Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, development proper of TES3 came much later than 1996. And even then they spent a massive amount of time working on creating the toolset for modding first, and then built the game using the same tools.

In typical CIG rear end backwards fashion, they've decided to build the game first and then make the tools for modding. Anyone can tell you this wont work but "dreams"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In typical CIG rear end backwards fashion, they've decided to build the game first and then make the tools for modding. Anyone can tell you this wont work but "dreams"

Actually, you just don't understand Game Development

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, development proper of TES3 came much later than 1996. And even then they spent a massive amount of time working on creating the toolset for modding first, and then built the game using the same tools.

U wot m8. They decided to build all assets first and then make the game and then the tools for modding. Because that's how game development works. Obviously you have never developed a successful game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And Morrowind released in 2002, they'd have to be counting the development time on the expansions to reach 2004 and it would still be wrong, because they were both released in 2003.

e: Ahaha, development didn't even start until 1999, it was just conceived of in '96. So rather than the eight years they claim, it was only 3!

I see people confused about this all the time so lemme explain Citizen arithmetic:

• Select game
  • Determine which came first: public announcement or release of previous game in same series.
  • Calculate time from that date until release, then add about half a year to number.
  • If calculated time is less than six years, skip this and try with another game

For Star Citizen on the other hand, arithmetic is like this:
  • How long since they opened their last studio and/or claimed said studio began working
  • If above time is long, make up shorter time

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What, engine development doesn't count as game development? lol

StarEngine was developed from scratch in 2014 pretty good pace imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The greatest Citizen was that dude that claimed procedural generation of planets and stuff would be really, really easy, like click checkbox easy

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Tie credit card to game to purchase space cola with real money, to support development.

QUESTION: Will the real money vending machines offer space Code Red?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The greatest Citizen was that dude that claimed procedural generation of planets and stuff would be really, really easy, like click checkbox easy

Well Elite Dangerous did it and it's a poo poo game making everything easy so it must be easy it's just like that. SC is superior and way more complex and deep than any of this poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dont forget to click the "crysis level fidelity" box too

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

dont forget to click the "crysis level fidelity" box too

+ birds

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

I see people confused about this all the time so lemme explain Citizen arithmetic:

• Select game
  • Determine which came first: public announcement or release of previous game in same series.
  • Calculate time from that date until release, then add about half a year to number.
  • If calculated time is less than six years, skip this and try with another game

For Star Citizen on the other hand, arithmetic is like this:
  • How long since they opened their last studio and/or claimed said studio began working
  • If above time is long, make up shorter time

This is completely accurate.

I can kind of understand these people, too. They know the game is already 2 years behind schedule. They need justifications for this, and this kind of arithmetic is the best way to justify statements like "I would be okay with a 2020 release date because that's how development works". Even though a 2020 release would mean the game is 6 years late.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well I mean I do really like beer. It's delicious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Hopefully when the introduce clothes they also add space fedoras. That alone could get them to 150 million.

They can't get any animation right. You want them to gently caress up the classic tip mocap?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, on the one hand by not being here last night I missed a bunch of stuff in the thread, but on the other hand I got to go with my friends to look at a car in some shitholy fly-by-night scam dealership. It was like Star Citizen: The Ride.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This week's ATV has left me largely unsettled

-70 points, this guy is a hero

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How about the fact that they won't even begin to figure out how to incorporate private servers until the game is done and live. I am not an expert but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing you can slap on to the end of development.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How about the fact that they won't even begin to figure out how to incorporate private servers until the game is done and live. I am not an expert but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing you can slap on to the end of development.

It's fairly easy, while they planned to tack on private servers, this obviously won't ever happen and we won't see that in the end - if we see anything at all.

BUT they have to keep the backers hopeful, because hope is the thing they build on and why people actually spend money for this project. Hope is their foundation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And Morrowind released in 2002, they'd have to be counting the development time on the expansions to reach 2004 and it would still be wrong, because they were both released in 2003.

e: Ahaha, development didn't even start until 1999, it was just conceived of in '96. So rather than the eight years they claim, it was only 3!

There's also the question of what actual sources they use for those years. It says “Wikipedia” in the lower right, but almost none of them even remotely correspond to what Wikipedia actually says. Nowhere on the SWToR page does 2006 appear. The SWToR wikia says 2005…

Of course, if you pick the numbers quoted in wikipedia, it doesn't look as good any more:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FrankieGoes posted:

I don't know about the rest of it, but the penectomy and razor into the old ovaries are a direct and accurate quote, because they're seared into my brain.

But you forgot about the restaurants where Star Citizens get limbs cut off, ground up, and fed back to them. And where losing SATAball teams get ground up after the game.

And then there's the whole Sandi bit...

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

quote:

Hi rootdarkarchon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am very sorry you felt the need to perform a chargeback, however chargebacks should only ever be used for cases of genuine fraud, where you have had no recollection of making the payment yourself. Using a chargeback as a means to gain a refund is a misuse of the system, and damages both us, and your own ability to use the payment provider in the future. Unfortunately if you decide to do this, I will have to take a note of this down to provide the information to Paypal.

I apologise that we cannot offer you a refund, however as stated by my colleagues before you are outside of the 14 day grace period and are not eligible for one. If you require any further assistance please let us know, thanks.

Best Regards

Amy
Billing Support Representative
Cloud Imperium Games

:smuggo:

So SA, see this, what do?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

darkarchon posted:

It's fairly easy, while they planned to tack on private servers, this obviously won't ever happen and we won't see that in the end - if we see anything at all.

