Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’m gonna liquor up and play EDF5 to get psyched.

Speaking of which, it’s time for EDF in SRW. Especially as of 5.

Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

OG games are good.

People who don't like OG games are bad.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

OG games are good.

People who don't like OG games are bad.

gamer nod

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The OG series is good, but is in serious need of a shake-up because Moon Dwellers was a complete phone-in in terms of plot, character usage, enemy variance and roster bloat management (as in they didn't do any).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HitTheTargets posted:

I have three hopes for tomorrow. If it's a mainline game, I hope we get a weird series inclusion that we can't figure out how they could make it work. If it's an OG, I hope they take some risks and redesign some mechs to mimic of those weird series inclusions. Give Masaki a synchro rate % why not. Turn the Fairylions into Aesties for unlimited EN.

Lastly, if I'm an OG I hope I'm the jerkass ace with a heart of gold who's lucky in robots and unlucky in love.

I want Ring with the CEO skill and Gilliam with the Negotiator skill.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The OG games are good but they tend not to be very imaginative, and Bandai has a bad habit of over extending themselves in regards to the number of units and pilots available.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They're not gonna drop the OG series now we're finally reaching the conclusion fans have been waiting for since it started.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Crossing my fingers for OG Chronicles getting Original Generations, Gaiden and 2nd OGs in one big game in English.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What if they announce two games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. It's been a while since we've had a spinoff.

My bet though would be a Fire Emblem Heroes knockoff mobile gatcha game to go along with XO.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

Lastly, if I'm an OG I hope I'm the jerkass ace with a heart of gold who's lucky in robots and unlucky in love.

I changed my mind. I'm going to be the edgelord OC who shuns others in order to avoid ever exposing himself to emotional vulnerability again, ever since the incident.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I changed my mind. I'm going to be the edgelord OC who shuns others in order to avoid ever exposing himself to emotional vulnerability again, ever since the incident.

It's okay Rai, Ryusei is there for you now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe toss something at the Switch

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'll be the poor bastard who was a squaddie in OG1 back when it was a low-key military sim, and has been using the same generic MP mech with incremental tune-ups ever since while getting fewer and fewer lines.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

They're not gonna drop the OG series now we're finally reaching the conclusion fans have been waiting for since it started.

Once they finish Alpha 3 plot and include W, I'd almost bet on something of a soft reset of the OG games. Keep a few of the big favorites (Sanger, Masaki, Lune) and those who originated in OG (like Latooni, Shine, Ratsel, etc.) and start over again with a different focus and use the originals from the games after W. It'd be the only real way to manage the roster bloat.

Or bring squad systems back.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's okay Rai, Ryusei is there for you now.

Man I was just making poo poo up and thinking about Squall but you know what, you're right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Once they finish Alpha 3 plot and include W, I'd almost bet on something of a soft reset of the OG games. Keep a few of the big favorites (Sanger, Masaki, Lune) and those who originated in OG (like Latooni, Shine, Ratsel, etc.) and start over again with a different focus and use the originals from the games after W. It'd be the only real way to manage the roster bloat.

Or bring squad systems back.

With this glorious new future of SRW games in English I'd be down for a reboot or an entirely new OG series that I can play from the start.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If we did get a reboot of OG, hopefully they'll use more interesting designs this time around, one of my biggest issues with the OG series is how bland and monotonous most of the mecha designs in those games are

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
OG desperately needs more compelling worldbuilding, I think. The Divine Crusade was the one interesting thing the Earth Sphere had going for it, and it was a generic rehash of Zeon, in recent games it's almost entirely been external antagonists from god-knows-where. And if it's going to keep characters around, it needs to give them something to do and some personal conflict to resolve.

It's not getting rebooted at least /now/, since they basically unsubtly yelled out "we're doing Alpha 3 next", but it could do with something fresh. If they can recapture how compelling Z's world was around they same time as they'd actually be using it in a game, it'd go a long way to having a solid foundation.

