Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Probably won't help anyone, but if you're on windows, don't install the latest update (1.15.0.1354-d31489f0), it breaks playback entirely across the board

I saw the popup yesterday and decided to leave it alone because it's working better than usual right now. Thanks for the warning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Warbird posted:

It’s a pretty straightforward setup. I’ve got a cron job that calls a script using YouTube-DL every 30 minutes or so and it goes and pulls down anything in my watch later playlist that it hasn’t already grabbed and outputs it into where Plex is watching. Then the YouTube agent for Plex goes and grabs metadata for the videos and I get around to watching them later. The metadata is a bit finnicky but that’s not a huge issue. I assume you’d be able to get fancier than that for more dynamic OWL stuff but it suits my needs. If you want additional details I’d be happy to break it down further.

Wow, super clever. I’ll have to dig into this for some of the better YT channels I watch. Is this content separated like shows for each YT channel or is it one big list of everything? Which app is the watch later playlist in?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Violator posted:

Wow, super clever. I’ll have to dig into this for some of the better YT channels I watch. Is this content separated like shows for each YT channel or is it one big list of everything? Which app is the watch later playlist in?

So the YouTube agent thing is a bit flakey so it’s all sorta set up like TV “shows” for each channel as that’s the base library format for the agent. I think you can do it in other ways, but I haven’t messed with it. You could just dump them into an Other library in a big list if you don’t care particularly much about metadata or arrangement. I’m passing YTDL a cookie in order to give it access to my YouTube account and I’ll hop on the iOS YouTube app every so often to see if there’s something in my subscriptions that strikes my fancy that will the be added to Watch Later.

You could set up a dedicated list or have it just auto pull down any new subscription if you wanted, but this workflow works for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So plex has a new live TV feature that's quite pluto-esque. Nothing special from the listing I can see but eh, might be worth a flick around when bored. Personally I wish they could incorporate locast and have plex pass users get access to the donation tier streams (can you tell that locast launched in my area a few days ago?).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So it’s just Crackle or whatever the streaming channel things on my Android tv are? Could be interesting if they integrate it into the “tv” part of the OS. Sling apparently is supposed to do that at some point and it would be nice. Not sure why I care about having to go into an app but my brain’s dumb like that.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I just got an alert about the live TV thing on my Plex app too.

However, it said to see the free live TV stations to go to "Live TV" on the sidebar. I am already using an antenna with an HD Homerun, so all I am seeing is what I normally always see. How do I see the ones Plex is providing for me?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

They just now pushed an iOS app update for it. The new stuff is all under “Live TV” and is completely separate from your antenna section. You may have to I hide it depending on how you have things set up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Looks like a bunch of internet content and old tv arranged into "channels." So yeah, like Pluto. I've already got Pluto in the same guide as my OTA channels on my shield, but if you're actually using Plex's EPG, that's nice I guess.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Plex TV drop the commercials in the middle of the episodes like Pluto or put them at appropriate spots like Peacock?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ok this I may like. Pluto is a bitch to run on a shield in Canada due to geoblocking

edit: this isn't bad at all. It's fluff but...not bad. A dedicated Bob Ross channel.

oh my God there's channel that plays nothing but 90s music videos.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 24, 2020

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Ok this I may like. Pluto is a bitch to run on a shield in Canada due to geoblocking

edit: this isn't bad at all. It's fluff but...not bad. A dedicated Bob Ross channel.

OK how the hell do I see this on my Shield TV

All I'm seeing is my actual Live TV stuff from my antenna

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

OK how the hell do I see this on my Shield TV

All I'm seeing is my actual Live TV stuff from my antenna

On my Apple TV I have to go to ‘More’ at the bottom of my library list, then bring it up from the Plex libraries, not mine.

