Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
When they changed the buff icons for SAM and MNK because the AoE versions also grant the buffs it threw me off real hard keeping track of the buffs because it's no longer linked to the single target version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Red Metal posted:

i don't think they're getting rid of forms, otherwise there's nothing stopping you from spamming dragon kick > bootshine or w/e. plus, form shift still exists, it's the first action used by the monk in the job actions trailer, and it wouldn't make sense for form shift to exist without forms

Ah. I'm not familiar enough with it to know that it was used just by animation alone.

Maybe the form icons on the new Job Gauge mean you have to be in that form to fill a pip...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

they did say that monk would play mostly the same, except now you use three snap punches for every demolish instead of two

what i'm curious about is what anatman's going to do now since it's only reason left to exist was to keep your twin strikes buff up during downtime. maybe it finally went the way of the dodo since i don't recall seeing it in the trailer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a cartoon duck posted:

they did say that monk would play mostly the same, except now you use three snap punches for every demolish instead of two

what i'm curious about is what anatman's going to do now since it's only reason left to exist was to keep your twin strikes buff up during downtime. maybe it finally went the way of the dodo since i don't recall seeing it in the trailer

The buff from Twin Strikes is probably built in now since the attack gives you two dots on the gauge now.

Did they show Anatman in the job action trailer?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think every class is a winner~!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
The biggest winner is us, the players.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think it's funny that the expansion that's giving GNB Lion Heart is the same one that appears to be taking away Rough Divide so we're still at 3/4 Squall limit breaks lmao

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

quiggy posted:

Sage is just super weird about DPS in general, especially against single targets. Dosis 3 does 330 potency and has a 170 potency heal attached to it for your Kardion target, which is exactly the same as both Pneuma and Toxikon 2. Admittedly the former of those has a large AoE heal centered on the caster and the latter does extra damage in an AoE situation, but when it comes purely to dealing damage there is no difference between the infinitely-spammable Dosis 3, the resource-gated Toxikon 2, or the long cooldown Pneuma. I'm sure the distinctions matter a lot for high-end content but as a casual player I was never quite sure why I should ever press Toxikon except to save myself that 1.5s cast time.

Toxikon is a free damage cast while moving and Pneuma is GCD party heal (especially when paired with zoe) that doesn't lose you dps uptime. You can use them for AOE but its not really their purpose.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I do think it's funny that the expansion that's giving GNB Lion Heart is the same one that appears to be taking away Rough Divide so we're still at 3/4 Squall limit breaks lmao

But what if the new gap closer is called Smooth Divide?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

But what if the new gap closer is called Smooth Divide?

we can only hope :pray:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s also when I throw out my Xenoglossies and when I always use my Thundercloud proc. I know the later isn’t optimal but I’m too nervous about dropping my Fire timer to ever cast it during Fire phase, especially since weaving in a Sharpcast if you don’t have Swift or Triplecast up for an instacast is so hard in Fire.

Since Thundercloud is being removed but Thunder will probably still cost MP the answer will probably just be “cast it between Blizzare IV and Paradox and you’re fine” but it’s still something I’m wondering about.

I think there's something funny going on with thunder spells as yet, because in the job actions trailer, the BLM casts Blizzard III in the normal fashion to enter umbral ice mode, and then instantly throws the new lightning spell without a cast animation or any kind of preliminary flourish that might be a partially-clipped Swiftcast animation. So there might still be some way to build up to the ability to build up to and cast a super Thunder spell that's no longer randomized or Sharpcast-controlled (and maybe, rather than "just" casting a souped-up version of T3 or T4 that do their entire DoT up-front as well as applying a DoT, you earn the ability to cast Burst instead, which is a strict upgrade over both spells).

The more I think about it, incidentally, the more I like needing to actually land ice spells to regain MP in the umbral phase. I've never really liked the bizarre hypermeme rotations not just because I don't want to have to install a mana tick tracker utility if I want to play BLM at the highest level but also because one of my favorite parts of BLM's design throughout basically every expansion is that (almost) none of its spells have ever gone totally obsolete. Blizzard 1 has long since been one of the few exceptions to this rule, but if you need to land two ice spells in your umbral phase to get back to 10000 MP, then you are in fact going to be casting both B1 and B4 each cycle until such time you get the trait that upgrades B1 to Paradox, and I think that's beautiful.

