Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

What is the worst-smelling Souls world? DS3 seems pretty stinky with all the black corpse goo that's all over everything. DS2 could be a strong contender with the Pit & The Gutter. Bloodborne would obviously smell the worst so ignore that. I'm just asking questions.

DS2 because the entire game is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Horace Kinch posted:

:hai:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Horace Kinch posted:

Them's fightin' words

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every zone in DS2 past Lost Bastille is the worst zone on the series but because you can do them quite non-linearly some people have convinced themselves it's well designed and not like one of those films that gets the 'directed by Alan Smithee' treatment

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I've been replaying ds3 on pc, and I've never played the dlcs or killed nameless before. After seeing a speedrunner on twitch working with it, and seeing the reach + combos, I decided I'd rush to the ringed city on the dlc, and pick up the ringed knight sword at the earliest possible opportunity - before even entering into the catacombs, or even opening the door. Just directly to dlc 1.

I'd played through this before, but never done much other than clearing one ending. I knew most of the sidequest progressions, so I made sure to take care of all that I could before the dlc, without killing more bosses. I think I just needed to clear two to get to the dlc. After spending roughly equal time on friede as I had getting there, even with doing all the sidequests, I finally rolled credits on that slog.

Oh also, probably not news to anyone, and it's just phase 2 which is easy enough but if you go in w/ frost weapon, flash sweat, the storyteller's staff it's almost free. That staff especially is aces

Really glad I went this way, I would have gotten bored with the main game as I'd already gone that route, plus I now have the ringed sword and it is indeed pretty good. Now back to the main game and stomping through it. That Friede fight though, wow

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 15, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

No Dignity posted:

Every zone in DS2 past Lost Bastille is the worst zone on the series but because you can do them quite non-linearly some people have convinced themselves it's well designed and not like one of those films that gets the 'directed by Alan Smithee' treatment

poor fool...

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Playing through DS2 again recently made me go back to DS3 PVP, so I bring you, from our series of Things you absolutely did not (need to) know about DS3:
They modelled anatomically correct anuses on the dogs

And now back to our scheduled program.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Turns out the scheduled program was more dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXI1FW8rWU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Oh baby a TRIPLE

It's Return to Lothric 2023, event is running from June 13th to 27th, so make a character, use that Dried Finger, and link the fire. Or don't link it. We won't judge. You do you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yay, Return to Lothric! Decided to start a brand new pyro character. First I discovered a weird but boring glitch: if you don't pick up the Ashen Estus flask, you can't upgrade your regular estus flask at Andre's.

Then I put down my summoning sign at the second High Wall bonfire and got summoned pretty much right away. Wierd thing was that the Host of Embers was wielding the Crucifix of the Mad King. Either the summoner did a very impressive SL1 run and is on NG+, or there was shenaningans going on? Playing on PS4.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FutonForensic posted:

What is the worst-smelling Souls world? DS3 seems pretty stinky with all the black corpse goo that's all over everything. DS2 could be a strong contender with the Pit & The Gutter. Bloodborne would obviously smell the worst so ignore that. I'm just asking questions.

It just HAS to be Ariamis

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I’m playing through Bloodborne after bouncing off it several times, and made it to the Nightmare Frontier, the area with the Amygdala.

There are some enemies there which feels like they were just reskinned and lifted straight into DS3. I’m thinking of the Yetis that throw boulders, reminding me of the big dudes that yeet cauldrons at you in the Undead Settlement, and the Silverbeast that behave just like the followers in Ariandel.

Any more examples?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not sure about bloodborne->DS3, but DS3->elden ring has the stone imps which are reskins of DS3's thralls.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They should have just made thrall statues in every ER dungeon, I hate being ambushed but I still love those hosed up little guys impotently bouncing off my shield or wielding a serrated greatsword like a toddler with a cricket bat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started playing this the other because DS2 absolutely sucks and I said F it, I'll just skip the garbage game and go to the one that is supposed to be good.

I'm enjoying it so far. I just finished the swamp other than a shiny surrounded by 3 giants that I have no chance at.

Are there quests that I should look out for that are worth doing?

What weapons should I be on the lookout for? Once I swapped to the Zweihander in DS1 I stuck with that till the end. Right now I am using a Claymore 2 handed and it is +4, I think.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Vordt’s hammer is an absolute monster if you want to go strength. Hits hard, comes out quick, and is one of the few frostbite weapons.

and, uh… (whispering) DS2 is the best in the series, actually

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 15, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it should have better levels and bosses then

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Vordt's Hammer carried me through DS3. Tremendous weapon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I actually got that one because the ring seemed of dubious utility for a slower build. My STR is already 30, I guess I can try the hammer a bit.

