Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for paying for my own food in front of my husband’s brother?

quote:

I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous to wonder if your an rear end in a top hat about, but please listen on because I am genuinely curious if people think I was in the wrong.

So me (25F) and my husband 30(M) Louis got into a fight two months ago.

It involved him bringing up how he pays for most of my stuff.

For some background Louis’s family believes that the man should pay for his wife’s things.

I only let him pay for my things because he insists on doing it. I am not saying that I am ungrateful, because I truly am grateful.

But I don’t want to have it thrown in my face that he pays for my things so since then I’ve payed for my own stuff just fine.

From time to time he tries but I just stop him and pay for it myself.

Last night we were at dinner with his brother, Micheal(28M). It was time to pay, so I ended up paying for myself.

This morning when I woke up Louis was mad because apparently Micheal has told his other siblings about what happened and joked about it. Louis thinks that because of my pettiness they now see him as “less of a man”.

I truly wasn’t being petty, and I was only doing what I had fell into a habit of which was paying for my own things.

"a bloo bloo bloo my wife paid for her own dinner" -- a strong, manly, macho man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don’t know, that Prudence letter was a weird one. It has vibes of both “future estranged parent who refuses to see their own wrongdoings” as well as “daughter ruined her own marriage and is sweeping it under the rug to avoid looking bad.”

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
WIBTA for skipping my husband’s grandma’s Christmas to avoid his sister… because she left human feces and urine in my house?

quote:

My sister-in-law “Katy”(23f) lived with my husband and I for about a year. She was living with their grandma “Diane” but they had a falling out so we offered her the upstairs, rent free. It’s just a single bedroom up there so she had the upstairs all to herself, we only used it for storage. She paid nothing, only bought her own food but was also welcome to use our food too. This was suppose to last a few months while she saved money for an apartment.

Only house rule we had was Katy couldn’t bring people over without notice or when no one was home and NEVER to spend the night. No curfew or anything silly like that. During her stay, her boyfriend ended up homeless, she begged us to let him stay, even offered to pay rent. We said no. The boyfriend was a complete stranger to us.

Katy’s stay had issues, like her losing her job, constantly needing money from us, and just not taking care of herself. After her being jobless and living on food stamps and our help for 6 months, we finally said she had to find somewhere to go because it was clear we weren’t helping her find independence. She finally moved out to stay with her boyfriend’s sister. That didn’t last long as she’s at Diane’s again, I have no idea why but I can guess.

While Katy was with us, we never went upstairs EVER. We respected her privacy and had no reason to be there. The day she left I went upstairs to find garbage bags everywhere, old food all over the floor, the floor was sticky, it smelled… I didn’t spend long looking, didn’t even walk through the door, just left it for my husband to see when he got home from work. Husband took a deeper look… he found the following…
  • trash bags with HUMAN feces in them
  • at least 10 gallon jugs full of urine
  • a tote with cat littler and an unidentifiable sludge we guessed was human feces and urine
While leaving this is horrible, I realized something else… Katy must have snuck her boyfriend into the house and he was living up there with her, peeing in jugs and pooping in bags because he couldn’t come downstairs to use the bathroom or risk being caught by us. It’s the only thing that makes sense. She had no reason not to use the bathroom downstairs and she wouldn’t be able to pee in the jugs without a funnel.

Now Diane is mad at me because I won’t “put on my big girl panties” to play nice with Katy so she can have a nice Christmas. My husband is going but I just can’t. I tried to talk to Katy, she apologized in text for “the state of the room” but didn’t admit to what she’d done for it to end up that way even when asked directly. Her reason was she was depressed. If she had told the truth I would play nice for the sake of Diane, I would suffer through Christmas quietly and most likely drunk, but I don’t think I’ll be able to look at her…

WIBTA for not going so Diane can have a happy family Christmas?

look, are you going to hold that "shitbags" thing against your sister-in-law forever? it's time to grow up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's the side no one ever talks about with hider in the house situations...what do they do with all that poop? Well, now you know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Yeah it's an honest mistake, I think 90% of my reports ever are asking for changes to the raised by wolves thread title in TV IV lol so I'd probably do the same here by accident.

