Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The glass screen protectors are a whole different world from the plastic film ones. They look and feel just like the naked screen, and I have two good dings on my 6+ glass screen protector that might have been a cracked screen without it. Definitely recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

It blows my goddamn mind that there are people who don't understand the concept of turning the screen off when they're finished using the phone for a period of time. Like just goes right into their pocket or purse or whatever until the screen naturally goes to sleep. I've met at least half a dozen people in my life that didn't even know you could turn the screen off or that it saves battery or anything. Un loving believable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ShoogaSlim posted:

It blows my goddamn mind that there are people who don't understand the concept of turning the screen off when they're finished using the phone for a period of time. Like just goes right into their pocket or purse or whatever until the screen naturally goes to sleep. I've met at least half a dozen people in my life that didn't even know you could turn the screen off or that it saves battery or anything. Un loving believable.

My dad's knowledge of computers goes up to the late 80's when he worked for Wang Labs. Last year he got an iPhone. He had it for weeks before I mentioned the lock button. It blew his loving mind like I totally changed his life.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2015

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
There's a reason the default lock time is a minute.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm running into a really annoying issue with imessages. I hop back and forth between my android phone and iphone, so I don't use imessages (they're turned off on the phone). Today I switched back to my iphone, and all incoming messages from iphone users are imessages, and anything I send are text messages. I tried deregistering my phone number using the tool from apple, but that didn't fix anything. Help?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Dude posted:

I'm running into a really annoying issue with imessages. I hop back and forth between my android phone and iphone, so I don't use imessages (they're turned off on the phone). Today I switched back to my iphone, and all incoming messages from iphone users are imessages, and anything I send are text messages. I tried deregistering my phone number using the tool from apple, but that didn't fix anything. Help?

By switch are you talking same SIM? Because that can be an issue.

This page might help. It's how to deregister the phone completely: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203042

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ :mad:

Super Dude posted:

From that setting, I don't think you can change whether you receive iMessages, only whether you send them.

Try this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

sorry about your aspergers

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

flosofl posted:

By switch are you talking same SIM? Because that can be an issue.

This page might help. It's how to deregister the phone completely: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203042

Yes, I swap the SIM card, but I've been doing that for over a year now, it's nothing new.

I ended up just wiping my whole phone and setting it up again, now it's working correctly.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Karki posted:

Are people on this thread really still buying screen protectors? They make your screen look like poo poo and feel like poo poo. They are also much less resistant to scratches and oil than the bare screen, which makes them look even more terrible over time. I haven't seen a scratched iPhone screen in years. Those are the real snake oil.

Plus the glass screen is actually more scratch resistant than the metal back.

Don't know why anyone would go caseless though, not so much for impact resistance but for the grip.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hey, this is confusing for me as well!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Hey guys. Quick question I asked in the Verizon thread but I figure you iPhone guys would have a quicker answer as time is sort of an issue.

iPhone 6+. Are they still (or ever were) really as bendy fragile as people make out? I ask because I do actually wear clothes that have tight pockets, and while it will fit itll be tight. And me bending to tie a shoe and bending my phone is going to make me pretty upset. If thats been over blown, cool. But I really dont like heavy large cases, and the strongest case itll get is a feather light or something like a bumper.

Ease my concerns apple guys. I'm going to come back to the dark side after many years of ignoring apple mostly. New iPad and I'm feelin the apple juices flowing so help me stay with a big screen or at least lemme know and ill suffer with a smaller screen if its really that bad. I really hope its over blown though. The battery, screen, and I guess camera are huge things :(

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 13, 2015

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

EbolaIvory posted:

Hey guys. Quick question I asked in the Verizon thread but I figure you iPhone guys would have a quicker answer as time is sort of an issue.

iPhone 6+. Are they still (or ever were) really as bendy fragile as people make out? I ask because I do actually wear clothes that have tight pockets, and while it will fit itll be tight. And me bending to tie a shoe and bending my phone is going to make me pretty upset. If thats been over blown, cool. But I really dont like heavy large cases, and the strongest case itll get is a feather light or something like a bumper.

