Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope some of the FTWD Season 3 writers are doing the new Walking Dead season+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

One more week till FTWD starts back up.

My request for 3b is I want Daniel to comment on Nick's hair when they see each other

moths posted:

The big comics thing that's currently happening is an expedition to another settlement in Ohio(?) that Eugene contacted via shortwave radio. It has the potential to seriously restructure the cast, hopefully bringing in some fresh characters and ideas.
God yes, thank you. I've been waiting for them to leave Alexandria for almost as long as they've been there. They should have come, did their thing they usually do, and left. I'm not against them settling on principal, I just don't care for where they did it or how the storyline has been handled since.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What happened with (possible upcoming season spoilers) those skinwalking people and Neagan? I stopped reading the comics, but i'm curious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So FTWD is still in season 3 right now or is it over? I thought it was long over, but PSN has it on sale for $15 right now (tempting) and it says 8 eps with 18 to go?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

veni veni veni posted:

So FTWD is still in season 3 right now or is it over? I thought it was long over, but PSN has it on sale for $15 right now (tempting) and it says 8 eps with 18 to go?

Split season, AMC does it to avoid competing with other shows in that timeslot

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dongattack posted:

What happened with (possible upcoming season spoilers) those skinwalking people and Neagan? I stopped reading the comics, but i'm curious.

Negan was let out of his cell by the kid who assaulted Carl with bricks and made his eye bleed, and whose parents asked Gregory to poison Maggie in retaliation for Carl fighting back. The kid's father was killed by Rick via ripping out his jugular, and his mother was beheaded by the skinwalkers and was one of the extras who had her head placed on a pike. Negan goes off with the kid and guts him at the pike border. He befriends the leader of the skinwalkers, Alpha, and lives among them for a few days. Then when they think he's on their side, he beheads the leader and takes her head back to Rick as a peace offering. This starts the war with the skinwalkers.

A group of four, including Michonne and Aaron, trail Negan's escape route and run into this guy who's a foot taller than Negan, because the comic is ridiculous, called Beta. He guts Aaron, and there's some "he's barely breathing" drama but he lives. They repel the horde and successfully hide during the second walker assault on Alexandria and Hilltop. Only two redshirts and a main character, Andrea, died. The seven foot tall guy got away.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 3, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just want that fat nerd kid to show up again in FTWD. I bet he had a copy of the zombie survival guide and is a group leader by now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I shouldn't give AMC such power for free, but I have constructed a small BASIC program to help them write the new season of TWD

10 a=1000
20 a=a-1
30 Print "We have to kill Negan"
40 Print "We can't kill Negan"
50 Print "*Puts gun to Negan's face*"
60 Print "We can't kill Negan"
70 if a>0 goto 20
80 if a=0 print "*Wet Fart*"
90 END

veni veni veni posted:

The first half of the season is done. The second half of the season will be playing soon, before TWD returns.

It's also actually the best thing WD has put out on TV in a while, hilariously. I mean, I HOPE the writers realize they're writing the bad guys now, but they sure seemed to more than they did in the loving trainwreck that season the second half of season 2 or the stupidity of season 1 skipping everything we wanted to see partly because of writing and partly budget (LA with no zombies, climactic turning point battle happens.. over a radio off screen, etc).

Fear Season 3 is actually surprisingly entertaining. The first time TVIV didn't even bother to make a new thread for the show it was so bad it actually got pretty good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boinks posted:

I just want that fat nerd kid to show up again in FTWD. I bet he had a copy of the zombie survival guide and is a group leader by now.

Maybe when the psychotic Clark family cements their power and Madison is announced like Lord Humongous, she'll have to battle a goon alliance setup by fat prepared nerd kid

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do they even need the Trash People?

Who else is going to hunt CGI deer in the up up, where the world looks like a 2000 era photoshop

CptSpaulding
Feb 19, 2013

TWD is about the equivalent of izombie w/gore. Although I tune in every week. And every week I feel more brain cells melt away. When will I learn and just stop watching this poo poo?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CptSpaulding posted:

TWD is about the equivalent of izombie w/gore. Although I tune in every week. And every week I feel more brain cells melt away. When will I learn and just stop watching this poo poo?
Check out FTWD if you haven't already. First season is kind of dumb, but it's gotten progressively better over time, for the reasons Ownager's talking about.

And yeah, the main show has been awful for years.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Ersatz posted:

Check out FTWD if you haven't already. First season is kind of dumb, but it's gotten progressively better over time, for the reasons Ownager's talking about.

And yeah, the main show has been awful for years.

