Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my opinion since I reached them after game release is that if you manage to clap both of the godskin duo so they're simultaneously dead you should just get the W under the justification they need to actually cast the revive on each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it should be said that weapon arts and spells being broadly more powerful will probably also contribute to a sense of the game being easier, even excepting general knowledge/skill gains since launch. unsheathe heavy attacks absolutely dumpster most bosses, and crucible tail + a charged heavy attack will stagger almost every normal enemy in the game reliably every time

the only boss i've deliberately cheesed on my replay has been the draconic tree sentinel because they pretty obviously gave up on fixing him and just slapped tragoth down for you to use, but everything else has been kind of a joke, even with zero spirit summons or coop

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I had a hell of time with this wiggly tree guy that barfed scarlet rot. The lorax has gone too far.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I had a hell of time with this wiggly tree guy that barfed scarlet rot. The lorax has gone too far.

would you believe me if i told you that you encounter that wiggly tree guy 9 separate times, and none of them are actually in an arena built to fit them

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, the scarlet rot can make that one a bitch, especially if you don't happen to have a handy way of curing it.

Vermain posted:

i'm reasonably certain that all duo+ bosses in the game had their AI changed to fall far more into a demon princes-style your turn/my turn pattern compared to before. it's comically obvious when you're fighting, say, the three crystallians: the spear guy will do his normal stabbing operation, but the ring guy and staff guy just hang the gently caress back aside from a very occasional spell or ring toss. this is in pretty direct contrast to release where the only way i could beat that fight solo was via flame of the redmanes spam on all of them at once

Vermain posted:

it should be said that weapon arts and spells being broadly more powerful will probably also contribute to a sense of the game being easier

That's probably it then (AI or weapon arts or both). I wasn't sure what changed, but something seemed a lot less brutal.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

my opinion since I reached them after game release is that if you manage to clap both of the godskin duo so they're simultaneously dead you should just get the W under the justification they need to actually cast the revive on each other

hahahaha, agreed! That happened to me last night when I beat them. They were both dead, and the mimic and I just stood there looking at each other in an empty room with ~1/4 a boss health bar. It was odd waiting around for the boss to decide to reappear, but made it nice and mellow to buff up and catch my breath.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Squiggly trees.. I assume you mean Ulcerated, but Erdtree Avatars are kinda squiggly and keep showing up and get rotted too!

The worst Erd Avatar I fought was in North Caelid. He did the super butt stomp with enormous spreads of rot that chip damage you from 100 to 0 fast, and he did it EVERY second move. So tap him, run out, wait, repeat for like 10 minutes straight. Buggy or is the entire gimmick of North Caelid supposed to be "gently caress You, but secretly come here early for loot and farming"?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Squiggly trees.. I assume you mean Ulcerated, but Erdtree Avatars are kinda squiggly and keep showing up and get rotted too!

The worst Erd Avatar I fought was in North Caelid. He did the super butt stomp with enormous spreads of rot that chip damage you from 100 to 0 fast, and he did it EVERY second move. So tap him, run out, wait, repeat for like 10 minutes straight. Buggy or is the entire gimmick of North Caelid supposed to be "gently caress You, but secretly come here early for loot and farming"?

the secret technique for rot avatars is that the butt slam only sends the spray forwards, so you can roll behind them and attack as normal

if you feel stupid for not figuring this out, you shouldn't, because it's a bunch of brown-red particle effects in a brown-red arena being shot out by an enemy that your entire camera is probably clipping into if you do anything other than bolt directly away from him

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It usually didn't work out that I felt safe running around him and North Caelid is definitely in the "every two mistakes you make is a death" territory. I find most of the "giant aoe sprays and the left behind particles rapidly tic for 20% hp every .5 seconds" attacks to be truly obnoxious, except Morgott is so god drat classy his is pretty fair as a rare exception.

And seriously, every second attack. Some busted rear end AI looping!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 22, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've never once had any real trouble with the Draconic Tree Sentinels, maybe they're easier if you're melee and super aggro which is how I always play? They've got like one attack that'll trip you up but its timing is trivial, and the flask catch is as slow and easy to plan for as it is with the Godskins. Are they particularly nasty if you're ranged/caster/cautious?