In fact, you can kind of see problems arise from the lack of this system right now when you get scaled down to level 60 or 70. If you don't have a Foul or a Thunder spell ready to cast after you've zeroed your MP and cast B3 to swap to ice mode, you'll cast B4, and then you'll be like, well, I guess I should cast B1 just so that I'm putting "any" potency out "at all" while I wait for my second 60% mana tick, but it feels awful, because it's like you were condemned to the worst version of your rotation by RNG. If Blizzard is just an assumed part of your ice cycle at higher levels just like it was at level 50 or below, well, fine, whatever.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kinda random but does anyone know the logic of how much MGP you get for participating in a Lord of Verminion Tournament? Is it based on points, on placing, or some combination?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Wait, I missed something, what's going on with Rough Divide?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kazy posted:

All damage doing gap closers like that are gone in favor of dashes that do not do damage. They're separating movement skills from dps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kazy posted:

It has not been 100% confirmed but in the job video they did not show any of the damage gap closers and instead showed new animations for gap closers that don't seem to have damage associated with them. The general assumption is that they're finally decoupling damage from gap closing so gap closers can be used for utility instead of damage.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The paladin gap closer still looked like it did damage. Also reasonably certain the warrior one did as well. Just the drk and gnb ones are obviously non-damaging out of the tanks.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 20, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It seeeeeeeeems like they removed the damage from gap closers on the jobs that were already pretty busy during burst, but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they all had their damage removed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

From my perspective, it looked like they're making it so damage gapclosers involve using a ranged attack first, and that there are non-damage gap closers otherwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I hope they do disconnect them entirely. Remember when the WAR gapcloser required gauge to use?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
homogenization usually goes to far HOWEVER they should give mnk a backstep move that has a hadouken followup. actually just make six-sided star kick so hard it knocks you backwards.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 20, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

From my perspective, it looked like they're making it so damage gapclosers involve using a ranged attack first, and that there are non-damage gap closers otherwise.

Warrior's segment is them using Defiance, then Infuriate, then Onslaught.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I will still be using gap closers during burst even if they do no damage

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ferrinus posted:

I think there's something funny going on with thunder spells as yet, because in the job actions trailer, the BLM casts Blizzard III in the normal fashion to enter umbral ice mode, and then instantly throws the new lightning spell without a cast animation or any kind of preliminary flourish that might be a partially-clipped Swiftcast animation. So there might still be some way to build up to the ability to build up to and cast a super Thunder spell that's no longer randomized or Sharpcast-controlled (and maybe, rather than "just" casting a souped-up version of T3 or T4 that do their entire DoT up-front as well as applying a DoT, you earn the ability to cast Burst instead, which is a strict upgrade over both spells).

The more I think about it, incidentally, the more I like needing to actually land ice spells to regain MP in the umbral phase. I've never really liked the bizarre hypermeme rotations not just because I don't want to have to install a mana tick tracker utility if I want to play BLM at the highest level but also because one of my favorite parts of BLM's design throughout basically every expansion is that (almost) none of its spells have ever gone totally obsolete. Blizzard 1 has long since been one of the few exceptions to this rule, but if you need to land two ice spells in your umbral phase to get back to 10000 MP, then you are in fact going to be casting both B1 and B4 each cycle until such time you get the trait that upgrades B1 to Paradox, and I think that's beautiful.

In fact, you can kind of see problems arise from the lack of this system right now when you get scaled down to level 60 or 70. If you don't have a Foul or a Thunder spell ready to cast after you've zeroed your MP and cast B3 to swap to ice mode, you'll cast B4, and then you'll be like, well, I guess I should cast B1 just so that I'm putting "any" potency out "at all" while I wait for my second 60% mana tick, but it feels awful, because it's like you were condemned to the worst version of your rotation by RNG. If Blizzard is just an assumed part of your ice cycle at higher levels just like it was at level 50 or below, well, fine, whatever.

I really, really hope they aren't forcing you to use blizzard 1 all the way to paradox, honestly ice phase not auto regening MP anymore and possibly forcing you to cast another ice spell instead seems really clunky. Yeah it kills meme rotations I guess but why is that a priority

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

quiggy posted:

I think for healing I'm largely happy to just stick to White Mage. Party member is low on health? Press a button and they're healed :)

I've been levelling Sage and oh god yeah this. How am I supposed to heal a guy before the attack happens

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Actually I feel like with the innate future predicting aspect Astro should be the barrier healer, but I'm glad it's not cuz I like astro :shobon:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wonder if they're gonna add back some MP regeneration to ice phase, just because it seems like it'd be really easy to trap yourself into a 0 MP situation if you finished fire phase right as the boss went into a cutscene or something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Feldegast42 posted:

I really, really hope they aren't forcing you to use blizzard 1 all the way to paradox, honestly ice phase not auto regening MP anymore and possibly forcing you to cast another ice spell instead seems really clunky. Yeah it kills meme rotations I guess but why is that a priority

Meme rotations aside, I think the main thing it does is prevent you from having to optimize around mana ticks, and therefore prevent people who install mana tick trackers from having an advantage over those who don't.