My girlfriend (26F) criticizes me (25M) in the form of jokes instead of just being straightforward with me.

Everything else about our relationship is honestly like a fairytale

Except for the part where she doesn't really like you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you know it hurts more to hold a grudge about bags of feces than it does to let go of your experience with bags of feces

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for exposing my coworker's bathroom habits?

gently caress TERFs, now and forever

no op squating isnt wierd dont listen to reddit. public bathrooms are disgusting squating is a safety skill.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITA for no longer responding to my friend‘s medical emergencies?

quote:

I (30F) have been friends with my friend Mary (27F) for roughly 5 years. We’re completely different people who met at work and somehow became pretty close friends.

Three years into our friendship, Mary started becoming sick. No one really knew what was going on, but it all escalated into her passing out at work and needing ambulance to get to a hospital. I could sense she was scared because she didn’t know what was wrong with her. I took it extremely serious and stood by her side through it all. Whenever she texted or called me because of her medical emergency, aka her being scared to collapse or faint randomly, I’d immediately answer and go see her. I spent many days by her side and often spent all day accompanying her until her husband or a direct family member took over.

This all went on for roughly a year, until she was finally diagnosed with severe anxiety and a panic disorder. She did get it treated through therapy and returned to a new “normal”, being able to do things alone again. In the meantime, my life had changed drastically, I found a new job, met my now husband, and we moved into our own place. Naturally, we hadn’t seen and spoken much during that time because I was so busy.

Anyway, I found out that Mary’s condition had gotten worse recently when she called me in the middle of the night, asking me to accompany her until her husband would be back from work. I did go to see her and upon asking her why therapy was no longer helping, she claimed she quit therapy because she wanted to “get through it on her own”. I asked her if her family knew but she said she didn’t want to worry them, so they don’t know. Her husband knows.

Well, her calls became more frequent again. But this time, it was hard for me to just leave everything and be there for her. At first I was there for her again, but with time, I just didn’t have the energy to do so anymore. Her requests became irrational and more demanding. And while I have sympathy for her and her condition, I see no point in putting up with it if she’s refusing proper medical help, let alone help from her immediate family. I started making up excuses why I couldn’t help her at certain times.

It all boiled down to last thursday, where I got a message from her at 4 AM, asking me to take her to her parents place because she was having a “medical emergency”. I saw the message but I ignored because I just couldn’t take it anymore. In fact, I ghosted her and went back to sleep. The next day I pretended to have slept through her text and found out she had managed to stay at home until her husband got there, but she didn’t fail to make me feel bad for ignoring her messages. She’s giving me the cold shoulder since. I know she’s mad I didn’t answer or help her when she needed me. I do feel guilty but I thought if it really was an emergency she could call an ambulance. So Reddit, AITA for ignoring my friend during another of her medical emergencies?

Edit: typo

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA for skipping my husband’s grandma’s Christmas to avoid his sister… because she left human feces and urine in my house?

look, are you going to hold that "shitbags" thing against your sister-in-law forever? it's time to grow up

You should be dunking on your sister in law every chance you get because that’s the only recompense you’ll see. Loudly and proudly let the whole family know how disgusting she was.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DoubleNegative posted:

Seems like the problem resolved itself?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My husband started acting strangely upon my sister's pregnancy announcement.

quote:

I feel like I'm going crazy here thinking about it. My husband and I were at my parents house for dinner. All was going well. We were talking, laughing and eating. But as soon as my sister got from her seat and announced her pregnancy. I noticed at first that my husband got quiet, didn't get up to congratulate her since the rest of us did, and just kept staring at or towards her I'm not entirely sure. I repeatedly asked if he was okay and he mumbled about feeling a bit sick. That was strange because he was perfectly fine that day. Literally, moments later he started throwing up. Like I had no idea what was happening with him. He sat on the bathroom floor near the toilet just looking down and refusing to let me help him up to wash his face. I kept asking him if he was okay but no response. My family were worried about him and I had to take him home. I checked his temp and blood pressure but all were normal. Still complete silence on his part. He went to sleep shortly after and in the early morning at 5:30. I woke up to the sound of him crying in the shower. I rushed in asking if he was okay but still no response other than tell me he needed a minute with himself.