Doomykins posted:

This guy is rough but the rot is only in a cone in front, once you figure that out it becomes a free charged heavy+light followup whenever it does it. It's not terribly visually obvious unless you're fighting it up close tho. They're not fans of fire either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vermain posted:

i'm reasonably certain that all duo+ bosses in the game had their AI changed to fall far more into a demon princes-style your turn/my turn pattern compared to before.
Yes, this did happen. I think they might have specifically mentioned it in the patchnotes but it was datamined at some point anyways, they changed multi-boss AI in exactly that way.

MarshyMcFly posted:

This guy trying to hotswap his way to victory after not bowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odrn30WQFfo
I wish we went back to ds1 style "you can't cancel out of these at all until they're finished" emotes so anyone bowing for no reason could get beaned in the face

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That tree avatar near the bridge in north caelid is has one of the highest level scaling so it's gonna pack a punch. Sneaks up on you since it's pretty easy to wander there. Dragon guarding the bridge isn't that challenging either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I've never once had any real trouble with the Draconic Tree Sentinels, maybe they're easier if you're melee and super aggro which is how I always play? They've got like one attack that'll trip you up but its timing is trivial, and the flask catch is as slow and easy to plan for as it is with the Godskins. Are they particularly nasty if you're ranged/caster/cautious?

I play the same way and I still find them one of the nastiest guys in the game. Their melee moveset is punishingly damaging but not too hard to learn, but their lightning phase and horse fireball spam can both be a huge pain in the neck even if you have a good idea what they do

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah I went there crazy early and fought the big dragon legit(bleed cheese it to start alts now) and painfully cleared Fort Farroth, we're talking like level 60-70. Went back around 90 and beat up the tree, night cav, bridge dragon and bouncer in front of beast cleric.

I kind of love/hate the design of "stuff you've seen but it hits 5x as hard", it is nice to see sensibly recurring enemies return and be threatening and it really rewards you for learning to fight that enemy since bridge dragon and the erdtree av are very predictable with experience fighting easier versions of them, but also North Caelid in particular does feel a little bland at times with exception for the absolutely crazy Divine Tower.

That freaking harpy nest in the fort. :haw: Got really good at dodging harpy attacks though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I didn't have a problem with the north Caelid tree rotter, I mean I did but the answer was just "run around on horse casting spells". The real mother fucker was the underground putrid lorax tube spirit in a mausoleum in the north of Radahn's wasteland where a bunch of knights were having a forever war.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Caelid bell bearing hunter, however,

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love fighting Darth Vader in all locations and stats, he's a hell of a training class like Crucible Knight for how to avoid getting hit by unga bunga attacks and to give them back in openings. Rapid consecutive staggers on those two guys is some serious :discourse:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Draconic tree sentinels are weak to wild strikes with your biggest, bleediest stick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

the leyndell gatekeeper one is mostly just aggravating to deal with conventionally due to a combination of lingering hitboxes - i'm pretty sure point blank fireballs can't be rolled out of period - and absurdly high damage for the point in the game you find him

it's clear they intended for you to fight him on torrent, but i'd rather trudge through an actual irl sewer than engage with the mounted combat in this game at all, so i'm fine just blowing poison clouds up his rear end for 10 minutes so i can continue on with the game

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Doomykins posted:

painfully cleared Fort Farroth, we're talking like level 60-70

Faroth isn't for clearing, it's for Yakkity Saxxing through to grab the medallion half and the soreseal. No levels required!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vermain posted:

it's clear they intended for you to fight him on torrent

Did they? It’s never occurred to me to try. All the horse bosses are way harder to fight on a horse imo, since they can unhorse you way way easier than you can unhorse them (if you even can, which you can’t in this case).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah you also end up fighting one later in a no-horse area.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

skasion posted:

Did they?

it's pretty inexplicable for that boss to deal as much damage as he does and to have as much area denial as he has if they weren't designing it to be something you did hit-and-run attacks on, sort of like how all the dragons can fly a million yards away at will if you spend more than a couple seconds at their ankles

my personal experience with the lightning bolt attack is also that it's nearly impossible to dodge properly on foot, but its tracking lags a little right before it hits, which makes it easier to get out of the way of using torrent's gallop compared to plain ol' dodge rolling, although maybe light dodge has made that irrelevant now

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
What? Fighting (Draconic) Tree Sentinels on horseback is the worse thing you can do. You don't get i-frames on horseback. Giant AoE attacks are ones you specifically want to time your i-frames through