It also helps out the spellspeed build (which is what I default to), because towards the end of EW I was occasionally having umbral cycles that, because they happened during leylines, were actually so short that casting B3 to swap -> B4 to restore hearts -> Paradox to deal good damage -> F3 to swap back literally did not refill my MP, like, I'd find myself back in astral mode with only 6400 or whatever it is. If your MP regen is GCD-based, it also means that it's normalized no matter how long your GCDs are and you never find yourself in the weird position of knowing that you're about to get your MP back, but having no good spells to cast, and having to decide between casting a lovely spell or literally just sitting there for 1.3 seconds before you get back to the good stuff.

Like I said, you were already at risk of needing to cast Blizzard 1 during the umbral cycle all the way through level 70 or 80, so I think it's better that they just formalize it, especially since it restores the elegance of every single spell on your bar having a situational use during any point in the leveling process that you've got access to it.

Vitamean posted:

I wonder if they're gonna add back some MP regeneration to ice phase, just because it seems like it'd be really easy to trap yourself into a 0 MP situation if you finished fire phase right as the boss went into a cutscene or something.

I would guess that you at least get the regular MP regen everyone's entitled to, and that Umbral Soul might give you a pile of MP back as though you'd landed an ice attack spell on an enemy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I am going to guess that Umbral Soul will replenish MP as well.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You can't cast Umbral Soul if you're in the middle of a cutscene.

Like, I'm thinking about the transitions in normal Barbariccia/Rubicante/Golbez, or some ultimates (Perfect Alexander, Alpha Omega).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The case of just swapping to ice phase as a cutscene begins, or even worse just finishing Despair but not finishing B3 as a cutscene begins, does sound like the ultimate nightmare scenario, but I think it would basically leave the Dawntrail BLM in the same position as the EW BLM is in right now. That is to say, your astral fire ticks down and elapses as the cutscene runs, you get control back of your character in neither phase and at 200MP or something, and you basically just have to wait for one more tick so that you can cast Blizzard, which gets you into UI, and then you can cast Blizzard III, which gets you into full UI, and then you get your MP back, and then you resume play. Since ice spells probably remain free to cast in UI, just landing a single spell beginning with B should get you back in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

You can't cast Umbral Soul if you're in the middle of a cutscene.

Like, I'm thinking about the transitions in normal Barbariccia/Rubicante/Golbez, or some ultimates (Perfect Alexander, Alpha Omega).

Oh. In those situations you'd get your natural MP regen probably so I imagine it's fine.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Having not done GATEs before, I think they might be stuck. It's been Leap Of Faith for the past 24 hours. Either that, or Garland Bell is lying to me...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kheldarn posted:

Having not done GATEs before, I think they might be stuck. It's been Leap Of Faith for the past 24 hours. Either that, or Garland Bell is lying to me...

quote:

One of the three listed GATEs will be held at the times below.
* The following information can also be confirmed by speaking with the Gold Saucer attendant at Entrance Square.

Every hour, on the hour (Earth Time)
- Air Force One
- Cliffhanger
- Leap of Faith (The Falling City of Nym)

Hourly, 20 minutes past the hour (Earth Time)
- Any Way the Wind Blows
- The Slice Is Right
- Leap of Faith (The Fall of Belah'dia)

Hourly, 40 minutes past the hour (Earth Time)
- The Slice Is Right
- Air Force One
- Leap of Faith (Sylphstep)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i will never understand why they think everyone wants so much leap of faith

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

i love to jump

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Awesome! posted:

i will never understand why they think everyone wants so much leap of faith

I mean, it's apparently popular enough that they went ahead and created the Fall Guys event as Leap of Faith+

In addition to the various other jumping puzzles they exist outside of Gold Saucer.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
It took forever to get WTFungah III just because AWWB happens so rarely. Also it being completely RNG (yes I know the "safe" spot that avoids every set pattern).

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I have debased myself to every jump puzzle in the game besides leap of faith and I hate jump puzzles and I am not good at them but by god I will do them all except leap of faith.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can get a perfect score on Leap of Faith much more consistently that Any Way the Wind Blows, Slice of Life, or Air Force One (controller). And Cliffhanger gives less MGP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Remember Skinchange We Can Believe In?

And Vase Off?