Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I thought the ending was one of the stronger bits. It made perfect sense thematically and storyline-wise.

I read through Planetary mostly after it was done so maybe that colors my opinion but I liked the ending a lot.

My biggest problem with the series is it sets up the Four as the biggest threat in all creation and Snow deals with them without breaking a sweat and then the last issue is about saving Ambrose Chase who we're supposed to give a poo poo about why exactly?

Just another Ellis project that didn't live up to the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My biggest problem with the series is it sets up the Four as the biggest threat in all creation and Snow deals with them without breaking a sweat and then the last issue is about saving Ambrose Chase who we're supposed to give a poo poo about why exactly?

Just another Ellis project that didn't live up to the hype.

Well, that's sort of the point. The Four are fundamentally kind of pathetic and small despite building themselves up. At the end of the day they're only a threat because they never allowed anyone to become a threat to them, and they were already in the process of fracturing since William Leather had already left. And saving Ambrose Chase was less about Chase himself and more about setting the tone for future action.

I really liked the Four being kind of pathetic. Them being the almighty superthreat goes against the central idea of Planetary that the world is STRONGER when it's weird. They focused so much on containing things they lost the ability to be truly weird and so are defeated in mundane ways by the truly weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What future action though? There's never been nor will there ever be any follow up to the series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll see when I get there, but I've found myself really liking some really hated endings to things (NGE, Teen Titans), so I'm going in with no expectations to hate it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What future action though? There's never been nor will there ever be any follow up to the series.

The future action that is implied the characters take. You don't need to see it to know what is going to happen next. It's a closed story and better for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

The future action that is implied the characters take. You don't need to see it to know what is going to happen next. It's a closed story and better for it.

What future action? A bunch of bad haircuts and stupid outfits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What future action? A bunch of bad haircuts and stupid outfits?

I really don't understand what you're saying? Yes, we literally see countless future variations of the Planetary crew arrive, each looking different and implying lots of incredible adventures. Hell, they're specifically told the best is yet to come. It is not described because it does not need to be described. The mere presence of the characters shows that they have countless weird adventures to come.

Planetary ended and it ended telling you that the adventure continues for effectively forever. That's a good ending for a story about keeping the world weird.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm thinking about reading the big four retellings of Superman's origin within the next couple weeks. I'll try and do a little write up.

The four: For All Seasons, Birthright, Secret Origin, Grant Morrison's Action Comics Volume 1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

American Alien deserves a spot, boy-o!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Totally forgot. I'll put an order in tomorrow. Trying to figure out some criteria to compare them with. Like introduction of Lois, introduction of Luthor, debut of Superman to the public, etc;

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Marriage Night posted:

Totally forgot. I'll put an order in tomorrow. Trying to figure out some criteria to compare them with. Like introduction of Lois, introduction of Luthor, debut of Superman to the public, etc;

Status of Martha and Partha Kent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I read it after it was through and the ending felt like rushed through trash.

I don't know if there were deadline or sales issues but it feels like it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yep. One thing I didn't like about Grant's run was that both his parents were dead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm thinking about reading the big four retellings of Superman's origin within the next couple weeks. I'll try and do a little write up.

The four: For All Seasons, Birthright, Secret Origin, Grant Morrison's Action Comics Volume 1.

Add Man of Steel '86 and skip Secret Origin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Add the one or two pages his origin is originally explained on.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Man Of Steel by John Byrne is way bigger than any of those origins and is the current canon origin to boot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If you have the time maybe consider other media's interpretation of the origin (like the opening two part to the Bruce Timm animated series.)

I believe other worthy criteria for analysising in all his origins are Catching of Planes (or Space Planes) by Superman and roles of Krypton in producing future threats to Earth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Status of Martha and Partha Kent.

I really liked Landis' implication that Martha was the Smallville vet. It gives her more agency while still grounding her in the farming/small-town community.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any impressions on Batman Beyond? Are they done with the lovely Brother Eye stuff?

I realise this is slightly (read: way) too late, but as I only just got caught up, I'll give my thoughts. So far it's pretty solid. There's teething issues because they're still holding to the bullshit Brother Eye-pocalypse as backstory, but issue 2 featured the introduction of Terry's new cover identity for infiltrating criminal groups: the son of Matches Malone. And they pretty quickly got Max into the Batcave to take over as the voice in the cowl again. Only problem is the story is about the leader of the Jokerz trying to resurrect the original Mr J (because of the Brother Eye/Tim stuff, the ROTJ is replaced by a slightly less disturbing story where Joker died in an explosion after Batman foiled his plan)

The art is nice but can't save the needless tweaks to the suit, but everyone else looks nice, and the writer has a decent handle on Terry, managing to have him fire off some quips while fighting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Add Man of Steel '86 and skip Secret Origin.

I like Secret Origin. It has Gary Frank, and brings back Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tom King's been hinting at a new book, and now we get this.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/806244214552088578
King's New Gods or some weird direction for Batman. In either way.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Roth posted:

I'm 10 issues into Planetary, and this is pretty fantastic.

Do make sure you also read Planetary/Batman - it's pretty great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Secret Origin. It has Gary Frank, and brings back Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes.

Those things are not positives.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Aw, you're really bumming me out, man. An alienated kid having friends from the future that he can be his real self with, and to tell him things are going to get better is really sweet and comic booky in the best ways. Morrison's Action Comics handled it really well too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finally, Death Of The New Gods done right! :v:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Teenage Fansub posted:

I swear, I really need the actual ability to crawl through someone's ear and into their brain to cut this poo poo right the gently caress out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:swoon:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how he drink through the mask

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Unstable molecules.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Red Hood mask mouth/lips are canon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Superman - Good. You shouldn't need me to tell you that this is good.
Batman - Starts bad, I feel like it twists around at the middle but... this feels like a filler issue. Batman does Cool Batman Things and responds to Selina

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Onmi posted:

Batman - Starts bad, I feel like it twists around at the middle but... this feels like a filler issue. Batman does Cool Batman Things and responds to Selina

This is becoming the norm for me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's been more than five years. Who still thinks the current Batman logo is a good idea?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not me. Not cause I hate it at all, but they should've dumped every logo for Rebirth.
Tie it to Snyder/Capullo forever by breaking it off there.

e: drat. Speaking of Batman, I bet if there was zero narration in today's issue and it was just the A-B story told in those spreads, it would go down as an all-time great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 7, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Awww poo poo he's regressing. The Alzheimers is getting him pretty hard isn't it :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's been more than five years. Who still thinks the current Batman logo is a good idea?

The G-Mo Batman and Robin logo is the best modern Bat logo and shame on them for not using a variation of it somewhere.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't Morrison or Quitely design that? That was a great logo.

I just can't imagine who thought the current one looked good enough. I never realized how important a good logo is until seeing it. That'd be a good topic for the derailed thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Didn't Morrison or Quitely design that? That was a great logo.

I just can't imagine who thought the current one looked good enough. I never realized how important a good logo is until seeing it. That'd be a good topic for the derailed thread.

Grant sketched it out i think.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The new Flintstones continues the series satire on modern life, dark comedy and takes on the apocalypse with Professor Sagan (I still can't believe a Caveman Carl Sagan is a major recurring side character in this comic) Next issue is likely a return of the Great Gazoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

I can't not type it as bATMaN. Ever since that logo was shown.