Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I have errants, knights with officer, and 2 cinerators.

I know exemplars other than knights are bad. But they look great and I want to use them. Is vindictus my best bet or someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
We had a "Relaxed Tournament" today. It was a big hit and had a solid turnout as we've had a lot of new players in the area. The idea is that along with the army sheet, the players are handed a small sheet that asks to rate themselves on a scale of 1-10, if there is any armies they would like to play/avoid or any players they would like to play/avoid with only the Tournament Organizer seeing this sheet. This helped a lot of the new players get matched up against equally skilled players or anyone who was getting tired of getting stomped by a particular army. In the end, most of the crowd was just looking to get in two or three games in a laid back atmosphere. It was a lot of fun. The prizes, a Blighted Bather and a Gift Card, were raffled off with people getting tickets for winning a game, helping set stuff up, and other friendly stuff, along with everyone getting an extra ticket in which they would put something else's name on for being a good sport.

I brought out my Skorne after getting all hyped up by the errata and the recent Skorne chat in the thread. My first game was Xekaar against a new Khador player.

I was running;

http://conflictchamber.com/#b91bg26A5G5D6r6N5U6C5Rft6v6u

Skorne Army - 74 / 75 points

(Xekaar 1) Beast Master Xekaar [+31]
- Titan Sentry [15]
- Titan Gladiator [15]
- Titan Cannoneer [17]
- Agonizer [6]
- Aptimus Marketh [5]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Nihilators (max) [15]
Immortals (max) [15]
- Extoller Advocate [4]
Extoller Soulward [3]
Ancestral Guardian [5]

I know Xekaar is a bit of a lame duck as he just has so little to do in the opening turns of the game. Marketh trailing the Nihilators was my main source of Mortality and I cast Psycho Surgery only once, though it was handy. He has the spell list and feat of a good warcaster, I just wish he did something a bit more interesting. Still, the Agonizer paid dividends as it kept my Gladiator and Sentry alive against some mild attacks from his Kodiaks and Torch. Once I popped my feat, I was basically immune to his attacks as the Agonizer's -2 STR combined with Xekaar's -3 STR feat meant that my Sentry was effectively Armor 26 for a turn. Nihilators did their job of keeping his Widowmakers and Assault Commandos busy and even though I lost 8 of them on the way in, 2 Nihilators combined with Mortality basically butchered the Assault Commandos and half the Widowmakers by themselves. That's pretty much what always happens though but it still feels good to see one Nihilator carve up 6 enemies in one turn. He was a new player so I was really helping him out and trying to keep things light but after Strakov failed an assassination run after his jacks could not dent my Warbeasts and my infantry just kept coming out ahead, it was game over. Not a bad match to get back in the swing of it.

The second match I used pZaal and man have I forgotten how good Last Stand and that feat of his was.

I used;

http://conflictchamber.com/#b91b4r6r5G6A5U6C6h5Rft6u6Hfs

Skorne Army - 75 / 75 points

(Zaal 1) Supreme Aptimus Zaal [+26]
- Kovaas
- Agonizer [6]
- Titan Gladiator [15]
- Titan Sentry [15]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Nihilators (max) [15]
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer [6]
Immortals (max) [15]
- Extoller Advocate [4]
Ancestral Guardian [5]
Hakaar the Destroyer [7]
Legends of Halaak [8]

I was up against a friend's circle list with pBaldur. Man I'm bad at playing into Circle and it really showed in the first few rounds of the game. His Bloodweaver Night Witch ate 6 of my Nihilators up on turn 2, though this had an interesting effect of maxing out Hakkar's souls as he was trailing behind them and making him Armor 21 for the majority of the game. His sentry stones sprayed the rest of the unit to death almost immediately after. While that sucked, my Immortals proved their worth again (immediately moving up in my paint queue) as they got Zaal's armor buff and basically tanked an entire assault/charge turn from his Wolf Riders, losing only two in the process. They jumped them the next turn thanks to Vengeance and a nearby Guardian, killing them almost completely. The Agonizer/Sentry continue to just be a winning pair as it took Ghetorix, Megalith, and just about every trick he had to bring him down. Megalith got murdered by my Gladiator in the following turn and Ghetorix got straight up cut down by a Ancestral Guardian under Last Stand and Zaal's feat; killing him in 3 hits. That additional damage from Last Stand and ability to boost from the feat (thanks dead Nihilators!) is just brutal, plus my dice were a bit hot. Speaking of dice being hot, a Blackclad clipped Zaal with a spray during the "Kill the Sentry now" phase of the game and hit him pretty good, but I figured I could take a lil damage. My opponent was starting to feel the pressure as my Incorporeal Immortals were closing on Baldur and the Halaak Superfriends were cleaning up the Sentry Stones and Blackclads, leaving Baldur more and more exposed. He fired off a Stone Spikes spell from Baldur at Zaal and rolled triple 6 for damage, and with the Gladiator full on fury from pounding Megalith into rubble, I died. Boo and I was doing so well! Next turn a couple of Immortals and maybe the Kovaas were going to get a shot at the Baldur. Oh well, it was a great game and it felt great to come back from such a demoralizing turn 2 to turn it into an actual game.

