Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, there's a reason Nazis love that whole blood and soil chant.

Except when it's not old stock Canadian blood in the soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Christ, first you people want farmers to not abuse their immediate family members for labour, and now you also want them to not abuse foreigners??? What do you have against the poor hardworking farmers??? It's extremely difficult to exploit labour this thoroughly, not to mention the emotional distress of one of the children getting killed by farm machinery every now and again.

Remember when applying labour safety standards was going to be the death of the Albertan farm?

Good times. I wonder what Hall_2005 is up to these days?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So the ANDP thinks they can balance the Alberta Provincial budget by 2024, here's the kicker

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-budget-2018-2019-1.4588050

quote:

The plan rests on the assumption the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion from Edmonton to Burnaby -- currently facing legal challenges from First Nations and environmental groups plus opposition from B.C.'s NDP government -- will get built.

The government is also factoring in revenue from the Enbridge Line 3 and Keystone XL projects.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Remember when applying labour safety standards was going to be the death of the Albertan farm?

Yes, that was indeed the reference I was making.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

DariusLikewise posted:

So the ANDP thinks they can balance the Alberta Provincial budget by 2024, here's the kicker

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-budget-2018-2019-1.4588050

All the monetary projections I've ever seen on the trans mountain expansion are super optimistic at best.

This feels like a political play to blame outside actors for the fact that they don't balance the budget. Realistically, the issue is mostly that Alberta's tax structure is still silly and doesn't bring in enough income.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Old white people are mad. Really, really mad.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 23, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
well, that is one way to improve conservative turnout.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn, Pallister was mad as hell this morning on CJOB here. :lol: Getting loving phased by 2 morons on morning radio. :lol:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mad enough to not vote for free drugs? https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/03/20/wynne-to-expand-free-pharmacare-program-to-seniors.html

I'm going to put a Vote Skynet sign on my lawn for this one I think

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm convinced that Jerry Agar is a satire character, like Colbert was.

At least, that's what I tell myself whenever I hear something he says. gently caress that guy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm convinced that Jerry Agar is a satire character, like Colbert was.

At least, that's what I tell myself whenever I hear something he says. gently caress that guy.

He's a cartoon, even if he comes by it earnestly.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Mad enough to not vote for free drugs? https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/03/20/wynne-to-expand-free-pharmacare-program-to-seniors.html

I'm going to put a Vote Skynet sign on my lawn for this one I think

You could vote NDP again, who would know?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

some idiot posted:

First, it is ageist. To suggest that old and young people may not have the same party and policies in mind on election day is presumptuous at best.
Hahaha

quote:

Perhaps minorities are just as concerned about hydro rates and the disappearance of manufacturing jobs in Ontario as old white people.
Hahahahaha holy gently caress.

quote:

Perhaps Wynne could make up for her insult by creating a “safe space” for older white people who were “triggered” by her comments.
Wait, is this guy trolling?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Yes? I mean he writes OpEds for the Sun so 100% yes, but probably not quite in the way he thinks he is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

He's an old, he doesn't really know what the world is like any more.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Agar also hosts a talk radio show in Toronto. I don't listen to it much, but I heard him really get into it with Patrick Brown's PR lady once after he promised to do an in-studio interview with him and then bailed 2 minutes to air time. He wasn't bad then, strong questions and such, but that Sun piece is pretty standard fare.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

You could vote NDP again, who would know?

Maybe. Does ONDP just not update their website often or do they only have candidates in 45 out of 107 ridings nominated so far?

https://www.ontariondp.ca/candidates

Green party has 42, https://gpo.ca/find-candidate/

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Arivia posted:

He's an old, he doesn't really know what the world is like any more.

Hey Arivia, would you say you are just as concerned about hydro rates as an old white dude?

I can't stop laughing at how dumb this guy is. Like, yes, selling off hydro was dumb as gently caress, but it's not like the Conservatives wouldn't have done the same, so does he want everyone to vote NDP? If an extra $20/month on your hydro bill is going to break your budget, the Conservatives are the last party you should consider voting for.

Edit: my phone tried to autocorrect your name to Alicia.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Hey Arivia, would you say you are just as concerned about hydro rates as an old white dude?

I can't stop laughing at how dumb this guy is. Like, yes, selling off hydro was dumb as gently caress, but it's not like the Conservatives wouldn't have done the same, so does he want everyone to vote NDP? If an extra $20/month on your hydro bill is going to break your budget, the Conservatives are the last party you should consider voting for.

Maybe we would be able to bring down hydro rates if our politicians weren't constantly thinking about anal sex.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn, Pallister was mad as hell this morning on CJOB here. :lol: Getting loving phased by 2 morons on morning radio. :lol:

I noticed that the PC Social Media team posted attack ads on Facebook and Twitter shortly after Wab went after Pallister for the Hydro board resignations a couple days ago. I think they are all reeling pretty hard especially after the reception of the budget was lukewarm at best

The Conservatives forced an all night vote-a-thon in Parliament as protest that Trudeau isn't talking about what was done behind closed doors about Atwall. I'm really looking forward to Andrew Scheer just saying the words "Atwal Affair" like how Trump would whisper "Benghazi" every once and awhile when debating.

https://twitter.com/kady/status/977161473817378817

https://twitter.com/kady/status/977161665841004544

https://twitter.com/kady/status/977161980996808707

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe. Does ONDP just not update their website often or do they only have candidates in 45 out of 107 ridings nominated so far?