Ease my concerns apple guys. I'm going to come back to the dark side after many years of ignoring apple mostly. New iPad and I'm feelin the apple juices flowing so help me stay with a big screen or at least lemme know and ill suffer with a smaller screen if its really that bad.

Last I heard, Apple will replace any bent phone without any fuss, so even if it did happen there's that, though I imagine you'd be out of luck if it's past warranty. I'm sure it was mostly overblown, but one of the writers for the Verge posted that his phone became bent after a couple months, so it's also not just some dude who made a viral video that everyone freaked out about.

Basically, I'd say get the phone, you'll love it, just maybe take it out of your pocket before tying your shoes. :shobon:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Space Racist posted:

Last I heard, Apple will replace any bent phone without any fuss, so even if it did happen there's that, though I imagine you'd be out of luck if it's past warranty. I'm sure it was mostly overblown, but one of the writers for the Verge posted that his phone became bent after a couple months, so it's also not just some dude who made a viral video that everyone freaked out about.

Basically, I'd say get the phone, you'll love it, just maybe take it out of your pocket before tying your shoes. :shobon:

I've always been huge on applecare and what not. So if they really are being that good about it, gently caress it, I'll take a trip to apple every handful of months. Just sucks though, Because I have to carry it for work, and I carry, bend, lift, get in and out of cars, etc all day. So like, Maybe a metal bumper case or something? Yeah I'm thinking gently caress it 6+ honestly.

Speaking of which. Thin, Light weight case options? Any recommendations? I dont like TPU poo poo though. The heaviest case I've used in 5 years is a flip cover (Galaxy S3, G2, G3) So like, basically no actual case but a cardboard cover with a hole in it on the screen, Thin is important.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

EbolaIvory posted:

Speaking of which. Thin, Light weight case options? Any recommendations? I dont like TPU poo poo though. The heaviest case I've used in 5 years is a flip cover (Galaxy S3, G2, G3) So like, basically no actual case but a cardboard cover with a hole in it on the screen, Thin is important.

Apple's Leather Case. I love mine on my 6+.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
The iPhones 6 and 6+ were very obviously designed to be used with the Apple leather case.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

IllegallySober posted:

Apple's Leather Case. I love mine on my 6+.

Holy poo poo thats sexy.

So being a cheap rear end. Anywhere other than apple to get it for less than 49? I mean whatever, I guess I'll pony up 50, wouldnt be the first thin piece of whatever I overpaid for. Saving a buck would be rad though!

Seriously, That things pretty sex.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

EbolaIvory posted:

Holy poo poo thats sexy.

So being a cheap rear end. Anywhere other than apple to get it for less than 49? I mean whatever, I guess I'll pony up 50, wouldnt be the first thin piece of whatever I overpaid for. Saving a buck would be rad though!

Seriously, That things pretty sex.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-OE...=item4633ec6df8

They have other colors in the related items

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite my general dislike of cases, I did have one of those apple leather cases on my 5 and it was pretty drat solid. It was on clearance for like $15 bux though and the corners wore out pretty quickly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What's the current thread consensus recommendation on screen protectors for iPhone (and iPad too, I guess)? Brand-wise, I mean... I know glass is the way to go in terms of material.

Also is there any word on when LifeProof will be releasing their Frē cases for iPhone 6 Plus?

And I see something on Page 2 of the thread about an iPhone 6S Plus? What's this business? :stare:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 13, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What's the current thread consensus recommendation on screen protectors for iPhone (and iPad too, I guess)? Brand-wise, I mean... I know glass is the way to go in terms of material.

Also is there any word on when LifeProof will be releasing their Frē cases for iPhone 6 Plus?

And I see something on Page 2 of the thread about an iPhone 6S Plus? What's this business? :stare:

Got the belkin glass one they sell at the Apple Store for a ridiculous $35. Now I don't even notice it because it's actually paper thin and oleophobic and all that poo poo.

The $10 one I bought from the source originally was like .5mm thick and it was noticeable and kind of annoying. Don't remember the brand.