I got the bye in turn 3 so I mostly just heckled a friend and watched a Epic Zaal fail a spell assassination run on Feora 3 despite having 22 fury from all his Immortals dying in a fire. (shameful, shameful dice). It was a great format and really fun tournament. Between work and school, I barely have time to play right now so it was nice to get in a couple of games in a laid back setting with good friends. I highly recommend the format to everyone, especially if you have some new players who are hesitant to jump into the "tournament" setting.

Oh! We also had some Valentine's Day style effects going on. A few tables had heart-shaped zones that were either forests or things like dense fog. The press ganger running the tournament is just the best and gave out valentines day presents in the final round. It was a bit of candy and card with some Warmachine art and a faction specific message like a Cryx caster saying "Let your soul be mine" or Kara Sloan with the message "I only have sights for you." I present mine below,

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 12, 2017

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

That's actually a neat idea. Gonna pass it along to our PG

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe you fuckers got me finishing up a unit of Sluggers right now :negative:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Fyrbrand posted:

Can't believe you fuckers got me finishing up a unit of Sluggers right now :negative:

Sluggers were always cool mang

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimmy Hats posted:

Sluggers were always cool mang

But now they are cool and good.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

chutche2 posted:

So I have errants, knights with officer, and 2 cinerators.

I know exemplars other than knights are bad. But they look great and I want to use them. Is vindictus my best bet or someone else?

Errants work well with anyone who can make them hit harder/more often (spells Ignite, Death March), give them pathfinder (Saxon Orrik), or just extend their threat (Crusader's Call on Harbinger). They're still a high-armor tarpit unit and Defender's Ward + concealment from Rhupert can still work quite well. Severius1 is terrific for them.

Lots of Exemplar are still good for various things. Vengers, Knights, Cinerators, and yes Errants do still have their uses, Bastions are the only ones I'd say are mostly poor right now

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
To be specific, I was wanting to run an Exemplar heavy list. The errants are objectively worse than idrians, but still usable. Finding one that can also deliver cinerators is tough.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
In the right matchup, the Errants' mini-feat can be pretty nasty. I personally find them harder to deal with than Idrians but I love me some magic attacks.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Agreed that defenders ward errants are still awesome in mk3. Having above average defense AND armor is very strong. I often defense buff idrians only to watch them get deleted by electroleaps, blast damage (non-mini feat turns) etc.

That being said, until idrians get curtailed a bit, they are the go to option in most lists for a 10 man guns+melee unit. They are just too good all round, they should be a solid ranged OR melee, but being that good at both is a bit over the top.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Fyrbrand posted:

Don't feel bad bro. Out of all the Skorne infantry out there I am currently painting nihilators because they are the only infantry I have primed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Agreed that defenders ward errants are still awesome in mk3. Having above average defense AND armor is very strong. I often defense buff idrians only to watch them get deleted by electroleaps, blast damage (non-mini feat turns) etc.

That being said, until idrians get curtailed a bit, they are the go to option in most lists for a 10 man guns+melee unit. They are just too good all round, they should be a solid ranged OR melee, but being that good at both is a bit over the top.

And even then, if they were good at both ranged and melee that isn't in and of itself the end of the world - but they also have great mobility and great defensive abilities. They cover almost every aspect you could want.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My store got Durant2 in, I picked him up.

His healing thing seems like it'd make sanguine bond kinda useful. I don't actually own bastions though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

chutche2 posted:

His healing thing seems like it'd make sanguine bond kinda useful. I don't actually own bastions though.

It's amazing with the Battle Engine.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Used my demo corps for the first time in mk3. Irusk1 manowar list. With battle lust two of them took down a warpwolf stalker, it was pretty great. Lost on scenario though, it was 3 flag vs kromac2, he was able to clear out the flanks pretty easily and kill my drakhuns, the speed disadvantage really hurt. I think this list does way better with zones than flags.

Kommandant Irusk - WJ: +27
- Destroyer - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Ruin - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)

Man-O-War Kovnik - PC: 5
Man-O-War Drakhun - PC: 9
Man-O-War Drakhun - PC: 9

Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
Man-O-War Shocktroopers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 16
- Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer - PC: 4
Man-O-War Bombardiers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 10
Man-O-War Demolition Corps - Leader & 4 Grunts: 15

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

chutche2 posted:

Bastions with 5 boxes just get killed generally, but maybe his Inviolable Resolve is what they need. That and pathfinder.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Apparently they'll be doing some sort of reveal for the new faction in about an hour. I know it's gonna be a limited-release style, but I'm hype as hell for it.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Tim Burton was a consulting designer :ssh:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

Apparently they'll be doing some sort of reveal for the new faction in about an hour. I know it's gonna be a limited-release style, but I'm hype as hell for it.

