Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Allen Wren posted:

content - I like stompboxes, but holy gently caress, dude. You do not need all that poo poo to bluesdad:

Watched his pedalboard demo, realized he's an Eric Johnson fan, wooden block under that Tube Driver suddenly makes total sense.

I ADORE gear demos filmed on an iPhone and tossed on YouTube.
'Listen to the quality of MAH TONEZ!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
spend all that loving money on pedals and run it through a Line 6.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iostream.h posted:

wooden block under that Tube Driver

I just noticed that now. What's the deal with that?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Eric Johnson says the Tube Driver sounds better that way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

TONE

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

I love EJ, but he also has claimed he can hear the difference between different 9V batteries in certain stompboxes.

Dec 26, 2012

most batteries dont have the proper tone voltage and tone current. amateur guitarists wont understand this, naturally. but if you get my Rectified-Amplitude Halting-Optimized Wave Activated 9-volt ultimate battery solution, you too can be in a very selective clan of musicians - really, everyone who isnt using it is playing on a subhuman level.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

01011001 posted:

most batteries dont have the proper tone voltage and tone current. amateur guitarists wont understand this, naturally. but if you get my Rectified-Amplitude Halting-Optimized Wave Activated 9-volt ultimate battery solution, you too can be in a very selective clan of musicians - really, everyone who isnt using it is playing on a subhuman level.
Do you have a Facebook page? I'd love to try your product. Is it in stock now?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iostream.h posted:

I...what? Isn't it just electronics in there? Is there some sort of built-in spring reverb I'm unaware of?

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I...what? Isn't it just electronics in there? Is there some sort of built-in spring reverb I'm unaware of?

Idiot. Electrons resonate.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
not to be 'that guy' but i'm sure the wood block is just to raise it up so it's easier to hit the switch if you have big fat feet or whatever

but playing through a line 6 is basically the funniest thing

Dr. Faustus posted:

I love EJ, but he also has claimed he can hear the difference between different 9V batteries in certain stompboxes.

also I read an actual interview in guitarist magazine where he said it was cause he once got a dud off-brand 9v battery so he decided to only use duracell and now it's blown up into some huge story about him being a battery connoisseur or something

edit: wow these were a lot of words to defend a guitarist's guitarist that i have never listened to

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 31, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
tbh i can totally see there being a difference between a sanko or sorny brand 9v from the dollar store and one that's actually built properly, inconsistent electricity flow and all that

lovely battery's probably more fun though

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Theres pedals just to simulate a dying battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_CJ0wvWS7M

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Dec 26, 2012

owns

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

yep, owns

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

ZombieParts posted:

Trigger haters and guitar solo haters are a remnant of a truly faggy time in music.

I have to be honest, I mostly hate triggers. I don't judge bands that use them, and I like a ton of bands that do, but I prefer that not every kick is exactly the same, and the fact that not every snare hit is perfect.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Can we also use this thread to mock idiot audiophiles?

We've not had one of those in a while

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

AceClown posted:

Can we also use this thread to mock idiot audiophiles?

This is one of my favorites

Dec 26, 2012

SineRider posted:

This is one of my favorites

quote:

Attention! Due to the rising cost of Myrtle wood and the labor to make these blocks, we have had to raise the pricing. All of the blocks have gone up approximately 50% in cost beginning February 1, 2014.

laffo

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am disapointed that their remote does not shield against tone defeating IR beams, while also featuring quiet unobtrusive pressure sensitive buttons. To think that the sound block people would get such an important product wrong is troubling.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dewgy posted:

tbh i can totally see there being a difference between a sanko or sorny brand 9v from the dollar store and one that's actually built properly, inconsistent electricity flow and all that

lovely battery's probably more fun though
Well (and like the other dude, not an attempt to sperg here) but a lot of fuzz and OD pedals sound different with a low voltage battery (to the point that several of the pedalboard power supplies have a 'sag' feature specifically for this. Others, like the Zvex Fuzz Factory have a 'sag' feature built in to simulate the same.

I'm trying to dig up some of the old interviews with EJ, I remember reading some of it in the late 80's/early 90's. He's a great guitarist, but he really IS out there with regards to his little quirks.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Yeah he definitely claimed different brands of name brand alkaline batteries gave different tone in interviews, he might have tried to play it down later due to being sick of bring asked about it but it wasn't just Duracell vs generic. He's good in that people who like Clapton vein but being a bit of a nutbag is acceptable quirk for a boring rear end tone wizard who makes tom scholz seem like Steve albini

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

There's a power supply to simulate dying batteries too.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Manky posted:

There's a power supply to simulate dying batteries too.

You can get generic multi-adapter power supplies that work just fine too, I think I got mine for £8 from Amazon (I use it for controlling the speed on my home-made pickup winder).

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
for sale: one gibson, slightly toasty

quote:

This "Firebrand" was a survivor of a house fire...destroying it's case and charring the back of the guitar...but not killing it. It has undergone extensive restoration and is now a very unique LP style Gibson that simply sounds and plays great.
The neck is straight, and has new electronics and tuners. The fire damage has been repaired, except for the charring...which is sealed and stable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That's cool as poo poo, sorry

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
oh sorry I loving love it, there's just not a better place to post it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

I basically only listen to metal now. I am cured of the jamband disease.

Thats not a cure, thats a more aggressive mutation. Hardcore is the only cure.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I have to be honest, I mostly hate triggers. I don't judge bands that use them, and I like a ton of bands that do, but I prefer that not every kick is exactly the same, and the fact that not every snare hit is perfect.

I think you probably hate lovely triggers rather than just triggers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

i bet that thing constantly has that burnt smell

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
actually it probably just smells like farts

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I want to tune it to C and let the good times roll

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Would play nothing but sludgy Floor jams with

Dec 26, 2012

pretty rad, though itd probably be better if the charring showed more on the front

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
looks like a baller p90 variant too :sparkles:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

01011001 posted:

pretty rad, though itd probably be better if the charring showed more on the front

Don't give anyone ideas, soon someone will probably "relic" some beautiful instrument with a blowtorch.

It's pretty awesome though I must say.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

This looks pretty cool, but the charcoal colouring on your clothes and hands whenever you'd touch it would get really loving old - unless you're wearing patented TONE GLOVES® and TONE SHIRT® that match the colour of the charcoal so you can wear your tone around whilst trying to find a date to the next blues gig you're going to because lets face it - you've never played in a band before.

Dec 26, 2012

i just caught that it was a firebrand :haw:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

auzdark posted:

This looks pretty cool, but the charcoal colouring on your clothes and hands whenever you'd touch it would get really loving old - unless you're wearing patented TONE GLOVES® and TONE SHIRT® that match the colour of the charcoal so you can wear your tone around whilst trying to find a date to the next blues gig you're going to because lets face it - you've never played in a band before.

Its clearly been resealed, it even says so in the description, so until you wear through that top coat you should be ok.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Hey White Dog Eggs, you ought make some kind of e-cigarette charger that fits into a headstock for bluesdads who don't smoke regular cigs anymore but still want that Clapton Is God look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

01011001 posted:

i just caught that it was a firebrand :haw:

that's really my favorite part. it's almost poetic.

• Locked thread