Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I'm well aware; she's had some "dance" classes in daycare, and I figure this'll be similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Go do their free lesson and see what you think about the vibe of the place. If they're friendly and cheerful and the instructors are good, maybe try it out. If they're all KOBRA KAI NEVER DIE and THERE IS NO WEAKNESS IN MY DOJO then politely say thank you and never darken their doorstep again.

Also, lots of places won't let kids under 5 attend classes. You just can't keep them focused for more than a few minutes until that age.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

How can I determine if a martial arts studio is a good one? My 3-year-old somehow found out that one of the places in the nearby strip mall is a karate place and she wants to go.

Challenge the sensei to a battle to the death. If he is victorious, then the school is worry.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Shut up Meg posted:

Are you using Firefox?

A recent updated added Content Blocking and that blocks stuff like this. You need to add SA as an exception
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/content-blocking

Other browsers may do something similar

That was the problem. Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Never thought I'd be asking about flashlights but here I am. I want to replace my very old Maglites with LED lights. The full size ones I'm looking at around a price point of between $10-$30 all hover around 1000 lumens. Quick research shows my incandescent ones put out less than 100. Were they really as weak as the numbers suggest? Do I need a full size flashlight for household/backyard use?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Never thought I'd be asking about flashlights but here I am. I want to replace my very old Maglites with LED lights. The full size ones I'm looking at around a price point of between $10-$30 all hover around 1000 lumens. Quick research shows my incandescent ones put out less than 100. Were they really as weak as the numbers suggest? Do I need a full size flashlight for household/backyard use?

What’s wrong with your phone?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

tuyop posted:

What’s wrong with your phone?

Lets use the scenario that my phone is dead because I forgot to charge it and the power went out because of a thunderstorm

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

No but it's nice and even a lot of super cheap ones are significantly brighter than any halogen you ever had, and have so much more battery life that you can leave it on all night once or twice and still get plenty of use out of it.

Also, a tip: LEDs are low-drain (which means low amperage, really), and carbon-zinc cells can be so much cheaper than alkalines that you actually get a lot more mileage for your :10bux:.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Lets use the scenario that my phone is dead because I forgot to charge it and the power went out because of a thunderstorm

I’d argue that your stuff sounds like it’s been working fine and you don’t need to rip more resources out of our poor dying planet so that you can replace your working stuff with marginally better stuff.

But yes. Old flashlights are worse in every way than modern flashlights. Except that “makes light” is really kind of a binary state in household use cases.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No but it's nice and even a lot of super cheap ones are significantly brighter than any halogen you ever had, and have so much more battery life that you can leave it on all night once or twice and still get plenty of use out of it.

Also, a tip: LEDs are low-drain (which means low amperage, really), and carbon-zinc cells can be so much cheaper than alkalines that you actually get a lot more mileage for your :10bux:.

That's one of the selling points that got me, over full day battery life (probably on low mode) on some D cell models. And thanks for the carbon zinc tip, I'll look into that!

tuyop posted:

I’d argue that your stuff sounds like it’s been working fine and you don’t need to rip more resources out of our poor dying planet so that you can replace your working stuff with marginally better stuff.

But yes. Old flashlights are worse in every way than modern flashlights. Except that “makes light” is really kind of a binary state in household use cases.

Mine is old enough that the bulb is probably going to burn out right when I need it, so I'm just being proactive. And I'm extremely for being green but... it's a flashlight.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

tuyop posted:

Are you seriously shop-shaming them for wanting a loving LED flashlight in tyool 2019?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

SAMLITE- LED Tactical Flashlight With 5 Options, Bright LED Light, Red Pointer, UV Blacklight, Green Light and Magnetic Bottom - Water Resistant - (3 AAA Batteries Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZZOEGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sPHADbRFKXG9H

I bought that a few months ago because a watch i got doesnt have tritium on the dial but some goofy coating you have to expose to light to see at night that only last like 10 minutes. Its decently cheap and has a laser for entertaining cats. Next time i go to the tucson desert museum at night i can use the uv to look for scorpions.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What is the best moss to use for wide tracts of forest floor? Should I start now in September or wait for spring? I'm thinking of helping my mother grow a continuous moss bed in the vast wooded area of her estate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

What is the best moss to use for wide tracts of forest floor? Should I start now in September or wait for spring? I'm thinking of helping my mother grow a continuous moss bed in the vast wooded area of her estate.

You're going to have to be more specific about where this forest is. "Moss" is like 16 000 different species haha.

Also, if it already doesn't have a bunch of moss, you're probably looking at an uphill battle. At the very least, you'll probably have to systematically destroy nearly everything else that's living on the forest floor to make way for the moss.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tuyop posted:

You're going to have to be more specific about where this forest is. "Moss" is like 16 000 different species haha.

Also, if it already doesn't have a bunch of moss, you're probably looking at an uphill battle. At the very least, you'll probably have to systematically destroy nearly everything else that's living on the forest floor to make way for the moss.
Southern Maine inland, similar climate to northern Honshu. Mom just had the entire forest floor stripped of bushes, seedlings and stumps with splinters everywhere.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Is that illegal/dangerous an should I alert the authorities (could cause destruction due to storm)

There's one out here parked sensibly.
I am on some vigilante cop poo poo please direct me to the correct forum

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 1, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Earwicker posted:

also there's a guy out there who does very detailed re-enactments of air disasters using microsoft flight sim. i watch all of those. i dont know why, im just addicted to them.