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

What? Fighting (Draconic) Tree Sentinels on horseback is the worse thing you can do. You don't get i-frames on horseback. Giant AoE attacks are ones you specifically want to time your i-frames through

torrent's gallop speed is more than enough to get out of all of the draconic tree sentinel's AoEs, and it doesn't force you to deal with lingering hitboxes to boot. it's how i beat him on my first time through after trying it on foot like two dozen times

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think I can see that angle. Using Torrent means you get to weave in and out and peck at a boss without committing, which can end up being safer in some situations if you haven't learned the dodge timing yet. I kinda want to try it against that first one to see how it changes that fight at low levels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nickoten posted:

I think I can see that angle. Using Torrent means you get to weave in and out and peck at a boss without committing, which can end up being safer in some situations if you haven't learned the dodge timing yet. I kinda want to try it against that first one to see how it changes that fight at low levels.

most of my friends who played on release said that they assumed the first tree sentinel was specifically a "get the horse first, stupid" boss, since they found it far easier after acquiring torrent, and i kinda agree (even though i just brute forced him my first time through)

there's a lot about the tree sentinels that point towards their design intent being for you to fight them on horseback, like how they're one of the only enemies in the game that cannot be put into a crit stagger state (which you cannot take advantage of on horseback anyways)

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

i am harry posted:

Don’t even need an ash of war on it.

no it really doesn't i slapped hoarfrost stomp on it because it's useful for crowd control but i rarely remember its there, i'm gonna try royal knight's resolve because that sounds fun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

most of my friends who played on release said that they assumed the first tree sentinel was specifically a "get the horse first, stupid" boss, since they found it far easier after acquiring torrent, and i kinda agree (even though i just brute forced him my first time through)

there's a lot about the tree sentinels that point towards their design intent being for you to fight them on horseback, like how they're one of the only enemies in the game that cannot be put into a crit stagger state (which you cannot take advantage of on horseback anyways)

I just took it as a "go do whatever you want, sometimes a scary thing will kill you and that's fine and you can try again or go somewhere else." I didn't even try to fight him, there's this massive landscape opened up before me and I just didn't even think to buckle down and try to commit to beating up some guy in the woods who didn't seem like he was hiding anything cool anyway. When I did finally fight him it was on Torrent mostly because I was just riding around old areas for spots I didn't explore yet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think both regular tree sentinels and draconic are way easier on foot. there's so much more granularity in avoiding those attacks via positioning compared to "just time your roll right".

horse is great for closing in on dragons though, as I've said before

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If anyone was looking to switch to PC, elden ring is currently $37 USD on GMG which I believe is the cheapest it's been yet. https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/elden-ring-pc/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Erdtree/Draconic Sentinels stagger but I've never been able to critically hit their glowholes, which they don't seem to show.

I just ran around Consecrated Snowland for awhile and boy is my corpse dead! Niall was a cool fight but I had one of those days where your play is off by a centimeter and you consistently gently caress up simple stuff until steam flies out of your ears. Glad we had Putrid Avatar chat, made the one in fogville much faster. I prioritized running away from them because they rotate like 90 degrees in the air so I gave way too much caution to their tracking while also assuming if I was close to their impact zone I'd get a knockdown and death in the persistent rot puddles for my trouble. Was a breeze to dash around and get a running R2.

Paracelsus posted:

Faroth isn't for clearing, it's for Yakkity Saxxing through to grab the medallion half and the soreseal. No levels required!

My smooth brain Soulslike honor code is to combat my way through everything new once within reason(I killed one Frenzied Flame Giant because oooh new enemy in Snowland and then Torrent danced around the ruins grabbing stuff) and then I can freely yolo or cheese or summon for it afterwards. Also my completionist exploration brain, it's usually easier to hold a torch and examine every dark corner when all the baddies are dead.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I killed the tree sentinel the first time by plinking away at it from the nearby rooftop with a bow until it fell over. Cheese it all, let god sort it out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Margit down! The summon NPC definitely helped, but I hardly got touched on the time I downed him.

Now Stormveil Castle is kicking my rear end. The bigger dudes in black armour are tough, and I’m not yet good enough at knowing if I can get a Glintstone Pebble(?) off before they axe me from grin to junk. I am quite good at dodging off the side of the goddamned castle though, and at trying to stretch an HP flask just a little too far. Definitely makes me a little jealous of the bulky dudes in my imagination who can shield-shove assholes off of cliffs.

