Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sellouts posted:

beans look absolutely phenomenal, nice work

Oh they are. I guess I should mention that the base is made from habaneros and poblanos that I grew and smoked.

Edit: I also just took a face full of yellow jackets trying to turn the water on for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Happy Juneteenth

I've never done beef ribs on my Traeger but it's something I want to do. Those look amazing.

Really nice work with the netting/lattice on the shoulder. How did you do that? I have been smoking boneless shoulders from Costco and typically just wrap one thing of butchers string around it to hold it all together tight. Yours has a great aesthetic though.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

That's some proper bark, good job!

I figured my ribs out in the end. More cowbell (wood). I under smoked and slightly over cooked. Gonna try again next week, and see if I can dial in the smoke/cookedness ratio.

These ribs were super spicy, ton of peppers in the rub, and the Bulleit Bourbon hot and spicy sauce made even more fiery.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I've never done beef ribs on my Traeger but it's something I want to do. Those look amazing.

Really nice work with the netting/lattice on the shoulder. How did you do that? I have been smoking boneless shoulders from Costco and typically just wrap one thing of butchers string around it to hold it all together tight. Yours has a great aesthetic though.

I basically spiral a long piece of string all the way around the meat then lace another long piece perpendicular to the first until it is secure. I adjust the spacing as I go and tie it off at the end.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I like to use one load of charcoal and maple wood for the rest of the smoke on pork butt. This is largeley due to the fact that I have a bunch of maple from a tree I took from somone's yard and cut up a few years back.

Als ai know that crutching is bad and wrong but my wife is enthusiastic about my pulled pork and in the past did not like pulled pork until I started smoking it. The first time I tried it I had to crutch it an hour into the stall because I was running out of time, and kept doing that because it puts dinner on the table faster. My wife says she doesn't like other pulled pork because it is too dry. I think the foil is making it juict enough that my wife likes it so I will probably never change what I am doing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The only difference I notice between crutched and uncrutched is stall time and amount of smokiness. They're both just as tender and juicy as the other.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Went out to eat for Father's Day, and I ordered "slow smoked beef brisket," think it'd be great....

It was like pot roast. Pretty awful. I think this means I have to smoke one myself to make up for it.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Larrymer posted:

^I'm sure the meat was pretty drat expensive. :( Not ruined I'm sure but that's unfortunate.

Thankfully not too expensive, these are cheap due to an arrangement a friend has with the supplier behind his workplace. Always make friends with home brew shop owners because they know people. Mine has a pig guy and a wagyu guy. 20 bucks a kg roughly :) thankfully i have another rack

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

See you in like 20 hours you big bitch!

And finished.

I was too busy being in a meat coma last night to post. Holy poo poo it was so good. All I want to eat forever is the bark from this brisket. The smoke ring was fairly thin, but it was there. I was being cautious and didn't want to overdo it. Total smoke time was about 25 hours w/ a few hours with mesquite chunks and then rested it for 1 hour since it took longer to cook than I expected. I got it to 199 @ 225-250. I decided not to inject, just salted for ~24hrs and then rubbed it right before throwing it on the smoker and kept the water topped up.

Imgur is being dumb again, maybe this one will come up eventually. It was moist enough that it was falling apart when I was trying to cut it.

According to everything I ever read on the internet, my smoke times are way longer than most. It doesn't make sense since I tested my probes in boiling water and they were within 1-2 degrees and I use the same temp inside as most guides (225-250). Guess I just have to factor that in for all my future cooks and leave that door closed forever.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 19, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

QuarkMartial posted:

Went out to eat for Father's Day, and I ordered "slow smoked beef brisket," think it'd be great....

It was like pot roast. Pretty awful. I think this means I have to smoke one myself to make up for it.

Yea.... the one "downside" to breaking into the world of smoking is that it ruins you on 90% of restaurant bbq entrees.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I made some meat on the new PID controlled UDS

Lessons learned: I need a water pan/deflector. The rack was a little crispy on the bottom. I also need to use less wood, it was a bit over-smoked. The smoker is really sensitive to valve position. I thought a single 1" valve would be too little if anything but it's hard holding it down at 225. 250 or 275 is much easier. At 225 the valve is barely cracked open so the fan doesnt really do much to raise the temp. I'm trying to get it figured out and dialed in so I can do an overnight brisket next weekend.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Grill question and I can't find a grilling thread. I've had a gas grill for about a year now that doesn't want to get hot. It's nothing fancy but certainly isn't working as it should. Full blast and you can still hold your hand an inch above the grate almost indefinitely.

I've tried resetting the governor by leaving it open without being connected to the tank but that didn't do anything. As far as I can tell has isn't escaping anywhere.

Anybody encounter this before? Suggestions?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Fire it up with the heat diffusors removed to see if the whole burner is going. The little holes can clog up with rust or other crud. Check the orifice as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tez I can't stop thinking about those Mexican Coke beef ribs. I don't ever eat or make them. But now I want them.

Any tips on that sauce?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
In order of volume it was about 12 oz of the coke, soy sauce, some Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder and pepper.