I almost lost it demanding he explain what was going on and he told me he was just feeling overwhelmed...from what?!?! He's not the type who gets stressed out from work or anything of the sort. This is just so strange and out of character of him. He got dressed and left then refused to even talk about it.

I can't help but feel like this reaction was trigged by my sister's pregnancy announcement since this is all started right after she made it. What makes me feel so horrible is the fact that my sister once implied that my husband was her type and hoped to get someone like him. She has a boyfriend btw. This could be nothing but I can't shake this weird feeling about what happened.

Just give him a minute lady, some men have strong reactions to finding out they're going to be a father!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hughlander posted:

Just give him a minute lady, some men have strong reactions to finding out they're going to be a father!

I refuse to believe this is real because how could anyone be so obtuse

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DoubleNegative posted:

i want to get through this on my own, which is why you need to come over at 4 am every day

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ayndin posted:

Also not to draw out the self-published textbook thing longer,

Semi related, but the textbook chat made me google my old genetics professor, see if he'd finally published his lifes work. Gonna doxx myself a bit.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Diversity-Bernard-Charles-Lamb-ebook/dp/B016LSZI74

He spent years researching it, and taking various measurements from his undergrads (He was notorious for plying Asian students with vodka so he could photograph their red flushes). As he was a terrible lecturer, I'm perversely pleased to find out his lifes work is so completely poo poo. Its awfully written, and he literally has headings about racial quotas and "Political correctness gone wrong", and freely uses Negroid and mongoloid. Annoyingly, he's also got lots of written accounts from undergrads, who would have no idea what kind of book they were going into.

At the time he seemed a nice old man past his prime at a top ten uni.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I refuse to believe this is real because how could anyone be so obtuse

It's a pretty common defense mechanism when the obvious answer involves being betrayed by someone you trust in a way that will upend your entire life. It takes a minute to comprehend, and she is literally posting as a sanity check, probably expecting a harsh dose of reality, but hoping against hope that there exists a less horrible explanation.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for paying for my own food in front of my husband’s brother?

"a bloo bloo bloo my wife paid for her own dinner" -- a strong, manly, macho man

Not only that but he is responsible for this outcome since he was complaining that he pays for everything. Another case of "You need to start paying for things yourself. Why did you pay for things yourself and embarass me?" toxic masculinity trap.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DoubleNegative posted:

The only thing OP did wrong was fail to say "I thought you wanted to get through it in your own." I mean, I have anxiety and it's been bad sometimes but my response was to up my meds. Jesus.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

snergle posted:

no op squating isnt wierd dont listen to reddit. public bathrooms are disgusting squating is a safety skill.

the weird posture it requires to hover over a western style toilet can literally lead to actual physical problems with the pelvic floor muscles. if you're gonna insist on squatting then fine but you better do your kegels or you'll start pissing yourself. it's also gross because it's more likely to get piss on the seat so thanks for leaving that for other people to clean up. you could just wipe the goddamn toilet seat off and sit like a human, alternately - you aren't going to catch anything from sitting on it, you can literally just wipe it clean with some toilet paper before you sit down and it will be fine

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

limp_cheese posted:

Not only that but he is responsible for this outcome since he was complaining that he pays for everything. Another case of "You need to start paying for things yourself. Why did you pay for things yourself and embarass me?" toxic masculinity trap.

