Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Node posted:

Is there a fix for making New Vegas actually close without freezing? Oblivion did this too and someone had to make an OBSE based plugin to fix it.

Less mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cubemario posted:

Less mods.

I should have mentioned I specifically disabled every mod I had, besides DLC, in an attempt to troubleshoot this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Node posted:

I should have mentioned I specifically disabled every mod I had, besides DLC, in an attempt to troubleshoot this.

Does it do this on a clean ini? Changes to mouse acceleration / disabling ipresentinterval are fine, but have you gone through and made significant modifications to the other settings?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does it do this on a clean ini? Changes to mouse acceleration / disabling ipresentinterval are fine, but have you gone through and made significant modifications to the other settings?

I haven't gotten to the point where I have started to fiddle around with ini settings yet. Is there certain switch in the ini file that causes this problem?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Wow this new texture pack is amazing, it actually looks really really complete compared to poco bueno. Even the most minor textures seem to have been overhauled.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cubemario posted:

Wow this new texture pack is amazing, it actually looks really really complete compared to poco bueno. Even the most minor textures seem to have been overhauled.

Are you running the large medium or small version? What was the performance hit on your PC?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Node posted:

I haven't gotten to the point where I have started to fiddle around with ini settings yet. Is there certain switch in the ini file that causes this problem?

Just an idea. A while back, I had problems with lock-ups on exit, and they were resolved when I had Steam verify cache integrity and replace the ini files. I'm not sure of a particular setting that could cause the problem, but perhaps an assortment of bad or contradictory settings could prompt it.

Node posted:

Are you running the large medium or small version? What was the performance hit on your PC?

The small version claims that there is actually a performance increase because all of the files are already decompressed and readily available. This may be true--NMC's "performance" package for FO3 used the same resolution as default textures, but the custom textures were done a lot better. Sort of like Arenovalis' weapon retextures.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 6, 2011

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The1DevoidoName posted:

4Gb.. are you running this too?

For some reason I always tought that this applied only to people using custom texture packs and that it didn't have any impact on Vanilla (:downs:), but holy gently caress, using this made the performance go from water to wine, thank you so much!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is anyone else getting "File does not exist" when trying to download from Nexus?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Pope Guilty posted:

Is anyone else getting "File does not exist" when trying to download from Nexus?

Only when I forgot to temporarily enable scripting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Male Man posted:

Only when I forgot to temporarily enable scripting.

I just recently started using NoScript and forgot to enable it. Thanks!

E: I tracked down FOMM on Fileplanet and discovered that the KOTOR 2 restoration project finally released, so it works out anyway!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Finally tried out F3NV Project Reality. It looks much nicer in action. Thanks for the heads up whoever posted it!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Finally tried out F3NV Project Reality. It looks much nicer in action. Thanks for the heads up whoever posted it!

Hey did the author fix the map marker bug, where loading the mod would reveal all locations on the map?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey did the author fix the map marker bug, where loading the mod would reveal all locations on the map?

No clue, I have the Explorer perk, sorry.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah this mod is amazing, frankly. It does so many things right and easily has the best skyboxes out of all the other ones out there. Still has glitches such as

The strip outdoors being black and white sometimes.
Lighting changes when you leave the general goodsprings area.
Skyboxes don't always match the weather.
No rain sounds.

So it still has some issues to work out, but for a recent release this is very very good.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Definitely prefer the Ojo pack to that new texture pack. Freeside looked too clean.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

quote:

UPDATE:5th August 2011
----------------------
Project Reality has received some great feedback and suggestions from the Nexus community. The map marker problem has been fixed with v2. I will be releasing an updated version (v3) over the coming week which will:

- Add options menu to enable/disable Dof and Heat Haze, and option to select weather cycle type (Not everybody likes rain)
- Add Darker Nights option (Some of you guys should just play with a blindfold on) lol
- Replace old snow and rain effects.
- Bug Fixes for heat haze, black clouds and fast travelling reverting temporarily to vanilla weather.
- Add more weather variation and realistic clouds.
- Small increase in saturation with view of finding a balance for everybody.
- And maybe, just maybe, a surprise or two:)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I want to like Project Reality, but sometimes I go outside and it's pure black outside, only seeing my party and my pipboy light. Is this because I removed the old weather mod?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Naky posted:

Well then, F3NV is shaping up to be quite a contender as far as weather mods are concerned. Thanks for the heads up.

Rirse posted:

I want to like Project Reality, but sometimes I go outside and it's pure black outside, only seeing my party and my pipboy light. Is this because I removed the old weather mod?

Towards the end of using Project Reality, I noticed that the nights were hopelessly dark. That's actually what prompted me to stop using it. Which is strange, considering the first two or three nights were this deep, appropriate darkness. Oh well.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well then, F3NV is shaping up to be quite a contender as far as weather mods are concerned. Thanks for the heads up.

Towards the end of using Project Reality, I noticed that the nights were hopelessly dark. That's actually what prompted me to stop using it. Which is strange, considering the first two or three nights were this deep, appropriate darkness. Oh well.

I think one of the few games I've played that did darkness well was ARMA 2, the way your eyes could adjust to how little light it was and see a little. Or put your NVG on and then be blind for a few moments while your eyes readjust.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only thing I don't like is the attitude the author has towards it. 'Vote for me and endorse me or I won't keep working on it' is a surefire way to have a good mod be removed down the road in a fit of ragequitting. I don't understand why so many authors need to have their heads pat and their egos stroked.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Node posted:

Is there a fix for making New Vegas actually close without freezing? Oblivion did this too and someone had to make an OBSE based plugin to fix it.