I marinated overnight, basted the meat every hour or so, added drip pan to the marinade to reduce. Before I combine marinade and meat jauice I sauté diced onions, garlic and whatever seasonings you want. I wanted a spicy and sweet sauce so I used a lot of various chilis. I also added more coke at this point, a few tablespoons. Can you tell I don't measure anything? Anyway I strain it then glazed the ribs and cooked them a little hotter to finish.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 20, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks! I learned that I don't have enough peppers

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

lifts cats over head posted:

Grill question and I can't find a grilling thread. I've had a gas grill for about a year now that doesn't want to get hot. It's nothing fancy but certainly isn't working as it should. Full blast and you can still hold your hand an inch above the grate almost indefinitely.

I've tried resetting the governor by leaving it open without being connected to the tank but that didn't do anything. As far as I can tell has isn't escaping anywhere.

Anybody encounter this before? Suggestions?

Check the venturi tubes leading into the burner, spiders are notorious for getting in there and making lovely little webs. I have to clean my gasser out about twice a year because it starts flaming out from the front.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Tbqh I don't think I could eat coke ribs. The sweetness (esp if you're in America where I assume coke is made with HFCS) would not sit well with me at all

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

There's always that one guy at the BBQ who eats your food and then suggests his "family BBQ" recipe even though he has no idea how to grill. That guy in my group suggested I marinate my pork shoulder in Dr. Pepper next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
TFW you out yourself. Pork and Dr Pepper are delicious together and grilling has nothing to do with BBQ.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Stringent posted:

TFW you out yourself. Pork and Dr Pepper are delicious together and grilling has nothing to do with BBQ.

Yeah sorry I meant that post to read more like maybe he's on to something because I had never heard of Mexican Coke Ribs until now and everyone seems to think they're delicious.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Dr Pepper is used for awesome ham. Have no reservations with it's use with pulled pork.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

McSpergin posted:

Tbqh I don't think I could eat coke ribs. The sweetness (esp if you're in America where I assume coke is made with HFCS) would not sit well with me at all

That's why you use Mexican coke.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Mexican Coke is made with real sugar, that's the key.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Snort to Perfection

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
It comes tomorrow!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cimber posted:

It comes tomorrow!

Aren't those things expensive as all hell?

/edit: Maybe I'm confusing them with something I've seen before, but that was more expensive than a BGE

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Seems to be around $400

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a really swell looking wild pacific salmon for the weekend. Any tips? Last time I did an Alton brown cure which was basic sugar and salt. It was fine if a little sweet, anything else I should try? Also, take the skin off?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
At first I thought it was a Humphrey's.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Hed posted:

I got a really swell looking wild pacific salmon for the weekend. Any tips? Last time I did an Alton brown cure which was basic sugar and salt. It was fine if a little sweet, anything else I should try? Also, take the skin off?

I really like making salmon candy, cutting it into smallish chunks and then glazing it with a good maple syrup during the smoking process but you already mentioned Alton's being sweet.

Speaking of salmon, I really need to find some alder for smoking the next time I do it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Chili powder and brown sugar or honey.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DiggityDoink posted:

I really like making salmon candy, cutting it into smallish chunks and then glazing it with a good maple syrup during the smoking process but you already mentioned Alton's being sweet.

Speaking of salmon, I really need to find some alder for smoking the next time I do it.

Amazon is your friend.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Tried out the big red smoker today. Had some initial issues with getting temps stable, even after practicing yesterday. I guess having a big hunka brisket in the smoke box makes a difference. But after some fiddling i was stable for about 6 hours between 225-235. Amazing that I could do that without worry.

I *ahem* feel asleep on the couch when the temp was about 190, so when i woke up it was 215. Oops, I normally take it off at 205, but no big deal. Its now in a cooler resting for an hour.

Best drat smoke i ever have done so far. My offset smoker was a coal hog, and I would easily go through most of a bag of charcoal to get the stuff going. This was so much easier. I went through one chimney of charcoal and a bunch of wood chips. I am in lurve.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
well the brisket came out...ok.

The bark was very moist. I did a crutch at about 2:30 PM, and even before then it was still moist. If i had powered through the stall and started cooking a few hours earlier I probably would have been ok. Not a huge smoke flavor and no real smoke rings to speak of. I will need to add a load more chips, or even chunk the next time I try this.

Still, very impressed with the ease of use.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Got to break in my Slow n Sear this weekend with some ribs! It was my first time ever smoking and it was 100 degrees out today so it was hard to keep the temp under control, but it was a good learning experience

Wasn't crazy about the rub I tried, thinking about trying Memphis dust next time around. Any thread favorites?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone ever smoke a whole brisket to completion and then immediately vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer to reheat a week later (via sous vide)? How did it turn out?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

atothesquiz posted:

Anyone ever smoke a whole brisket to completion and then immediately vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer to reheat a week later (via sous vide)? How did it turn out?

I haven't ever done that but it might make more sense to slice it before sealing so you can bag it smaller and take less time to sous vide. Also you can then eat some while you slice...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are some thread approved sauce recipes? Would like to do a neutral KC style sauce, a hot KC style sauce (ala Night of the Living Sauce), and a mustard based sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The only ones I've tried are from amazingribs.com. I did the Texas mop sauce for brisket and it was good and I would recommend it. I thought it was going to be bad while making it but it worked out really well for beef. It's thin but has chunks of onions and peppers in it and has a lot of flavor that complemented brisket well IMO.

I also did the Carolina mustard based sauce which I did not like. Too much mustard/vinegar and not enough sweetness to balance it. Mixed with an off the shelf bbq sauce made it alright.