Bonzo posted:

MTV Classic does this 24/7 and really isn’t available on enough systems.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 24, 2020

frh
Dec 6, 2014

It only shows up for me if I log into the admin account. How do I get it to show up for the regular home one?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Got to settings/online-media-sources, LiveTV should be enabled.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly, it's all junk

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, it's all junk

Yeah but they're not making much new junk nowadays so it's a perfect time for nostalgia and cheap media to run amok. I was just thinking about some of the rare DVDs I have that'll likely never see the light of day, like my Fist of the North Star (Streamline version) DVD. I should rip it but I doubt there's really more than 5 or 6 people out there who really give a gently caress.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, it's all junk

The music video channels could be fun, but practically every clip I saw was interlaced to hell and back and Plex for some reason decided to not include a deinterlace filter in their video engine so it looks complete rear end.

Seems a common issue recently, it’s like nobody knows how to process older video anymore and just looks at the output and assumes that’s how it’s supposed to look. Maybe like FORTRAN coders there’ll be a market for people who know how to click ‘deinterlace’ during intake.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

The music video channels could be fun, but practically every clip I saw was interlaced to hell and back and Plex for some reason decided to not include a deinterlace filter in their video engine so it looks complete rear end.

Seems a common issue recently, it’s like nobody knows how to process older video anymore and just looks at the output and assumes that’s how it’s supposed to look. Maybe like FORTRAN coders there’ll be a market for people who know how to click ‘deinterlace’ during intake.

I actually had to bug Plex to just let the xbone client direct play MPEG2 because their transcoder had such a bad time with 1080i when Plex DVR came out. Dealing with legacy interlaced sources does seem like it's becoming a lost art lately. SlowTV on Pluto has that same problem fairly often.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The video channels are from some service called Loop which seems to resell Android boxes to bars, clubs, etc so maybe the source is the issue. There's a 70s channel and some the videos have some "warping" to them (remember old casettes) so likely the source of the material is cheap

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Got to settings/online-media-sources, LiveTV should be enabled.

I don't have this option anywhere :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was going to say I did appreciate the music video channels that you can just throw up and let them roll. I thought they looked familiar so that does make sense. I’d imagine the pandemic is making life a bit tough for them right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

I actually had to bug Plex to just let the xbone client direct play MPEG2 because their transcoder had such a bad time with 1080i when Plex DVR came out. Dealing with legacy interlaced sources does seem like it's becoming a lost art lately. SlowTV on Pluto has that same problem fairly often.

Ouch, yeah there's still a ton of MPEG2 content around whether we like it or not... glad they got on top of it.

I'm still wondering how the intro skip data works, because I put on a show the other night that's obscure enough (<400 ratings on iMDB, from 1985, and I doubt ever aired in the US) and it still nailed it. I'll have to see if the show entry in plex has the theme music play, because I presume that's what they would use as a basis for when to apply the button. I don't recall it having it, but I might be wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ouch, yeah there's still a ton of MPEG2 content around whether we like it or not... glad they got on top of it.

I'm still wondering how the intro skip data works, because I put on a show the other night that's obscure enough (<400 ratings on iMDB, from 1985, and I doubt ever aired in the US) and it still nailed it. I'll have to see if the show entry in plex has the theme music play, because I presume that's what they would use as a basis for when to apply the button. I don't recall it having it, but I might be wrong.

All I know is, while I do still have to see Paw Patrol I no longer have to see the intro

Warbird
May 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I assume they’re doing some computer vision scans of the shows and identify constants in the first x% of each file and slap down the button if they get a hit. I’d be curious If it works on shows that variable length cold opens before the intro segment.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

My understanding is that it does a similar thing to the dvr commercial skip. It analyses the episodes and tries to find a common section that would likely be an intro clip.

I'll have to check if this is per series or per season. Thinking of those shows which change intro from season to season

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Warbird posted:

I assume they’re doing some computer vision scans of the shows and identify constants in the first x% of each file and slap down the button if they get a hit. I’d be curious If it works on shows that variable length cold opens before the intro segment.

Yeah length of time doesn't seem to be a factor, I think it looks for the signature it needs then tracks back and adds the button a few seconds before it starts. If it's literally comparing the season episodes against themselves rather than a known signature, that's kind of crazy (in a good way, unless something tricks it).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, it's all junk

Yep.