EbolaIvory posted:

I've always been huge on applecare and what not. So if they really are being that good about it, gently caress it, I'll take a trip to apple every handful of months. Just sucks though, Because I have to carry it for work, and I carry, bend, lift, get in and out of cars, etc all day. So like, Maybe a metal bumper case or something? Yeah I'm thinking gently caress it 6+ honestly.

Dude, just try out the phone you want and if you hate it or need a case, figure it out then. You can return it after 14 days. You're being very odd about this whole thing. Nobody here can tell you if a huge phone fits into your shoe-tying habits.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I'm kinda feeling like getting a iPhone 6. It sucks that it doesn't come in 32gb.
My main question is that I'm skeptical to liking it, since I really like my 5. Should I instead just go for a 5s?
Did anyone first hate the 6? Then went on to love it after using it?
I'm not a fan of big phones and it seems really big.
Also how big is the difference between the camera on it, front and back compared to the 5?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I

Simple Simon posted:

So I'm kinda feeling like getting a iPhone 6. It sucks that it doesn't come in 32gb.
My main question is that I'm skeptical to liking it, since I really like my 5. Should I instead just go for a 5s?
Also how big is the difference between the camera on it, front and back compared to the 5?

I've had every iPhone and going from a 5S to a 6 felt really natural if anything. I didn't realize the size jump (since I didn't have a 5S for about a week).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

tuyop posted:

Got the belkin glass one they sell at the Apple Store for a ridiculous $35. Now I don't even notice it because it's actually paper thin and oleophobic and all that poo poo.

The $10 one I bought from the source originally was like .5mm thick and it was noticeable and kind of annoying. Don't remember the brand.

Dude, just try out the phone you want and if you hate it or need a case, figure it out then. You can return it after 14 days. You're being very odd about this whole thing. Nobody here can tell you if a huge phone fits into your shoe-tying habits.

Well if you read more than 1 post of mine you'd see that I've already said gently caress it and decided on a 6+

Its "odd" because due to how I'm getting my upgrade, I won't have a 14 day window. This wasn't an issue of liking iOS or the size of the device my major issue was bendy phones.

Either way. R>C>P

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Simple Simon posted:

The 5 has been my favorite so far of all the iPhones I've had (out of 4,5,6). I remember my biggest complaint about it being that I really wanted a bigger screen. The 6 provides that bigger screen, which is satisfying, and now whenever I hold someone's 5 it feels almost comically small in comparison. However, the 5 feels way more solid than the 6. I'm not a fan of the rounded edges of the 6 and I've complained in this thread about the power button being directly opposite volume up.

If you're concerned about the size difference, I would say it isn't a huge jump up in size and it feels worthwhile to be able to view content better. It loses a bit of one-handed operability but I couldn't see myself ever using a phone the size of the 5 ever again. I just really miss the way that phone felt. Ah well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

Well if you read more than 1 post of mine you'd see that I've already said gently caress it and decided on a 6+

Its "odd" because due to how I'm getting my upgrade, I won't have a 14 day window. This wasn't an issue of liking iOS or the size of the device my major issue was bendy phones.

Either way. R>C>P

No, it's odd because you write like a character from a webcomic and it makes you sound very strange.

I'm only telling you this because I respect you and think that, with reflection, you can overcome this.

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride

Simple Simon posted:

I never had the 5 or the 5s but I really hate how big the iPhone 6 is coming from the 4s. The big screen is cool for all the reasons that people like a big screen but it tries to jump out of my pocket constantly while I'm working to the point where I don't even carry it with me anymore. If you chill at a desk all day or whatever it is great but if you do a lot of crouching and kneeling it is a pain in the rear end.

Don't buy the 5s though. I think you'll like the the 6, I just have a problem that is very specific to someone with small slippery pockets and I refuse to change myself to accommodate a phone.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Don't know why anyone would go caseless though, not so much for impact resistance but for the grip.

This is the first iphone I've ever put a case on, because the metal back is so goddamn smooth it flies out of your hands if they're even slightly dry.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I just got a wallet case for the 6+.

