Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NewMars posted:

Tithe literally means tenth and was originally paid in kind instead of cash and was the closest thing to a standard tax rate that ever existed in the near east. In western Christianity it eventually evolved to being one tenth of everything you owned by the medieval era, which was known by everyone to be literally impossible to pay without starving for non-nobles. So, the church would be able to legally carry off pretty much whatever they wanted when you died as payment for what you had to be holding back.

Edit: Early Christianity didn't really have it as an institution, given how it was completely decentralized and all. Mostly it relied entirely off charity.

It's also important to note that the church was almost indistinguishable from the state for a pretty long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

I recently (theoretically) disproved Einstein's theory of relativity and the commonly accepted conceptualization of the universe myself, but you don't see me going around posting about it because Big Science zealots go around trying to lynch people who don't conform to to their 6th grade science textbook understanding of reality, Its very small-minded honestly.

Actually, science would be very interested in hearing about your discovery. General Relativity is not the most popular theory, and science is always open to having their assertions challenged

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

I recently (theoretically) disproved Einstein's theory of relativity and the commonly accepted conceptualization of the universe myself, but you don't see me going around posting about it because Big Science zealots go around trying to lynch people who don't conform to to their 6th grade science textbook understanding of reality, Its very small-minded honestly.

seek help

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Smoothrich posted:

okay I get why you vote Republican now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

Ben Carson is a huge stupid crazy baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRXJOFfN7pM

Carson on CNN talking about his imaginary friend 'Bob'.

It's happening, we're at peak 'scrutiny' about now and we will be soon be moving into the 'fall' phase. He actually lasted longer than I originally thought. My prediction: next week's polls will have Carson in the 15-20 range and entering terminal decline.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

It's also important to note that the church was almost indistinguishable from the state for a pretty long time.

It's more like the only real state around was the church, with the actual kingdoms as such being a bunch of personal relationships between people who happened to own land. Which is infinitely stranger and more complicated then a state church.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I don't know if scrutiny will destroy Ben Carson. As long as he keeps saying "media evil" and "not a politician" he might be able to deflect any questioning as attacks on him.

also fukken lol listen to that CNN clip and whenever Carson is on you can hear a whole bunch of humming all around it, that's because the sound engineers are blowing up the audio gain to make him barely audible.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

How come it is only Republicans who complain about gotcha questions?

Because the conservative media and culture bubble insulates and coddles future candidates in a friendly environment where they can spend years thoughtlessly farting out whatever loony poo poo they want, totally unchallenged. They're groomed to expect to answer to no one. Not even to stuff they themselves have said previously.

Has Ben Carson done any actual work since his breakout 2013 Prayer Breakfast speech, other than his book if you count that? He made the rounds through the FRC, AFA, Pat Robertson's church/business, and he did a bunch of talk radio and family values summits.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Phlegmish posted:

It's happening, we're at peak 'scrutiny' about now and we will be soon be moving into the 'fall' phase. He actually lasted longer than I originally thought. My prediction: next week's polls will have Carson in the 15-20 range and entering terminal decline.

Slander is not Scrutiny

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Smoothrich please tell us your alternative theory to general relativity

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Are you attacking general relativity from a quantum mechanics point of view or is there some entirely new angle you're using?

I am a layman myself, but I must admit I thought it was a fairly well-entrenched theory, at least on larger scales.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL1oWaFbLDk

Holy poo poo, it gets better... around the 5:00 mark... Stay with it, it gets real good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Smoothrich is Ben Carson.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ben Carson is a slightly more sophisticated Joe the Plumber and is the future of the Republican Party. Enjoy!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Louisgod posted:

attacking Obama on anything = not racist
attacking Carson on anything = now racist, apparently

Liberals could never handle a black president.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So when Carson says we should use tithing, he's just saying we should use a flat tax, but he's couching it in biblical terminology to hide the fact that his plan doesn't make any sense?

I hope he makes the general. The base doesn't care about his nonsense bu Hillary teeing off just on stuff like the Grain Pyramids and his apparently made up/hallucinated childhood will be a thing of beauty. And that's before you even consider how nonsensical his policies are.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahaha that loving CNN interview. "Does Bob Even Exist?"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Dr. Ben Carson: Who is Bob? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Trump tell it, anybody could have worked for Bob. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Third part of the CNN interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kil43tNiHo

The comments are of course disheartening.

EDIT: If this was any other cycle I would say Carson is finished, but we live in a brand new world of absolute insanity so this may help him.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 6, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Smoothrich is Ben Carson.

Various of scientists have said , but actually, we don't need physics when we have God to make planets move around and stuff.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We now have a Ben Carson country song

THIS IS AMERICA - BEN CARSON CAMPAIGN by Justin Tranchita
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-304063981/this-is-america-ben-carson-campaign

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Fricassee posted:

I have a question in regards to the whole "gotcha media" everyone seems to be throwing out when they get called out on their crazy conspiracy theories / getting asked tough questions. Is this a newer thing? I remember last election cycle Sarah Palin blaming the media for calling her out on her stupid bullshit i.e. "I read lots of magazines but I can't name any / I can see Russia from my house, etc" and crying that the LIBERAL media was trying to make her look bad. And we're seeing a full on assault on the media this time around not only in regards to individual candidates (Carson, Trump) but with the whole debate process. Did this happen in elections prior and is just par for the course by now or is this a newer thing that's coming about in recent cycles?