No no, what he actually said/meant was "You need to let me keep paying for all your things so that I remain in a position of power and can use that leverage to control you."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

InediblePenguin posted:

the weird posture it requires to hover over a western style toilet can literally lead to actual physical problems with the pelvic floor muscles. if you're gonna insist on squatting then fine but you better do your kegels or you'll start pissing yourself. it's also gross because it's more likely to get piss on the seat so thanks for leaving that for other people to clean up. you could just wipe the goddamn toilet seat off and sit like a human, alternately - you aren't going to catch anything from sitting on it, you can literally just wipe it clean with some toilet paper before you sit down and it will be fine

You just gotta stand on the seat itself then squat, duh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Why would I bother strengthening my leg muscles when I can just carry my own toilet seat with me wherever I go

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
OP needs to master the Toilet Paper Seat Condom

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why public toilets are the one area where the women's facilities are often far more disgusting than the men's. It's not just for a piss that women squat.. poo poo from arsehole to breakfast time. Also, you don't want to touch the bin flap to open it for your menstruation products, nope just throw that bad boy right there on the ground beside the bin is perfectly acceptable. Think that is unsightly? just fling it over the wall. Wel done, you have left the stall you were in free from the evidence of having a period without opening the bin.

I haven't done much public toilet cleaning, but it has been character building.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

You just gotta stand on the seat itself then squat, duh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A sweet update to a maddening post.

Original post
AITA for yelling at my mom that I hate Harry Potter and to LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE

quote:

As my title suggests, my mom is a huge Harry Potter nut. She and my dad actually met in a harry potter “IRC” (like Disord but for old people) in the early 00s got married had kids and from day one decided to embarrass us for life by naming us after some Harry Potter and Star Wars characters.

It’s honestly been hell. I have a stupid name and since we were little my parents have forced stuff like Harry Potter, Star Wars, marvel movies, etc etc down our throats. Everything is about dragons and magic and blah blah blah. I’m so sick of it. Every birthday every holiday everything is just organized around “fandom.”

So just like every Christmas the days leading up to Christmas we have to sit down every night and watch Harry Potter movies. It’s. So. loving. BORING!!!! I can usually get away with knitting or drawing on my Ipad during this but this year my mom was like “let’s just have a technology and distraction free night every night”
[snip]

UPDATE: AITA for yelling at my mom that I hate Harry Potter and to LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE

quote:

Hi so I ended up moving in with Missy’s family for a few months because it was all too much. It was really nice, but I ended up moving back out because I did miss my family if you can believe it.

Missy’s Mom helped me figure out how to talk to my Mom and Dad and we sat down to air out everything. It really seemed like they were finally ready to let me be my own person and back off and also that thing about the family making memories that DON’T have to do with fandom. They said all those things were so important to them they wanted to share them.

For my birthday they took us all to Arches like I always wanted. On the road trip there we listened to a fantasy young adult book that they all wanted to hear. I didn’t want to but they were doing a nice thing for me so I didn’t complain. It wasn’t bad, but I still don’t like fantasy. But lots of you told me to just try with an open mind and when you're driving through the desert you kind of have to.

When we got to Arches I felt really emotional like when you have a really good day and you’re waiting for the sun to set and everything to get dark again because that’s what feels comfortable. But then I ate so much pizza my face smelled like cheese and I felt a little better.

On the ride home when it was just me and Dad awake said he was happy I had come home and he hopes we can all get along better now and that I don’t feel so much anger towards them.

But as time went on things all went back and that’s just how my family is. It’s what my siblings are happy with and what my mom and dad like. And it’s not my place to tell them not to be who they are.

So I ended up making a big decision and the reason that I wanted to pick now to write this update is that I am going to college in Colorado. I received my early acceptance a few days ago and I feel like I can breathe again. Not just that but I will be starting a new life with a new first name. One my mom helped me choose that has nothing to do with any media at all.

I will be able to branch out and be myself but I’ll still be a car ride away from my nerdy parents for when I miss mom’s hugs and dad’s meatball subs.

And that’s all I really wanted 🙂

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Troublemaker posted:

What the gently caress was up Prudence's rear end on this one?
The same thing as every time, Prudence was replaced not too long ago and the new one - I believe a former NYT editor* - has the absolute worst responses to every question, and continually gets dunked on by their own comments section and “poll the readership” days.