I'm liking it.

What's happening to me?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be careful next time you walk down the aisle selling fanny packs, ok?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

Just be careful next time you walk down the aisle selling fanny packs, ok?

I dunno if that's an issue...still fits in my non-hipster jeans pocket :haw:.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

I just got a wallet case for the 6+.

I'm liking it.

What's happening to me?

Link?

E; vvvv I'm actually a big DualPro fan too. Had it on my 5 for two years so I got two for my 6+. Ive got the lime one on right now and I'm selling the unopened black one over at SA mart, actually.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
On casechat, I would like to recommend the case I use for my iPhone 6, it's really fantastic. I've never tried the Leather case, but it looks like an alternative to that which is cheaper and might be better; it also covers the bottom with enough room for aftermarket lightning connectors.

It's super solid, uber grippy, but thin enough not too add very much bulk. It will also protect wonderfully in most falls, and the lip covers the screen.

Incipio DualPro: http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualPro%C2%AE-iPhone-Black/dp/B00MUQ9DLO

It looks best on the Steel Gray phone. I've been using Incipio cases for a long time and they've always impressed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Link?

E; vvvv I'm actually a big DualPro fan too. Had it on my 5 for two years so I got two for my 6+. Ive got the lime one on right now and I'm selling the unopened black one over at SA mart, actually.

I've been using the TwelveSouth SurfacePad for a few months and been pretty happy with it. Never cased any phone til the 6, but it's a little too slippery without a case. The SurfacePad isn't too thick - only really holds 3 cards but that's all I wanted (ID, smarttrip, and credit card.). Holding up pretty well so far too.

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride

Michael Scott posted:

On casechat, I would like to recommend the case I use for my iPhone 6, it's really fantastic. I've never tried the Leather case, but it looks like an alternative to that which is cheaper and might be better; it also covers the bottom with enough room for aftermarket lightning connectors.

It's super solid, uber grippy, but thin enough not too add very much bulk. It will also protect wonderfully in most falls, and the lip covers the screen.

Incipio DualPro: http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualPro%C2%AE-iPhone-Black/dp/B00MUQ9DLO

It looks best on the Steel Gray phone. I've been using Incipio cases for a long time and they've always impressed.

What's with the absurdly large manufacturer's logo on this case? I would buy that case if it wasn't on there. Like I really don't understand why they need their logo on it at all but that's just obnoxious.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

What's with the absurdly large manufacturer's logo on this case? I would buy that case if it wasn't on there. Like I really don't understand why they need their logo on it at all but that's just obnoxious.

For 15 bucks I don't mind it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

If you get the the translucent incipio ngp it's barely noticeable.

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-NGP%C2%AE-iPhone-Translucent-Frost/dp/B00MUQ9I5U/ref=pd_sim_cps_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1732RMCFWTPG5ATGH8P7

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Link?

I considered the expensive stuff by Twelve South. I dismissed the surface pad mainly because it doesn't look like it offers much more than basic scratch protection to the screen. The BookBook looks really cool and i like the fact that the interior shell case detaches. However, it didn't have a magnetic clasp so i thought the front of the case would flop around a lot.

I ended up getting this: http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Verus-...e+iphone+6+plus

Decent amount of storage (3 credit cards, a few banknotes, insurance card + driver's license without looking too bulky) and it's got the double small style" magnetic clasps (aka not the 1.5 inch-long single one that just flaps around when the case is open). And it's $20.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 13, 2015

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

shodanjr_gr posted:

The BookBook looks really cool and i like the fact that the interior shell case detaches. However, it didn't have a magnetic clasp so i thought the front of the case would flop around a lot.

I bought the BookBook, but the detachable case part doesn't work well. It's a struggle to get it back in sometimes, and it falls out unasked other times. I wanted to like it, but wound up returning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just saw the App Store icon on my lock screen in the suggested apps spot. When I swiped up to view it, it was just a fully blank App Store page, no splash or item displayed at all. What's up with that? Is it a recommended app nearby that I don't have and the link is busted?