Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Seriously though, didn't everyone who voted for Hillary in the primary actively vote against their own interests for stupid reasons, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I also forgot about your grand master plan to bring all the chemical death factories here, and poison your own water supply so that your billionaire overlords will decide to clean up their factories, which will totally happen and they won't just laugh in your face.

Oh great. I have a lot of experience working at chemical death factories so I could probably get a supervisor job. They have these things called protocols and containment systems to ensure that chemical death cannot get into the water supply but since Trump got elected we will probably just throw all chemical waste into rivers, streams and public pools now and create a toxic holocaust. I shoulda listened to a genius like you (IQ cannot be measured be primitive tests over 200.) and now we are all dead. Look forward to seeing you in hell.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk let's not act like companies maintain and follow perfect environmental guidelines lol

dunno about chemical plants or whatever but coal power plants gently caress the environment but good

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Krustic posted:

Oh great. I have a lot of experience working at chemical death factories so I could probably get a supervisor job. They have these things called protocols and containment systems to ensure that chemical death cannot get into the water supply but since Trump got elected we will probably just throw all chemical waste into rivers, streams and public pools now and create a toxic holocaust. I shoulda listened to a genius like you (IQ cannot be measured be primitive tests over 200.) and now we are all dead. Look forward to seeing you in hell.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/politics/scott-pruitt-donald-trump-white-house-regulations/

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

CNN what an unbiased news source I certainly will read that for their objective analysis of events

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Oh wait, Trump supporters think coal is clean, so it will just clean the rivers, duh.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I am not a nuclear engineer by any stretch but modern reactors can be built with negative "void coefficients," which basically means that if poo poo gets hosed up the reactor just gradually shuts down rather than starting a runaway reaction. As I understand it, they can definitely break and be Bad News, but only as bad as flinging the nuclear fuel around rather than big explosions. Fukushima, for a contrasting example, was built in the early 70s, when this stuff wasn't figured out yet. thanks for reading my poast

Krustic posted:

there is no way on god's green earth you've actually worked at a chemical factory of any kind and still believe that its owners would voluntarily push safety measures over speed and profit

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

CNN what an unbiased news source I certainly will read that for their objective analysis of events

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I mean it's not directly from the supreme propagandists Bannon's mouth, but here ya go

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/16/trump-overturns-bill-on-coal-mining-debris.html

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

idk let's not act like companies maintain and follow perfect environmental guidelines lol

Of course not. But the plantsI've worked at are always keeping an eye on containment. It has a direct impact on your rating and more importantly public opinion. You let a buncha poo poo gently caress up the local environment and good luck getting the locals to renew your license. Plus you get hatefucked by the EPA and the NRC, neither of which have any sense of humor about that stuff. Nothing's perfect but it pays to protect the environment at a nuke plant.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

new phone who dis posted:

Seriously though, didn't everyone who voted for Hillary in the primary actively vote against their own interests for stupid reasons, too?

they did but they'll never admit to it. they're used to voting for empty promises that sound good.

democrats, everything that say sounds good, but they never do it. ever. or gently caress it up like obamacare lol

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Obama was busy cranking out executive orders in his last days to stymie Trump's progress and Trump overturned one, sounds like politics

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

Of course not. But the plantsI've worked at are always keeping an eye on containment. It has a direct impact on your rating and more importantly public opinion. You let a buncha poo poo gently caress up the local environment and good luck getting the locals to renew your license. Plus you get hatefucked by the EPA and the NRC, neither of which have any sense of humor about that stuff. Nothing's perfect but it pays to protect the environment at a nuke plant.

well that's why it's good Trump is destroying the EPA :downs:

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm sure Mr. Obama is such a benevolent soul that he must have done it only for his love of the environment!

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Obama was busy cranking out executive orders in his last days to stymie Trump's progress and Trump overturned one, sounds like politics

You're literally defending dumping waste in rivers, like a particularly stupid Captain Planet villain.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the point is that scott pruitt literally made his career out of suing the EPA for poo poo like "won't let oklahoman companies put too much mercury in the water," easy enough to find it on his wikipedia page. so the incentive to NOT do this - EPA hatefucking - is going to go away if pruitt gets his way, and then the only thing preventing it is ?????

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Oh wait, Trump supporters think coal is clean, so it will just clean the rivers, duh.

I really don't think the coal thing is an argument for it being clean, but it's somehow been pushed by republicans into the mythos of being "American." "Jobs, Coal Jobs Jobs Coal Coal Jobs Jobs Coal"

So right alongside the summer picnics with hotdogs and hamburgers, eagles, fireworks, trucks, the american flag, and country music you now have coal miners/coal.

It's really weird. The obvious real reason is that the coal industry has enough money to lobby people who have investments in the coal industry already to make favorable legislation so they can keep making more money. But it's probably important to be more mindful of the stupidity you are facing and not generalize it as "They are so dumb they think coal is clean" being the entire issue.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

the point is that scott pruitt literally made his career out of suing the EPA for poo poo like "won't let oklahoman companies put too much mercury in the water," easy enough to find it on his wikipedia page. so the incentive to NOT do this - EPA hatefucking - is going to go away if pruitt gets his way, and then the only thing preventing it is ?????

No it's a good thing, like what Spunky says, do you think the Environmental Protection Agency tries to protect the environment? NO it's there to rob our billionaire lords of their divinely ordained wealth.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

You're literally defending dumping waste in rivers, like a particularly stupid Captain Planet villain.

