Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

oh yeah. we playin' with fire.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why are Amazon Cloud Cams still selling on ebay? Amazon shut it down a while ago, who is buying these and for what purpose??

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DNK posted:

oh yeah. we playin' with fire.

:allears:

Also whoever put that modal together, I want to buy them a beer

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well, after being away from the house for over a week on vacation, decided to pick this up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN91RLZ

I'm really iffy on support, but am I missing something, this not an actual product category?

I know Amazon has kind of tried this with the Astro and teased their Ring Drone, but I 100% do not want fixed cameras inside my house but would also very much like to know that cats hadn't destroyed my house on vacation without asking my house sitter to take a million photos like a crazy person.

Are there not seriously more robotic cameras for just like, making sure house is not flooded after a storm when you are on vacation without putting every inch of your home on constant surveillance? I feel like this should really be a thing.

edit: CAT

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 4, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

So by paying for a robot, you can know in the middle of your vacation that your house is destroyed, instead of after you get back? That sounds worse

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Well, after being away from the house for over a week on vacation, decided to pick this up.

I'm really iffy on support, but am I missing something, this not an actual product category?

I know Amazon has kind of tried this with the Astro and teased their Ring Drone, but I 100% do not want fixed cameras inside my house but would also very much like to know that cats hadn't destroyed my house on vacation without asking my house sitter to take a million photos like a crazy person.

Are there not seriously more robotic cameras for just like, making sure house is not flooded after a storm when you are on vacation without putting every inch of your home on constant surveillance? I feel like this should really be a thing.

Why not just keep the fixed cameras unplugged until you’ll be out of the house a sufficient number of days to need it? Seems less insane that whatever this is.

If attack vectors/data privacy are your reasoning, handing video feed of your house that can be physically moved via remote action is way worse than fixed cameras. Also why would you want this random rear end company to have live access to video feed from your home?

You could also get a HomeKit secure video camera if you use apple. Or run a self-hosted camera system that offers remote access so data logs, video recording, etc are done locally.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Inept posted:

So by paying for a robot, you can know in the middle of your vacation that your house is destroyed, instead of after you get back? That sounds worse
I get it, I definitely would be on top of my basement flooding and have people to call with keys and the plumbers number and poo poo for remote emergencies.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why not just keep the fixed cameras unplugged until you’ll be out of the house a sufficient number of days to need it? Seems less insane that whatever this is.

If attack vectors/data privacy are your reasoning, handing video feed of your house that can be physically moved via remote action is way worse than fixed cameras. Also why would you want this random rear end company to have live access to video feed from your home?

I would like to have 24/7 100% video coverage of my house as an option and also be like, yeah, that camera should absolute not be in my bedroom at 2AM.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

priznat posted:

Anyone have recommendations for homekit capable light switches that can adjust both dimmer and colour? I have been using the ikea tradfri one with the bulbs but man it just chews through CR2032 batteries, it’s annoying.

Like do you mean compatible with a dimmer or just that you can dim them with software? Or a dimmer button?

Hue is probably fine. I also really like lifx (and they don't need a hub no matter how many you have) but they are slightly less reliable than hue lights, and have worse software/connectivity (but if you use homekit it doesn't matter a ton).

Although I will if we're talking hardware dimmer button, it also, it murders cr2032. I think something about controlling lights just takes too much power for the little batteries to hang.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rick posted:

Like do you mean compatible with a dimmer or just that you can dim them with software? Or a dimmer button?

Hue is probably fine. I also really like lifx (and they don't need a hub no matter how many you have) but they are slightly less reliable than hue lights, and have worse software/connectivity (but if you use homekit it doesn't matter a ton).

Although I will if we're talking hardware dimmer button, it also, it murders cr2032. I think something about controlling lights just takes too much power for the little batteries to hang.

Ah yeah, just software dimming thru homekit is good. But yeah probably won’t get another cr2032 based one again, they need something that uses an AA or AAA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The good news about homekit is that everything almost works the same. I am curious about some of the cheaper brands on Amazon but I'm also out of places to put lights (I guess I could replace some dumb LEDs but they work so that seems silly).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Three Olives posted:

This is a horror movie from the early 90s. Just can't place which one.

If it wasn't exactly this, it was a doll like Chucky or some other toy.

Don't buy this

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TraderStav posted:

Don't buy this

*cat scratches the furniture*

YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO COMPLY

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fletcher posted:

*cat scratches the furniture*

YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO COMPLY

I very very rarely laugh out loud when reading on my phone but this got me hard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TraderStav posted:

Don't buy this

Ughhh I can't remember much but it was lil insect walking drones like this that had some kind of hypodermic needle on them right? What the hell was that movie.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Runaway with Tom Selleck. Though that was a bit before the 90s.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

calandryll posted:

Runaway with Tom Selleck. Though that was a bit before the 90s.

