Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Klyith posted:

Yeah, or possibly just give it a few days and see if goes away on its own. It should have some grease applied from the factory so it could just use some action to work it around. That synthetic grease or any generic white lithium grease will do the job.

On a quickfire Rapid those keys will have costar stabilizers, so pay attention to pulling the keys because they don't just come straight off like the other keys. This pictorial shows you how they are put together and some methods to take them off, though I went a different method using small needlenose pliers. Being careful not to bend the wire or break the tabs is the important thing.

Great, thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A friend pointed this out to me:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gravefront posted:

I'm new to this whole keyboard thing, and my neckbeard has a long way to go yet

I usually run with the whole glass-and-brushed-aluminium aesthetic, being a pretentious Apple user

edit sorry, forgot to add a "pretentious" to that

You look a lot more pretentious when you whip out your split ergonomic mechanical keyboard and connect it to your iPad at Starbucks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Geemer posted:

A friend pointed this out to me:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ultra-huge return keys and tiny backspaces would make me cry.

I guarantee it's also incredibly mushy.

Bonus points: extra keys to make you turn your machine off by accident.

yes I know you mean the Comic Sans MS abomination but there were more problems too

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The worst gift I ever got when I was an older teen was a rubber mat keyboard my mom kept guilting me into using.

She stopped pressuring me to use it when I let her borrow it after her OEM Dell keyboard mysteriously broke because a "cat must have spilt water on it."

I'm not even sorry -- I had the cash to buy us both spares.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've owned two rubber mat keyboards. The first one was actually really nice to type on and I could easily hit 90wpm. The second one was total garbage and barely worked at all.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If any Canada goons want a Topre board, NCIX has the ten-keyless Realforce on sale for $40 off.

Still $230 though, so enjoy.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I just ordered this for my Poker II, tried to get as neutral a color as I could so as to not detract from any future color schemes. Looking forward to adding some heft and class to this thing, it'll be super cool when the Honeys arrive, too.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone know which keys are compatible with the Filco Tenkeyless, or anyone who sells keys for them in North America?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know which keys are compatible with the Filco Tenkeyless, or anyone who sells keys for them in North America?

Should be any cherry mx keys.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Moey posted:

Should be any cherry mx keys.

I bought the keyboard at Elite Keyboards a few years ago, and when I noticed they no longer carry or warranty Filco I emailed them and asked them about it - they said they didn't carry any compatible keys or replacement feet bumpers. They carry Cherry MX caps, so I wonder what gives?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Any cherry keycaps will fit individual keys. You get into odd particulars when you take an entire keyboard into account - the width of the spacebar, and width/number of modifier keys will generally be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think the Filcos are made by costar, right? That's one of the most common tenlkeyless keyboards so you shouldn't have any trouble finding replacements. Try signature plastics or WASD keyboards.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Diatec is the manufacturer I think.

Thanks guys.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
All the normal letter-size keys on any cherry keyboard are all the same size, and any will work with any other keyboard. The thing that can be different is the size of keys on the bottom line, the crtl-win-alt-space-alt-win-apps-ctrl line. Those can be different on particular boards.

Filco are costar which use the "standard" sizing, most any aftermarket replacement caps you buy will work. Including
  • Ducky or vortex keysets from mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • Any set from a group buy or reseller selling extra group buy sets like the guy on ebay with colored doubleshots
  • Most sets that aren't specifically labeled or sold buy a company that makes other keyboards

Basically look to see in the pic of the set you want to buy that the modifier keys on that bottom row are all the same size.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Klyith posted:

All the normal letter-size keys on any cherry keyboard are all the same size, and any will work with any other keyboard. The thing that can be different is the size of keys on the bottom line, the crtl-win-alt-space-alt-win-apps-ctrl line. Those can be different on particular boards.

Filco are costar which use the "standard" sizing, most any aftermarket replacement caps you buy will work. Including
  • Ducky or vortex keysets from mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • Any set from a group buy or reseller selling extra group buy sets like the guy on ebay with colored doubleshots
  • Most sets that aren't specifically labeled or sold buy a company that makes other keyboards

Basically look to see in the pic of the set you want to buy that the modifier keys on that bottom row are all the same size.

Thank you. I wish you could train the customer service reps at Elite Keyboards.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Welp just impulse ordered a quick fire rapid with greens from Amazon. Time to join the "more mechanical keyboards than I have computers club":shepspends:. Hella excited for greens after trying them on my CM Storm Switch Tester Board though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Has anyone successfully modded a trackpoint into their keyboard? It's something I'd really like, but I don't want to ruin my nice (expensive) mech board.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
So a few pages back I talked about buying the new Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard.

I've been using it for the past couple days now and I actually think it's pretty nice. The switches themselves seem to be a little quieter than Cherry MX Blues. The whole reset thing seems a little bit noticeable when I play Osu! (super anime rhythm game. think elite beat agents for a computer). The font for the lettering is ugly as hell on this keyboard but other than that, I have no real gripes with it. Feels good, the weight is good. The rubber feet on it are amazing.

If you guys have any questions or anything about this keyboard, I will try to answer them.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

leper khan posted:

Has anyone successfully modded a trackpoint into their keyboard? It's something I'd really like, but I don't want to ruin my nice (expensive) mech board.

