Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Wow, remember when The Stone had people going "get on with it!"? When that was intolerably slow compared to the regular comic pacing? And remember when the comic messed with the reader but still moved things along? Good times, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
"Who is this, Annie?"

"That's a good question, Shadow. Hey, you: what do you know about this?"

Annie that isn't even asking her who she is. It's Lana, Coyote, Zimmie, and Loup rolled up into one person I mean obviously but like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she asked "how do you know about this". a generous reading implies that annie a) has an inkling who black-haired girl is, and b) it's not someone who should have any business knowing about the zimmyverse

i understand that everyone's generosity is just about spent though

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Just tells us who she is ffs

There's building tension or drawing out a mystery, and then there's wasting the reader's loving time

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 9, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm half expecting the girl to go, "Ok, I'll tell you, I'm -" and then Annie cuts her off and goes "No, don't tell me, it doesn't matter."

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
I AM--
Who are you!?
I AM--
Who are you!?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It sort of makes sense but it's way too drawn out, so it's a lot of empty air and time for everyone to lose track of the sequence of events.

- Annie notices and confronts Mysterious Girl.
- Suddenly, Shadow appears, calling for Annie.
- The girl, for unclear reasons, tries to grab Shadow and warp away.
- Annie follows them while the girl seems to be trying to get away from her.
- This continues for an entire week.
- Annie finally says she wants to help Shadow. The girl accepts this, as if she previously thought Annie was a threat to Shadow for some reason.
- They stop teleporting near Robot.
- Robot is now Annie's main priority, so she ignores Mysterious Girl for later. <- we are here, but with no idea what the girl wanted, what she thought about Annie or Shadow (or Robot for that matter), why she caused all these problems, why she then suddenly believed Annie was good, or why this took all of February

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
She's extremely pissed with someone who still hasn't had time to do anything, that's the best part about it.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Caphi posted:

- Annie follows them while the girl seems to be trying to get away from her.
- This continues for an entire week.

I know you meant "a week of updates" but I briefly envisioned this as Annie just stalking this chick for a full seven days from her perspective and this sequence has had such a lack of impact on me that I didn't even double take for a couple more bullet points.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

oh my god, what are we even DOING

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Azran posted:

She's extremely pissed with someone who still hasn't had time to do anything, that's the best part about it.

Someone she thinks may be Zimmy, whom she considers to be a friend (and dangerous). Lol.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Checks out: Annie often treated Zimmy that way.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

isasphere posted:

Wow, remember when The Stone had people going "get on with it!"? When that was intolerably slow compared to the regular comic pacing? And remember when the comic messed with the reader but still moved things along? Good times, good times.

A. I loved the Stone. Every page communicated just how amazingly old Jones was and really made me wonder how such a being perceived the world.

B. Jones? Who's Jones? An immortal dawn-of-time being would surely have some sort of influence on the finale of this comic so she must be something you're making up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, kind of a letdown that her role in the narrative basically just amounted to an endless cycle of problematic relationships with people she met as children.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, kind of a letdown that her role in the narrative basically just amounted to an endless cycle of problematic relationships with people she met as children.

And affirming that Annie was right, gently caress the haters, in The Mind Cage.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Caphi posted:

<- we are here, but with no idea why

*snip* lol

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So this is the coolest Annie's looked in a long time, but I don't know why she looks so pissed off.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe she's as sick and tired of this comic as we are?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

There Bias Two posted:

So this is the coolest Annie's looked in a long time, but I don't know why she looks so pissed off.

I didn't know either until I noticed Tom literally told us, "Just letting them know not to come close."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I thought that the Seraphim weren’t angry at Robot though. Wasn’t the whole final chant of that chapter “It was worth it”?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I get the impression they're terrified of Annie and trying to point the finger and blame Robot to save themselves and present a scapegoat for their own willing complicity.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
They're calling her "Subject Carver" so it's possible that they're referring to her with male pronouns, as if they think she's her dad.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

GunnerJ posted:

They're calling her "Subject Carver" so it's possible that they're referring to her with male pronouns, as if they think she's her dad.

unlikely, given the "true form" comment matching the "his true form!" lines from a few pages ago

also further unlikely, given that that would be an interesting deception, something tom hasn't been interested in trying to pull off for a while now

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Nah, none of them are students anymore really, they haven't exactly been holding classes or anything. And they called Zimmy "Subject Zeta".

... Man, rereading chapter 49 is really sad given the context of everything that happens after it. The latter parts of the comic really do ruin the earlier parts.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

the art is good, though!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zoya posted:

the art is good, though!

Sure, yeah, when he's drawing things he cares about, like this weird angel monstrosity. But you can look back one page for some really inconsistent off-model faces from Annie, including one of those terrible anime side view faces where the mouth and eyes look all wrong in panel 2.

It's still fine though, I think in general he's only gotten better as a visual artist despite what some others have said - he just continues to have weaknesses. It's his writing that has really nosedived.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sure, yeah, when he's drawing things he cares about, like this weird angel monstrosity. But you can look back one page for some really inconsistent off-model faces from Annie, including one of those terrible anime side view faces where the mouth and eyes look all wrong in panel 2.

oh yeah, no arguments here. the previous page was one of the worst in a while, for a whole variety of reasons (mostly the dialogue, for me)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I thought that the Seraphim weren’t angry at Robot though. Wasn’t the whole final chant of that chapter “It was worth it”?

To be fair, it's been over a year in-comic since they were excommunicated. That's plenty of time to change their minds about being angry, especially if Robot's been ignoring them like the comic has.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

maltesh posted:

To be fair, it's been over a year in-comic since they were excommunicated. That's plenty of time to change their minds about being angry, especially if Robot's been ignoring them like the comic has.

Robot is probably the one who planted the Boat idea in their head (he was at least involved), and yet they got banished for it. Now the other robots are receiving the fruits of the Seraph's labor (in their opinion), with the promise of Robot eventually getting his own body as well. Easy for them to wonder, "How could the Angel's most faithful disciples be treated this way?"

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I get the impression they're terrified of Annie and trying to point the finger and blame Robot to save themselves and present a scapegoat for their own willing complicity.

I could see this and it could be interesting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sure it was something really interesting and evocative that happened off-screen

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm sure it was something really interesting and evocative that happened off-screen

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Well I didn't expect Robot to be able to talk. Oh boy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just hurry up and make Robot the psychopomp of the New People

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

...goddamnit

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Time to write away all interesting characters for vague non menaces and shittu lana loup romance

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
"but robot-kun, you are so beautiful! ~uguu" 0_0

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Zoya posted:

...goddamnit

... goddamnit they're gonna disappear from the story to fill that role aren't they.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Does Tom not like his core cast anymore?