BUT they have to keep the backers hopeful, because hope is the thing they build on and why people actually spend money for this project. Hope is their foundation.

How is it fairly easy? I mean if that was the case wouldn't Frontier have already done it?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

darkarchon posted:

Chargeback. Those fuckers aren't your bank, they don't get to make the call about what's a valid reason and what isn't.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How is it fairly easy? I mean if that was the case wouldn't Frontier have already done it?

It's fairly easy that they keep silent on this until the bitter end, I mean. It's not easy to implement, that's a huge bitch.

Beet Wagon posted:

Chargeback. Those fuckers aren't your bank, they don't get to make the call about what's a valid reason and what isn't.

Well it's paypal, getting kicked off Paypal wouldn't be very good, though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I have to say, from loving over a backer who got screwed, discussing an amorphous development schedule, a crazy rear end 10ftc...to releasing a space jpeg dealership, this week ranks up there in entertainment and will be hard to beat. And hell, we haven't had RtV yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The answer is pretty simple. Modding/ Private Servers/ Etc will be the "last" thing they look at after everything else is done. Now as development for everything else will approach infinity, they will never reach the point where they'll have to worry about those things.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

darkarchon posted:

It's fairly easy that they keep silent on this until the bitter end, I mean. It's not easy to implement, that's a huge bitch.

Hmm... maybe try voodoo and various other dark magicks?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

darkarchon posted:

Link them this:

https://support.worldpay.com/support/kb/bg/disputemanagement/dp5404.htm

And cite "Merchandise/service not as described" and "Defective merchandise" being your reasons for chargeback, depending on whether they choose the game is or isn't substantially released.

They either have to admit the game is not substantially release, or the game is released, broken, and not fit for purpose.

Result for you, Win/Win.

Saying chargebacks are only for fraud is patently untrue, and probably perfect ammo for court cases.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 5, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Haha form responses towards chargebacks. They are so full of poo poo

Geguri Gegogi
Oct 13, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Hello I saw your post and realized i had taken a picture a while ago to post in GWS.

Yuck, this is an insult to Korean food. Why is all your banchan on one plate? Also, what are you doing with gochujjang on the side? Dipping things in it? Double yuck.

Get thee some ssamjjang instead.

Also, odeng, is literally fish bologna. I still like it though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

darkarchon posted:

do the chargeback

Tortolia posted:

Haha form responses towards chargebacks. They are so full of poo poo

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
The most infinite development process in the history of gaming.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Geguri Gegogi posted:

Yuck, this is an insult to Korean food. Why is all your banchan on one plate? Also, what are you doing with gochujjang on the side? Dipping things in it? Double yuck.

Get thee some ssamjjang instead.

Also, odeng, is literally fish bologna. I still like it though.

put ketchup on and stick it on some bread imo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

darkarchon posted:

chargeback, you wont get kicked off paypal just make sure to explain the whole situation clearly and preferably with documentation or whatever. also, their email is absolutely full of lies.

quote:

I am very sorry you felt the need to perform a chargeback, however chargebacks should only ever be used for cases of genuine fraud, where you have had no recollection of making the payment yourself. Using a chargeback as a means to gain a refund is a misuse of the system, and damages both us, and your own ability to use the payment provider in the future

jesus this is loving reprehensible. i feel sorry for fools who won't know better when they get this response.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 5, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

darkarchon posted:

"I live in the EU, give me my loving money."

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
They aren't going to report poo poo to PayPal.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

That response has me pretty angry right now. They're lying through their teeth and breaking consumer laws doing so to protect their dwindling cash reserves.

Company will massively downsize/fold within the next 12 months, and that's only if they survive legal action.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

quote:

Hello Amy,

see I don't want to do a chargeback, you don't really leave me any other options. I don't understand why you won't refund me.

There are literally hundreds of people, many who invested way more than me, who actually got their refunds - many of those bought in in the period I did as well. Chris' himself stated that everyone who is not happy with the project can receive a refund. So you're rowing back on that, yes?

https://support.worldpay.com/support/kb/bg/disputemanagement/dp5404.htm
"Merchandise/service not as described" and "Defective merchandise" - this fits this project pretty accurately. When you're telling me that 2.x is a substantial release of what is to come, I have to say, it's pretty broken and not at all what I - and many others - was/were promised by Mr. Roberts. So in the case of that is a substantial release, I can issue a chargeback, in the case it isn't the reasons you cited in the most generic denial mail ever are void.

Under EU regulations as well I can receive my money back 14 days after I received the final product. Given that there is no final product, and none in sight, I see myself in the right here. Maybe I should give the "Verbraucherschutz" in Germany a call as well and ask for their assistance in this case.

That good, yes?

darkarchon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 5, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KM Scorchio posted:

The most infinite development process in the history of gaming.

The guys at frontier straight up and said "This will be a 10 year project" and their scope is still a fraction of what CIG is coming up for their game. CIG hasnt even release EP1 of SQ42 and there are supposed to be 5! There is no part of the project as it is right now that you can look and go "This is complete" because even the ships are constantly being reworked when they figure out something hosed up in their flight system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG isn't going to do it for the exact same reason Frontier didn't do it, and it has nothing to do with difficulty of deployment: Money. Private servers eat into the cash shop revenues.

Eventually CIG will announce private servers aren't going to happen, instead CIG is going to be working on some <NEW FEATURE> instead, and the "Citizens" will thank chris for it.

• Locked thread