will tell....

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

Without getting too grogs.txt-y the guy making GBS threads up the Blue Rose rpg looks to also be a backer for the 7th Sea 2.0 kickstarter and made sure to argue for the inclusion of slavery in neo-7th Sea. I wonder if he paid the $500.00-$1,000.00 to get an original character put in 7th Sea to fight the rising tide of social marxists there? Only time will tell....

Well at least he's consistently lovely, I'll give him that.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Jimbozig posted:

Hey Ironicus, who/what are igdn? Like I clicked on Members and there are a lot, including several names I recognized, but who is actually doing the work, and what do they do?

I realize I might be asking the wrong person, and maybe I should just send them an email and find out.

No idea! I just saw a tweet from Magpie Games celebrating their Urban Shadows nominations and thought people here might be interested.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also the only game in town in terms of tabletop "awards". Yeah, there are other options, but the Ennies is the one everyone knows. And like Kai said, the people who don't follow this stuff as closely as we do don't know about the potential-scam factor or D&D/Pathfinder favoritism.

It doesn't help that even the major developers will post things like "awesome, we were nominated!" even though they know that if there's a WotC/Paizo product in the same category it's probably going to win by default.
I can only imagine that there are two kinds of gamers as regards the Ennies: people who only play some version of D&D, and people who look askance at the slate of Ennie nominees. I don't understand why anyone who doesn't think "Damage On A Miss" is the controversy of our age gives a poo poo about the Ennies.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Has anyone here tried to become a judge for the Ennies? It could help lessen the Pathfinder/WOTC/etc influence if the panel of judges was better qualified.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Libertad! posted:

Holy poo poo, is there a post/article about this?

Sadly, that would require competent games journalism.

I can't even find anything regarding a more recent scandal: One judge received something like $500 in submissions to "evaluate," then resigned as a judge without returning anything.

It's unimaginably unprofessional. One year I went back and reviewed the winners - There were only something like four total instances of a WoTC or Paizo product failing to win gold or silver. That is, if either company's product is in a category, it's almost guaranteed to win.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

Has anyone here tried to become a judge for the Ennies? It could help lessen the Pathfinder/WOTC/etc influence if the panel of judges was better qualified.

That sounds like an incredibly thankless endeavor for something that, at the end of the day, is some of the smallest stakes imaginable. Plus the ENnies as an organization such as it is sounds hilariously rife with corruption and petty nerd politics and I can't imagine thinking to myself "yeah I totally want to get involved in that with my free time."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

moths posted:

Sadly, that would require competent games journalism.

I can't even find anything regarding a more recent scandal: One judge received something like $500 in submissions to "evaluate," then resigned as a judge without returning anything.

It's unimaginably unprofessional. One year I went back and reviewed the winners - There were only something like four total instances of a WoTC or Paizo product failing to win gold or silver. That is, if either company's product is in a category, it's almost guaranteed to win.

That's because the actual awards are done via online voting. It's a popularity contest. Only the nominations really matter since that's from the panel of judges. Better judges = better Ennies, I think.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Yeah, that was what happened to Fred Hicks/Evil Hat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That seems right, I feel like they tried to screw Hicks for refusing to replace copies they mismanaged.

There was also something else about digital product, I can't remember what that was though.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Based on some G+ discussion, the digital thing might be that if you submit something for consideration, you can choose to provide either physical or digital evaluation copies to the judges, but your choice is for ALL the judges – it's not done on an individual basis.

Edit: Was the resignation stuff this year or a a previous one?

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 5, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

Better judges = better Ennies, I think.

Also it sounds like you get a ton of free books that you're not obligated to read. If you meet the criteria I say go for it. :getin:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ettin posted:

Also it sounds like you get a ton of free books that you're not obligated to read. If you meet the criteria I say go for it. :getin:

I work in the industry so I am not qualified.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Great qualifying questions:

quote:

The ENnies requires a major commitment of time and energy. What resources do you have that will help you discharge these responsibilities? Will your gaming group or other individuals be assisting you? Does your family support you?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

"accompanied by his faithful owl TRIGGER WARNING", he said with a straight face.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Golden Bee posted:

My family and friends have abandoned me. All I have left are the ENnies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

"I live in my mom's basement and I'm an ENnies judge and it's my pleasure to nominate Zak S for everything forever."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also the only game in town in terms of tabletop "awards". Yeah, there are other options, but the Ennies is the one everyone knows.

Whatever happened to make the Origins Awards lose relevance so drat fast in the 90s, anyway?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Whatever happened to make the Origins Awards lose relevance so drat fast in the 90s, anyway?

GAMA is run by a bunch of idiots.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'd love to hear more detail, since it seems pertinent to the thread.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Steven D. Russell, owner of a notable third-party Pathfinder company and creator of diceless system Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, died in a car crash.

This is sad news, and was confirmed by CBS news of the traffic accident among other sources.

I hope wherever he is, it's a better place.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

The ENNies are open, and Erik Tenkar is already encouraging ballot-stuffing.

I'm kind of hoping to see more people take a rip on the ENNies, after their track record of many poor decisions over the years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
We need a new award show. Anyone got photoshop, a server to host a site, and a lot of free time?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At this point it should be asked if any RPG Awards are actually necessary beyond the feeling that the hobby should imitate "real" media (i.e. ones that make gobs of money) in order to become more "real."

Can it be shown that the ENnies (or any other awards) actually result in increased sales and attention for the winners?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The Ennies don't mean a thing so there is just one thing left to do. Nominate Chuck Tingle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Doesn't Palladium already have a rule that allows billionaire dinosaurs to make you gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
With how small the group of rpg players who explore outside their starting game is, and the even smaller group who are able to articulate what they see as important/good in tabletop rpgs, any awards that are handed out will always come off as self-satisfied backpats and will probably be awarded first based on nepotism and name-recognition. That's not gonna be any different from any other media, but the smaller scale makes it more painfully obvious.

• Locked thread