People have done it, but the short answer is if you have any fear in your heart it's not worth trying. Maybe look into this upcoming 60% from TEX if you can't live without it. Unicomp sells Trackpoint boards of course, but they're based on an old lovely version of the Trackpoint.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Internet Friend posted:

People have done it, but the short answer is if you have any fear in your heart it's not worth trying. Maybe look into this upcoming 60% from TEX if you can't live without it.

Oh my god yes yes yes

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Internet Friend posted:

People have done it, but the short answer is if you have any fear in your heart it's not worth trying. Maybe look into this upcoming 60% from TEX if you can't live without it. Unicomp sells Trackpoint boards of course, but they're based on an old lovely version of the Trackpoint.

Wow you're a son of a bitch

Makin' me like my own keyboard less

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Oh my god yes yes yes

Are there any other keyboards that come with trackpoints? I love the concept, but I need a 101+ keyboard for my purposes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Are there any other keyboards that come with trackpoints? I love the concept, but I need a 101+ keyboard for my purposes.

There's the Unicomp EnduraPro line of buckling spring boards with a trackpoint:
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/EnduraPro

Lenovo also makes a laptop style keyboard with trackpoint, although I don't have the link to it handy.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Unicomp Trackpoints are based on the original (TrackPoint 2) design, not the newest (Trackpoint 4) that Lenovo uses. They're low sensitivity and don't have "negative inertia*" or support for scrolling with a third button. Unfortunately you don't have many options. Lenovo used to make a 104 USB keyboard with Trackpoint, but it's been discontinued in favor of their disembodied laptop keyboards.

* Also on this page: IBM apparently made keyboards with TWO Trackpoints in them???

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Is there such a keyboard without num pad and arrow keys ? I never use the num pad and I like to align the man keys with monitor and short distance to mouse. With regular keyboard it's to left and I have to reach way far to right to use mouse. I could be left handed mouse user but I'm not. It's like using laptop with mouse in a sense. Full sized keys not those compact garbage ones...

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Vaz posted:

Is there such a keyboard without num pad and arrow keys ? I never use the num pad and I like to align the man keys with monitor and short distance to mouse. With regular keyboard it's to left and I have to reach way far to right to use mouse. I could be left handed mouse user but I'm not. It's like using laptop with mouse in a sense. Full sized keys not those compact garbage ones...

Loads. Cut off the numpad and you've got a tenkeyless (TKL for short) keyboard. Squash the keys together some more and you've got an 84 key. Lose the navigation and function keys and you're down to a 60% keyboard. There are even people who have made 40% keyboards which are just adorable.

And then there's my favorite keyboard if you really want to go bananas.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Ah, 84 key keyboards are exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for the info and links for me to get started to buy one.

Edit: don't see in OP, what's difference between red and brown Cherry switches?

Vaz fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 23, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vaz posted:

Edit: don't see in OP, what's difference between red and brown Cherry switches?
Reds are smooth all the way down, feels just like pressing on a spring. Browns have a little notch at the point where the key activates, so you get a little bit of feedback.

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014

I'll second this, if you're looking for something more ergonomic then you can't go wrong with a Dox, by far the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
What the gently caress has happened to WASD-keyboards? Their customizer seems gone. Now all they have is 'generic' mechanical keyboards. What's the loving point of that?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blugu64 posted:

Oh my god yes yes yes

I'm already frustrated as poo poo about remembering all the times I hit that goddamn clit mouse, and that was just when I had short-rear end scissor keys; the deep throw of a mech switch would make the G-H-B cluster a goddamn nightmare to use.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bhm posted:

What the gently caress has happened to WASD-keyboards? Their customizer seems gone. Now all they have is 'generic' mechanical keyboards. What's the loving point of that?

Where are you looking? Everything is still customizable on their website from the looks of it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Bhm posted:

The customizer is now part of the product page, not a separate thing. Pick one of the custom keyboards or keycap sets and scroll down. You can still upload layout files as well. The only thing that's gone is they've switched to UV printing instead of laser etching.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm already frustrated as poo poo about remembering all the times I hit that goddamn clit mouse, and that was just when I had short-rear end scissor keys; the deep throw of a mech switch would make the G-H-B cluster a goddamn nightmare to use.

Counterpoint: it is the best pointing device and should mandatorily be installed on every keyboard that ships to consumers.

I never had problems with it on my M13 before it went haywire. If anything, the deeper throw made it more difficult to accidentally budge.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

leper khan posted:

Counterpoint: it is the best pointing device and should mandatorily be installed on every keyboard that ships to consumers.

Does it feel bad to be so wrong all the time?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Wasabi the J posted:

Does it feel bad to be so wrong all the time?

Pretty much. I'd pay another 500 for a Macbook with a trackpoint.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leper khan posted:

I never had problems with it on my M13 before it went haywire. If anything, the deeper throw made it more difficult to accidentally budge.

I second this statement.

I'm also mad that I missed their buying window.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cream_Filling posted:

I second this statement.

I'm also mad that I missed their buying window.

Same and same.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Das Keyboard updated their industrial design to finally ditch glossy finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byG-aS4Hf0

Featuring "REVOLUTIONARY new features such as USB ports, a volume wheel, and media keys." And the foot bar doubles as a ruler.

Also Poker IIs are back on sale at Massdrop in case anyone is in the market for a 60%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A Sleep button? Seriously?

Too bad because I would enjoy having a competitor to Corsair for full-feature keyboards.

• Locked thread