*if that doesn’t tell you how consistently bafflingly ignorant you should expect New Prude to be, I envy your disconnection from US Politics

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The squatter is facing the wrong way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why public toilets are the one area where the women's facilities are often far more disgusting than the men's. It's not just for a piss that women squat.. poo poo from arsehole to breakfast time. Also, you don't want to touch the bin flap to open it for your menstruation products, nope just throw that bad boy right there on the ground beside the bin is perfectly acceptable. Think that is unsightly? just fling it over the wall. Wel done, you have left the stall you were in free from the evidence of having a period without opening the bin.

Back at the design studio, the office was a big open area with our desks in it, surrounded by meeting spaces. From my desk I could see the bathrooms. One day, our recruiter, came stalking out of the wemen's, and was obviously headed my way. She comes up, looking both pissed-off and completely disappointed, and tells me she needs a mailing list for the women in the office and she needs it now. I did not ask a thing, I didn't want to know.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA? Forced my parents to change their holiday plans to accommodate our xmas present to them

quote:

My mum and step-dad got married earlier this year. It was a big affair and was in a place very special to them.

For xmas, my sisters and I all decided to chip in and get them a one night stay at that place on their anniversary. They'll be staying in the same bridal suite they did before, they'll have a bottle of champagne in their room, and our grandparents are getting them a lovely dinner in the restaurant there. We also thought they'd like to wander about the place they got married exactly one year prior and visit the on-site church they said their vows in.

We were convinced our parents wouldn't have made any solid plans for their anniversary so close to xmas and they hadn't mentioned anything to us so we didn't get the refundable option as it was an extra £50 that we just couldn't afford.

After booking, we found out we were all inheriting a decent portion of money. It isn't a lot, but it's enough to go on a fancy, 2-week trip abroad. And that's exactly what they decided to do. They told us last week they're spending their anniversary in the same place they spent their honeymoon in.

We asked if they'd booked it yet, which they said they hadn't, they'd only booked the holidays off work. We tried to explain that we've already booked them something non-refundable for their anniversary and could they change their dates? My mum considered it but my step-dad can be quite a stubborn man and he absolutely refused to change the dates. My mum was very torn but stuck with my step-dad and said they wouldn't change them.

We got quite frustrated and I ended up messaging my mum telling her they've basically ruined their xmas present if they don't change their dates, that they've dropped this on us 2 weeks before xmas and we dont have the time or money to find a new present for them and we're going to lose out on a lot of money because it's non-refundable. She never replied to this message.

I touched base with my sister yesterday to see how things are going. She told me they've changed their holiday dates but it's not good. Apparently, they'd basically done everything but book their holiday. They'd had meetings with a travel agent, got a whole package sorted and discounts applied, they had planned it completely without mentioning it to any of us. They then tried to change the dates twice, but each time they changed them they found out someone else already had those dates off work (idk why they didn't check before deciding). They've settled on new dates now but lost out on certain aspects of the holiday because of this and my step-dad especially is acting very unhappy about the whole thing. My sister now thinks we pushed them too far and they are not going to enjoy our gift.

So, Are we the arsehole for forcing my parents to change their holiday plans because we already bought them a xmas present that happens on the same day?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Funktastic posted:

AITA? Forced my parents to change their holiday plans to accommodate our xmas present to them

quote:

we didn't get the refundable option as it was an extra £50 that we just couldn't afford

How do you get through booking an entire surprise anniversary trip for someone but not have another 50 ukbux in case things go south? Was their bridal suite a cardboard box?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hughlander posted:

Not real, never mentioned their own family situation.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Funktastic posted:

(idk why they didn't check before deciding)

They obviously should have checked with people before deciding on dates says person who bought a trip for someone yet never once asked if they were free on the date. :lol:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

quote:

r/relationships: I ate so much pizza my face smelled like cheese and I felt a little better.