What about the gems? If I use one and don't like the effect, can I change it out or am I stuck?

E: where should I try to get my STR up to before focusing on other stuff? I hit 30, then started pumping things like Vit, End and the other always useful things. I think they are all at 15 and one is 20.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 15, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Vigor aka HP stat is pretty important in ds3, you'll probably want to get it to 30-40 at some point. Doesn't need to happen immediately but with 30 str already it wouldn't hurt.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually got that one because the ring seemed of dubious utility for a slower build. My STR is already 30, I guess I can try the hammer a bit.

What about the gems? If I use one and don't like the effect, can I change it out or am I stuck?

E: where should I try to get my STR up to before focusing on other stuff? I hit 30, then started pumping things like Vit, End and the other always useful things. I think they are all at 15 and one is 20.

There are gems you can use specifically to purge the prior effect so you’re not like turbo locked in, but gems in general are uncommon drops and iirc aren’t readily buyable so you should have some idea of what you wanna do since you can’t just do the Elden Ring thing of swapping affinities at every save point. I don’t think there’s a lot of incentive to not just go all in on Heavy scaling if you’re doing a strength build though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Claymore will carry you through ds3 easily. Very good weapon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^
Very true. Claymore is a solid choice for an STR build.

Put a heavy infusion as soon as you can. If you want elemental damage on it, there are consumables that will do that.

DS2 i actually very good. Remember to level Adaptability, or you will have bad rolls and slow chugs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

axolotl farmer posted:

DS2 i actually very good. Remember to level Adaptability, or you will have bad rolls and slow chugs.

Counterpoint: DS2 is terrible, since the other games don’t make me waste levels in order to roll correctly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DS2 is bad because you can find yourself without a functioning weapon really early on and no souls to repair your easily broken starter weapon.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Skill issue

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What stat do I level in DS2 to get rid of the movement dead zones?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

feelix posted:

What stat do I level in DS2 to get rid of the movement dead zones?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It is indeed a skill issue when DS2 defenders with hands made of literal ham can't immediately tell that the movement in DS2 is different from every other game in the series from Demon's to ER

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that it's different doesn't mean it's bad

anyway ds2 is the worst soulsborne game and also better than 99.9% of games and it loving rules

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I played through DS2 without knowing anything about adaptability and I just don't understand the vehement hate for it. I get not liking it or whatever but I just don't understand the *scale* of hatred it gets. Even if its for the jokes.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

So much skill issue in these recent posts, lowly times these are.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

that it's different doesn't mean it's bad

anyway ds2 is the worst soulsborne game and also better than 99.9% of games and it loving rules

This is true but literally nobody thinks it's better. At best, people say "I didn't notice it" or "it didn't bother me". It's bad not just because it's different, it's bad because it's different and the reaction ranges from negative to neutral

Dyz posted:

I played through DS2 without knowing anything about adaptability and I just don't understand the vehement hate for it. I get not liking it or whatever but I just don't understand the *scale* of hatred it gets. Even if its for the jokes.

Yeah same. I used a greatshield though. If you insist on being a naked gently caress with a stick, DS2 makes it harder

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DS2 is poo poo. Luckily, Elden Ring is basically From giving DS2 a do-over but with a budget and a competent director.

For questlines, Siegward and Grerait's are worth doing. Siegward will basically solo a boss for you (RNG permitting).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would agree except there's nothing in elden rings ng+

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

DS2 is poo poo. Luckily, Elden Ring is basically From giving DS2 a do-over but with a budget and a competent director.

For questlines, Siegward and Grerait's are worth doing. Siegward will basically solo a boss for you (RNG permitting).

:yeah:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Horace Kinch posted:

Oh cool. I killed a fire asylum demon from DS1 with Siegward and then he took a nap and I haven't seen him since. Greirat said he wanted to loot someplace and wandered off.

Do I need to go find them or will they pop up normally?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dyz posted:

I played through DS2 without knowing anything about adaptability and I just don't understand the vehement hate for it.

Nerds who never got over their gamer rage at ds2 not meeting expectations

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh cool. I killed a fire asylum demon from DS1 with Siegward and then he took a nap and I haven't seen him since. Greirat said he wanted to loot someplace and wandered off.

Do I need to go find them or will they pop up normally?

Visit the Cathedral of the Deep to bump into Siegward and an old friend from previous Soulsborne games. Greirat will return eventually. As you progress thru the game he volunteers to go steal stuff for you to expand his inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
DS2 has the best version of the dragon cult.

Also I must be the only person to read FROMSOFT stat sheets, cuz I saw agility and decided to max it.

Dragon Ninja was my favorite build.