Nah, first 2 seasons of FTWD were both hot garbage. Somehow the showed jumped off its shark in season 3 and got better. Though I suspect not for the reasons the writers actually intended.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Nah, first 2 seasons of FTWD were both hot garbage. Somehow the showed jumped off its shark in season 3 and got better. Though I suspect not for the reasons the writers actually intended.

It sure feels more intentional this season than last.

Also whoever is the head writer now understands one thing: Do not linger. Holy gently caress do things move at a pretty snappy pace on Fear now. You'd burn whole WD seasons on what Fear plows through in 2 episodes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 5, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Finally watched the finale despite live watching the season. Just couldn't bring myself to watch it with so much other stuff on.

It was bad, real bad.

New season soon, eh? Can we please get 3-4 more 5 minute sessions of Negan pacing around being a bad boy with foul language? Really want more of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show has had a lot of lame villains but man, Neagan really takes the cake.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Haven't had a chance to watch the mid-season premier yet but the comments on the official facebook page (which this season have actually been really positive up until tonight) and the lack of comments in this thread are not promising. :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This was such a strange episode. It starts off with a wacky gun battle then it changed into a fallout type world and then at the end everyone finally started to work together.

El Bazar was an awesome place. That is what I want walking dead spin off show! It was almost like a further along place than the dam, they told her no one can see the leader of El Bazar. This was Daniel's advice to mexican priest lady. Good job getting a rock in the head lady!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 11, 2017

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Well. I didn't hate it? Madison needs to either die or take a backseat role though. Honestly I think she's one of the only things holding this back from being a genuinely good show. The other thing holding it back being the way this show is still being falsely marketed. It's a decent Post-Society Drama but it's not Zombie Survival/Horror. Anyway I really like almost everything about the current FTWD other than the godawful "protagonist" they're trying to shove down our throats. She's like the Hillary Clinton of The Walking Dead Universe. Go away Madison. Is it too late for James Cameron to cast her in the next 500 Avatar sequels too?

Also I love it every time Alicia talks poo poo to or about her mom and it gives me hope that she and Nick will just loving ditch her.

Tenzarin posted:

El Bazar was an awesome place. That is what I want walking dead spin off show!
Yesssssssssss, this is what I want to see more of. This is kind of what I had in mind when I first started watching the show in the first place. I actually didn't have much interest in the show in general until I found out they were in Baja.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, I hope Troy comes back soon. That somersault to 'ta-da!... ta-da?!' in Nick's hallucination cracked me up.

Comedy option: they go back to El Bazaar and he's taken it over.

Agree with the other posters saying Madison is the one thing holding it back. Also, I half-expect some 'childfree thinkpieces' raging about Madison making dismissive comments to Walker's metaphor about his pet dogs, comparing them to children.

E: hahaha Madison's 'I can help! I can fix this!' and then making things worse for them and Strand just encompasses all her poor decisions.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 11, 2017

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

There were some other problems too like Nick's confession to Troy felt really weird and how did he know Troy wouldn't just shoot him in the face? I feel like the premier suffered from some of the writing flaws that plagued the first two seasons. Hopefully everything picks back up next week 'cause I felt like the 3A premier suffered from similar problems but the rest of the half turned out pretty good.

Anyway I'm glad she's reunited with Strand and I hope that means more screen time for him.

I hope, with the new showrunners and producers next season, that they just kind of scrap Erickson's idea of Madison being the main character. It would be cool if they focused more on another character that they haven't already, like Daniel. I don't think FTWD should have a protagonist, I think it would be better if they focused on someone different every season. Like Nick was probably the main focus of season 1-2a, 2b was mixed, season 3 can be Madidumb's season and S4 should go to someone else.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Episode was kind of a slog, and the scenes with Madison/Troy and Nick/Troy were so goddamn frustrating. I also feel like they're falling back into those bad writing habits where characters act stupid sheerly for the sake of TENSION and DRAMA, Troy should have died like 4 separate times this episode but nope...can't kill him for *reasons*. The whole ranch setup is dumb and they can't drop that thread fast enough, honestly.

El Bazaar was a bit disconcerting but Strand showing up was a breath of fresh air. Jesus, he can act in circles around the rest of the cast, and he instantly makes Madison and Walker look so wooden with his confident grin and swagger. I wouldn't mind seeing the old Nick and Strand team back together, but before that happens I hope we can drop Madison out of another moving helicopter.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I actually kind of like Madison now. She's a force of nature, not a person. She enters the Bazar and in under 10 minutes smacked a dude with a shovel. Walker pulls a bunch of strings to make an agreement with a group that seems pretty powerful and mercurial? Madison stole the money right before the meeting. (Good job Walker on not noticing your briefcase was 30 pounds too light btw)

Combined with the fact she's basically invincible, she's just the embodiment of chaos in the post-apocalypse. She's a lot more fun to watch when you look at her this way.

