Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Maybe one of your hilarious edits will be included in there hogge wilde

still mad about your anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

PMush Perfect posted:

There's a pretty good list of comics there. H!AV, Nimona, Dinosaur Comics, Nedroid, GWS, Octopus Pie...

Fake Edit Can't wait to see the loving fits people in this thread throw at QC being in the Library of Congress.

It seems entirely appropriate:

https://lccn.loc.gov/96095038

Frankly, their inclusion is long overdue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Maybe one of your hilarious edits will be included in there hogge wilde

SA is already in the library, this just adds context.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I think QC is appropriate just for how long-running, reliable, and weirdly successful it is. Even if it's not actually good.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
cad should be there :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nimona is a Good Comic.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the most satisfying possible reveal for scary go round's Island of Reject Characters arc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It Hurts!! didn't pass the cut :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Just found this thread, and needed to post about Octopus Pie.

I honestly hurt more about the end of OP than I did about Achewood. The characters were smart, funny, likable, and had a ridiculous amount of depth. The art was fantastic, and the switch to full color made it even more amazing: vivid sunsets, subway lights, storms, disco balls all helping to set the mood and tell a story. I just turned 30 this year, and Octopus Pie helped me through so much poo poo as a twenty-something. Now that I live in NYC, I find myself noticing lots of little local nods in my re-read. And there's so much that's just so sad about it, and hits in just the right way. When Marek is graduating, and Eve tells him she's starting to see the cracks in their social circle, and that she thought he and Hanna had the perfect relationship, and Marek pauses, and you can see his eyes for the first time. When Hannah is trying to outrun her own thoughts and the panels are disjointed and spread all across the page. Eve having the same dreams of the beach and the starfish for so long, and trying so desperately to figure it out. Aimee saying goodbye to Will, musing that for her, the relationship was a mistake of her youth, but Will was in his prime. It's just so funny and bittersweet and painful and beautiful, and I'm going to loving miss it like the dickens.

I guess that's it bye

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It Hurts!! didn't pass the cut :(

this is bullshit!! :argh:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

this is bullshit!! :argh:

iirc one of the criteria was that it had to be a long running comic, not that it had to be a good one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

cad should be there :(

I unironically agree. It's an example of the "two guys on a couch" model of early webcomics, it is (or was, for some reason) popular, and loving half the internet (including many other webcomic artists) have done some sort of reference or parody of loss.jpg. As far as webcomics go, it's a cultural icon. But mostly I just wanna see Loss and Strangle.jpg enshrined forever alongside great works of art. :unsmigghh:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

I unironically agree. It's an example of the "two guys on a couch" model of early webcomics, it is (or was, for some reason) popular, and loving half the internet (including many other webcomic artists) have done some sort of reference or parody of loss.jpg. As far as webcomics go, it's a cultural icon. But mostly I just wanna see Loss and Strangle.jpg enshrined forever alongside great works of art. :unsmigghh:

Yeah, it's lacking at least a gamer comic and a sprite comic. And since they collect folklore, memes and poo poo, CAD with its loss.jpg should definitely be there. I didn't see any rpg-comics either. And now that I think of it, Sluggy Freelance should definitely be there too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
8 Bit Theater is the only good sprite comic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

...Kid Radd?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's the comic version of JG Ballard's Concrete Island.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

ms paint masterpieces is legit good

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bobulus posted:

...Kid Radd?

Yeah, Kid Radd is the only one to actually use the medium well.

Come to think of it, animated panels playing through a console viewer should have been an obvious thing to do for a sprite comic. I'm surprised there haven't been many imitators of that kind of thing. My guess is sprite comics have such a stigma attached to them that anyone who is going to put that kind of effort is probably just going to stick to a different style anyways. It's a shame though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobulus posted:

...Kid Radd?

pixel art, not technically sprites since they're all fictional games

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

They better include Pokey the Penguin and Jerk City

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dabir posted:

pixel art, not technically sprites since they're all fictional games

I don't think that's a meaningful distinction. A sprite is still a sprite whether it comes from a game or was custom made. There are quite a few sprite comics that use sprites that were made by the author but they are still sprite comics.

