Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

They know. It's very sad.

One of the most heartbreaking pages of the series.

Injustice: Year One #34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I may have posted it ages ago, but as IDW's current Transformers run is coming to an end, I've been going back through old issues to remind myself of stuff and came back across this. Our heroes have made a detour to the home of the 'Necrobot' who far from being some sort of robot Charon is instead a record-keeper, noting which transformers have died, who killed them and essentially turning the entire planet to a memorial for a race scourged by war. He also makes displays of flowers, which note how many robots were killed at the hands of others. So obviously, Megatron goes to find his memorial

I love every time these Megatron panels are posted but I fear that I'd be lost reading the actual story since I never cared much about Transformers or their mythos

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Samuringa posted:

I love every time these Megatron panels are posted but I fear that I'd be lost reading the actual story since I never cared much about Transformers or their mythos

in this particular sequence, Megatron is given a visual representation of how many transformers died at his hands. He doesn't handle it well

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read any these books, did he ever go bad again? I guess that's a pretty meaningful turn now that you've said it's all about to end.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I never read any these books, did he ever go bad again? I guess that's a pretty meaningful turn now that you've said it's all about to end.

it's a long story, but currently he's missing in an alternate reality and I won't go further than that. But that aside, no, he never went bad again, in fact he went too far good I was convinced it was all a long con

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Why are they cancelling the Transformers comics? Did they not sell? And does that mean they're cancelling the other books that are that universe like ROM and GI Joe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The rumor seems to be that Hasbro isn't happy with their direction and wants a change.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

in this particular sequence, Megatron is given a visual representation of how many transformers died at his hands. He doesn't handle it well

I get that much :cheeky:

I know Autobots = Good and Decepticon = Bad and that the war has killed an uncountable number of people over the years, especially at Megatron's hands and that this arc is about his redemption, but there's also a lot that I see in the panels that fly over my head, like, Megatron, Starscream and Optimus Prime are probably the only OG designs I recognize or such.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X-O posted:

Why are they cancelling the Transformers comics? Did they not sell? And does that mean they're cancelling the other books that are that universe like ROM and GI Joe?

They're rebooting it actually

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I get that much :cheeky:

I know Autobots = Good and Decepticon = Bad and that the war has killed an uncountable number of people over the years, especially at Megatron's hands and that this arc is about his redemption, but there's also a lot that I see in the panels that fly over my head, like, Megatron, Starscream and Optimus Prime are probably the only OG designs I recognize or such.

Honestly, the TF comics aren't any different from any other comic in that if you pick up a random issue with no context at all you might have no clue who anyone is and you either roll with it and enjoy the story or don't and never bother with another.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

It's also leaving out that each of those Energon flowers is actually the traces of three or four Transformers. So, uh... that's a lot more than it initially seems like.

Endless Mike posted:

The rumor seems to be that Hasbro isn't happy with their direction and wants a change.

drrockso20 posted:

They're rebooting it actually
:mad: Of loving course they are. Can't have Megatron legitimately switch sides and come to terms with his millions of years of butchery having gotten him nothing! STATUS QUO MUST BE MAINTAINED!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's also leaving out that each of those Energon flowers is actually the traces of three or four Transformers. So, uh... that's a lot more than it initially seems like.

also, the issue further implies that Megatron's display extends for a very long loving way in each direction. And that's just robots, not counting the billions upon billions of organics that died at his hands. It's a stunning bit of writing complimented by the art

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:mad: Of loving course they are. Can't have Megatron legitimately switch sides and come to terms with his millions of years of butchery having gotten him nothing! STATUS QUO MUST BE MAINTAINED!

Well tbf even more than DC or Marvel, everything in Transformers is in service of selling toys. And when you're selling to kids they want good guys and bad guys, not shades of grey or Megatron on a road to redemption.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

Basically some Hasbro exec looked at the comic and said "WTF is this bullshit?" Like Sega did with the Sonic comics?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Well tbf even more than DC or Marvel, everything in Transformers is in service of selling toys. And when you're selling to kids they want good guys and bad guys, not shades of grey or Megatron on a road to redemption.

Are they selling to kids? Except for maybe the movie merchandise, the only people I ever see buying transformers merch are about my age.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Some of the more recent Transformers toy designs have been directly influenced by the comics. But the good guy/bad guy thing that's prevalent in the line since it first launched was killed in the current comic continuity in 2011, and Megatron's defection from Decepticon to Autobot and the subsequent fallout from that has seen some of the best writing I've read in years

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kids don’t care about comic lines. The transformers don’t need comics to sell them even a little bit.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If Good Megatron is stuck in an alternate universe, then they can bring him back to fight Bad Megatron after they reboot the franchise. This will let them sell twice as many Megatron toys.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Avulsion posted:

If Good Megatron is stuck in an alternate universe, then they can bring him back to fight Bad Megatron after they reboot the franchise. Optimus from the movie franchise.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Gavok posted:

One of the most heartbreaking pages of the series.