I might invest in farming up a few more Vigor points, but that’s a fair bit of farming. I’m definitely getting better at the first parts of the castle, and can make it past all(?) the fire-throwing jerks untouched usually.

I did kill one of the black dudes in a dark room and got my first talisman—an enhancement to guard counters, which really doesn’t set my astrologer heart aflutter, but hey. There’s also a jumping puzzle (probably) that I haven’t figured out in one of the vine-covered windows, which I may just let be one of those things that I don’t complete in this game.

I was going to call it a night but now I’m wondering if I could manage to kite my current nemesis down the stairs into an area that’s a bit bigger…

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Margit down! The summon NPC definitely helped, but I hardly got touched on the time I downed him.

Now Stormveil Castle is kicking my rear end. The bigger dudes in black armour are tough, and I’m not yet good enough at knowing if I can get a Glintstone Pebble(?) off before they axe me from grin to junk. I am quite good at dodging off the side of the goddamned castle though, and at trying to stretch an HP flask just a little too far. Definitely makes me a little jealous of the bulky dudes in my imagination who can shield-shove assholes off of cliffs.

I might invest in farming up a few more Vigor points, but that’s a fair bit of farming. I’m definitely getting better at the first parts of the castle, and can make it past all(?) the fire-throwing jerks untouched usually.

I did kill one of the black dudes in a dark room and got my first talisman—an enhancement to guard counters, which really doesn’t set my astrologer heart aflutter, but hey. There’s also a jumping puzzle (probably) that I haven’t figured out in one of the vine-covered windows, which I may just let be one of those things that I don’t complete in this game.

I was going to call it a night but now I’m wondering if I could manage to kite my current nemesis down the stairs into an area that’s a bit bigger…

If you did one catacomb then immediately downed Margit and the trap room knight you're going to bulldoze through this game lol, definitely explore the rest of what Limgrave and its surrounds have in store!

edit - pretty sure those big Banished Knights are in silver armor tho, if we're thinking of the same baddies

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 23, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm so excited to see you're entering Stormveil castle. Just as a note, the earlier Dark Souls games are basically "what if the whole game world was one giant storm veil castle?", so take from that what you will.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Vermain posted:

i'm reasonably certain that all duo+ bosses in the game had their AI changed to fall far more into a demon princes-style your turn/my turn pattern compared to before. it's comically obvious when you're fighting, say, the three crystallians: the spear guy will do his normal stabbing operation, but the ring guy and staff guy just hang the gently caress back aside from a very occasional spell or ring toss. this is in pretty direct contrast to release where the only way i could beat that fight solo was via flame of the redmanes spam on all of them at once

I remember the good ol' days of the rotten crystal trio being one of the hardest bosses in the game, and then being really insulted when they give you like 8k runes for beating them.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Just bought this. Is magic the OP way to go? I already played Dark Souls so I have no more interest in proving my skills with swords and boards, I want to magic missile steamroll my way through the whole game if possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Epic High Five posted:

If you did one catacomb then immediately downed Margit and the trap room knight you're going to bulldoze through this game lol, definitely explore the rest of what Limgrave and its surrounds have in store!

edit - pretty sure those big Banished Knights are in silver armor tho, if we're thinking of the same baddies

I did one catacomb and then got the Meteorite Staff and Rock Sling, to be clear, and farmed my int up to the low 20s off random poo poo that stepped up while I was wandering around to things on the horizon that looked interesting. I got stuck for a while on the archers and big thing that are just inside Stormsomething Gate, until I realized that I could just Torrent my rear end through there.

I have had a few NPCs ask me to do things in quest-like ways, but haven’t quite figured out how to go about them.

Could be silver armour now that you mention it. They’re always in shadow when I notice them and then I just fixate on the health bar and flailing around. The lighting in this game is so good, and the Steam Deck runs everything on “High” at a locked 40fps what is this wizardry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I see the game's finally joining seasonal sales. Do I want to play it on a top-end PC or XBox SeX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BasicLich posted:

no it really doesn't i slapped hoarfrost stomp on it because it's useful for crowd control but i rarely remember its there, i'm gonna try royal knight's resolve because that sounds fun

35vig 35end 20str zweihander+9 with no ash of war update - four swings took out rennalas dog. just insane.