You could have a pixel comic without sprites, but that would be more like a comic where the artist draws out every panel with pixels. But that's not Kid Radd or 8-bit, etc.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

JuniperCake posted:

I don't think that's a meaningful distinction. A sprite is still a sprite whether it comes from a game or was custom made. There are quite a few sprite comics that use sprites that were made by the author but they are still sprite comics.

You could have a pixel comic without sprites, but that would be more like a comic where the artist draws out every panel with pixels. But that's not Kid Radd or 8-bit, etc.

You aren't technically wrong, but people don't really refer to comics with sprite art as sprite comics unless they're using sprites from games, either wholesale like Bob and George or 8 Bit Theater or heavily modified like MS Paint Masterpieces. I usually hear people describe something like Diesel Sweeties as using pixel art, rather than as a sprite comic for example.

Like, by your definition technically the majority of Homestuck is a sprite comic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

You aren't technically wrong, but people don't really refer to comics with sprite art as sprite comics unless they're using sprites from games, either wholesale like Bob and George or 8 Bit Theater or heavily modified like MS Paint Masterpieces. I usually hear people describe something like Diesel Sweeties as using pixel art, rather than as a sprite comic for example.

Like, by your definition technically Homestuck is a sprite comic.

Homestuck includes minigames, so by any definition they're sprites.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wrist Watch posted:

Like, by your definition technically the majority of Homestuck is a sprite comic.

I agree with you but Homestuck has sprites for each character that exist to be copy-pasted and slightly modified so it kinda does have an argument to being a sprite comic (when it's not being an flash game/anime/whatever).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

All I'm trying to say is while it technically fits the definition it's not the first thing most people think of when they think of sprite comics, because for the longest time "sprite comic" meant "video game sprites"

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm trying to say is while it technically fits the definition it's not the first thing most people think of when they think of sprite comics, because for the longest time "sprite comic" meant "video game sprites"

Eh fair enough, a label is a label and if most people follow that distinction there's no point arguing against it. It does seem strange to me though.

Even then I think Kid Radd would be a weird edge case because all the sprites are "fake" video game sprites anyways.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr. Lobe posted:

They need to install a 10' x 10' video screen in the Smithsonian American Art Museum that just cycles between Jerkcity panels

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

Pokey should be there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

Pokey should be there.

YES

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
woah poppy

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Bummer. I wish all the makers of great things could enjoy making them as much as I enjoy reading them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wish Poppy creator the best, but I don't do comic to novel. Lost interest completely in Erfworld because of it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's apparent from that post that he's aware he's going to lose the majority of his audience if he does it that way. I'm not thrilled by the concept either, but if he can't make himself love the project anymore, it's not going to work out, and it's probably better to do something else than fall into a gradual spiral of longer and longer update delays until the comic just vanishes forever, which is the usual way people do this. It's a shame, but sometimes great things just don't last.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Well that's disappointing. But what can you do. :shrug:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's apparent from that post that he's aware he's going to lose the majority of his audience if he does it that way. I'm not thrilled by the concept either, but if he can't make himself love the project anymore, it's not going to work out, and it's probably better to do something else than fall into a gradual spiral of longer and longer update delays until the comic just vanishes forever, which is the usual way people do this. It's a shame, but sometimes great things just don't last.

Yeah, I think finishing it that way is better than not finishing it at all. Maybe the ideal solution would be finding an artist and focusing on the writing end of things since he still enjoys that. Though collaborations in general certainly aren't trivial undertakings either, lots of ways for that to be more work than it's worth.

Either way, he's just gotta do what works for him. I just hope this project doesn't burn him out on art all together.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I on the contrary would gladly read a Poppy book, let's do it

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm sad about this, Poppy is favorite currently running comic. I get why Morbi is ending it and am glad they're wrapping it up though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
poor ol poppy, saw lesbians and passed away

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, Poppy is easily top three of comics I'm reading, but I sympathize with Morbi's situation. You do you, ya can't force it~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, Poppy is easily top three of comics I'm reading, but I sympathize with Morbi's situation. You do you, ya can't force it~
Yeah. I think "finish out the current story, figure it out from there" is the best option. Figure out what works, and do that, rather than just forcing it until you burn out.

• Locked thread