Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I've been trying to get more into the Youth Attack! catalog recently. I already know and love Aerosols, Cult Ritual, and Hoax, but is there anything else out there with that same gritty sound?

Also, I'm looking to get into more skramz/screamo/whatever. Things like Orchid or Loma Prieta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Didn't see anything on the last couple pages, but is anyone getting Pierce the Veil's new album? Their label is streaming the entire thing on youtube. Pretty cool for a band to be that open with putting their music up. You don't see that too often.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 17, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Anyone else going to the Rotting Out/Bane/Terror show in Atlanta next weekend?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

Friends Are Evil posted:

I've been trying to get more into the Youth Attack! catalog recently. I already know and love Aerosols, Cult Ritual, and Hoax, but is there anything else out there with that same gritty sound?

Also, I'm looking to get into more skramz/screamo/whatever. Things like Orchid or Loma Prieta.

Salvation and Failures are pretty great. Just go ahead and listen to all the Youth Attack stuff if that's your style.

As far as screamo: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/screamo-skramz-steez.php

I'm only posting that because I'm lazy and it's basically a list of screamo I like.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Propagandhi have signed to Epitaph for the September release of Failed States.
One of the songs available for listen here.
http://soundcloud.com/epitaph-records/propagandhi-failed-states/s-msLZw
Thrashtasm.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Top Shelf sent emails saying something went wrong with the Prawn test pressings so it'll be delayed but they sent the mp3 codes. Sounds awesome :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new Gaslight Anthem is floating around and I can't tell if I just need more time for it like I did with American Slang or if them being sorta one-note is more glaringly obvious than ever before. Either way, I'm bored.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
You're mean :( I just saw them play in Chapel Hill last night and they loving owned bones.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I think at this point it's pretty well established what to expect from Gaslight, they've done a pretty good job of defining a sound for themselves. It's definitely fair to be bored of their style, but it's what everybody should come to expect from them at this point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of it is because they explored pretty much every possible avenue of their sound with the first three albums - Sink and Swim is very punk, American Slang is mostly blues, and 59 Sound is a good middle ground - so now they essentially have nothing to do but repeat themselves. There are definitely some awesome songs on the album ('Howl' especially stood out) but at the moment it's really not holding my interest as much as I'd like.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bown posted:

I think a lot of it is because they explored pretty much every possible avenue of their sound with the first three albums - Sink and Swim is very punk, American Slang is mostly blues, and 59 Sound is a good middle ground - so now they essentially have nothing to do but repeat themselves. There are definitely some awesome songs on the album ('Howl' especially stood out) but at the moment it's really not holding my interest as much as I'd like.

The first bonus track has a certain energy that's missing from most of the album. Haven't had a chance to listen to the other two yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're both covers anyway. And the Sliver one feels a little too straightforward.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
The band that I joined 4 months ago or so The Haverchucks is doing a split with Direct Hit! and we just our mastered tracks back so be on the lookout for that split soon since I know Direct Hit! Is pretty popular around these parts. Also one of my other bands Unholy Thoughts is releasing our LP on Wednesday on Forcefield Records with the Euro release being handled by Even Worse Records so check us out on bandcamp and hopefully we will playing shows around you all soon when I get my legal situation all taken care of.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

The band that I joined 4 months ago or so The Haverchucks is doing a split with Direct Hit! and we just our mastered tracks back so be on the lookout for that split soon since I know Direct Hit! Is pretty popular around these parts. Also one of my other bands Unholy Thoughts is releasing our LP on Wednesday on Forcefield Records with the Euro release being handled by Even Worse Records so check us out on bandcamp and hopefully we will playing shows around you all soon when I get my legal situation all taken care of.
THATs the band yr in???? ( the chux i mean) Duuude ive seen yall play at least 2 or 3 times and had no idea! That's awesome you guys are fuckin awesome

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 23, 2012

AbrahamBurgers
Aug 30, 2007

It's like people only do things because they get paid

answersyouseek posted:

I've never heard your band, but I've definitely seen the stickers around. P cool stickers if you ask me.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I have no idea if this is the thread for it, but I just saw Refused last friday and it was amazing, the opening act was totally solid too even though no one had ever heard of them. Would recommend trying to catch them if you're a fan of not sucking rear end and get the feeling that the band is probably gonna break up again soon.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Bown posted:

The new Gaslight Anthem is floating around and I can't tell if I just need more time for it like I did with American Slang or if them being sorta one-note is more glaringly obvious than ever before. Either way, I'm bored.

I was born in New Jersey. I first saw Gaslight at a tiny pub and walked away a convert. I once waited 2 hours after a show to meet Brian Fallon. I've listened to them constantly, though I don't consider myself a massive fan because unlike some of my friends I don't have Gaslight tattoos. I loved The Horrible Crowes' 'Elise'.

And I still agree with you. I like 'Handwritten', mostly for the lyrics, and I like 'Biloxi Parish'. But it feels too slow and sedate. And I'm not saying this because I'm a punk fan - I love Springsteen and I like Tom Petty. But they seem to be moving closer to The Wallflowers and Counting Crows (who Brian has praised and quoted several times).

Maybe it just needs time to grow on me, but I'm really not feeling Handwritten.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Restorations are touring with The Smith Street Band soon, so I'll see them. I need to check them out.