That's probably too long, isn't it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

They obviously should have checked with people before deciding on dates says person who bought a trip for someone yet never once asked if they were free on the date. :lol:

Right, "their wedding was a whole big thing, I'm sure they won't plan anything for the first anniversary, better make nonrefundable plans for them".

Just terrible thinking all around.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A sweet update to a maddening post.

quote:

“IRC” (like Disord but for old people)

Ok, listen here

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CitizenKain posted:

Ok, listen here

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

AITA for not wanting my friend’s little sister to crash our D&D campaign?

quote:

I (M22) have a tight friendship group with R, L & V (all M22). We met at our local D&D club and have been hanging out for years.

We’ve been doing this great campaign for about a month now, & we’d been planning to have our campaign finale (with themed snacks, drinks and decorations) in V’s apartment - he has the biggest cos he shares with his gf. V also lives with his little sister A (F11), after his mom died a few years ago.

The plan had been for his gf to look after A at her parents place, but day of he messages us saying that she can’t babysit anymore because her mom fell on some ice and was in the hospital. He offered that we could either rearrange or we could do it with A there, she’d just play video games in the background.

Immediately L and R say they don’t have an issue with her being there and we could even make her her own character for the campaign. I couldn’t understand this though? It was meant to be just us, and putting in a random new character in the finale would ruin it. Plus, A is super clingy to V, so I knew it would take his attention off the campaign if she was there.

I asked V if he couldn’t find an alternative babysitter before the evening so we could still do it as planned. He said he didn’t want to put A with someone she didn’t know so last minute for something easily rearrangeable because he knew it would upset her.

I got annoyed then at him calling our event ‘rearrangeable’ and called him out on it. He said I had to be joking if I thought a D&D campaign was more important to him than his little sisters comfort. I said I obviously wasn’t saying that, but I wasn’t prepared to have our night turned into free babysitting.

V said he had already offered to rearrange, and that I was free to host myself sometime if I had such a problem with his sister. This was uncalled for because he knows I can’t host because I don’t have the time or space to prepare / clean them up.

L and R both privately messaged me and basically said I was the only one who cared, and that we should be sympathetic to Vs situation. I have a lot of respect for V, but I still don’t see why he couldn’t have just put A with a babysitter for an evening so our plans didn’t get ruined, or why his gf couldn’t take her to the hospital too. How is not wanting some random child at our game night an issue?

They ended up hanging out that night (I was invited but I didn’t go) and doing a one-shot campaign, which also annoyed me because we always play D&D together.

My mom thinks I was an AH because V is ‘raising a child by himself’, but he has money from his inheritance and gets help from his gfs family, so he isn’t ‘alone’. My brothers agree that I’m not TA here because V shouldn’t baby A so much that he won’t put her with a babysitter.

I want some reassurance on this so I’ve come here lol. AITA?

Lol at this guy for thinking his plans should be in any way a priority here.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: don't forget to do the "together for 3 years, lived together for 2" math if you missed it

shocker that the dude turned out to be a clinger, i never would have guessed

I guess it's not impossible that the daughter is actually the piece of work the post makes her out to be, but it is extremely unlikely.

"My child is setting boundaries and giving ultimatums" and "we were never told the reason why" are the textbook red flags of a parent who still views children as their property, and not individuals with agency. The mom has absolutely been told in no uncertain terms why she should butt the gently caress out of her daughter's relationships, but for some reason those details are shrouded in fog and the only things she remembers clearly are the daughter yelling at her ex and not wanting to talk about it, because those are the only details that don't reflect poorly on the parent. Prudence's venom is wholly warranted.
Thanks for saying this better than I could. The big thing to note is that OP doesn't understand why her daughter doesn't want her to have anything to do with her ex.

