Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zoux posted:

If you'll permit me a selfish heh at the roasting of obvious hypocrite and conman Joel Osteen for not opening his $70m "church" facility to refugees.

I've always wondered how these megachurch pastors square these massive churches with explicit NT teachings about buildings not being churches.

"I like money." There I solved it for you. Prosperity Gospel megachurch pastor fucks are the worst of the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Largest refinery in US shuts down. I've read some reports that as much as 1/3 of the US refinery capacity will be offline because of Harvey, so gas prices are going to spike. This storm has hosed up the entire coast from Rockport to Orange, it's bonkers.

Quorum Report is reporting that the current estimate for Harvey damage is $160bn, more than Katrina and Sandy COMBINED. And that's probably not factoring in what's happening in Port A to Beaumont right now. Dear lord. Also I'm glad that Ted Cruz and the Texas House delegation are getting roasted by their GOP congressional colleagues for voting against Sandy aid (while still supporting Harvey aid, as one should)

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 30, 2017

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder if it is worth it to rebuild. Climate change means that floods like this will happen more and more often, Houston might have a similar one a decade or two from now. Instead of rebuilding, give cash assistance to people in affected areas contingent on them permanently relocating, seize the land through eminent domain, and don't build on it. Climate change means that a lot of densely populated places in the US will become unlivable over the next century, our development and infrastructure policy needs to reflect that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder if it is worth it to rebuild. Climate change means that floods like this will happen more and more often, Houston might have a similar one a decade or two from now. Instead of rebuilding, give cash assistance to people in affected areas contingent on them permanently relocating, seize the land through eminent domain, and don't build on it. Climate change means that a lot of densely populated places in the US will become unlivable over the next century, our development and infrastructure policy needs to reflect that.

Yeah I think it's better than dislocating half of the state's population.

https://twitter.com/AliyyaSwaby/status/902915664037466112

If you don't know, schools receive money based on average daily attendance, which counts each day. So if your district has a snow day they don't make up, they get less money. I wonder if the state will grant a waiver in these situations, otherwise these districts are hosed.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

If you don't know, schools receive money based on average daily attendance, which counts each day. So if your district has a snow day they don't make up, they get less money. I wonder if the state will grant a waiver in these situations, otherwise these districts are hosed.

The state education commissioner has already granted that waiver.

http://www.kristv.com/story/36250870/texas-education-commissioner-authorizes-missed-school-day-waivers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those are just waivers granted through the end of the week. But I'm pretty hopeful no district is going to lose PSF money over Harvey, I can't imagine state leadership being that cruel.

Even with the waiver, it's so hard to make up 20-30 instructional days. How are these schools going to perform on assessment testing? Are these kids going to be in school all next summer?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Those are just waivers granted through the end of the week. But I'm pretty hopeful no district is going to lose PSF money over Harvey, I can't imagine state leadership being that cruel.

Even with the waiver, it's so hard to make up 20-30 instructional days. How are these schools going to perform on assessment testing? Are these kids going to be in school all next summer?

Some schools will be out for months, and the state is fully aware of this. No district is going to lose money because of hurricane recovery efforts.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope the aftermath of Poseidon's wrath won't serve to smother the progressive side of Texas in it's crib...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I hope the aftermath of Poseidon's wrath won't serve to smother the progressive side of Texas in it's crib...

Why do you always make posts like this

Konstantin posted:

Part of it might be climate change but Houston's lack of decent flood control infrastructure did a lot of damage too. So did massive sprawl over areas that used to help drain the water away.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, paving over the Katy Prarie land during the last decade has not helpes things. According to a buddy who has property nearby though, the Addicks release has basically flushed open the down stream drainage and the rate of flow is as good as he's ever seen it. So that will help things out in the short term.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Badger of Basra posted:

Part of it might be climate change but Houston's lack of decent flood control infrastructure did a lot of damage too. So did massive sprawl over areas that used to help drain the water away.

"Of course we can't determine if the man made buildings actually contributed to the flooding. I mean flooding has happened in the past, who says that us slamming down paved concrete in an unregulated way would be the only cause of the water not draining."

Said tongue firmly in cheek and play on the human influence​ on climate change argument.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The state/city does sometimes buy out flood areas through eminent domain. E.g. The onion creek area in Austin. They're going to rebuild though. We will learn nothing and this will happen again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Konstantin posted:

relocating the entirety of the Houston metro area is ... ambitious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I can't find it now but yesterday I saw a map of Houston comparing ground impermeability from 1990 to 2016 and it was staggering.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

zoux posted:

I can't find it now but yesterday I saw a map of Houston comparing ground impermeability from 1990 to 2016 and it was staggering.