No, I'm betting that was a political move used for propaganda purposes, just like you are doing, because you possess the mental subtlety of a child

quote:

They said the rule also ignored dozens of existing federal, state and local regulations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

well that's why it's good Trump is destroying the EPA :downs:

Again, public opinion is a big deal. It's the locals who can choose to deny license renewal. If you gently caress up the environment, they will. And I highly doubt the EPA are gonna just magically not care if a buncha tritium makes it into the water supply or something. There's multiple reasons why you want to protect the environment at a nuke plant. Hell, these guys live there with their families. They don't wanna poo poo on the local environment.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i dont give a gently caress about COAL, or COAL MINERS, bring on the sweet and clean, efficiency and goodness, of nuke

*for real tho*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like how every part of my post was ignored in favor of "But the EPA is dead under trump!"

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Again, public opinion is a big deal. It's the locals who can choose to deny license renewal. If you gently caress up the environment, they will. And I highly doubt the EPA are gonna just magically not care if a buncha tritium makes it into the water supply or something. There's multiple reasons why you want to protect the environment at a nuke plant. Hell, these guys live there with their families. They don't wanna poo poo on the local environment.

Well you'd think coal miners wouldn't want to dump toxic residue into their water either but here we are.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

there is no way on god's green earth you've actually worked at a chemical factory of any kind and still believe that its owners would voluntarily push safety measures over speed and profit
[/quote]

I can't argue against that. Safety is the most important thing says a shift supervisor while making a jack off motion with his hand. They do have lots of safety measures but will put people in harms way when push comes to shove.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 21, 2017

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

And I highly doubt the EPA are gonna just magically not care if a buncha tritium makes it into the water supply or something.

lol yeah what do they think it is, lead?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Piss de Bundy posted:

i dont give a gently caress about COAL, or COAL MINERS, bring on the sweet and clean, efficiency and goodness, of nuke

*for real tho*

Yeah coal is terrible

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
cant like..the sun..just you know...power everything

like. we dont even NEED YOU, coal man

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Piss de Bundy posted:

*for real tho*

The problem is that when the Pirates of the Caribbean rides breaks down, the pirates don't create uncontrolled radioactive release all over the guests.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Vakal posted:

The problem is that when the Pirates of the Caribbean rides breaks down, the pirates don't create uncontrolled radioactive release all over the guests.

You have no clue how nuclear power plants operate.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

can we get some friggin gmos too please or r u still too scared to bit into one thinking u might crunch a half developed baby

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Vakal posted:

I do

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I like how every part of my post was ignored in favor of "But the EPA is dead under trump!"

I thought I tried pretty hard :(

how is it not a valid retort, though? I mean the guy who got nominated to run it is scott pruitt for goodness' sake. the EPA is already so defanged that Flint's been drinking lead water for years.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vakal posted:

yeah but i mean, disney is bad....and walt disney, a nazi

you saying you dont wanna nuke the nazis?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

World War Mammories posted:

I thought I tried pretty hard :(

how is it not a valid retort, though? I mean the guy who got nominated to run it is scott pruitt for goodness' sake. the EPA is already so defanged that Flint's been drinking lead water for years.

Because the EPA is not the only thing I've been talking about. It's not the only agency that ensures safe/clean operation and I said that. The EPA getting hosed, and it is, isnt going to turn nuke plants into the Simpsons.The threat of punituve action by the EPA is just one part of a whole system.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 21, 2017

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Because the EPA is not the only thing I've been talking about. It's not the only agency that ensures safe/clean operation and I said that.

Legit question, what other federal agencies perform similar functions?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Because the EPA is not the only thing I've been talking about. It's not the only agency that ensures safe/clean operation and I said that.

oh you're talking about nuclear power plants and the NRC specifically? was discussing more generally, coal plants etc. carry on

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Legit question, what other federal agencies perform similar functions?

The NRC is the big one. They'll gently caress you up for letting poo poo loose just like the EPA, just for different reasons. But like i said, the real big one is the locals will shut you down if you poo poo in their back yard. Public opinion is always a delicate thing for plants in the best of times.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

lol c'mon fam you don't need to be like that. The White House rolling back coal mining regulations isn't some fake news plot it's an easily verifiable thing that happened.

If the source is biased then you should watch for the spin they put on stuff but you don't need to just be all "I will literally only pay attention to a couple news sources and that's it" bc then you make yourself susceptible to spin but in a different direction.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

lol c'mon fam you don't need to be like that. The White House rolling back coal mining regulations isn't some fake news plot it's an easily verifiable thing that happened.

If the source is biased then you should watch for the spin they put on stuff but you don't need to just be all "I will literally only pay attention to a couple news sources and that's it" bc then you make yourself susceptible to spin but in a different direction.

Spin like exactly that article did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

well are we talking about chemical plants or nuke plants or coal plants?

I feel like there are 4 different conversations going on right now

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Spin like exactly that article did

I didn't read it, it's just true that the White House is rolling back coal regulations specifically protecting streams yes or no?

e: I mean c'mon what loving spin lol

quote:

President Donald Trump signed a measure Thursday that rolls back a last-minute Obama administration rule aimed at stopping the coal mining industry from dumping waste into nearby waterways.

It is the first of what is expected to be many environmental regulation rollbacks sent to his desk by Congress.

how is that spin that's basically in line with the WH and the GOP's stated goals

• Locked thread