Ahhh yeah I was thinking Tom Selleck for some reason. Thanks

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
anyone using eufy and homebase 3 or have any recommendation? i'm looking to replace my lovely ring doorbell wireless system and it seems pretty solid for a midway between self hosting and ease of setup

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been running Home Assistant on a Rasberry Pi for several years, and it's been great. I've got a proxmox machine now though, and it'd be nice to be able to repurpose the pi for something else.

I've got a debian VM on proxmox that I use to run a bunch of different apps via docker compose. There seem to be four flavors of Home Assistant for Linux: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux

Container & Core seem a little bit gimped in not being able to import backups, so I was going to try Home Assistant Supervised. Maybe that's unnecessary though, since I can just do backups outside of Home Assistant through other means?

The installation instructions for Home Assistant Supervised seem straight forward enough. Can I just do docker-in-docker to run this?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hmmm maybe Home Assistant Container is just fine for my needs

I copied off everything in the config & .storage folders from the pi, started up the container, logged in with my existing username and password, and everything seems to be there. For backups I can manage that myself since /config is just a bind mount to the host machine, and for updates I just pin it to a new version of the container and start it up. Is that all there is to it?? Doesn't seem like I'm missing out on anything by just using Home Assistant Container.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fletcher posted:

I've been running Home Assistant on a Rasberry Pi for several years, and it's been great. I've got a proxmox machine now though, and it'd be nice to be able to repurpose the pi for something else.

I've got a debian VM on proxmox that I use to run a bunch of different apps via docker compose. There seem to be four flavors of Home Assistant for Linux: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux

Container & Core seem a little bit gimped in not being able to import backups, so I was going to try Home Assistant Supervised. Maybe that's unnecessary though, since I can just do backups outside of Home Assistant through other means?

The installation instructions for Home Assistant Supervised seem straight forward enough. Can I just do docker-in-docker to run this?

Why not just install HAOS in a VM on the Proxmox machine? They even provide VM files. (This is how I have mine set up and it’s rock solid.)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah seconding just using their VM with the arch you need. Mine’s been flawless and proxmox (or whatever master OS/hypervisor) passing your USB transceivers into the new VM is very straightforward.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Looks like they have 3 flavors of VM images. It seems like you have to do some sort of conversion to import it into Proxmox, is that right?

Is there an advantage of going the VM route rather than a container running in my existing VM?

edit: I don't currently have any additional USB devices attached to my pi, if that matters!

fletcher fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 4, 2023

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

fletcher posted:

Looks like they have 3 flavors of VM images. It seems like you have to do some sort of conversion to import it into Proxmox, is that right?

Is there an advantage of going the VM route rather than a container running in my existing VM?

Hass is one of the weirdest, most unintuitive pieces of software that I’ve ever used. And yeah, there’s a huge difference between the operating system and a containerized version of hass: The OS can use the addon store, and the containerized version cannot. Why? Who knows.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

bobfather posted:

Hass is one of the weirdest, most unintuitive pieces of software that I’ve ever used. And yeah, there’s a huge difference between the operating system and a containerized version of hass: The OS can use the addon store, and the containerized version cannot. Why? Who knows.

I assume because HA addons are just Docker containers themselves? My Docker knowledge is fairly basic but running Docker within Docker seems like a bad idea.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bobfather posted:

The only addon I've had installed for the last 3 years is File Editor. Looking through the addon store, I don't see any others I may want to use in the future. I already use a bunch of the apps in there, but I don't run them in Home Assistant. I like having Home Assistant just do smart home automation stuff, and nothing more.

ShoeFly posted:

I assume because HA addons are just Docker containers themselves? My Docker knowledge is fairly basic but running Docker within Docker seems like a bad idea.

It is very common to run docker in docker for CI/CD pipelines. They even offer a bunch of official images for dind (docker-in-docker): https://hub.docker.com/_/docker

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

The only addon I've had installed for the last 3 years is File Editor. Looking through the addon store, I don't see any others I may want to use in the future. I already use a bunch of the apps in there, but I don't run them in Home Assistant. I like having Home Assistant just do smart home automation stuff, and nothing more.

I'm of the same mind with "just do home automation on this thing" but I'm using several addons that enable that, most importantly zwave and an mqtt broker. I also have an addon for my cheap doorbell camera (amcrest2mqtt) so it passes on button presses and motion alerts to HA. So depending on what devices you want to use the addon system might be pretty critical to your success.

(FYI log viewer is pretty great also and one of the ones I've had installed forever along with file editor)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bobfather posted:

My understanding is that it is a privileges issue. I’m not familiar enough with Debian permissions, but when it’s run in docker it can’t have elevated privileges (therefore it runs in “supervised” mode). I believe there is a way to elevate it when in docker, but it’s generally annoying and harder to troubleshoot when you run into issues.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

fletcher posted:

It is very common to run docker in docker for CI/CD pipelines. They even offer a bunch of official images for dind (docker-in-docker): https://hub.docker.com/_/docker

I stand corrected!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

poo poo like this is gonna ruin me. https://blakadder.com/gl-s10/

I have two Aranet4 sensors. They’re not necessarily within range of the HA server, so I’m going to need a remote BT receiver.

