Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CerealKilla420 posted:

Wait so you’re telling me this isn’t the one I should get???

No RGB bling, no sale!

WhyteRyce posted:

Trying out a 22110 enterprise drive. drat near burned my finger touching the controller. Composite temperature of 96F my rear end.

You sure it wasn't C you were seeing? Pretty much everything I've ever seen reports C unless you switch to F in a display app.

WhyteRyce posted:

Do those heat sinks with the double sided tape work if the drive is in an m.2 to pcie adapter? Or does gravity end up pulling it off?

It entirely depends on whether you get a thermal adhesive tape or just a thermal pad. Most of the m.2 sinks I've seen come with silicone thermal pads, which are kinda sticky / tacky but not enough to hold anything against gravity by itself.

You can get adhesive thermal tape separately, or maybe rig something with a zip tie or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No I changed the display to F from C. Double checked against the raw Kelvin value. Annoyed that crystal mark only displays the composite smart temp and that I probably need to load up Linux so I can get the individual temps from nvme cli

The heat sink says it’s double sided tape. I did find something else that looks like it completely encloses the drive and has screws, hopefully that doesn’t effect the mounting

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 7, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Haha controller temp 82C nand temp 44C thanks a lot composite temp

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it expected for the NVMe drive to run hotter at idle?

SATA SSD is at 42 degrees C, the new NVMe 52. (and the HDD 35)

Or is it possibly the fault of the case? The two drives are in different places. The NVMe is on a riser.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is it expected for the NVMe drive to run hotter at idle?

SATA SSD is at 42 degrees C, the new NVMe 52. (and the HDD 35)

Or is it possibly the fault of the case? The two drives are in different places. The NVMe is on a riser.

Yes, NVMe drives run hotter than SATA drives. There's more data being processed and stuff by the controller. 52C is maybe slightly on the warm side for idle but it's not an alarming temperature or anything. That's fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It hit 60C today, despite not being used. This was when playing a game, so I think it's the GPU, which is right next to it, heating it up. It's a compact case with little airflow.

that blue/teal bit in the middle is where the m.2 slot is

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 8, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Depending on whether or not that thing has an open PWM header (or get a splitter) you might be able to wedge a Noctua 40x10 or 20mm fan in there to force *some* airflow over the drive, with the noise and speed directly tied into system thermals.

40x10: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A4x10-PWM-4-Pin-Premium/dp/B07DXRNYNX/

40x20: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A4x20-PWM-Premium-Quality-Quiet/dp/B071W93333/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been planning to build a new pc anyway. This might motivate me to do it sooner rather than later.

Just a little worried about buying components piecemeal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

It hit 60C today, despite not being used. This was when playing a game, so I think it's the GPU, which is right next to it, heating it up. It's a compact case with little airflow.

The warranted operating temperature of most SSDs is up to 70C. If that's on the warranty you know it's safe.

My recommendation is: don't play video games at the same time that your drive is crunching on databases or indexing 4K camera footage. Otherwise ignore it and think about buying a more gaming-appropriate PC the next time around. Compact OEM machines have horrible airflow and cooling, and you are probably having just as much heat issues with other components.

(This is why for decades every reference GPU design had a loud blower cooler, to deal with lovely cramped OEM cases.)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've got a motherboard with a monoblock and the absolute madmen put the SSDs under there too so it's amusing how cold they run. In the winter my EX950 was running down at 20-30c

There is also an itty-bitty coldplate and matching thermal pad for the 10GB NIC that I chuckled while applying, just in case I ever become a major torrent node or something

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ps5-ssd-upgrade-temperature-testing

Toms Hardware tested various states of heatsink on and off, and drive bay cover on and off for SSDs on the PS5. The TL;DR is that removing the metal cover is indeed good enough, and that may not even be necessary. The test seems kinda half-assed, though. Didn't test the 980 Pro thermals (yes, it's obvious that similar differences will occur, but not the absolute temperatures. does the 980 Pro get excessively hot in places the SN850 didn't?), and they also didn't test gaming performance at all. It's unlikely to be affected either way, but it would be nice to see.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

E: Wrong thread, found the right one, apologies!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 12, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do have a heatsink stuck to the controller on my 980 pro. It hangs out at 51c most of the time. I can't seem to make it get any cooler.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

I do have a heatsink stuck to the controller on my 980 pro. It hangs out at 51c most of the time. I can't seem to make it get any cooler.

There's no reason to want to. Just ignore it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

There's no reason to want to. Just ignore it.

I dug a little deeper and apparently the Samsung Magician software thinks the drive can hit up to 100c?! Yeah that seems just fine to me.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some day somewhere you will stumble upon an e1.s latch system that will piss you the gently caress off and make you hate everything

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, are there any brands not doing component switcheroos?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

So, are there any brands not doing component switcheroos?

Intel and any drive aimed at enterprise customers.