I missed seeing Ceremony play at a local record store last week because it filled up too quickly. They're great.

I've seen Ceremony twice, they're amazing live. They'll be playing FYF in Los Angeles in September, can't wait.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

stay depressed posted:

THATs the band yr in???? ( the chux i mean) Duuude ive seen yall play at least 2 or 3 times and had no idea! That's awesome you guys are fuckin awesome

I'm in the chux, unholy thoughts, southside stranglers, and devil's hand. Gotta stay busy. I'm glad you dig it. Chux have 2 shows coming up in August on the 3rd at strange matter and the 27th at the camel so try and make it out if you can.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Here's a long, interesting article on Chumbawumba: http://jacobinmag.com/blog/2012/07/chumbawambas-long-voyage/#more-3094

It's good that they explain so much, because those anarcho punks are mysterious.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New track from Title Fight available for download.

Not feeling the vocal style too much, but I remember thinking the same thing about Shed. Musically I think it's very interesting and cool to see them go into an almost shoegaze vibe. Also cool to see that video shot around my hometown.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

Not feeling the vocal style too much, but I remember thinking the same thing about Shed. Musically I think it's very interesting and cool to see them go into an almost shoegaze vibe. Also cool to see that video shot around my hometown.

It almost reminds me of 90s slowcore stuff. Its very good and this band deserves to outgrow their idiot pop punk bro fanbase.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Schremp Howard posted:

I always hated Title Fight but I really really like this

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Didn't see anything on the last couple pages, but is anyone getting Pierce the Veil's new album? Their label is streaming the entire thing on youtube. Pretty cool for a band to be that open with putting their music up. You don't see that too often.

I think it is better than Selfish Machines, but it will be hard to top A Flair For The Dramatic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sirius Sam posted:

I always hated Title Fight but I really really like this

I don't hate Title Fight, but that is the first song of theirs that I've really been into.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't hate Title Fight, but that is the first song of theirs that I've really been into.

I dig it a ton, but I've never listened to anything else. Does their other stuff sound like their name would suggest?

Edit: Oh wow, this is leagues different. Man these guys could just call themselves Cave In Jr. based on how this new song sounds. Hopefully this album isn't as hit-or-miss as Jupiter, because I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remembering being in junior high with some of the guys from Title Fight and loathing them because they were super into Blink 182 and stuff, and this was in the take off your pants era for Blink. I do still like their poppy songs from the Kingston and Last Thing You Forget EPs, but I feel like they have so much more ahead of them. I'm also happy to see them try something new and different, they really do seem to have level heads about the whole things and don't want to pander to a certain audience.

But seriously gently caress the people who just post lyrics to Symmetry all over tumblr and poo poo like that. Given the background a lot of them have, Title Fight deserves better.

It's also kind of surreal to think that even though the people in the band are between 21 and 23, the band has been mostly together for nine years. If it's taken them some time to figure out what kind of music they want to play, I can certainly forgive them for taking so long at such a young age.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 26, 2012

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

Propagandhi have signed to Epitaph for the September release of Failed States.
One of the songs available for listen here.
http://soundcloud.com/epitaph-records/propagandhi-failed-states/s-msLZw
Thrashtasm.

I am so loving excited about this. Seems weird they are putting it out through Epitaph though.

Does anything compare to Propagandhi?

AbrahamBurgers
Aug 30, 2007

It's like people only do things because they get paid

Schremp Howard posted:

God this song is so good. Makes me want to quit music.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

This sounds nothing like the Title Fight I remember; I'm not sure what it sounds like but it makes me think of people standing in darkened rooms, nodding their heads to post-rock. Or getting dragged to see indie bands I barely remember. What's this style called?

Between this and Gaslight Anthem it feels like there are lots of bands under the punk umbrella that are barely punk. Not that that's a bad thing.

Is anyone a fan of Brutal Knights or Neon Piss? Brutal Nights are a rough, funny Canadian punk band that lasted for a bit. Neon Piss are a bit fuzzier: http://neonpiss.bandcamp.com/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That Title Fight song rules. I kept forgetting to check it since I was always on my phone but I'm glad I did :)

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

This sounds nothing like the Title Fight I remember; I'm not sure what it sounds like but it makes me think of people standing in darkened rooms, nodding their heads to post-rock. Or getting dragged to see indie bands I barely remember. What's this style called?

It's kinda spacey/shoegazy, though I wouldn't know exactly what genre to throw it in. The two bands it most reminds me of are Hum and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The new Make Do And Mend album is brutally disappointing.

AbrahamBurgers posted:

God this song is so good. Makes me want to quit music.

No don't :ohdear:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

The new Make Do And Mend album is brutally disappointing.

Really? I think it's super loving excellent, I like it better than End Measured Mile easily.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deadwing posted:

Really? I think it's super loving excellent, I like it better than End Measured Mile easily.

It's just too slow for me. "Count" and "Stay In The Sun" are really good though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2012

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I like the Deftones too, guys.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cf posted:

I like the Deftones too, guys.

I really do like the Deftones :mad:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
But do you guys like Far? I do.

Also Deftones

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
You guys heard of Hum? Also, Deftones!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I think I just bought the most expensive apart shirt. Shirt $11, Shipping $dunno, customs $35 :(