I gotchu

https://twitter.com/emilymbadger/status/902640348433866752

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/investigations/harvey-urban-planning/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the one. Astonishing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The purple in the top left was the prarie land that acted as a hugely successful water absorber.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Texas Tribune did a really good article about it last year as well: https://www.texastribune.org/boomtown-floodtown/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/WangCecillia/status/903051096976875520

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STOP 👏 PASSING 👏 UNCONSTITUTIONAL 👏 LAWS

Current overturned or enjoined laws:
Congressional Map
Voter ID
Sanc Cities

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Badger of Basra posted:

Texas Tribune did a really good article about it last year as well: https://www.texastribune.org/boomtown-floodtown/

i like how it talks about how loving devastating a hurricane-led flood would be to the houston area. Theres no way thats not time travel at work-- I bet theres some sort of super explosion in the mix that will crack the earth itself and, in a desperate bid to stop it, people were sent back in time to propublica to write a long form article to warn against the dangers of unchecked development on flood plains :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

STOP 👏 PASSING 👏 UNCONSTITUTIONAL 👏 LAWS

Current overturned or enjoined laws:
Congressional Map
Voter ID
Sanc Cities

They could do so much more damage if they didn't try to reenact Icarus every drat time.

Just enabling the racist cops to harass anyone they believe to be undocumented and pushing the boundaries a bit more to perhaps enable stops based solely on that grounds would enable some really evil poo poo, but nooooOOOOoooo they just have to try and force it on all police and all departments.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/903176623704358912

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/903241791264215040

They're claiming it was planned.

Shifty Pony posted:

They could do so much more damage if they didn't try to reenact Icarus every drat time.

Just enabling the racist cops to harass anyone they believe to be undocumented and pushing the boundaries a bit more to perhaps enable stops based solely on that grounds would enable some really evil poo poo, but nooooOOOOoooo they just have to try and force it on all police and all departments.

It's a win for them either way. I mean it's not like they are fixing a problem that exists, so there's no harm to the bill not becoming law, and now they get to climb up on the cross about activist judges, which is their favorite place to be.

But yeah it's irritating that we have to spend millions to defend laws that are essentially Republican primary advertisements.

Talked to my folks today, they live in the golden triangle and they say it's a disaster area. Their house is OK but both their cars got flooded. Also the entire city of Beaumont is without water because the pump station got flooded. What an unreal catastrophe.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 31, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cubbie9000/status/903319485385502720

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure that cat care and whatever that company does are mutually exclusive, but they are right about far north Austin.

https://twitter.com/shelbywebb/status/903331922562207744

Shocked it's only seven.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 31, 2017

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Dallas has lost its mind and now there's no more gasoline.

http://tracker.gasbuddy.com

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Gas companies are skipping their regular deliveries in other parts of Texas to send it down to the coast; its needed for search and rescue operations, cleanup crews, etc. People in the metroplex aren't going gas-crazy. Well, now they are as stations are running out of fuel, but the shortage is because it's all being shipped south.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FBS posted:

Dallas has lost its mind and now there's no more gasoline.

http://tracker.gasbuddy.com

People keep telling me there is no gas shortage. What am I supposed to believe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's like a bank panic, the fear is causing the shortage. Yesterday I needed gas and I stopped at a place in South Austin that was out of gas, but the place across the street was normal. A guy I work with ran an errand today and said that every gas station he passed was chock full of cars, even spilling out into the street.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Spacebump posted:

People keep telling me there is no gas shortage. What am I supposed to believe?

There is plenty of gasoline. There might be logistical issues getting the gas to the gas stations (there are only so many trucks), but Mad Max times it is not. This is panic purchasing emptying out gas stations faster than they can be replenished.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
Gas panic seems to be hitting a peak in Austin, there is a 20-car line out the driveway of the mom and pop station by my house.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

It's like a bank panic, the fear is causing the shortage. Yesterday I needed gas and I stopped at a place in South Austin that was out of gas, but the place across the street was normal. A guy I work with ran an errand today and said that every gas station he passed was chock full of cars, even spilling out into the street.

Ah, I didn't think of this when I filled up my car on the way home from work today. I was wondering why the station was so crowded at 11:30 AM on a Thursday. Luckily it wasn't too bad, just busier than I expected.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

It took me an hour to get home today (it usually only takes 20 minutes) because assholes were waiting two blocks in the street to get gas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Every station tracked from my zipcode on GasBuddy shows out of fuel right now. Dallas has gone full crazy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

All five stations I passed on the commute home had 20+ car line in the road blocking traffic plus people in the opposite direction blocking traffic to make a left turn against traffic into the station.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Who the gently caress decides to do a sad milquetoast copy of the "judgemental maps" joke for their hiring promo? Like, you want to hire assholes, but only really boring ones?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is me and I'm fixin to be a oil tycoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

This is me and I'm fixin to be a oil tycoon

Uhm... I got bad news for this guy...

quote:

Similar Chemical Compound to Polyethylene

Hydrocarbon based compound materials have a similar chemical makeup to polyethylene. Chemicals such as gasoline, kerosene, alcohol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol can potentially permeate the polyethylene material and leak through the poly tank. Solvents can also degrade or soften polyethylene, affecting performance and durability of the poly tank. In these instances, fiberglass or stainless steel storage tanks are smarter choices.