I also like Alicia telling Nick that they need to stop trying to make their Mom love them cause she's broken.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

This was such a strange episode. It starts off with a wacky gun battle then it changed into a fallout type world and then at the end everyone finally started to work together.

El Bazar was an awesome place. That is what I want walking dead spin off show! It was almost like a further along place than the dam, they told her no one can see the leader of El Bazar. This was Daniel's advice to mexican priest lady. Good job getting a rock in the head lady!

El Bazar had the most reasonable security force we've ever, ever seen in Walking Dead. Salvaged swat armor and guards on every corner. Jesus even if infected got in they're wearing heavier armor than Glenn when he tanked an entire mob so they'd be fine.

I actually believe sneaking into and loving with El Bazar would be an utterly suicidal proposition. Meanwhile on the main show I think literally anybody could sneak into Negan's compound and murder people and get out if they really wanted because we've seen it.

Quite literally the citizens of El Bazar would steam roll Negan and that's loving hilarious. I love seeing security wearing things like, oh, actual armor.

ED: Can I take a moment to say how much better directed and how much difference actual extras made with El Bazar versus the Cartel tradepost that was like 6 dudes in total.

JossiRossi posted:

I actually kind of like Madison now. She's a force of nature, not a person. She enters the Bazar and in under 10 minutes smacked a dude with a shovel. Walker pulls a bunch of strings to make an agreement with a group that seems pretty powerful and mercurial? Madison stole the money right before the meeting. (Good job Walker on not noticing your briefcase was 30 pounds too light btw)

Combined with the fact she's basically invincible, she's just the embodiment of chaos in the post-apocalypse. She's a lot more fun to watch when you look at her this way.

I also like Alicia telling Nick that they need to stop trying to make their Mom love them cause she's broken.

I kind of hope that one-off "White witch of the apocalypse" joke comes back, because when she one day squares off with Rick's crew, that needs to be how she's announced.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 12, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

Finally watched the finale despite live watching the season. Just couldn't bring myself to watch it with so much other stuff on.

It was bad, real bad.

New season soon, eh? Can we please get 3-4 more 5 minute sessions of Negan pacing around being a bad boy with foul language? Really want more of that.

Fear is legitimately far better than the main show now, both through the main show continually getting worse and Fear getting much better, so there's that

veni veni veni posted:

This show has had a lot of lame villains but man, Neagan really takes the cake.

The problem isn't Negan, not really. It's sure not JDM. I don't mind a total shithead like him being in charge of the wasteland even though I'm pretty sure even Immortan Joe would tel him to turn it the gently caress down at times.

The problem is the script. Negan could be a prancing in your face shithead who loves to taunt you, if he had some sort of way to back it up. Handing Rick a baseball bat in a closed garage seperated from your men? Dumb as gently caress. Handing it to him while snipers have everyone he loves perfectly sighted? Now that's more a screw up. From what I understand in the comics he DOES use snipers and actual, you know, guards and the TV version of him has all the dumb lines and bluster with none of the, you know, even mild backup or way to enforce his bullshit.

That scene where Carl gets the gun pointed at Negan in the back of the truck TV vs Comic was a huge example of how subtle changes can gently caress everything up; it was almost shot for shot, except a few key things: Carl in the comic immediately opened fire, killed two people, started screaming for Negan and - this is important - started shooting at Negan the second he showed up. TV show Carl shot two people, asked for Negan, then watched him whistle up for 40 seconds not doing poo poo while Negan just said what a badass he was... which he said AFTER Carl was disarmed in the comic.

My point is, right there, that's the whole problem with Negan in a nutshell. The writers are taking stuff without taking context. On the show it's so loving clear Negan is alive because plot armor won't let characters shoot him, even if they are on suicide missions and have him dead to rights. In the comic it's clear people TRIED but failed to kill Negan; they DO take the shot, it's just that they don't succeed.

I know that sounds like a minor difference that ultimately leaves things in the same place, but it's way more than that. It's where you stop hiding the plot armor and rip it wide open for the world to see, so people KNOW the only reason Carl doesn't shoot Negan is plot, not that Carl just loving missed. It's jarring and it's TERRIBLY handled. It's the TV version of the Magican pulling the Rabbit out of his hat after the audience watched him stuff the rabbit in the table beneath the hat not ten seconds ago.