"I can see Russia from my house" was a Saturday Night Live sketch.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Trump calling Carson a loon who believes the most ridiculous things and probably never tried to stab a guy in the crotch or bash his mom with a hammer, will not do much to waiver Carson supporters away from him, they're faith is unshakeable. What it will do however is show Kasich/Christie/Jeb/Paul (not Huckabee or Santorum) supporters that although Trump may claim to be religious (personally I think he's agnostic as they come but knows he has to play the devout christian to be elected), he literally does not believe that the Earth is 6000 years old or that the Pharoah's built the pyramids at Joseph's direction to store grain. I think as some of the establishment candidates begin dropping out, Trump will suck up their support, even though it may take multiple drop outs to do so. I.E. Chrstie drops out and most of his support goes to Kasich, and when he's gone most of it goes to Trump.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Ben Carson is reaching out to the blacks and now the whites. This nation's racial wounds will be sutured.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
For twelve days, you have been asking: Who is Bob? This is Bob speaking. I am the man who almost lost his life. I am the man who was almost stabbed for his choice of radio station. I am the man who has deprived Ben of a victim and thus has provided him with the Word, and if you wish to know why you are falling in the polls - you who dread knowledge - I am the man who will now tell you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

For some reason I'm reminded of that one daily show correspondent who didn't like Jon because he made a Herman Cain joke involving shucky ducky and now Jon Stewart is racist. Jon told him to get out of his sight :lol:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
tbf to carson, memory loss is a side effect of some psychotropic drugs

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Smoothrich posted:

Say hi to the king of Sweden for me.

Tender Bender posted:

Is tithing actually different than a flat tax, or is it just what they called a flat tax in the bible? Like is there anything conceptually noteworthy about it or is he just saying we should base our economy around what a 2000 year old book says the ancient economy used.

A tax professor wrote an overview of Biblical tithing for Slate here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2015/10/ben_carson_s_tax_plan_is_based_on_the_bible_good_lord.html

Most notably:

quote:

The practice of tithing from nonagricultural income might be the better model, but even here there are problems. This practice is described in the Bible—think Jacob vowing to tithe after dreaming about the ladder full of angels—and was developed in the Mishnah and Talmud, works from the third and sixth centuries that record and elaborate upon purported additional instructions Moses received on Mount Sinai. Early religious authorities struggled with the question of just how much charity one should do and concluded, based on Jacob’s example, that one should set aside 10 percent of one’s income to help the poor. But it wasn’t that simple. Those who actually needed charity were relieved of the obligation, and those with little to give were asked to give something less than 10 percent. However, those with significant assets were actually asked to give more, up to 20 percent of their assets. Thus, far from being a flat tax, as Carson suggests, this practice was actually progressive in nature.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Trump calling Carson a loon who believes the most ridiculous things and probably never tried to stab a guy in the crotch or bash his mom with a hammer, will not do much to waiver Carson supporters away from him, they're faith is unshakeable. What it will do however is show Kasich/Christie/Jeb/Paul (not Huckabee or Santorum) supporters that although Trump may claim to be religious (personally I think he's agnostic as they come but knows he has to play the devout christian to be elected), he literally does not believe that the Earth is 6000 years old or that the Pharoah's built the pyramids at Joseph's direction to store grain. I think as some of the establishment candidates begin dropping out, Trump will suck up their support, even though it may take multiple drop outs to do so. I.E. Chrstie drops out and most of his support goes to Kasich, and when he's gone most of it goes to Trump.

That's a good point, but what about the Carson supporters themselves? Wouldn't it make them more likely to migrate to Santorum or Huckabee instead of Trump?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Phlegmish posted:

That's a good point, but what about the Carson supporters themselves? Wouldn't it make them more likely to migrate to Santorum or Huckabee instead of Trump?

I'm an atheist and socially liberal, why would I go from Carson to hacks like Santorum or Huckabee? I support Ben Carson because of his intelligence, anti-establishment bonafides and reformist agenda.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

"I can see Russia from my house" was a Saturday Night Live sketch.

The original quote was some poo poo like "When Putin looms his head over to America he crosses Alaska first," not much better

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Phlegmish posted:

I think at this point, no crazy thing based in religion is going to drive away Carson's support. I'd be willing to bet that 90%+ of his supporters who heard him say the thing about the grain silos think its ridiculous, but are willing to let it slide, as we do with every candidate. No one agrees 100% with the person you pull the lever for, but you still do it for whatever reasons.

With how well Carson is polling and fundraising, Santorum and Huckabee will be both be out waaaaay before Carson is. Unless you mean the other way around, in which case yes Santorum and Huckabee's Christian Crusaders would probably prefer Carson or Cruz over Trump.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Smoothrich posted:

I'm an atheist and socially liberal, why would I go from Carson to hacks like Santorum or Huckabee? I support Ben Carson because of his intelligence, anti-establishment bonafides and reformist agenda.

Wait when did you jump to the Carson wagon? I thought you were a Trumper.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think it might hurt his national support. I mean how many numbers was the man of the cloth last election pulling? Carson gets Iowa full stop though.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What was with that Reuters poll someone posted a couple of days ago that showed Carson dropping a lot? lovely pollster or a more recent polling period?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Wait when did you jump to the Carson wagon? I thought you were a Trumper.

Trump was down in the polls for a couple days, and smooth discovered all the things said about Obama? Well they were actually said by Democrats about DR Carson

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh Jindal, oh honey no:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/06/jindal-challenges-cruz-to-a-debate/?postshare=3771446826912534

quote:

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) on Friday challenged his 2016 rival, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), to a one-on-one debate next week in Milwaukee, a move that highlights the intensifying competition for the support of conservatives.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Somehow sadder than Jeb!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Bobby "Please pay attention to me remember when I used to be a rising superstar?" Jindal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

pathetic little tramp posted:

• Locked thread