I need this

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its this guy https://xpilot.yt/

i tried to just post his youtube channel directly but the forums is loving up the link somewhow

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a single-word noun for a slain adversary?

Like, if I murder someone, that person could be described as a "victim," but if that person and I are in battle and I kill them, they're not a victim. What are they, then? Specifically, I'm writing a script for a thing that involves someone who is trying to kill these people, but because of his hubris he allows the others to kill him. He's still adversarial at this point, but he's not fighting, so using adversary in this context makes it seem like he's more active in the end.

Something like, "Her attempt to obscure her escape had failed, and now was their prisoner, and as she would not surrender, she would thus become their ___________."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

couldn't you just say 'the slain'?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh sure, I could reword the whole thing easily. It's just, I got curious about this, if there is a word for it, in this syntax.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Casualty?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

credburn posted:

Like, if I murder someone, that person could be described as a "victim," but if that person and I are in battle and I kill them, they're not a victim. What are they, then? Specifically, I'm writing a script for a thing that involves someone who is trying to kill these people, but because of his hubris he allows the others to kill him. He's still adversarial at this point, but he's not fighting, so using adversary in this context makes it seem like he's more active in the end.

Something like, "Her attempt to obscure her escape had failed, and now was their prisoner, and as she would not surrender, she would thus become their ___________."

victim is probably the closest you're going to get.

Martyr may also be appropriate in some contexts.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

A while ago I ran across a website that was basically a side view diagram of the the throat and mouth separated by parts with sliders. You could open and contract certain passages, and basically create speech manually. I'm not googling the right stuff to find it again. Does anyone happen to know what I'm describing?

Awesome, thank you El Jeffe!

sleppy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 1, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

sleppy posted:

A while ago I ran across a website that was basically a side view diagram of the the throat and mouth separated by parts with sliders. You could open and contract certain passages, and basically create speech manually. I'm not googling the right stuff to find it again. Does anyone happen to know what I'm describing?

https://dood.al/pinktrombone/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Southern Maine inland, similar climate to northern Honshu. Mom just had the entire forest floor stripped of bushes, seedlings and stumps with splinters everywhere.

You might also try asking in the DIY general plants thread? Who knows, maybe a lumberly jack also doubles as a moss whisperer.

Plants in General: My Yard is Thunderdome: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

credburn posted:

Foe?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
“vanquished foe” really covers it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

credburn posted:

Roadkill

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Sacrifice?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

“vanquished foe” really covers it

a vanquished foe just means a defeated enemy, it doesn't necessarily mean they are dead. the same phrase can be used to describe an army in retreat etc or even a prisoner (which in this case the OP is trying to say she is not)

i think victim or casualty, which are also technically ambiguous, make a bit more sense in this case. what you are describing is essentially a summary execution, those have victims

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 1, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
What I've always told my students is that if you have a sentence that you genuinely can't find the ending to, then the sentence fails at communicating, and it should be rewritten.

eta: That came out a little harsher than I mean it to. The suggestions given are good ones! But if the author doesn't find them to be the answer they want, then there are structural issues with the sentence and a rewrite is probably the best option.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 2, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I think this is an appropriate word. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

TofuDiva posted:

What I've always told my students is that if you have a sentence that you genuinely can't find the ending to, then the sentence fails at communicating, and it should be rewritten.

A rewrite was the best option, but I was curious about a noun that could work with this syntax.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

a vanquished foe just means a defeated enemy

Slaughtered foe or terminated foe makes it more explicit, I suppose.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have some bills from my travels in Asia that I would like to "paste" on some sort of transparent folder. Not sure what the exact wording to use here but is there something I can buy - some sort of sticky clear laminate paper sized item or something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

I have some bills from my travels in Asia that I would like to "paste" on some sort of transparent folder. Not sure what the exact wording to use here but is there something I can buy - some sort of sticky clear laminate paper sized item or something?

Oh man there are products for you!

You want sheet protectors, or card holders, or just acetate with holes punched in it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Stravag posted:

SAMLITE- LED Tactical Flashlight With 5 Options, Bright LED Light, Red Pointer, UV Blacklight, Green Light and Magnetic Bottom - Water Resistant - (3 AAA Batteries Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZZOEGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sPHADbRFKXG9H

I bought that a few months ago because a watch i got doesnt have tritium on the dial but some goofy coating you have to expose to light to see at night that only last like 10 minutes. Its decently cheap and has a laser for entertaining cats. Next time i go to the tucson desert museum at night i can use the uv to look for scorpions.

Sorry, I know I'm probably just missing something here, but are you saying you bought a flashlight specifically to look at your watch in the dark?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It was a good excuse to buy one. Id needed one for a few months for doggo walks

Edit: in order to curb things i regret buying i force myself to have multiple reasons for stuff amazon. Cutz down on the ooooo shiny impulse winning

Stravag fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 3, 2019

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
wrong thread

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Are there any good intros to Critical Thinking/Reading?