I can't wait for them to automatically stick their Live TV into my sources with every update like they do for their Movies & TV Shows source. It's super annoying having to remove it from my side bar every loving time.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah length of time doesn't seem to be a factor, I think it looks for the signature it needs then tracks back and adds the button a few seconds before it starts. If it's literally comparing the season episodes against themselves rather than a known signature, that's kind of crazy (in a good way, unless something tricks it).

From what i read it scans the audio track for the theme tune/intro per season

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Chalk me up as someone else who can't get this new Live TV thing to show up outside of my main admin account. My home account refuses to show it, even though it will easily show the garbage Plex Movies and TV and Crackle stuff. I tried for over 2 hours and no dice. I cannot get it to show up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is a plex pass required for the users that was to use liveTV?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think so but it shouldn't matter since I have Plex Pass.

Here's everything I can see:

My "admin" account (I blocked out the username because it's my last name):

Here is the "Home" account:

I can't see this new live TV thing in my home account no matter how hard I try.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.plex.tv/tv/ This infers yes.

Also isn't www[...]w in a non-USA/EU country? They might have region locks on it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep.

I can't wait for them to automatically stick their Live TV into my sources with every update like they do for their Movies & TV Shows source. It's super annoying having to remove it from my side bar every loving time.

Yes, between this and giving me search results for lovely podcasts and stuff that isn’t on my media, it’s making me extremely curmudgeonly.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That pissed me off too because I had a co-worker think I was a CHUD after I gave them a Plex login and there was tons of Ben Shapiro-type bullshit on the main page.

I really am at a loss as to why I can't get this Live TV thing to show up on my account though. I'm in the US, and it shows up fine in the admin account. What the hell

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Anonymouse Mook posted:

My understanding is that it does a similar thing to the dvr commercial skip. It analyses the episodes and tries to find a common section that would likely be an intro clip.

I'll have to check if this is per series or per season. Thinking of those shows which change intro from season to season

It seems like it's per season? It was pretty hit and miss while for all of Futurama, but I couldn't find a pattern.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That pissed me off too because I had a co-worker think I was a CHUD after I gave them a Plex login and there was tons of Ben Shapiro-type bullshit on the main page.

I really am at a loss as to why I can't get this Live TV thing to show up on my account though. I'm in the US, and it shows up fine in the admin account. What the hell

Ugh yes it grossed me out seeing that as one of the top podcast options so I removed podcasts from the page altogether.

I kind of assumed the LiveTV has a bunch of alt right garbage on it because it’s free content to slam on there rather than any ideological reasons from the plex folks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It does indeed fingerprint the files themselves. It works off the audio. I can say this for certain, as it also works on home video material.
It's done per season, not per show.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Sneeze Party posted:

A while back I set up my Synology NAS as a Plex server, but gave up getting it to work with remote clients because my NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN and Plex doesn't seem to like that.

Is there a way to get Plex working on my NAS, through a VPN, to remote clients? Am I missing something simple? This was a couple of years ago since I last tried it.

Edit: Or possibly force Plex to ignore the VPN and use the naked internet connection?

Edit2: I use NordVPN, which apparently doesn't support port forwarding?

I was in exactly this position.

I've got round it by using one of the dynamic IP solutions (I used noip.com), setting it up in my router with port forwarding and a client on a Win10 PC that's usually on.

Then in PLEX settings (Settings > Network > Custom server access URLs) add the [url]http://[/url] and [url]https://[/url] version of your domain.

Don't install this same dymanic IP thing on your Synology box.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You’re really not missing anything. It’s all junk, unless you’re really jonesing for some America’s Funniest Videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You’re really not missing anything. It’s all junk, unless you’re really jonesing for some America’s Funniest Videos.

My wife loves that stuff but I'd like the 90s music channel and whatever that video game news channel is.

There's a lot of people complaining on the Plex subreddit that they can't see it outside their admin account with no one having any solutions.