There's also this line: "Today she found out I had “liked” a Facebook post of her ex-husband about his new relationship with his new girlfriend. (In no way have I hidden I was still his friend on FB, etc.) Once again, she came after me, demanding I unfriend him. “It’s him or me” were her exact words. I unfriended him. But at this point, I am exhausted from her demands, or really, just the disrespectful way she gives them to me. I do not talk to her ex or have any relationship with him. I have no idea why they divorced or any specific issues, as that was part of her first set of demands she laid down. Is it really so awful to remain FB friends with an ex of one of your children? She has told me, angrily, I should know that and am intentionally disrespecting her. I contend they were eager for us to develop a bond with this person when they first introduced us. We did as we came get to know them. They had time to realize the relationship was going to end. We did not. And were never privy to any reasons why."

So . . .

-OP did "not talk to her ex or have any relationship with him" but was also Facebook friends with him

-OP thought that her daughter wanted them to "develop a bond with this person when they first introduced," therefore she had no right to tell them to end the relationship when the marriage ended

-OP thought it was unfair that they were expected to drop their relationship with the ex when they hadn't had any foreknowledge of the divorce and couldn't prepare emotionally, and they're still friends with the ex a year later

I wonder if there are kids involved and the ex gives OP more access than her daughter does.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
AITA for using religion to get an “accommodation” at work

quote:

I 28F) moved to the US last year. About 2 months ago I started at a new company. It is relevant that I am a practicing Muslim, and that I wear Hijab (so visibly Muslim).

I share an office with a man. The office is very small and the window does not open. Also the office has opaque walls and a wooden door (relevant).

My office mate insists on having the door closed all the time, he says it helps reduce the noise. I would not have a problem with it, except my office mate stinks.

To be fair to him, I don’t think it’s from a lack of hygiene, in the morning he would smell fine, but two hours into the work day, I would get headaches from how bad his sweat smells. And he sweats a lot.

I tried my best to get him to leave the door open, at least that way the fresh air would disperse the smell, but no dice. I tried talking with HR about the situation, but all they came up with was that he had a medical condition and they could do nothing about it.

I sympathize with the dude, I really do, and he is good people, but I just can’t handle the smell anymore, so I went to HR and told them that per my religion, I can’t be in an isolated space with a man I am not married to. Which is 100% true, it’s not like I made it up. So I told them they either had to move my desk, or the door should be open all the time.

They don’t have the space, so they told him that he is no longer allowed to close the door if we are both there. And finally I could go through the whole workday without having a headache.

But now he is pissed at me, and is calling me an AH for pulling the religion card to get my way. So AITA?

Most commenters are on OP’s side, but there are a couple of gems:

OP posted:

I mean, I didn’t like that I was in an inclosed space with him, I just didn’t know how to bring it up. I didn’t want people to start saying my religiousness is weird (which happened in my last job, because I used to have to pray in the break room).

quote:

That would make me so uncomfortable. I go to the break room to chill, not to watch someone else pray. Even if it is for 10 mins, why do you get special treatment for this? Can’t you pray in a non-public space like a car?

quote:

If a person cannot work in a normal way in a modern workforce due to religious beliefs, onus of finding segregated enough setting should be on them.

Religious accommodations must be reasonable, not actively harmful to others.

Even better would be navigating the situation with honesty, as this guy seems to have condition of some kind, but I admit that bringing up body odour is extremely difficult.

quote:

have an office with a door that can be closed, and I dislike open floor plan work spaces because it harms my concentration.

I understand why this colleague is annoyed.

Religion should not seep into work interactions, and why that is an acceptable reason to accommodate but not illness is beyond me.

Maybe religion is an easy way out to target others, but the company should have tackled the body odour issue. Is OP not going to accept individual feedback from male managers? Will this reasoning be an acceptable way for male religious colleague to exclude women from team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It still just sounds like way too much weight on facebook friends. I have hundreds of them, not sure I know all of them, I check it about twice a year, sometime miss a year. The person that I remember who had a tight group of manicured friends on Facebook was my mate's dad. He decided on five friends. If he seen a friend request that he liked the look of, he unfriended the oldest friend on his list. His own daughter got unfriended this way.