(and I feel like they blatantly set up that one Not Shu Shirakawa guy in BX to be important going forward)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As long as we still get Gespensts.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gyra_Solune posted:

OG desperately needs more compelling worldbuilding, I think. The Divine Crusade was the one interesting thing the Earth Sphere had going for it, and it was a generic rehash of Zeon, in recent games it's almost entirely been external antagonists from god-knows-where. And if it's going to keep characters around, it needs to give them something to do and some personal conflict to resolve.

It's not getting rebooted at least /now/, since they basically unsubtly yelled out "we're doing Alpha 3 next", but it could do with something fresh. If they can recapture how compelling Z's world was around they same time as they'd actually be using it in a game, it'd go a long way to having a solid foundation.

(and I feel like they blatantly set up that one Not Shu Shirakawa guy in BX to be important going forward)

There's a lot that could be more interesting if they didn't have a monolithic Earth Federation, for one. A tiny handful of major spheres of influence like Front Mission's USN, EUC, OCU, DHZ, etc., would go a long way toward creating some nice political dynamics. But even just delving into the existing canon of the series, there's tons of lore they just never bother expanding upon.

OG2 makes a lot of allusions to the DC remnants gaining momentum not just because of Shadow Mirror and the Earth Cradle's backing, but because there are several anti-Federalist factions in Africa who have much of the continent in varying states of civil war. This is treated as a passing reference and footnote when you could have a whole game built around this setting.

Technological progress in the world came to a grinding halt with the crash landing of Meteors 1 and 2 in NYC and DC, and it's remained stalled ever since. That's their official explanation for why technology isn't super advanced in the New AD Era or whatever they're calling it these days. There could be advancements in the setting changing this, now that war has become so prevalent and technology is advancing so rapidly. But they don't even get into the civilian life side of things beyond a handful of chapters in OG1 (Ryusei and Kusuha) and OGG (Kota and Shoko and Dr. Azuma).

There's all kinds of background fluff like Kenzo Kobayashi and the Advanced Neuroscience Institute that gets used to establish character backstories for Aya and Radha and Mai, and then never comes up again. I could go on. They're just squandering their own setting. It's not a question of creating more elements of interest, but fleshing out the ones they have, in my opinion.

edit: Oh I almost forgot that the colonies stopped existing as a plot element after OG1—the only colonial figure that matters anymore is Brian Midcrid (who went on to become an Earth figure), while every other colonial with a face is either dead and gone or part of the Steel Dragons.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 11, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Less than an hour to go. I’m almost ready.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stream is live, come and get your hopes dashed everybody!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Looking forward to the reveal of SRW S, coming this year to Steam including Pacific Rim.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aura battler!?
and cross ange is back

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey i was right about geass

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

HI NU GUNDAM!?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Did I hallucinate or was that loving Nadia Mystery of Blue Water??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

misaki what

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Uh ok.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What did I just see?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I knew they wouldn't skip G Reco.

Also I'm glad I just watched Buddy Complex on a whim.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Mazinkaiser Vs Mazinger Zero!?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think I only knew one of the new series.

Nothing I really wanted, but I'm not really surprised about that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

So Cybuster is a bonus like the Huckebein and Grungust from last time. Neat.

But why did we get Reconquista and not IBO. Sadness.

Also, what the hell was that show with the weird looking small children?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh good it's coming to Vita.

But still why Nadia. I mean great anime, a golden classic, but why Nadia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nadia pairs well with reconguista

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Lotta stuff returning from V, but I'm hype. They even slotted Cybuster in where V had Grungust and Huckebein.

Expect more interdimensional shenanigans, 'cause I saw Mazinger Zero and Mazinkaiser.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Oh good it's coming to Vita.

But still why Nadia. I mean great anime, a golden classic, but why Nadia.

Because Eva wasn't in it, but we need Ganaix in it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Because Eva wasn't in it, but we need Ganaix in it somehow.
gurren lagann

• Locked thread