Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats it like down there today? Pretty subdued i'd imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
MK is average if not a little below average crowds today. Park seems to be operating as if nothing was unusual. Bag check was maybe a little stricter, pulling aside a girl that had a clutch attached to her hip and telling her she needed to proceed through the bag line.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I saw that MK was making all adults go through the metal detectors.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

I saw that MK was making all adults go through the metal detectors.

Might have been early morning. I don't think anyone in our party was selected for additional screening but we didn't show up until after 11

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Abu Dave posted:

Whats it like down there today? Pretty subdued i'd imagine?

They closed Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey over at Universal early when word got out one of the team members on it was one of the ones killed. (Luis Vielma)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I went out on patrol from about 9-6 today.. was working SW and it was pretty solid there. People on vacation mostly did not know although there were a number of times people would approach me while I was in the car and ask me what happened. One family thanked me for being out there on a day like today. It was a rough day I had to listen to things over the radio plus what I learned via others. I know all three of the SRO for OCSO who were there, one of them was from the sector I work not to mention others who were on shift when it happened that were called out to the scene. Still numb from all of this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't know any of the victims as far as I know. One friend from Universal (a regular HHN scareactor) confirmed he and his boyfriend were okay on Facebook but I need to wait for the full list of dead.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I didn't know any of the victims personally as far as I know, but my roommate works at Forbidden Journey and she's pretty shook up. The outpouring of support from the community has been heartwarming.

I didn't notice anything different out at Universal today, but then again they've been screening everyone for months now. Kong report: Vehicle is awesome, Kong himself is awesome, the screen part was the weakest part. Waited 2.5 hours, of which about an hour or so was the ride being down. Saw the scareactors in the queue, doubt they'll last long which is why I wanted to check it out early.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

I didn't know any of the victims personally as far as I know, but my roommate works at Forbidden Journey and she's pretty shook up. The outpouring of support from the community has been heartwarming.

Oof, I forgot she worked there for a minute. What a sad day.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Ah, Inside the Magic. Postin' that video despite Universals many requests to not take any video on the ride, including threatening Annual Pass cancellation.

Ricky Brigante is a gangster.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
So sad, at least one cast member was killed, saw this posted on Yammer.
Jerry Wright from the Magic Kingdom
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...0613-story.html

And they are reporting the shooter scouted Disney locations

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
One of my friends was there but luckily left 10 minutes before the shooting. A coworker's brother in law was one of the dead.

As for the Disney connection, the report is still early and sources are divided on if he was planning something there or just happened to visit.

Obviously Disney parks are big targets for terrorism due to their place in American culture. Not that I'm saying you should stay away... it seems like you're just as likely (or unlikely) to have something happen somewhere important or somewhere you would never expect.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Me and the parents are heading down to WDW on Thursday. Staying at Saratoga Springs and very excited for the new Star Wars fireworks on Saturday as we are signed up for the dessert party. It's drat sad what happened and my heart goes out to those affected by the actions of a real piece of poo poo. In lighter commentary there's at least a good chance my dollars will fill the gap left by anyone scared away as I'll be drinking around the world at Epcot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

J33uk posted:

.. very excited for the new Star Wars fireworks on Saturday as we are signed up for the dessert party.

Do you have more info on this? Is it every night? I was planning on going Friday not Saturday, but if it's something cool I might be convinced to put up with a busier park and just deal with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular - Opening June 17, 2016!

Starts Friday!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have more info on this? Is it every night? I was planning on going Friday not Saturday, but if it's something cool I might be convinced to put up with a busier park and just deal with it.

Yeah as bottom liner posted it starts Friday, we just happened to have Saturday as our HS day. Supposedly it has fancy new pyro effects and projections and the fireworks tests have been waking people up staying on property for the last week which is pretty promising. I've seen the current and soon to be previous show, Symphony in the Stars and it was some of the best stuff I've seen at a park.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I saw some driving home the other night around 1 am, it was pretty nuts. Can't wait to see it!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I saw some driving home the other night around 1 am, it was pretty nuts. Can't wait to see it!

Man I'm trying to contain my excitement and you're not helping! Really glad to hear it's looking good though. The dessert party is pretty fun too if the expense isn't too much for people. Nice snacky food and free cocktails combined with roped off space is especially cool as the crowds outside the roped off area were a little nutty in early April.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bottom Liner posted:

Starts Friday!