Pretty sure you're just stuck with it until someone makes a fast exit NVSE plugin worth a drat. I asked this a while ago on both forums and got jack.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm trying to see how much VRAM the NMC texture packs are using. In Oblivion, you could check this by typing tdt 13 in the console. But in New Vegas, I type tdt in the console, it says debug text is on, but nothing shows up. Anyone know what is going on?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apocadall posted:

I think one of the few games I've played that did darkness well was ARMA 2, the way your eyes could adjust to how little light it was and see a little. Or put your NVG on and then be blind for a few moments while your eyes readjust.

Yeah, ArmA 2 really impressed me with the night effects. Most games just kind of dim the screen somewhat so instead of looking like night, it looks more like "Daytime, but with more black". ArmA had some really neat lighting effects at night too - colour saturation would be a lot lower because the limited amount of light only really lets your eyes perceive shapes rather than colours. They even had infrared lasers on weapons that you could only see with NVG on. One of the things that bugs me about the darker nights and darker interior mods is the fact that it's just really, really dark, but the game doesn't have a proper flashlight, or allow your eyes to adjust to the light level (even with the friend of the night perk - I'm not even sure what makes it trigger but it doesn't seem to work in a lot of dark interiors), so your only choices are the vanilla "Still pretty much daytime" level of darkness or "Completely blind, might as well sleep until daytime" darkness.

I'm hoping that whenever Fallout 4 rolls around, the Creation engine (the one they're developing for Skyrim) will allow some neat stuff like that to be done.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm hoping FO4 is going to use RAGEs engine. God could you imagine :gizz:

I mean it would make sense too. RAGE is an open world apocalyptic gun game. It's made to happen.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean it would make sense too. RAGE is an open world apocalyptic gun game. It's made to happen.

I think a lot depends on how well RAGE does. If it fails, I can practically guarantee you Bethesda will extract their money out of id's engine technology, which they previously said they'd more or less leave alone with minimal to no technology sharing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

I can't even figure out how modders would deal with the whole megatexturing system.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Here's to hoping. Better yet, toss in some Borderlands-style weapon effects and tweak VATS a bit more, maybe add in vehicles.

Has anyone ported that Mass Effect 2 armor mod to FNV? I know it was on the Nexus for a while before... something happened.

And are there any Caesar's Legion mods in the vein of the NCR Rearmament?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

JackMackerel posted:

Here's to hoping. Better yet, toss in some Borderlands-style weapon effects and tweak VATS a bit more, maybe add in vehicles.

Has anyone ported that Mass Effect 2 armor mod to FNV? I know it was on the Nexus for a while before... something happened.

And are there any Caesar's Legion mods in the vein of the NCR Rearmament?

That armor's been ported forever dude. You won't ever find it on Nexus though. PoliceAutomaton has been working on an armor collection megapack similar to The Armory and I believe he's integrated a few of them in. I believe he's gone for the same sort of idea as TA - including both lore/thematically friendly armors with a bunch of lore breaking neat/cool ones with the intention of letting you choose.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(even with the friend of the night perk - I'm not even sure what makes it trigger but it doesn't seem to work in a lot of dark interiors), so your only choices are the vanilla "Still pretty much daytime" level of darkness or "Completely blind, might as well sleep until daytime" darkness.

Friend of the night is only active from around 20:15 to 5:45 (or thereabouts), regardless of whether you're outdoors or indoors, despite what the description says. This can lead to some weird moments where things suddenly grow much darker inside a cave or building, because the perk stopped working due to the time.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 7, 2011

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Isn't there a mod that can change the homebase NPCs return to, like if you wanted to use something else instead of Lucky 38?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't there a mod that can change the homebase NPCs return to, like if you wanted to use something else instead of Lucky 38?

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36738

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the recommended autosave mod, if any?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

What's the recommended autosave mod, if any?

CASM. It's in the OP.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
If someone wants to experiment, try playing with this animation replacer. It's made for FO3 but the author claims it will just drop into FNV with no problems. I'm curious to see how it compares to WAR in some ways, though it doesn't try to compete - it's made by joefoxx's apprentice.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JackMackerel posted:

Mass Effect armor is old news, bro! You need to grab the Vanquish armor!

Cool kids rocket slide across the Mojave.

vvv I just wait for my Chinese buddies to grab F3U stuff. Their download requirements are retarded.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 7, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
^^^ modgames.net usually mirrors a lot of their stuff too.

Schubalts posted:

Mass Effect armor is old news, bro! You need to grab the Vanquish armor!

Cool kids rocket slide across the Mojave.

There's someone on F3U that's collecting the meshes/textures for MK9. The Noob armor looks so badass and I want it badly...

Naky fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 7, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
After using the NMC texture pack on medium for about 30 minutes or so... I can say that it hardly has had an impact on my performance besides slightly longer loading times. That being said, it doesn't appear every texture has been applied correctly, some I noticed such as the trash can were not updated (despite there being a screenshot of an trash can in the screenshots).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

JackMackerel posted:

Well RAGE already has vehicles so if they did use that engine and they did get rid of vehicles I'd be pretty pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41476

So much potential, most of it certainly doomed to remain unrealized.

I wonder if Bethesda would ever consider having Fallout 1 and 2 remade in the style of 3 and New Vegas? Though on the other hand given the sheer amount of text in those games (especially 2) that might not be possible in today's "everything must be voice acted" world.