ED: I bet you $10 that there's several goons in the thread that could keep the exact plot structure and beats from last Walking Dead season and make it not stupid. The devil is in the details. All of the loving details.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

El Bazaar was great, it's exactly the kind of alternative worldbuilding I want to see in TWD universe--good to see not everything fell to poo poo and there's still some population. Reminded me of the bazaar in Valerian.

Also good: Strand is back! :swoon:

Ranch drama was compelling, I dug it. This show has come into it's own and is standing tall alongside the best of TWD.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah as critical as I was of certain scenes, at the end of it, I thought to myself "Still better than most of last season of TWD." I think my main issue with Madison is she's just not charismatic enough to sell the part.

Anyway I think FTWD has really good cinematography, and I like the camera filters they use more than the main show. And even when there's not a lot of action happening, it's well-paced.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been hate watching season 7 and just got to the thunder dome garbage dump weirdos and this is so stupid it almost comes full circle and makes this show good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who made that great gif of Eugene ranting about phalanxes and where is it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ahahahaha holy poo poo. Is that anyone else's highlight from last season?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahahahaha holy poo poo. Is that anyone else's highlight from last season?

Yep. Also the actual line in the movie might be the single dumbest thing I've ever heard/seen on the entire series. Like there has been some groan worthy poo poo but that just took the loving cake.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a terrible shame eugene will never get to visit the Kingdom on amicable terms now, he could've had a real home there

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, I see that Madison can get away with literally anything still

I love when a guard walks up to her and says she can't talk to Strand and Madison keeps walking and the guard is all "well okay, i guess you can do that whatever"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Ah, I see that Madison can get away with literally anything still

I love when a guard walks up to her and says she can't talk to Strand and Madison keeps walking and the guard is all "well okay, i guess you can do that whatever"

For real. When she was like "SHUTUP JAKE GIVE HIM ALL YER GUNS" I was just flabbergasted. Are you loving kidding me? The doomsday preppers are just gonna give up their guns? Really?

It'd be great if she got killed so hard in the finale. El Salvidad sees her and is just like, "nope, gently caress this bullshit, nope nope nope" and just throws her off the dam.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure why she didn't kill the Bad Son from the Preppers either when he murdered that red shirt. Also, how did she talk her away out of that one? "Sorry, Indian bro, that guy that I said not to kill killed another one of yours'

It was really, really dumb but I understood Alicia being 18 and saying the dumbest thing possible to a crowd that's on their wit's end

Also, if they have no water wouldn't it make more sense for them to like, move to where there is water? Didn't Alicia jump into a super clear river in one episode?

It's still better than TWD right now but there were way too many Stupid Things to Make Plot Happen in such a short span

Also why were the guards cool with Madison hitting them with a shovel and running away?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm not sure why she didn't kill the Bad Son from the Preppers either when he murdered that red shirt. Also, how did she talk her away out of that one? "Sorry, Indian bro, that guy that I said not to kill killed another one of yours'

It was really, really dumb but I understood Alicia being 18 and saying the dumbest thing possible to a crowd that's on their wit's end

Also, if they have no water wouldn't it make more sense for them to like, move to where there is water? Didn't Alicia jump into a super clear river in one episode?

It's still better than TWD right now but there were way too many Stupid Things to Make Plot Happen in such a short span

Also why were the guards cool with Madison hitting them with a shovel and running away?

I think that dude that Troy stabbed lived? I mean he's a non-character so it doesn't matter either way.

And yeah Alicia jumped into... their water supply? And she didn't see that it was running out or whatever? Hmmm.

Also, the note that said they had 6 weeks worth of water was only for the preppers I'm assuming, why would that amount of water account for probably double the amount of people once all the native americans buddied up with them? :psyduck:

Madison shoveling some dudes was the coolest thing I think she's done in the entire season.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think the only thing that will save them at the dam is that Madison can tell El Salvidad that his daughter is there, even though he'll look at Strand and act like it's another trick

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm in agreement that FTWD is actually kind of good at the moment. The Bazaar was pretty drat cool (although all I could think about was someone being infected and every person in there being trapped and getting eaten).

Madison is definitly testing my patience. Some truly mindblowing actions like giving up the radio, turning over the guns, paying off the debt just make me angry. (I'm also calling BULLSHIT that the debt is the same amount as 10,000 gallons of water during the apocolypse.)

Also, where the gently caress was Jake last episode? Did I miss a plot development or did the leader of 50% of the population do literally nothing while people rioted over water and prepared an armed assault on The Nation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope Morgan's lame rear end gets killed in season 7