Injustice: Year One #34

i assume that arrows meant to be on the floor but it looks like someone just shot jonathan in the head with an arrow

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

quite stretched out posted:

i assume that arrows meant to be on the floor but it looks like someone just shot jonathan in the head with an arrow

It's in his shoulder. It bounced off Superman and hit him, at which point Superman murdered Green Arrow. That's why everyone is sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I started reading this very late in the game because I thought all the panels looked dumb. The whole Batman/Superman Twitter thing was almost solely responsible for me ignoring the book. But I finally relented and slowly started catching up. I was liking things just fine and That whole scene at the Fortress with Green Arrow and Superman is where I went from "Well yeah I guess this is a fun alternate timeline story" to "OK I gotta catch up like right now and read this every week"

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Lurdiak posted:

It's in his shoulder. It bounced off Superman and hit him, at which point Superman murdered Green Arrow. That's why everyone is sad.

lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tbf what the hell is green arrow thinking

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

tbf what the hell is green arrow thinking

Same thing everyone who shoots at Superman is thinking: "Aaaaaaaaaaah!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe he thought he was drawing his Kryptonite-tipped Arrow

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You'd think he would've gotten the hint when the robo-supermen were going YOU ARE A THREAT TO THE KENTS when he showed up. :thunk: I really hate Evil Superman.
E: didn't Pa Kent die of a heart attack a while ago, or did that just not happen in this continuity?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You'd think he would've gotten the hint when the robo-supermen were going YOU ARE A THREAT TO THE KENTS when he showed up. :thunk: I really hate Evil Superman.

Those are not the same scenes. They are set years apart.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ah, I see. In my defense, I haven't been following it very closely, either. My apologies! (Evil Supes is still an enormous dick, though)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's the point. You're supposed to hate Evil Superman because he is literally the worst. Green Arrow went out a hero as he should've. The Green Arrow you see in the one with the Harley and the Robot Superman is a different Green Arrow. Basically Dr. Fate saved Black Canary and took her to universe where Oliver had also lost her and they started a family. Then they were brought back into the fight later because they were needed. It was a really sweet and well done story.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Alaois posted:

Maybe he thought he was drawing his Kryptonite-tipped Arrow

serves him right for painting all his arrows green, thats gotta make it harder to find the kryptonite one in a pinch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

serves him right for painting all his arrows green, thats gotta make it harder to find the kryptonite one in a pinch

LoL, look at this dork who doesn't know there's more than one color kryptonite.

:)

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
well i was assuming that if supermans already freaking out you dont want to shoot him with the one that makes him horny or whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

well i was assuming that if supermans already freaking out you dont want to shoot him with the one that makes him horny or whatever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Kids don’t care about comic lines. The transformers don’t need comics to sell them even a little bit.

Fair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lois is cheating on me!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Infinitum posted:

Like if you want to have a huge multi-character series, having it set in a universe where consequences matter and death is permanent is 100% the way to go.
It makes those huge moments MATTER.

Nothing annoys me more than a character dying only to have them brought back later to reset the status quo.
"Oh no Wolverine/Hulk/Jean Grey/Batman died? Well can't wait to see their return in 6 months time at the conclusion of this arc I guess..."

Peter David did a story about this - the Death of Nick Fury.

the Howling Commandoes showed up at the funeral, and were all laughing and joking about what a prankster ol' Nick is

and someone said, why are you being so disrespectful?

and they said, it's Nick Fury! He's always faking his death! This can't be him! Any minute now, he'll come walking out of the crowd to surprise us!

Any minute now, he'll get up out of the coffin!

Any minute now!

... okay, digging the grave is going kind of far...

.... okay, lowering the coffin into the grave is a bit extreme, but it's all in the service of the joke! He'll come back! Of course he will!

okay, you're covering the coffin with dirt! Stop that! How's he going to get out of the coffin if it's buried!

and it slowly dawns on the remaining Commandoes that, no, this time it really is real. Nick Fury really did die. It's not a hoax, not an LMD, not a clone.

It's real.

He's really gone.

and they just crumble.

and then six months later someone said "okay, time to bring Nick Fury back. Hmm. Okay, it was an LMD."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Noted racist Nick Spencer wrote an astoundingly terrible issue of Secret Avengers where Black Widow confronts a tabloid that claimed to know for sure Bucky hadn't died. She proceeded to argue that superheroes constantly coming back to life was somehow worse than if they'd actually died because you just never know.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

also, the issue further implies that Megatron's display extends for a very long loving way in each direction. And that's just robots, not counting the billions upon billions of organics that died at his hands. It's a stunning bit of writing complimented by the art

The flowers being a direct inverse to the red poppies at Flanders representing soldiers dying in combat is some pretty great writing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Peter David did a story about this - the Death of Nick Fury.
He went back to this well in X-Factor with Siryn unable to process Banshee's death since X-Men never stay dead so why bother mourning? As far as I'm aware Banshee is still dead.