J33uk posted:

Yeah as bottom liner posted it starts Friday, we just happened to have Saturday as our HS day. Supposedly it has fancy new pyro effects and projections and the fireworks tests have been waking people up staying on property for the last week which is pretty promising. I've seen the current and soon to be previous show, Symphony in the Stars and it was some of the best stuff I've seen at a park.

Ooh thanks both! This sounds fun, definitely gonna look into it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Symphony in the Stars was awesome, can't imagine the craziness that the Galactic show will bring.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Gator drags 2 year old into Seven Seas Lagoon near Grand Floridian.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goddamn I was hoping that was some kind of Onion style headline. Nope :(

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That is just unthinkable, but alligators do live all over WDW. It was bound to happen sometime. Poor kid. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I read somewhere that Disney claims their waters are gator free. Is that true? Wouldn't that cause liability issues here? I can't imagine they would make that claim, but if so this will be a huge deal right?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if they make that claim, but if it is negligent to have alligators on your property in Florida, everyone is negligent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah unless they specifically tell guests that there are no gators I can't imagine they could be found liable at all. I think that comment was just hearsay anyways, since gators are pretty ubiquitous here and Disney wouldn't risk that kind of liability.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Good loving lord, what else is going to happen this week?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If they didn't have park hoppers I wonder if Disney will force them to pay admission for Animal Kingdom as well.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If they didn't have park hoppers I wonder if Disney will force them to pay admission for Animal Kingdom as well.

gently caress !!!!!!!!!!!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am sorry but no body of water in Florida is ever guaranteed to be 'gator free'. In fact I remember taking pics of a four foot gator in the canal next to the boat landing by Frontierland.. anyone who knows MK well enough, where the cart that sells turkey legs.. go to the edge of the rail and there was the gator and some shitter tourist was feeding it pieces of the goddamned turkey leg. I took the pic, walked it over to one of the CM's and asked for security. A manager eventually showed up and asked the person to stop, stood around and chatted with a uni that showed up and they walked off. /the end.

It is impossible by every stretch of the imagination for Disney to claim it can have a gator free Seven Seas. That is pure 100% grade A bullshit right there, anyone that buys that line should PM me for a sweet timeshare deal.

EDIT: From the Orlando Sentinel posted this morning - One employee at the resort who did not want to be identified said in an email "There is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." There are two at the Buena Vista Palace that people regularly feed from balconies, he said.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No swimming means STAY OUT OF THE WATER. While I feel horrible for the family this is another instance of people deciding that Disney's rules don't apply to them.

I've heard the argument "But I'm from _________, I don't know there are alligators in water in Florida!" And I want to know what giant rear end rock you've been living under because how do you not know that?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Braks PM me if you get a minute.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I just did. Am I being called the principal's office? :ohdear:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Of course now! It's alligator 101 for tourists. I heard you like swimming in lakes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

:eyepop:

And apparently the family was wading in the waters, ugh. I feel sympathy for the family but come on.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

:eyepop:

And apparently the family was wading in the waters, ugh. I feel sympathy for the family but come on.

Don't forget.. it was dusk. The alligators are not really known to go out much in the day due to all the boat activity on the lake but once nightfall it's open season on tourists. They caught 4, killed them and inspecting but nothing yet last I heard. We have 50 rescue personnel including 10 divers from Orange County Sheriff in that lake searching. I feel bad too but that's 10 of our guys in that water due to something that should have never happened to be honest.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

demonR6 posted:

Of course now! It's alligator 101 for tourists. I heard you like swimming in lakes.

Isn't all the water at WDW chock full of chlorine and colour dye? If the gators can survive that, they automatically can eat anyone stupid enough to go in the water.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trickjaw posted:

Isn't all the water at WDW chock full of chlorine and colour dye? If the gators can survive that, they automatically can eat anyone stupid enough to go in the water.

No, the ponds and lakes are not.. hell not even the waterway where the paddle boat is in has chemicals. That is where I saw the fuckers feeding the 4 foot alligator! In the Magic Kingdom!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Don't forget brain-eating amoebae!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That lagoon water is so gross and oily with the boats and jet skis and stuff. Even if there weren't gators, I still wouldn't want to swim in there.