They’re bad at elections.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jimbozig posted:

Never mind Conservatives would have done the same thing, they started the whole process by opening the energy market to competition under ( you guessed it ) Premier Mike Harris.

In fact, I would argue that ending Ontario Hydros monopoly in 1995 (2002 really before the market really opened) made the privatization inevitable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Democracy: the system by which the people get the government they deserve.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I stand corrected, maybe you can't vote NDP.

Comedy option, run as the NDP candidate in your riding. Two terms and you get a sweet-rear end pension.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Democracy: the system by which the people get the government they deserve.

I can't argue with this anymore. The weird part is that I've become somewhat well to do since the last Conservative government.

So while I still argue for progressive policies and vote NDP, I'm voting somewhat against my own interest.

Meanwhile, conservative governments are elected largely by the poor and working classes who then immediately turn around and screw them over with austerity policies. I'll defend progressive policies to anyone, but I'm done with feeling emotionally affected by the plight of classes who refuse to vote in their own interests.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps Wynne could make up for her insult by creating a “safe space” for older white people who were “triggered” by her comments.

You heard them folks, start rounding up the fuckers

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I stand corrected, maybe you can't vote NDP.

Comedy option, run as the NDP candidate in your riding. Two terms and you get a sweet-rear end pension.

Being associated with my post history is probably the only thing that could make the ondp less credible.

Reince Penis posted:

I'm done with feeling emotionally affected by the plight of classes who refuse to vote in their own interests.

How dare poor people not vote themselves homeless in order to help Ontario be a role model towards stopping the planet's temperature rising by 1%.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

How dare poor people not vote themselves homeless in order to help Ontario be a role model towards stopping the planet's temperature rising by 1%.

You're approaching @realdonaldtrump levels of incoherence here dude

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be honest though, no party actually has rural interests in mind. The liberals ignore them and the cons promise rurals the world before also ignoring them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

From the Globe: Doug Ford will need to cut about $25 Billion of government spending during his term, thanks to taking the axe to the People's Guarantee

Being innumerate, this does not concern him.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

You say that as if this wasn't his goal all along.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reince Penis posted:

You're approaching @realdonaldtrump levels of incoherence here dude

Poor people vote in their own short term interest. Poor rurals vote conservative because they're on the edge financially and can't afford to retrofit energy efficient devices and their bills shot from $100 to $400 in 6 years, they don't care that it's in the name of fighting emissions which will make a big difference by 2050 when they can't afford the bill today. Rationalizing why you have zero empathy for an entire class of people because they're too dumb to vote in their own long term self interest seems kind of douchey, like being the i told you so guy when a smoker gets lung cancer.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The right: fucks over poor people, rurals, and basically everyone but moneyed interests while paying lip service to rurals, the elderly, and poors, using language they can identify with

The left: fucks over poor people, rurals, and basically everyone but moneyed interests while paying lip service to urbans, young adults, and poors, but using academic language they often don't understand

And yet you get mad when people 'vote against their best interests'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

The right: fucks over poor people, rurals, and basically everyone but moneyed interests while paying lip service to rurals, the elderly, and poors, using language they can identify with

The left: fucks over poor people, rurals, and basically everyone but moneyed interests while paying lip service to urbans, young adults, and poors, but using academic language they often don't understand

And yet you get mad when people 'vote against their best interests'

The capital-L Liberals are pretty far from "the left"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

using academic language they often don't understand

Wrong; they clearly patronize people by assuming they're too stupid to understand anything, like the minister for democracy or whatever the gently caress her title was, displaying the mean-squared error formula like it's some kind of loving voodoo. Of the many flaws with the Liberals, overestimating the intelligence of their constituents isn't one of them.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what left you're talking about Joven the Liberals are pretty clearly a centre-right party.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Until the NDP pulls their heads out of their asses and stops campaigning from the middle, they don't even show up on the radar, at least at the federal level.

At the provincial level they seem to be afflicted by a serious case of 'act like giant pieces of poo poo just like all the other parties' and giving up what ground they've gained, what with what's been happening in regards to the NDP in BC refusing to do anything to really disrupt the real estate calamity, the NDP in Alberta shilling loving oil, the NDP in Manitoba just, well, kinda floundering a bit and the NDP everywhere else also not being on the radar.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I can't speak for Manituber, but the ONDP has a pretty compelling, if expensive, platform this time out. What they don't have are enough candidates.

Leofish posted:

You say that as if this wasn't his goal all along.

When The Globe starts nervously tugging their collar and pointing out that your plan will basically level the province, you know you're on to something.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Politics is about compromise. Purity tests are the death of the left.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

What's happened in the States over the last 6-8 years has really shaken my opinion of that first point.

The second still stands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Reince Penis posted:

Pretty much. It's basically impossible for a ton of people I know to identify as a member of the left these days because not subscribing to the most leftist woke bae position on one loving thing and you get labelled a racist sexist everythingophobic turbo hitler. People who should be working together are eaver increasingly at each others throats.

Just like what happens basically daily in this very thread.