Otherwise, no, pretty much everyone seems to be in on this game to some extent. We've had confirmed cases for Samsung, WD, Adata, Patriot, Crucial, and others. Presumably there're more out there doing it and just haven't been noticed because they're smaller players. Some of them are at least changing part numbers so it's easy to tell (if you pay attention), but it looks like everyone is trying to keep the same listing name and hoping most people don't notice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Samsungs switcheroo was more of a sidegrade at least (lower performance when overflowing the SLC cache, but the SLC cache was made 3x larger to compensate)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

Samsungs switcheroo was more of a sidegrade at least (lower performance when overflowing the SLC cache, but the SLC cache was made 3x larger to compensate)

Yeah, Samsung's was one of the least-bad switches, especially given that they also changed the model number, packaging design, and basically everything except the actual name, so it was/is easy to figure out which you're getting.

But yeah, if you're planning on buying some SSD model that has been out for a bit, you probably need to search for recent re-reviews to see what you're actually getting in the box now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone have any strong opinions on the WD BLACK SN750 SE? If we simplify the equation of the deal in that link, I'm essentially paying $10 for 2042 and I fix my current storage problem, but getting good hardware is way more important than getting a probably bad game for cheap.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's a free copy of BF2042 with the SN750, if google translate isn't failing me? If you are going to buy BF2042 either way, then I would look at it this way: the price of that drive appears to be cheaper than the combined price of BF2042 on steam and the cheapest, shittiest NVMe drives out there (according to PCPartPicker's norwegian price checking system). That makes it a good deal if you're going to buy the game anyway.

The SN750 the kind of SSD we don't typically recommend because it's in that awkward middle spot where you should either go cheaper (the WD SN550) because the raw read/write stats aren't important to you, or you should step up to a PCIe Gen 4 drive. But in a vacuum it's fine. There's nothing really wrong with that drive from what I can tell. If you have a good deal on your hands, then you may as well I guess.

Though the one other point I'd bring up is that Battlefield 2042 will be free on Game Pass through microsoft's partnership with EA and their EA Pass program. So if you're a game pass member, then having an owned copy of BF2042 is optional, and you should probably just buy an SN550 instead (this is assuming that game pass is a thing in norway and the selection is the same)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

gently caress, I completely forgot about the Origins/Gamepass thing. Well, that decides it, SN550 seems more sensible. Thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Like many goons, I have a tomahawk max motherboard with a ryzen 3600. I installed an NVME drive today and my computer still sees my two ssd drives, but my two hdd drives are now not detected. Is there some weirdness with NVME and hdd drives or something, or a tomahawk max setting I need to change, or ???

edit: if you install an nvme drive, then it disables sata ports 5 and 6 on my motherboard. I changed the cables over and now it's fine!

edit 2: thanks! VVV

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 30, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

redreader posted:

Like many goons, I have a tomahawk max motherboard with a ryzen 3600. I installed an NVME drive today and my computer still sees my two ssd drives, but my two hdd drives are now not detected. Is there some weirdness with NVME and hdd drives or something, or a tomahawk max setting I need to change, or ???

AMD® CPU
2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports1
1 x M.2 slot (Key M)1
Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
AMD® B450
4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in M.2 slot.

Move the two SATA connectors to the two unoccupied ports.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Or, put the nvme in the other slot.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Geemer posted:

Or, put the nvme in the other slot.
I somehow missed the 2nd slot in the spec.

e: there is no second slot in the pictures.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I read the manual again and I see no mention of a second M2 slot.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm sorry. I misread that specification that got posted and thought it said "SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in [the second] M.2 slot." for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geemer posted:

I'm sorry. I misread that specification that got posted and thought it said "SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in [the second] M.2 slot." for some reason.

Because that's how B550 works. Zen 3 with B550 has a few more lanes to play with though, I believe.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So, possibly something that might be obvious when I'm looking at it, but how would I know what the 5/6 slots are in a 450? Seems to be the same deal in that one as the 550.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

So, possibly something that might be obvious when I'm looking at it, but how would I know what the 5/6 slots are in a 450? Seems to be the same deal in that one as the 550.

Look at the manual.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It should also be printed near the ports on the PCB, or I'd hope so at least.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Right on, thanks. Now to figure out where the gently caress I put the box.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Right on, thanks. Now to figure out where the gently caress I put the box.

It’s not on the manufacturer’s website?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Black Griffon posted:

They're the ones furthest from the psu/closest to the cpu and RAM/underest the video card. slots 3 and 4 are right next to them and 1 and 2 are all the way on the PSU side.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yep, grabbed the pdf, still appreciate it though!

The Electronaut posted:

It’s not on the manufacturer’s website?

Oh no, it is, but I'm gonna need screws.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
For someone who once prided himself about being in the loop on hardware development, it came as a complete surprise to me to learn about the M2 format. A perfectly pleasant one, too, as my five year old motherboard supports it. A one terabyte M2 drive is on the way. :cool:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sweet! you know the difference between sata m.2 and nvme m.2 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

CoolCab posted:

sweet! you know the difference between sata m.2 and nvme m.2 right?

I hope so! The motherboard is an MSI X99A SLI PLUS. Seems to be NVME, both from online compatibility checks and from peeping into the chassis and seeing the connection.

Edit: My BIOS is old (March 2015), I'll flash it to a newer version before this thing arrives. Looks like others have had issues with old BIOS not detecting the new drive.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 1, 2021