Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Rolling Stone article on BS:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/bill-simmons-big-score-20140429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

At 24, he began smoking pot, and soon owned a four-foot purple bong. (In L.A., he discovered West Coast weed was way more potent, and one night, ended up "hiding behind the curtains in my living room for 40 minutes because I thought somebody was watching us. After that, I phased back big time.")

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Deadspin made a successful FOIA request for the e-mails that Darren Rovell sent to a U. of Michigan professor about a former student who made fun of him on twitter.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

What a weiner

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

zakharov posted:

What a weiner

I love that this grown rear end man wrote that email, sat back in his chair, and thought "NAILED IT, PERFECT WAY TO HANDLE THIS SITUATION"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I love that this grown rear end man wrote that email, sat back in his chair, and thought "NAILED IT, PERFECT WAY TO HANDLE THIS SITUATION"

No, no, he wrote that email and immediately sensed there might be a problem with it. After 25 minutes of internal debate and no response, he realized he hosed up in a big way, and sent another email in case he wasn't specific enough the first time.

Also love that he signed his email with his Twitter handle, no further explanation necessary.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Darren Rovell has the maturity of a 12 year old.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I am cracking the gently caress up at "sportsbizreporter@gmail.com"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Also love that he signed his email with his Twitter handle, no further explanation necessary.

The only way that could be more perfectly Darren Rovell is if he'd managed to drop his number of followers in there too.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Clearly the way to go about things is to see if sportsbizreporter@gmail.com is signed up for any potentially embarrassing mailing lists, and if so, to see what exact sites sportsbizreporter@gmail.com is attaching itself to for branding purposes.

Please do not send prank emails to sportsbizreporter@gmail.com, with fake leads on stories, or to pose as a New York pimp with the tearful story of how visiting NBA teams singlehandedly prop up the NYC sex trade.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Darren Rovell is actually a long-form piece of performance art.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Darren Rovell is actually a long-form piece of performance art.
Shia LeBouf went real deep on this one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Shia LeBouf went real deep on this one.
He looked at what Joaquin Phoenix did and thought it was too obvious.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Another Grantland classic about the 2002 WCF between the Kings/Lakers

http://grantland.com/features/2002-western-conference-oral-history-los-angeles-lakers-sacramento-kings/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Was just about to post this. Grantland does some incredible work.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Not to be outdone, SB Nation did an oral history of the XFL:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Re: Game 6

Bernhardt: Ed Rush, my boss at the time, called and asked what I thought about the game. I said, “I’d rather not say.” He said, “Tell me, Ted.” I said, “You know me, Ed. I’d rather not say.” He goes, “Ted, tell me.” I said, “Well, I thought my partners sucked.” He says, “OK, thank you. That’s what I’d thought you think.” Click. That’s why I hate talking about it, because I really care about Delaney and [third official Dick] Bavetta.

Thank Lord they recognize the officiating that game was a travesty.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

Not to be outdone, SB Nation did an oral history of the XFL:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

If someone doesn't get Beer Record Guy as a custom title, we, as a group, have failed.

Man, that's a good read. The XFL seems like something out of a dream or a half remembered fantasy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

If someone doesn't get Beer Record Guy as a custom title, we, as a group, have failed.

Man, that's a good read. The XFL seems like something out of a dream or a half remembered fantasy.

How the hell could they not have gotten He Hate Me or Tommy Maddox for that piece?

Also, nine times out of ten I'd rather read an actual narrative story than an oral history and I wish the trend would die down a bit.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/baseballs-best-lobbyist/?src=longreads

This is a fantastic article about Scott Boras with some really hilarious factoids, such as:

quote:

When Rodriguez was a free agent in 2000, the Boras Corporation produced Alex Rodriguez: Historical Performance, a lavish 70-page book that compared the shortstop to Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo and cost $35,000 to publish in an edition of 100.

quote:

Cano, a star Yankees infielder, had dropped Boras to sign with Jay-Z’s new sports agency.

“My first reaction was I don’t listen to Jay-Z-style music,” Boras tells me. “I listen to R. Kelly. I listen to Beyoncé. I listen to Bernie Williams.”

quote:

None of this surprised the New York Times’ Benjamin Hoffman. Buried in the fine print of Alex Rodriguez’s $252-million Texas Rangers contract, Hoffman tells me, was a bonus clause: a tiny $150,000 payout for winning the American League Divisional Series MVP award—pretty standard stuff, except for one thing. “That award does not exist,” Hoffman says. “Boras negotiated in case it did someday.”

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Well of course he listens to Bernie's music, he was a client. :colbert:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

“My first reaction was I don’t listen to Jay-Z-style music,” Boras tells me. “I listen to R. Kelly..."
Well that settles that: Scott Boras pees on teenage girls.

I remember the "book" from A-Rod's 2000 free agency, but I didn't quite realize Boras went to those lengths with it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

leokitty posted:

Well of course he listens to Bernie's music, he was a client. :colbert:

That's why it's funny

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

That's why it's funny
Just about everything about Scott Boras is kind of funny in its own way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Scott Boras owns.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He noticed a mechanical flaw in Rafael Soriano's delivery that the Nats' own pitching coach didn't see. It's a really obvious one too, so Steve McCatty probably shouldn't be a major league pitching coach.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Scott Boras owns.

Inventing an award, then negotiating a contract incentive in case that award is won is like peak sports agent chicanery.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What the hell grantland

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that is a fairly poorly thought out title.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The answer to your question is "Steven Hyden is a loving clown"

Always nice to see Charlie Pierce popping up places that aren't Esquire, though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Wait, I thought they were siblings.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

chunkles posted:

What the hell grantland

The article itself is kind of lovely, but I must be missing something about this?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

morestuff posted:

The article itself is kind of lovely, but I must be missing something about this?

I think its that they are running a no interest story about a band that broke up a while ago over the NBA finals

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Politicalrancor posted:

I think its that they are running a no interest story about a band that broke up a while ago over the NBA finals

Jack White has a pretty hyped solo album coming out next week soooo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The finals don't start for a couple days, it's about as much a pop culture site as it is a sports site, and they rotate stuff in and out of those top slots all day.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Wright Thompson seems to do 3 features for every ESPN magazine, and he punctuates the good ones, like the Michael Jordan sad old man, and Johnny Manziell hick scam artist family profiles, with some really bad stuff.

He did a piece about a Bosnian soccer player returning to his ethnically cleansed village, and instead of letting he and his family speak for themselves, he punctuated everything with hoary cliches and generally painful writing.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10921287/nothing-stay-buried-bosnia-herzegovina-forward-vedad-ibisevic-returns-homelandt

His latest article is about Lionel Messi v Maradona, it doesn't seem to be online. It's really hosed up. He tries to frame Maradona as the man of Peron. Describing him as a fountain irrational machismo and describing his cocaine crimes. Then he glosses over the military dictatorship and says that the young Argentines like Messi, because he's quiet. Then repeats some right wing poo poo from The Economist as fact, teaching us that Argenina's economy is in ruins!!! Because of Peronism. It's a really awkward thing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Pablo Sandoval strikes back against the liberal terrorist elite media, destroys beat writer's computer

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chunkles posted:

What the hell grantland

Steven Hyden is so bad. I want to say he's by a pretty decent margin the worst of Grantland's regular writers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Steven Hyden is so bad. I want to say he's by a pretty decent margin the worst of Grantland's regular writers.

He practically defines the term middlebrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It makes 1000% sense that he's the main music writer for a Bill Simmons website, though. He probably secured his job for life when he wrote that big Counting Crows retrospective