I thought it wasn't revealing until Smogcon?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Dropped High Reclaimer again into a friend playing Minions using the below list. I feated back an Exemplar UA and three buddies, put Hand of Fate on them, and they used Battle-Driven to charge to Carver on 0 Fury. The Officer one-shot him.

After the game we had questions about High Reclaimer's feat and how it's actually supposed to work, since I've never actually played him prior to last Thursday after the update dropped. I've tried searching the rules forums but I don't see anything from judges or infernals.

1. If an Officer UA comes back, can it still be placed anywhere on the board since it becomes the new Unit Commander as soon as it lands, or does it have to be placed within 3 inches of the existing leader?
2. Can I bring back models from a unit that has been completely destroyed? (my closer unit of Knights had been totally killed so I had to go with the farther ones)

(High Reclaimer 1) The High Reclaimer [+32]
- Eye of Truth [20]
- Templar [15]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Knights Exemplar [9]
- Knights Exemplar Officer [5]
Knights Exemplar [9]
- Knights Exemplar Officer [5]
Flameguard Cleansers (max) [15]
- Flameguard Cleanser Officer [4]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide [5]

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Harkano posted:

I thought it wasn't revealing until Smogcon?

I think the main reveal is still then, but there's a page up at PP with a timer which has hit zero (with nothing appearing, but we'll see if that's just a tech issue): http://privateerpress.com/reap-what-you-sow

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mp5 posted:

Dropped High Reclaimer again into a friend playing Minions using the below list. I feated back an Exemplar UA and three buddies, put Hand of Fate on them, and they used Battle-Driven to charge to Carver on 0 Fury. The Officer one-shot him.

Did you roll quad sixes, or was he inexplicably at zero fury AND didn't have Batten up?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

OLD WITCH 2 :siren:

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKwL0coBfs :siren:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Probably not. It's the hordes logo. Probably the holloween town guys

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Here's the sound

https://soundcloud.com/andros414/zafk-2

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Probably not. It's the hordes logo. Probably the holloween town guys

It is. Her name's in the audio. That's scrapjack. She's part of the new faction.

Video version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdDZ7ohzh5s

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

gently caress, that's for sure old witch 2. She faction hopped....

I really wanted a. Old witch 2 to play with, that looks super sick. Pretty much a 0% chance I'll be able to run her in faction

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The lovely poem says "in answer to Zevanna's call, my own murder of crows"...so is this some alt timeline Old Witch or her sister or something maybe?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

rydiafan posted:

Did you roll quad sixes, or was he inexplicably at zero fury AND didn't have Batten up?

I'm pretty sure the damage roll was 6-6-5-4-3-1, and he didn't have Batten up because he had to heal a warbeast and put Mobility up I believe

S.J.
May 19, 2008

head58 posted:

The lovely poem says "in answer to Zevanna's call, my own murder of crows"...so is this some alt timeline Old Witch or her sister or something maybe?

Nah, Old Witch is just getting the land into the game

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

head58 posted:

I feel like it's a stylistic thing, she's speaking in the third person.

According to a friend of mine, this is the poem text:

quote:

Here's what I got
"To save us from the bargain's terms, advanced the clock I have
Unleash deceivers and their dreams, may this plague be our salve
Now march forth ye children's tales, from where the hellfires glow
Come answer zavanna's call, my own murder of crows
And on the day the clock strikes doom, such blackness ye shall know
Oh by my iron taloned hands , reap mortals what they sow"

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

If she isn't partisan khador I will be a n g e r y

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So it's literal boogeymen

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am gonna be mad if all the "dead" casters end up in this new faction. And by dead I really just mean i worried that they will get a Mordikaar2 instead of Skorne.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Do I really have to buy a new faction to play old witch 2

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It wouldn't make sense to me for a warcaster to get a warlock model. And there's so way a non Merc minion is getting partisan.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

She's part of the land. She does what she wants.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

S.J. posted:

She's part of the land. She does what she wants.

If anything, she was a warlock long before she was a warcaster. Using warjacks is a new thing for her.

She's a force of nature, not a mortal. She can do what she wants.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Seems like it'd be pretty easy. Something like if she's used in khador she's a warcaster instead and has focus not fury. Idk. I'd be miffed if there's no way for her to be in khador.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It wouldn't make sense to me for a warcaster to get a warlock model. And there's so way a non Merc minion is getting partisan.

She is an immortal, god-like force of nature, older than the gods themselves. She can do what she wants.

A faction where she brings the nightmares of man to life would actually be pretty neat. Like my favorite faction in Malifaux. I have no objections to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My objection is that I just bought all these trolls and I'm gonna be even poorer than normal