Besides, a remote BT connection does seem to be a pretty handy thing in general…

e: has anyone else already solved this problem in a way that doesn’t require me to buy 4 niche tools and flash firmware onto disassembled silicon. I’ll freakin’ do it… but I don’t wanna.

DNK fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 5, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

fletcher posted:

edit: I don't currently have any additional USB devices attached to my pi, if that matters!

It's been a while since I tried it but when I was first setting up Home Assistant, the containerized version and the Core version both seemed less stable and less feature rich than the full VM or Bare Metal versions. I don't know if this is still the case but Docker and Core couldn't run HACS which significantly limits the integrations available to you depending on the devices you're running. And like Motronic said, while most of the add-ons are better suited to a VM or host other than your HA machine, File Editor is super useful and some Z-Wave and MQTT stuff runs as add-ons.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 5, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DNK posted:

poo poo like this is gonna ruin me. https://blakadder.com/gl-s10/

I have two Aranet4 sensors. They’re not necessarily within range of the HA server, so I’m going to need a remote BT receiver.

Besides, a remote BT connection does seem to be a pretty handy thing in general…

e: has anyone else already solved this problem in a way that doesn’t require me to buy 4 niche tools and flash firmware onto disassembled silicon. I’ll freakin’ do it… but I don’t wanna.

It’s more expensive, but will this do what you need?

https://thingpulse.com/product/espgateway/

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s more expensive, but will this do what you need?

https://thingpulse.com/product/espgateway/

That’s basically what I linked except:
Pro: has two ESP32 modules if that’s what you’re into
Pro: …which already have their pins exposed
Con: does not have an ethernet port
Con: requires USB-C power (instead of POE)

But I appreciate (sincerely!) the thought you put into finding something similar. If I manage to flash one of these Bluetooth extenders and it works well, I may end up creating an e-store to resell/ship those fuckers in bulk with a $50 markup because this feels like an actual market gap.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DNK posted:

That’s basically what I linked except:
Pro: has two ESP32 modules if that’s what you’re into
Pro: …which already have their pins exposed
Con: does not have an ethernet port
Con: requires USB-C power (instead of POE)

But I appreciate (sincerely!) the thought you put into finding something similar. If I manage to flash one of these Bluetooth extenders and it works well, I may end up creating an e-store to resell/ship those fuckers in bulk with a $50 markup because this feels like an actual market gap.

They have an Ethernet version (still not POE though).

https://thingpulse.com/product/espgateway-ethernet-esp32-wifi-ble-gateway-with-rj45-ethernet-connector/

Ethernet version has one ESP32. This is because the WiFi version uses 1 ESP32 for espnow and 1 for WiFi (as you can’t run WiFi and espnow concurrently). No need on Ethernet as they can run concurrently.

You’re honestly probably better off at this point just buying an ESP32 board with POE wired in, or just wiring one in yourself.

Or you could run something like this.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3785

They exist for most other power connectors, then you don’t need to explicitly purchase a POE device.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's been a while since I tried it but when I was first setting up Home Assistant, the containerized version and the Core version both seemed less stable and less feature rich than the full VM or Bare Metal versions. I don't know if this is still the case but Docker and Core couldn't run HACS which significantly limits the integrations available to you depending on the devices you're running. And like Motronic said, while most of the add-ons are better suited to a VM or host other than your HA machine, File Editor is super useful and some Z-Wave and MQTT stuff runs as add-ons.

I run HACS on the containerized version of hass

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there any way to be able to control some of my HomeKit stuff on an Android device or should I just finally set up Home Assistant? Just turning stuff on/off is fine

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I run HACS on the containerized version of hass

ah, good to know that's doable now! It's the main reason I ended up not using Docker at the time.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just run a Home Assistant VM in Proxmox since a separate "machine" is what seems like support and everything is geared for. Been working just fine. If I was more competent with all this stuff I might try to run the stuff all in separate Docker containers.

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 5, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

odiv posted:

I just run a Home Assistant VM in Proxmox since that's what it seems like support and such is geared for. Been working just fine. If I was more competent with all this stuff I might try to run the stuff all in separate Docker containers.

I've been running the VM in VMWare ESXi for years now as well as a "bare metal" one on a Pi. With the way their backups work I don't see the need to try to janitor a box or a bunch of containers - the build is totally disposable to me at this point. Restores from backup just work, and work perfectly every time I've had to do one.

That's one of the things they've finally gotten totally right and I'm glad they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Can anyone recommend a good article on smart lights? I am looking to put some smart lighting w colors in my kids rooms, bulbs and strips, as well as some dimmer bulbs in various rooms. I already have a google home device which I’m hoping to use for control. I don’t think I need a hub or smart switches but I could be wrong. Sounds like the original light switches need to remain on to use the smart bulbs? Not really sure what best practices are for a relatively simple setup. I’d prefer not to do any wiring.